A Quiet Place Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #1 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 6938
A Quiet Place Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this compelling horror thriller set in a post-apocalyptic world, where a family is forced to live in silence while hiding from monsters with ultra-sensitive hearing.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: John Krasinski, Emilt Blunt, Noah Jupe, Millicent Simmonds
Directed by: John Krasinski
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: John Krasinski, Bryan Woods, Scott Beck
Region Code: A

Release Date: July 10, 2018

"If They Hear You…"

My Take:

A Quiet Place follows a family who must navigate their lives in silence to avoid mysterious creatures that hunt by sound. Knowing that even the slightest whisper or footstep can bring death, Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and Lee (John Krasinski) are determined to find a way to protect their children at all costs while they desperately search for a way to fight back.

I love a good horror thriller and after seeing the teaser trailer for A Quiet Place I was all in. I am a fan of both John Krasinski, who directed and co-wrote the film, and Emily Blunt, plus the premise looked very intriguing. I took the film in during its theatrical run after my son saw it and gave it high praises.

Narrow in scope, and teeming with atmosphere, and suspense, this is an engaging, genre bending thriller, that grabs hold early on and doesn’t let up. After brief introductions it sets the stage for the primary menace via a disturbing event. We are quickly connected to the family afterward and come to care about them as they expertly navigate the perilous environment by remaining as quiet as humanly possible. Unfortunately, a series of events both foreseen and unforeseen bring them directly into harm’s way on one fateful evening. The narrative’s unraveling tale is executed so well, so as to keep you seeing only what is intended, until the moment chosen to unhinge its direction.

The cinematography and soundtrack are top notch, playing a definitive role in the proceedings. The pacing is spot on, allowing the subtext and thematic underpinnings to maintain the plot’s focus. The final moments fall prey to horror movie clichés somewhat, but I had no problem with that. I thought that the four cast members did a fantastic job, enjoying superb chemistry that underscored the film’s multiple themes. I found A Quiet Place every bit as compelling and entertaining during this second viewing and have added it to my collection of dark thrillers.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for terror and some bloody images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 94

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

A Quiet Place comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray, A Quiet Place was rendered from 35mm film sources and finished on a 2K Digital Intermediate.

From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in the presentation, which bests the 1080p version, which is no slouch. I wouldn’t describe this film as overtly colorful, however, there are elements, such as the wide-angle shots of the mountainous region, and forest lands, where the palate of autumn-based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing vividly pleasing and lifelike. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable texture on interior surfaces, metallic objects, and physical features.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, such as Marcus’ flashlight cutting through the dark as he crawls through the cornfield or later as he and Regan struggle in the interior of the silo. A Quiet Place contains a host of sun splashed, daytime segments, which appeared more vibrant and tonally gradational compared to the Blu-ray. The film’s plethora of defining low level sequences had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast.

Based upon the excellent quality of the original source the difference between viewing A Quiet Place in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day, but there is no question that its UHD presentation benefitted from the increase in resolution, and high dynamic range treatment. Mimicking what I saw during its theatrical presentation this is among the better releases I have seen from the format and I hope to see more like it going forward.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for A Quiet Place, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference. Both looked terrific, leaving me similarly satisfied with what I saw.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. The use of audio objects placed above and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. The film’s critical moments, swallow you up as the mix elevates tension, placing sounds throughout the soundstage.

The attention to detail here is noticeably on display, giving you a taste of what is to come early on (right around the 20-minute mark), when one of the kids knocks over a lamp. This is followed later by the engaging scene in the basement (46 minutes in) when Evelyn must think quickly or buy the farm. The film’s best sound moment takes place in the silo. None of these are overlong but, sound terrific.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement, which complimented the source material. Woo Hoo!

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

A Quiet Place comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. A Quiet Place looks great on Blu-ray.

The 7.1 Dolby True HD (Atmos core) soundtrack is excellent and truly enhances the film’s overall presentation. This is a dynamically gratifying surround mix that features high level detail, superlative clarity and room filling surround sound. This is sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Spot on imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. This is not an ostentatious audio presentation but it offers engaging bass extension that produces smooth, palpably rich low frequencies that energize the room (bass fans are going to love it!). When applicable dialog is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. End to end this is an attention-grabbing home theater presentation that plays perfectly to this film’s thematic content. Crank it up and enjoy!

