The Matrix Trilogy is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Haha. It could be worse. At one point, I went so far as to rip each of the Animatrix segments, creating individual MKV files for each one (and the films), and then lining them and the movies up all in chronological order. I wonder what happened to that old ultra Matrix mega mix of mine? Oh, well. Looks like I'll have to recreate it. That made for a pretty epic marathon.

Ah, great minds think alike......!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 08-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Hopefully they will edit out that gawdawful appalling cringe underground dance scene after Samuel L. Jackson's rah rah speech from the second movie.

You got the wrong actor there! And there was nothing wrong with the speech, but I do share your distaste for the extended music video dance sequence. It doesn't move the story forward and seems stuck in there to be cool or just to be a music video in an otherwise excellent movie.

You and I may be in the minority here on cringing through the dance scene, but we can just fast forward.... editing is a bit extreme!

The sequence resolves though as a fine a backdrop to the intimate conversation and relationship scene for Neo and Trinity.

I actually think the first film is incomplete alone. It is the first chapter of a three part materpiece. I'm glad all three will be available with Atmos in UHD.
post #33 of 47 Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
And there was nothing wrong with the speech, but I do share your distaste for the extended music video dance sequence. It doesn't move the story forward and seems stuck in there to be cool or just to be a music video in an otherwise excellent movie.

You and I may be in the minority here on cringing through the dance scene,

I would like to join your minority.....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Don't understand all the hate for the mega-rave orgy dance party to ring in what could be the final moments of humanity before the machines ended it. Seemed fitting to me.
Ralph Potts, Toe, Frank714 and 2 others like this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #35 of 47 Old 08-23-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Don't understand all the hate for the mega-rave orgy dance party to ring in what could be the final moments of humanity before the machines ended it. Seemed fitting to me.

Not necessarily a hate thing, more of strong dislike...... It just doesn't add anything to the story for me, tossed in there for some kind of sex appeal only. Others though will have an entirely different perception, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #36 of 47 Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Haha. I think I'm on your side of the argument. I felt it was demonstrating humanity going all primal before what they thought was their impending doom, having one last [extreme] hurrah. I loved the scene. However it was made a bit awkward the first time I saw it, because I went to see that one with my mom (who actually loves the Matrix movies). Even if I'm a grown man, watching "adult" scenes like that around my parents still makes me cringe a bit. That said, I still think the scene was awesome...especially with a killer sound system like many here have. Ironically, my mom said she thought that scene was so cool with all the dancing and tribal like beats. I was like "What?! Really?" Still awkward to me nevertheless. Lol
post #37 of 47 Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I can handle cringing through the brief dance scene, and I don't mean by commenting on that one blemish to overshadow that it is within a film I believe is the second part of a masterpiece work of a film trilogy. I did write:

"... the first film is incomplete alone. It is the first chapter of a three part masterpiece. I'm glad all three will be available with Atmos in UHD." (edit=typo fixed)
post #38 of 47 Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can handle cringing through the brief dance scene, and I don't mean by commenting on that one blemish to overshadow that it is within a film I believe is the second part of a masterpiece work of a film trilogy. I did write:

"... the first film is incomplete alone. It is the first chapter of a three part masterpiece. I'm glad all three will be available with Atmos in UHD." (edit=typo fixed)
That's a great point. I think when it came out, perhaps too many people critiqued each movie individually perhaps a bit too much, not realizing that they're really meant to be taken in as one cohesive story. It's pretty epic when you put all the pieces together, including the Animatrix, AND the comic anthologies (can't forget those! http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/The_Matrix_Comics) which really adds SOOOO much to the entire theme as a whole. In fact, perhaps I liked the sequels so much because of the Animatrix and the comics.
post #39 of 47 Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Haha. It could be worse. At one point, I went so far as to rip each of the Animatrix segments, creating individual MKV files for each one (and the films), and then lining them and the movies up all in chronological order. ... That made for a pretty epic marathon.
Now that is something I never did with my copy. Interesting food for thought. I wonder if I have enough time?

Quote:
You got the wrong actor there! And there was nothing wrong with the speech, but I do share your distaste for the extended music video dance sequence. It doesn't move the story forward and seems stuck in there to be cool or just to be a music video in an otherwise excellent movie.

You and I may be in the minority here on cringing through the dance scene, but we can just fast forward.... editing is a bit extreme!

The sequence resolves though as a fine a backdrop to the intimate conversation and relationship scene for Neo and Trinity.

I actually think the first film is incomplete alone. It is the first chapter of a three part materpiece. I'm glad all three will be available with Atmos in UHD.
The dance scene to me added nothing and was time to get a beer, bathroom break, what have you. Editing it out is actually on my list should I make the above suggested compilation. But 1 bad scene doesn't ruin a movie or at least not this movie. There's a couple in there I could do without that would move the story along more smoothly for me, and no one that doesn't have the story memorized would miss them, precisely because they add nothing.

