Transporter 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By Rengozu
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 2 Post By boguspomp2
  • 1 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By wxman

post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Transporter 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray debut of the third installment in the Transporter film series that stars Jason Statham as Frank Martin, the Transporter.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 104 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: > Jason Statham, Natalya Rudakova, Francois Berleano, Robert Knepper
Directed by: Olivier Megaton
Music by: Alexandre Azaria
Written by: Luc Besson & Robert Mark Kamen
Region Code: A

Release Date: August 7, 2018

"This Time the Rules are the Same. Except One…"

My Take:

I reviewed Transporter 3’s 2009 Blu-ray release, and have included my comments from that review here. Ratings for film, and bonus content will be the same, as they are identical to that release. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video and Dolby Atmos mix are below.

Jason Statham is back as Frank Martin, the Transporter, in this explosive third installment of the action-adventure series. This time, Frank is presented an offer he can’t refuse and ends up with a mysterious passenger and a dangerous destination -- calling for a new machine and new rules. The stakes are bigger, the enemy is deadlier, and the action has never been hotter.

I own the first two Transporter movies on Blu-ray and enjoy them. As a genre fan I like their non stop action and high octane adrenaline. I think the first one set the tone while the second veered a bit left and took a detour that made it feel too different from the original. The plot in <i>Transporter 3</i> feels more like the Transporter in concept but doesn’t have the smooth pacing, clever direction and fresh appeal that it has. This story once again finds our man Frank in the driver’s seat and facing incredible odds. He is unwillingly attached to this latest package by an American named Johnson who has been hired to ensure the control of a political official named Vasilev. The plot is simple, deliver the package (a young Croatian woman named Valentina), to a specific location as guided by Johnson. The rub occurs in that in order to ensure compliance both Frank and Valentina have been fitted with tamperproof bracelets that will blow them to pieces if they travel more that 75 feet from Frank’s car.

I don’t know about you but I don’t watch films like this expecting well rounded scripts, deep characters, and award-winning performances. Movies like this require the suspension of belief in realism which allows an escape into a world where pretty much anything is possible in order to achieve the desired goal. The goal of course is mindless entertainment, derived from action-based elements that are exciting, physically demanding, thoroughly unbelievable and of course fun to watch. There is plenty of fast packed action, outlandish stunts (a car/bicycle chase and two-wheel balancing maneuver between the tractor trailers), hand to hand combat, and gunplay/explosions to satisfy action junkies. There is a bit of romance that felt a little out of place but, it didn’t have a significant bearing on the course of the film so it’s forgivable.

Jason Statham is in prime shape and offers his requisite physical talents to the part. I think that the original is still the best of the three while this one and Transporter 2 seem to be on equal ground. Either way I had a great time.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence, some sexual content and drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 84

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Transporter 3 comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Transporter 3 was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in this presentation. The Ultra HD presentation bests the 1080p versions in most respects, but the margin isn’t eye opening. I wouldn’t describe Transporter 3 as overtly colorful, however, its palate of autumn-based hues, sepia tones and variants of primary colors benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing slightly warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features when compared to the Blu-ray.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, such as the car explosions in the opening and after the extended chase, or the big bang in the finale. I noticed some minor clipping of white detail in a few of the sun splashed exterior shots but, otherwise found the film’s daytime segments to appear vibrant and tonally gradational. I noticed that some of the detail in the background was crushed during the opening sequence in the bowels of the freighter. The nighttime scene at Frank’s house shortly after had appreciable dimension and emboldened contrast. I think that Transporter 3 benefitted from the Ultra HD treatment. The improvement is a discernible one that elevated the experience of watching the film.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Transporter 3, I found the HDR elements contained in the DV rendering to be better balanced. I noticed that the aforementioned scene aboard the freighter in the film’s opening offered slightly better handling of shadow detail and stages of black. I also felt that the gradations in white detail were easier to see. Specular highlights were pretty even from what I could tell. Frankly, this presentation doesn’t make abundant use of high dynamic range but, if I had to choose which version I preferred it would be Dolby Vision.

The new Dolby Atmos mix improves upon the previous 7.1 channel soundtrack, which was excellent in its own right. The track run the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialog to dynamically charged sequences that deliver involving surround sound. As an enthusiast, I appreciate a well-crafted sound mix that draws me into the onscreen elements, regardless of where the sounds are emanating from. Audio object placement from both above and in the listening plane at ear level, are put to effective use.

The car chases, explosions and spacial cues have always made this track fun and this mix makes them even better, generating a correlated, and broad soundstage where effects swirl, shift and traverse the listening area. I also appreciated the effectiveness of the added dimension during sequences where subtle ambient effects replicated the environments contained in the scene. Overall, I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I think that this immersive sound mix complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Transporter 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Transporter 3 Blu-ray
  • Legacy Bonus Material
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Transporter 3 isn’t great cinema but if you like mindless, high octane action flicks it’s a home run. It is making its Ultra HD Blu-ray debut in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Lionsgate Home Entertainment, featuring a faithful video rendering (which includes Dolby Vision HDR), a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and middling supplemental package, that includes legacy material. If you’re a fan this release is worth picking up if the price is right.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Thanks for the review. My first thought was, "They made a 3rd movie?". My second thought was, "Where is the original movie?"
Rengozu and Ralph Potts like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Ugh, a week of basically nothing until we can all see the Marvel you reviewed a week ago. Wish I could just snap my fingers to cut the wait down, as it feels like an Infinity!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Thanks for the review. My first thought was, "They made a 3rd movie?". My second thought was, "Where is the original movie?"
Transporter one and two were Fox releases, only the third one was released by Lionsgate. Video rights may have reverted from Fox to Europa Corp., both companies are a bit in flux at the moment.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ralph,
Thx for the review. I can't help it but I like these Transporter films. Even No.4 was kind of entertaining, although Jason Statham was missing. The problem I have with this one is that the girl has the acting skills of a broom stick. There was no chemistry between the two neither. Otherwise typical Luc Besson over the top action scenes and enough story line to keep us entertained.
Cheers
Cal68 and Ralph Potts like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I'm like boguspomp2 in that I too enjoy watching these Transporter movies even though I know that they are not in the Frederico Fellini universe! They are guilty pleasures I suppose. But I think that I will wait for this movie to become available at some bargain basement bin and then buy it. Mainly for the upgraded soundtrack. Thanks for another good review Ralph, I would not have even known that Lionsgate had decided to make a UHD version of this movie if not for your review!

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 514
1st movie, epic, second movie was so/so, third movie brought it back around again and was really great to watch... But I will wait for some second hand copies to pop up or for a sale for these movies since I already own them on Bluray anyways.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4045
I watched this last night on my Oppo 203 and LG E6 in DV. Was not all that impressed with the PQ. Average at best for a UHD disc and agree with you relatively low score of 84 for DV PQ. IMO, too much black crush.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page