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: A Quiet Place Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: A Quiet Place Blu-ray
  • Creating the Quiet – Behind the Scenes featurette
  • The Sound of Darkness – Editing Sound featurette
  • A Reason for Silence – Visual Effects featurette
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Co-written and directed by star John Krasinski, A Quiet Place is an engaging, well-executed, and head turning horror/thriller that delivers a terrific theatrical experience. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers sparkling image quality, while invigorating the listening experience with a rousing Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and room shaking sound. Also included is a fair assortment of extras that are worth exploring. A Quiet Place is a must see for genre fans and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 2259
This is one of the few movies I saw in the theaters because I couldn't wait. I am really excited to see it at home since it was so "quiet" that the theater noise was distracting at times. Happy to see it get a good release!
Ralph Potts and Rengozu like this.
post #3 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Enjoyed the movie in the theater and am looking forward to seeing it again in my home theater. There are plans in the works for a sequel. Hopefully it will be as good as the original.

https://deadline.com/2018/05/john-kr...re-1202384737/
Ralph Potts likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 256
nice review Ralph! I got mine to spin hopefully in the next few days. Looking good spec wise from what you're saying
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 3773
Thanks Ralph. Haven't bought blind in a while, but might for this one.
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.
post #6 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 7774 Post(s)
Liked: 6937
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema. The movie has a nice Atmos mix. I always find it easier to appreciate immersive mixes when the soundtrack is quiet (e.g., Gravity) rather than bombastic. The movie itself was really good. Every dollar of the $17M budget was on the screen.

Sanjay
post #7 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
nice review Ralph! I got mine to spin hopefully in the next few days. Looking good spec wise from what you're saying
Not sure if you've seen it Mike but, it's a solid thriller that's made all the better by the presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks Ralph. Haven't bought blind in a while, but might for this one.
Go for it Todd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema. The movie has a nice Atmos mix. I always find it easier to appreciate immersive mixes when the soundtrack is quiet (e.g., Gravity) rather than bombastic. The movie itself was really good. Every dollar of the $17M budget was on the screen.
Agreed Sanjay. This one is perfectly suited to it and works very well at home.

Regards,
sdurani and Toe like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Great stuff, Ralph. Was looking forward to this review and can't wait to see this movie. I'm trying to hold off on grabbing the UHD/DV/Atmos version from Vudu, which is already available and calling to me...
Ralph Potts likes this.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #9 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Hey Ralph...excellent review (as always)! I stated earlier when you announced this release that I had pre-ordered the UHD version from Amazon. It arrives on July 10th but I'm having my sister over the weekend before and she, like me, LOVES a good horror movie so I may just have to rent the Blu-ray from Redbox for her sake.

I have read nothing but raving reviews from those with Dolby Atmos speakers so I can't wait to HEAR the audio mix. I don't even care that the actors won't be speaking much....as long as we have precise and accurate effects (musical and otherwise) above us that add to the overall "scares!"
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #10 of 90 Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 775
This genre is generally one I don't take an interest in, but this one looks good. "Let the Right One In" and "Don't Breathe" have been the last horror-ish movies I've seen, and they were fantastic. I may have to give this one a go due to the high score for both the movie and AV score. Thanks, Ralph!

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #11 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Ralph...excellent review (as always)! I stated earlier when you announced this release that I had pre-ordered the UHD version from Amazon. It arrives on July 10th but I'm having my sister over the weekend before and she, like me, LOVES a good horror movie so I may just have to rent the Blu-ray from Redbox for her sake.

I have read nothing but raving reviews from those with Dolby Atmos speakers so I can't wait to HEAR the audio mix. I don't even care that the actors won't be speaking much....as long as we have precise and accurate effects (musical and otherwise) above us that add to the overall "scares!"

Greetings,

Thanks Denny. I really hope you guys enjoy it but, you'll definitely want to check it out in its full glory...

Regards,
djoberg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
I’ve been keeping an eye on this, as the commercials make it seem like less of a horror movie and more of a Cloverfield-esque “what are they?” Thriller? I generally avoid horror movies because I detest the content (cheap scare attempts, pointless whispers in quiet tunnels, etc.) Is this truly an unconventional films that avoids these typical pitfalls? I hope so! I’m ready to grab if it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #13 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I watched this for the first time on my bedroom set up last night - 4k UHD 5.1 from VUDU. I can't wait to rewatch on my Atmos set up. I didn't think it was scary, but it was a solid flick. There were a few scenes that took me out of the movie.

Spoiler!

Overall, I really enjoyed it in the way I dug Lights Out...suspenseful, easy to follow, and the right amount of time (90min).
post #14 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I’ve been keeping an eye on this, as the commercials make it seem like less of a horror movie and more of a Cloverfield-esque “what are they?” Thriller? I generally avoid horror movies because I detest the content (cheap scare attempts, pointless whispers in quiet tunnels, etc.) Is this truly an unconventional films that avoids these typical pitfalls? I hope so! I’m ready to grab if it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Greetings,

Definitely more thriller than horror. Not really like Cloverfield but, more like that than a typical horror flick. I think you'll be fine..