But this is only light editing, compared to movies like the Star Wars prequels that could majorly benefit from a heavy editing hand (in SW 1-3's case, you'd get maybe 90 minutes of combined worthwhile material, and even that's questionable). Jaws, which I just watched for the first time in many many years could use some serious editing. There's just too much plodding along given today's movies. I recall some of that when I watched it the first time, like geez, is anything going to happen? Like the entire 20 minutes or so at "night" on a soon to be sinking boat merrily drinking away and telling nonsensical war stories. Nothing happens at all and it does little to endear you to Capt Chum which I believe was its intent.
post #40 of 47 Old 09-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Haha. It could be worse. At one point, I went so far as to rip each of the Animatrix segments, creating individual MKV files for each one (and the films), and then lining them and the movies up all in chronological order. I wonder what happened to that old ultra Matrix mega mix of mine? Oh, well. Looks like I'll have to recreate it. That made for a pretty epic marathon.
So, does anyone have the proper sequence of the Animatrix segments for a disc swap-a-thon, if I finally cave and replace my Blu copies of the second two movies, or decide to watch the Blu versions again?
post #41 of 47 Old 09-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

"The Matrix Revolutions (UHD/ BD) [Blu-ray]"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.
Arg. What is strange is that they did not cancel Matrix Reloaded UHD in the same order. That and I can still put both back in my cart but the price is $5 more.
post #42 of 47 Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post
So, does anyone have the proper sequence of the Animatrix segments for a disc swap-a-thon, if I finally cave and replace my Blu copies of the second two movies, or decide to watch the Blu versions again?
Great question, and it is up for some debate, so proceed however you'd like. Perhaps check this link out to get started: http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
But I really have to agree with a lot of what this guy had to say on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/geek/commen...viewing_order/
To copy/paste him (hope that's ok):
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddit user, PooveyFarmsRacer
I chafe when people say the only good Matrix movie is the first one. I think with more immersion into the franchise's universe, and using some of the ancillary but canonical stories to fill in the gaps, fans of the first movie can dive deep into the universe so it makes more sense than what the films alone present.

Start with The Animatrix's "The Second Renaissance" Parts 1&2, which bridges the gap in history between the present (1999) and the story's setting.

Follow it up with "Beyond" from The Animatrix, which depicts life inside The Matrix for those still plugged in.

Then, you should watch another Animatrix story, "World Record." This is slotted here because it shows some of the oppression of the Matrix, establishes some of the rules of the world, and remains a little further removed from the main story of Neo.

Now move on to "A Detective Story," also from The Animatrix, because it introduces the main story's chronology yet is still set within the Matrix, as all the stories so far have been, and as the first movie starts.

Now, watch the film The Matrix and you will have a little more context surrounding the importance of The One, as well as the why and the what behind the Matrix itself.

After witnessing Neo's story, watch "Kid's Story" from The Animatrix, which shows Neo's influence in his new role. It's also next in the chronological story, and introduces Kid before his seemingly random appearance in Reloaded.

Then you can watch "Final Flight of the Osiris" (also in The Animatrix), which has direct implications for the second film, as does the plot of "Enter The Matrix," the PS2 and Xbox game. Watch the game edited into a movie, because it includes live-action filmed scenes as well as canonical cutscenes. These two stories together give you an idea of some of the activities of the ships in the human resistance, and what Zion's fleet is up to. Without these, some of the conversations in Reloaded require the audience to guess and use conjecture while they listen, which is a lot to ask of people who are only casually invested.

Finally, watch The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. They go back to back, because the "To be continued" at the end of Reloaded effectively makes them a single film in two parts. And now congratulations are in order, because you've gone from the real world, to the abstractions of the Matrix, to the specific story of Neo and the tale of humanity's liberation and emancipation.
And then maybe you'll agree the sequels aren't terrible and we don't have to keep pretend the sprawling franchise is only one good movie.
I'm just going to follow up with suggesting to also check out the excellent comics as well, which the entire compilations can be bought plenty cheap these days and aren't hard to come by. That redditor I quoted above talked about the video game, which a LOT of people overlooked unfortunately and as such were left confused by parts of the movies which were explained there. Thankfully, people have compiled the important video bits and plot points online so you don't have to play the admittedly lackluster game if you don't feel like it. See here:

Hope that helps out. HAVE FUN!!! I really do feel like the vast majority of people missed out on a lot of what was in the films because they (undertandably) didn't see the Animatrix or read the comics. The Wachowskis created quite a cohesive world that most have barely scratched the surface on. It really is massively impressive.
Bill Shakespeare likes this.
post #43 of 47 Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Just curious as to how the DV disc will be played for those with HDR projectors, which of course, do not accept DV?
My case, Oppo 203 and Sony 675ES.
post #44 of 47 Old 09-03-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
Just curious as to how the DV disc will be played for those with HDR projectors, which of course, do not accept DV?
My case, Oppo 203 and Sony 675ES.
Pretty sure it will simply fall back to standard HDR10. If I'm not mistaken, DV is simply a "layer" of sorts that kind of overlays HDR, so if you are watching a DV enhanced movie on a non-DV setup, it will still play just fine and will still look darn good.
post #45 of 47 Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Yeah I thought this scene was specifically meant to display raw humanity. I thought it was great, can't wait to check out the new releases.
Rengozu likes this.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Denon X4300H + Outlaw 2200 (Center)
Klipsch RP-250F, RP-450C - Dual PB-1000 Subs - Onkyo Satellites
post #46 of 47 Old 09-16-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgrin View Post
Yeah I thought this scene was specifically meant to display raw humanity. I thought it was great, can't wait to check out the new releases.
Yeah and it's been discussed as if they inserted a scene from Caligula lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Rengozu likes this.
post #47 of 47 Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The wait for the Trilogy's release on UHD is killing me here.

With all the beating Reloaded gets here, I'd like to highlight one favorite scene of mine (there are so many others in Reloaded that I lost track...) where Trinity, Morpheus and Neo visit the Merovingian.

One of the best speeches ever written for a film, IMHO (or is it V's speech in V for Vendetta?), I'm still constantly annoyed that Trinity, Morpheus and Neo (from the Merovingian's point of view) look somewhat soft on Blu-ray (or was that deliberate to make them look 'soft'?)

I just hope there was nothing wrong with the camera focus that day and keep my fingers crossed that the UHD release will make this particular scene shine in ultra detail glory.
shivaji and pspoar like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page