• 1 Post By rboster

post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Blockers Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this comedy about a group of parents that stumble upon their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, after which, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: John Cena, Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz
Directed by: Kay Cannon
Music by: Mateo Messina
Written by: Brian Kehoe & Jim Kehoe
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: July 3, 2018

"Parents Can be Such…."

My Take:

Julie, Kayla and Sam are three high school seniors who make a pact to lose their virginity on prom night. Lisa, Mitchell and Hunter are three overprotective parents who flip out when they find out about their daughters' plans. They soon join forces for a wild and chaotic quest to stop the girls from sealing the deal -- no matter what the cost.

When I sat down to watch this film I didn’t have high hopes for it being an entertaining film experience. It turns out I was pleasantly surprised. I mean don’t get me wrong this is straight forward road trip/intervention comedy that isn’t anything unlike we haven’t seen, but it’s fun nonetheless. It provides enough of a character base/foundation to support it thematic flavor while integrating lots of slapstick, over the top situational humor, and entertaining interplay among the principle characters.

While there is a role reversal essence to the film, the proceedings revolve around a storyline that is relevant. The cast is clearly right at home with one another which allows their chemistry to shine through in support of the narrative’s tomfoolery. When all was said and done my wife and I found Blockers to be entertaining enough to make for a solid way to spend an evening when you’re in the mood for a funny bone tickling comedy with an edge.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude and sexual content and language throughout, drug content, teen partying, and some graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Blockers comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appear better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography. Contrast is dynamic without being overpowering and blacks are respectable in depth with discernible detail visible in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent.

This DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound track is cracking good and delivers crystal clear sound that is rich in sonic detail and effortless dynamics. Excellent tonal balance makes pans across the left, center and right channels appear seamless. Bass reproduction is taut, and the mix makes frequent use of the surrounds to reproduce the discrete and ambient sounds contained within the soundtrack. I enjoyed the enveloping nature of the audio and felt that the integration between the front and rear soundstages was spot on.

Bonus Features:
  • • Deleted Scenes
    • Gag Reel – The entire cast contributes to these on-set flubs.
    • Line-O-Rama – The laughs continue after the take!
    • Rescue Mission – Being a parent isn't easy, as Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz, and John Cena make abundantly clear. Hear them and director Kay Cannon discuss parental mistakes and lessons learned. They even top it off with a good old-fashioned car explosion!
    • Prom Night – Filmmakers and cast discuss how they achieved the perfect prom look and also share some of their own personal prom stories.
    • The History of Sex with Ike Barinholtz – Ike Barinholtz explains the origins of human sexuality and its evolution through time.
    • John Cena’s Prom Survival Kit for Parents – John Cena shows off a survival kit filled with items that will help parents survive the most stressful time of year - prom season!
    • Chug! Chug! Chug! – The film introduced the world to the concept of "butt chugging." Hear cast, crew, and butt-chugger John Cena discuss how they handled this standout scene.
    • Puke-a-Palooza – One memorable scene involves copious amounts of projectile vomit. See what cast, filmmakers, and crew went through to make sure the puke was as authentic as possible.
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Blockers doesn’t break new ground conceptually speaking but, it makes the most of its cast and provided enough crass, politically incorrect, and at times laugh out loud situations to keep me chuckling along. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent technical merits mated with a fair supplement set. [i]Blockers[/i[ doesn’t reinvent the wheel but, has enough going for it to make for a decent rental when you’re up for a goofball comedy.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ralph,

Thank you for the review. Your conclusion sums it up nicely. My wife and I were entertained; were it not for the alcohol through the back-door scene, we would even rate it higher. I don't know why the film makers think scenes like that have to be in any modern comedy. For example the pooping on the street scene in "Bridesmaids" completely spoiled the movie for me. For the story line entirely unnecessary and tasteless.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
I skipped this one because I figured it would have a tasteless moment or two that would ruin it for me. Thanks to @RalphP otts and @boguspomp2 for confirming my suspicions. And yes, Ralph, I'm a curmudgeon.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2018, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I skipped this one because I figured it would have a tasteless moment or two that would ruin it for me. Thanks to @RalphP otts and @boguspomp2 for confirming my suspicions. And yes, Ralph, I'm a curmudgeon.
Greetings,

Maybe just a little @Dave Vaughn ..

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
@Dave Vaughn

...A bad tempered or surly person? I had to look up the word curmudgeon. Even after speaking English for a very long time, I never heard of that one before. But after being on this website for 14 years I have to say that I don't think you are any of that. I believe we are in the same age group, give or take, and what is offered these days in the comedy section is just not made for our kinds of minds.

I would give any of these movies for something like "The Philadelphia Story", or "My Girl Friday" or even Pillow Talk, just to be entertained again in a tasteful way.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Cheers
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2062 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp2 View Post
Ralph,

Thank you for the review. Your conclusion sums it up nicely. My wife and I were entertained; were it not for the alcohol through the back-door scene, we would even rate it higher. I don't know why the film makers think scenes like that have to be in any modern comedy. For example the pooping on the street scene in "Bridesmaids" completely spoiled the movie for me. For the story line entirely unnecessary and tasteless.

Cheers
I was actually laughing pretty hard at that scene, and it was "clean" for what could have been a very gross scene. Once again, John Cena stole the entire movie. He is freaking hilarious.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I rented this from Netflix and found the movie to be hilarious. I was also laughing hard at the "chugging" scene
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
We watched the blu ray this weekend. I was a little disappointed...it was fine (if renting), but I wish I hadn't bought it. I see a low "re-watch" factor. One joke that made me laugh out loud was the line about "American Beauty" was really smart.

For me the Leslie Mann and John Cena characters were really annoying (and poorly written). I've like Leslie Mann's performances in the past, so I assume it was the writing. For me, I realize a little of John Cena goes a long way. I loved him in "Trainwreck" when his role was basically a cameo...but his "stiff" acting skills can't carry a movie. On the other hand, Ike Barinholtz showed he can take a one dimensional character and still make him very funny. I thought he was able to over come the mediocre writing.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page