Deadpool 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 08-23-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Not every movie made is for the entire family. This is rated R, so people know what to expect. It is the parents responsibility to monitor their children's

viewing habits, etc. I for one, would not welcome a society where everything is censored to be as unoffensive as possible. My Grandson also wanted to see the
first one. I explained it isn't suitable for children, and he was disappointed but understood there many other movies he could watch.
Thanks. I was thinking of making a similar response, but yours was much better than I could have managed.
darthray and dan4081 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Thanks for the review!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.
Although there were maybe 2 scenes with 4th wall break commentary I liked from the Extended cut in general I preferred the Theater cut and I like the first DP movie better...at least so far.

Both the Audio and Video on the 1080p BD were stellar. There weren't as many opportunities for bass FX as in the first movie.

I viewed the Theater cut after the Extended. I found my second viewing more enjoyable in general since I knew what to expect. There are certainly some more serious scenes in this movie compared to the first movie (sometimes to make fun of the X-men movies and sometimes maybe not), this felt a bit choppy or uneven the first viewing, perhaps because of my expectations based on viewing the first movie the night before, on second viewing I was expecting the shifts which made the movie more enjoyable, at times this movie had the emotional sense of an X-Men movie (particularly the death/water scenes) which the first movie never seemed to visit.

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #33 of 68 Old 08-23-2018, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Great in the theater and liked the home re-watch too.

We should all be shirt c0cking like Porky Pig during the warm summer months.

AVS Forum Marketing Solutions
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 Old 08-23-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Damn it Marvel with another 2K DI... A shame since many of their movies do look fanstastic and I'm sure this will too but.. I want real 4k!
post #35 of 68 Old 08-23-2018, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Damn it Marvel with another 2K DI... A shame since many of their movies do look fanstastic and I'm sure this will too but.. I want real 4k!
Why focus more on the process rather than the result?

A great looking 2K DI is much better than a poor looking 4K DI. Even if Deadpool 2 is a 2K DI it looks pretty damn good.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #36 of 68 Old 08-24-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Will be watching... and more accurately "listening" to this movie tonight.

100 rating for the Blu-Ray audio! (looking forward (listening) Ralph)
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #37 of 68 Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I must say, I didn't noticed Domino's non shaved underarms in the cinema. Only when I watched it at home did I notice it lol. And Deadpool even makes a joke about it in the film.

Spoiler!
post #38 of 68 Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
I must say, I didn't noticed Domino's non shaved underarms in the cinema. Only when I watched it at home did I notice it lol. And Deadpool even makes a joke about it in the film.
She must be Swedish. (I didn't notice. My eyes were drawn to several elsewheres.)
post #39 of 68 Old 08-25-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 283
“What is your superpower?”

“I have type I AND type II diabetes”

made me laugh out loud!
Jive Turkey and SteveC356 like this.

Last edited by stef2; 08-25-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: damn iPad keynoard
post #40 of 68 Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I watched this today on 4K disc. I enjoyed it largely because it's constantly making fun of itself.

The picture was stunning on my RS400. Thanks to Chadb. for making this thing shine on good content.
Ralph Potts likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #41 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Nice review Ralph. That initial 25 minutes with little use of overhead audio is very curious but it sounds like from that point on Deadpool 2 doesn't suffer from what Disney's recent Marvel releases have in terms of low volume and some deficits in overall dynamics. Is that a reasonable assessment? I picked up the 4K today and I'm actually going to listen to the commentary track for a change since Ryan Reynolds promises to be hilariously snarky. It's impressive that the package contains the theatrical and Super-Dooper versions on separate 4K and Blu-ray discs respectively.
How about the ATMOS? Available on the blu-ray as well?
post #42 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
The Blu-ray has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio.
post #43 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for that. Guess you have to ask -- I find Ralph's wording confusing -- appearing in the blu-ray numerical scoring (plus independent review) section:

"The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (core accompanying the Atmos track) and DTS 7.1 Master Audio soundtracks contained in the Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs are demonstration quality and sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference."

If Ralph had included the qualifier "respectively" after "Blu-ray discs" in the sentence above, I think it becomes more clear. But it could be that both formats are contained on both discs, so had to ask. Thanks Cal1981 for the clarification....
post #44 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for that. Guess you have to ask -- I find Ralph's wording confusing -- appearing in the blu-ray numerical scoring (plus independent review) section:

"The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (core accompanying the Atmos track) and DTS 7.1 Master Audio soundtracks contained in the Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs are demonstration quality and sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference."

If Ralph had included the qualifier "respectively" after "Blu-ray discs" in the sentence above, I think it becomes more clear. But it could be that both formats are contained on both discs, so had to ask. Thanks Cal1981 for the clarification....
You're very welcome. Depending on your speaker setup, most DTS audio tracks sound great when Neural:X expands them beyond their baselines. The same goes for Dolby Surround expanding non-Atmos Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 tracks. I have a 5.1.2 setup (using Front Height speakers configured as Top Fronts by my Denon AVR) and the DP2 Blu-ray sounds great with Neural:X. It may not be quite as immersive as a native Atmos or DTS:X track but it's plenty good enough.
hdtv316 likes this.
post #45 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Greetings,

Sorry about that @Emaych , I typically word it that way, but can see where it might be ambiguous. Thanks @Cal1981 for chiming in.