Regards,
BrolicBeast likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Great stuff, Ralph. Was looking forward to this review and can't wait to see this movie. I'm trying to hold off on grabbing the UHD/DV/Atmos version from Vudu, which is already available and calling to me...
This is one of the few movies where the VUDU Disc+ digital has an option for the UHD Disc.
Jack Gilvey likes this.
post #16 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You got me interested Ralph, I'll have to check this out. I do like Emily Blunt - first film of hers I saw was "Wind Chill".
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Excellent review, Ralph! Precise comments about the Dolby Atmos mix !!

I was wondering: the featurettes (especially the one on sound design) contain good information on the sound concepts for the feature? How long are they? Something on level of "Gravity", I hope?

Again, congratulations!
post #18 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS View Post
You got me interested Ralph, I'll have to check this out. I do like Emily Blunt - first film of hers I saw was "Wind Chill".

Perfectly cast in "Sicario".
Ralph Potts and BrolicBeast like this.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #19 of 90 Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
Yeah spot on Ralph with the movie and glad to be in the chorus this time. I saw a lossy streaming version and it was still very much good quality, so I can't wait for the real deal, this would also would be a great via headphones with the Smyth Realiser http://www.smyth-research.com/index.htmlA16, if it ever makes it into my possession.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #20 of 90 Old 07-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2889 Post(s)
Liked: 2861
Nice review:

Thinking of watching this (streaming) tonight or tomorrow.

Question: I see the film described both as very quiet...but "bass fans are going to love this."

Is this one of those movies that keeps everything really quiet, so you turn up the sound, and then suddenly in parts hits you over the head with meter-pinning volume (e.g. giant bump scares etc)?

That stuff kind of drives me nuts, so I'd like to be prepared with the volume control if it's the case.
shivaji and BrolicBeast like this.
post #21 of 90 Old 07-02-2018, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Nice review:

Thinking of watching this (streaming) tonight or tomorrow.

Question: I see the film described both as very quiet...but "bass fans are going to love this."

Is this one of those movies that keeps everything really quiet, so you turn up the sound, and then suddenly in parts hits you over the head with meter-pinning volume (e.g. giant bump scares etc)?

That stuff kind of drives me nuts, so I'd like to be prepared with the volume control if it's the case.
Greetings,

It's not a "quiet" movie in terms of how the track is mixed. It's written that way so it comes by it naturally. It's not the sort where loud sounds suddenly knock you out of your socks etc. You'll be fine..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #22 of 90 Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 2302
Thanks Ralph Potts for the great review. I watched this on Vudu yesterday, as my girls were actually watching this, and then some shaking from the door caught my attention. So of course I had to join them.. The bass and Atmos were really well done, and now I think I will buy the disc.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 90 Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I usually find "quiet" to be a lot more unnerving than sudden loud noises which tend to release tension, but both can have their place in story telling if used to proper effect.

Too much "loud" always strikes me as a technique applied when the story line, dialogue, or action is weak to make me think it's better than it actually is.
Doesn't work in my case, just becomes annoying.
post #24 of 90 Old 07-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Can't wait.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #25 of 90 Old 07-05-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
This is one of the few movies where the VUDU Disc+ digital has an option for the UHD Disc.
This option (with immediate UHD/Atmos/Dolby Vision streaming and 4k disc shipped from Walmart after release) was the same price as disc only from Amazon so I went that route and we'll watch this weekend. Thanks!

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #26 of 90 Old 07-05-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Gave this a partial watch at the moment. Just a few impressions of the action.

Spoiler!
GOLFVUE3 likes this.
post #27 of 90 Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Gave this a partial watch at the moment. Just a few impressions of the action.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
A.Bell, shivaji and GOLFVUE3 like this.
post #28 of 90 Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 7774 Post(s)
Liked: 6937
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Spoiler!
That part seemed a little contrived.
Spoiler!
shivaji and GOLFVUE3 like this.

Sanjay
post #29 of 90 Old 07-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I pre-ordered from Amazon.... should be here next week on the 10th. I'm very much looking forward to this movie. Admittedly, I am a horror movie fan - but more in the line of classic movies such as The Omen from 1976, the Amityville Horror movies. This movie may be right up my alley which is why the pre-order. Can't wait!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #30 of 90 Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 531
The atmosphere and cinematography (not to mention sound immersion) are completely ruined by the half-baked premise within this movie...I couldn't get past the NUMEROUS (and there are MORE than a few) plot holes and logical inconsistencies that consistently distract from this movie. Really, REALLY don't get why this film was so highly rated.

Well acted, well paced and well shot...but the underlying story (once you start thinking about it), makes literally no sense...

Dolby TrueHD Atmos soundtrack was phenomenal though...

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page