Regards,
SteveC356 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #46 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Great review Ralph. I concur, the disk looked and sounded great, so glad it's not a Disney film with neutered audio.

TBH the actual movie wasn't as good as the first. Remind me who the bad guy was again? Cable? Firefist? Juggernaut? All of them felt a bit underused. At least Domino was good and even Dopinder got a few good lines in.

The glaring issue is the kid who played Russel/Firefist. He's not a strong actor. I found him annoying and his weakness dragged down the whole film for me. I don't go to an R rated superhero film to see child actors, let alone ones who can barely act at that! He makes Ajax look like Thanos.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #47 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sorry about that @Emaych , I typically word it that way, but can see where it might be ambiguous. Thanks @Cal1981 for chiming in.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph,
I have not converted over to 4K just yet (may never), but often enough get the 4K versions. It is nice when they put the ATMOS on the blu-ray. I do find it just slightly more immersive, I suppose -- mainly psychological perhaps, as I have over fifty driver elements operational anyway, not counting the two added in for ATMOS. And I do use the NEURAL X (or whatever that is) on my Marantz -- that adds in the sides. So I'm good.

I do try and look up what it is I'm getting -- just found some ambiguity of language that was not giving me complete assurance of what that was. Hate that the studios seem to be trying to compel sales of the 4K for the higher form sound format, but if you are going to buy the combo pack anyway...come on, put the ATMOS on the blu-ray!
post #48 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're very welcome. Depending on your speaker setup, most DTS audio tracks sound great when Neural:X expands them beyond their baselines. The same goes for Dolby Surround expanding non-Atmos Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 tracks. I have a 5.1.2 setup (using Front Height speakers configured as Top Fronts by my Denon AVR) and the DP2 Blu-ray sounds great with Neural:X. It may not be quite as immersive as a native Atmos or DTS:X track but it's plenty good enough.
Oh, I would agree, if my experience with other great reference tracks is any guide. Not even sure I could easily detect the difference -- my system is pretty immersive with the Neural: X factor especially. That's what four pairs (plus) of speakers weighing between 400-700 lbs. gets you, not to discount my pair of dual eighteens, each powered by 4K watts...Thanks for your help -- appreciated!
post #49 of 68 Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Great review Ralph. I concur, the disk looked and sounded great, so glad it's not a Disney film with neutered audio.

TBH the actual movie wasn't as good as the first. Remind me who the bad guy was again? Cable? Firefist? Juggernaut? All of them felt a bit underused. At least Domino was good and even Dopinder got a few good lines in.

The glaring issue is the kid who played Russel/Firefist. He's not a strong actor. I found him annoying and his weakness dragged down the whole film for me. I don't go to an R rated superhero film to see child actors, let alone ones who can barely act at that! He makes Ajax look like Thanos.
I echo your sentiments. I'll add that it seemed like almost every joke was the same as in the first movie, just executed in a slightly different way. It felt used and I remember laughing way harder watching the first Deadpool. Maybe it's because it was so different at the time, but I lmfao for the first three times I watched Deadpool. I still laughed at times, but it definitely wasn't as good as the first.

What saved it for me was Domino. She did a great job of being [email protected]$$ and looked great at the same time. Wow.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #50 of 68 Old 08-28-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
i thought the first 1/2 of the movie was a little too serious, but really picked up in the second half around the time the X-Force was put together. I love the Domino character, and Cable had a good balance vs DP.
Juggernaught was OK and the kid wasn't too bad. Maybe his New Zealand accent threw everyone off who didn't like him

but overall the movie was just a little different from the first. Also, I liked the super duper cut a little more, after watching it the day after watching the theatrical version. I wasn't bothered by the change in song for the action sequence at the end, actually thought the movie was improved with the minor changes

I think I still like the first one a little more, but still like DP2

like the first one, I thought the PQ wasn't as good as could be for movies coming out these days, especially with the bigger budget
Salty01 likes this.
post #51 of 68 Old 08-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Remind me who the bad guy was again?
The bad guy was
Spoiler!
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #52 of 68 Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
i thought the first 1/2 of the movie was a little too serious, but really picked up in the second half around the time the X-Force was put together. I love the Domino character, and Cable had a good balance vs DP.
Juggernaught was OK and the kid wasn't too bad. Maybe his New Zealand accent threw everyone off who didn't like him

but overall the movie was just a little different from the first. Also, I liked the super duper cut a little more, after watching it the day after watching the theatrical version. I wasn't bothered by the change in song for the action sequence at the end, actually thought the movie was improved with the minor changes

I think I still like the first one a little more, but still like DP2

like the first one, I thought the PQ wasn't as good as could be for movies coming out these days, especially with the bigger budget

I thought Deadpool 2 looked great in 4k HDR!

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #53 of 68 Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph for great review again.

Are there still many rude dialog/sex scenes with many F words as seen in EP1? I actually really don't like EP1 because of that. My son heard of this movie from his friends at school and asked for watching for few times. I said NO. It was disgusting. It is a public movie with so many young audiences. I think both actors and director should be careful on what they put on screen. Think about the influence on next generation instead of just making profit.
I have 3 kids ages 12, 14, and 16, I have sorta de-sensatized them over the years such that I do let them view certain PG-13 (when really young, like 8-9) and now R rated movies.

That said, while no overt sex scenes I still won't let my 12 year old watch this. My 14 and 16 year old watched it this weekend.

How old is your son? What's his maturity level? Can and do you have frank talks with him about sexuality, morals, ethics, reality vs comic book staged dramatics, etc?
>>Have you seen Lucy, it's also R rated, do you know why? Would you let your boy watch it? Do you engage and talk with your son after watching movies about certain scenes as a parent?

I can swear and cus with the best of them - at times - even then the usage of the F bomb seemed over the top, but hey it's deadpool and that's the genere here, I get it.
Roudan likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 08-29-2018 at 01:15 AM.
post #54 of 68 Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Yes thank you. I rented the BluRay from RedBox tonight and was surprised to find it didn't have a Atoms soundtrack, only DTS Master. I haven't run into this before though I don't rent a lot of movies and thought it might be because it was a Redbox disc so I checked here?

That said I did find the DTS Master using Neural X upmixing a tremendous sounding track. Running at reference 0 had me jumping in my seat at shots, etc; or spinning my head to hear a very real sounding bit of dialog off to the side or back like someone was in the room. Very dynamic mix with a very clear dialog mix, I didn't miss a word of the talking. I first saw the movie at a local IMAX screen and thought my system provided as good as I heard that the theater, maybe better. A demo quality movie when played on my rig. May end up having to purchase a 4k disc for the Atmos mix when I can grab it cheap second hand off ebay. LOL

As to the movie itself, I actually enjoyed it more the second time around for some reason. I did like it at the theater but tonight here at home I found the movie so much fun that I think I enjoyed it a bit more.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #55 of 68 Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I have 3 kids ages 12, 14, and 16, I have sorta de-sensatized them over the years such that I do let them view certain PG-13 (when really young, like 8-9) and now R rated movies.

That said, while no overt sex scenes I still won't let my 12 year old watch this. My 14 and 16 year old watched it this weekend.

How old is your son? What's his maturity level? Can and do you have frank talks with him about sexuality, morals, ethics, reality vs comic book staged dramatics, etc?
>>Have you seen Lucy, it's also R rated, do you know why? Would you let your boy watch it? Do you engage and talk with your son after watching movies about certain scenes as a parent?

I can swear and cus with the best of them - at times - even then the usage of the F bomb seemed over the top, but hey it's deadpool and that's the genere here, I get it.
My 9 year old watched this with me , I’m not worried about it
He’s a great kid and understands it’s just a movie
My son if fairly mature but still didn’t understand some of the times I was laughing

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #56 of 68 Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Yes thank you. I rented the BluRay from RedBox tonight and was surprised to find it didn't have a Atoms soundtrack, only DTS Master. I haven't run into this before though I don't rent a lot of movies and thought it might be because it was a Redbox disc so I checked here?

That said I did find the DTS Master using Neural X upmixing a tremendous sounding track. Running at reference 0 had me jumping in my seat at shots, etc; or spinning my head to hear a very real sounding bit of dialog off to the side or back like someone was in the room. Very dynamic mix with a very clear dialog mix, I didn't miss a word of the talking. I first saw the movie at a local IMAX screen and thought my system provided as good as I heard that the theater, maybe better. A demo quality movie when played on my rig. May end up having to purchase a 4k disc for the Atmos mix when I can grab it cheap second hand off ebay. LOL
Check Amazon also for used discs. With the hardware listed in your signature, you should always get 4K versions of movies if they have Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks. With that rig of yours you could probably blow the roof off your house
post #57 of 68 Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
Just watch this one, on 4K/UHD.

While, I did enjoy-it, it was not at the same level, as the first one.

Sound was, the sound was amazing, so was the picture.

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #58 of 68 Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 64
This is my favorite form 2018. Domino must have the most creative superpower in recent memory and I'm touched by the ending which very few films, let alone super hero films, can do.
post #59 of 68 Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
My 9 year old watched this with me , I’m not worried about it
He’s a great kid and understands it’s just a movie
My son if fairly mature but still didn’t understand some of the times I was laughing
I am sorry but this is really bad parenting.

15+ would be slightly acceptable but under that would be a strict no-go in my books, no matter how mature or understanding the children are.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #60 of 68 Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
I really liked this movie. A lot. I didn’t laugh a lot with the original Deadpool, but this sequel had me laughing out loud MULTIPLE times during the movie. Gosh it’s a well crafted movie. The A/V is awesome—just awesome! The crisp picture and high-quality audio mix really drew me into the action. Also, the characters are just great. Cable was really well cast—I never looked at Josh Brolin as even remotely capable of action sequences until I saw Sicario, but he blew my expectations to smithereens in Deadpool 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
SteveC356 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page