• 1 Post By boguspomp2

post #1 of 16 Old 08-28-2018, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5850
Adrift Blu-ray Review

A true story of survival, as a young couple's chance encounter leads them first to love, and then on the adventure of a lifetime as they face one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Shailene Woodley, Sam Claflin
Directed by: Baltasar Kormakur
Music by: Volker Bertelmann
Written by: Aaron Kandell, Jordan Kandell, David Branson Smith
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: September 4, 2018

"Based on the Incredible True Story"

My Take:

Adrift is based on the inspiring true story of two free spirits whose chance encounter leads them first to love, and then to the adventure of a lifetime. As the two sailors set out on a journey across the ocean, Tami Oldham (Woodley) and Richard Sharp (Claflin) couldn’t anticipate they would be sailing directly into one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history. In the aftermath of the storm, Tami awakens to find Richard badly injured and their boat in ruins. With no hope for rescue, Tami must find the strength and determination to save herself and the only man she has ever loved.

As a fan of films that depict true stories of human resilience in the face of insurmountable odd, I was interested in seeing Adrift. I wasn’t familiar with the story which made watching the unfolding elements in the narrative all the better. The script begins with the aftermath of the storm which left Tami and Richard’s sailboat in ruins. From there it switches back and forth revealing the couple’s initial meeting, their romantic connection and how they came to be aboard the yacht. Interspersed are a series of moments that detail Tami’s current struggle to locate Richard and their day to day trial of survival.

I liked how the story was told and found that it provided a necessary perspective on who this couple was and what they meant to one another. Despite knowing what was eventually coming never detracted from the engagingly emotional nature of the storyline or later, the suspense as the couple cling to life and one another. Some may have an issue with the past/present aspect but, I found that worked here, as opposed to a prolonged, one note depiction of the post-storm fight to make it before time runs out. Shailene Woodley’s gritty performance carries the film and is among the primary reasons I liked this film.

Adrift isn’t perfect but, it’s a solid survival drama that both my wife and I found compelling and enjoyable.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for injury images, peril, language, brief drug use, partial nudity and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Adrift comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This 2.39:1 framed video presentation offers appreciable high definition resolution that has a satisfying glossy aesthetic. Images are stable and sharp with plenty of discernible texture and revealing fine detail during close-ups. Blacks are deep while exhibiting appreciable dynamic range with stable yet slightly elevated contrast that never infringes upon fidelity. Colors are snappy and bright and sullen and muted where appropriate. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional designs required by the storyline.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is noteworthy. Discrete rear channel activity isn’t extensive however when applied provides an enriching level of immersion which is punctuated by palpably rich bass (the storm sequence sounded fantastic). Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel, and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this excellent soundtrack as it augments the enjoyment of this film.

Bonus Features:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Survival at Sea - Featurette
  • Braving the Elements - Featurette
  • Journey - Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the incredible true story Adrift is a spirited and compelling survival drama that is made all the better by a terrific performance by Shailene Woodley. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video and a fair supplemental package. Adrift is easily worth the cost of a rental and should be placed somewhere near the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-28-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 484
This whole movie would have been over fast with a Sat Phone or GPS Emergency Beacon (which cost $100.00) lol so yeah... ^^;;
JeffR1 likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #3 of 16 Old 08-28-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Thanks for the review Ralph, sounds promising.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Thanks Ralph for the review.

Just wanted to say this is the most boring movie i have ever watched in my life.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson 5050 Media Steiger Dynamics
post #5 of 16 Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Thanks Ralph for the review.

Just wanted to say this is the most boring movie i have ever watched in my life.

Greetings,

Now THAT's saying something..

Regards,
Balbolito and Dave Vaughn like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 16 Old 08-29-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 515
This would seem a lot like "All Is Lost" with Robert Redford, he commented that, "that would never happen"...

Why would two people jump in a smallish sail boat to sail 4000 miles with out the proper equipment, the proper equipment being some satellite gear Daniel mentioned ???
I'm assuming this since the movie was made and the title of the movie would certainly suggest that they're in trouble.

Who goes out with all those lose things in the main gallery just sitting on a shelf, like books for example ?

I'll give it a go, perhaps I may find it conceivable in this day and age that someone could actually get stranded at sea.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
This would seem a lot like "All Is Lost" with Robert Redford, he commented that, "that would never happen"...

Why would two people jump in a smallish sail boat to sail 4000 miles with out the proper equipment, the proper equipment being some satellite gear Daniel mentioned ???
I'm assuming this since the movie was made and the title of the movie would certainly suggest that they're in trouble.

Who goes out with all those lose things in the main gallery just sitting on a shelf, like books for example ?

I'll give it a go, perhaps I may find it conceivable in this day and age that someone could actually get stranded at sea.

Greetings,

Well, the fact remains that this is what this couple did. Whether or not its conceivable really isn't the question. The question is how did they manage to make it through? Not that I am disagreeing with the fact that they may have been ill prepared or even reckless. The ship was a rather good sized yacht, not a smallish sailboat. FYI.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 16 Old 08-29-2018, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 532
The events of this movie take place in 1983. From there, satellite phones were huge bulky things (Iridium and GlobalStar with their brick sized phones only came about in the late 80s and 90s). So only the larger ships would have the space for a satellite terminal.

And GPS? nonexistent to the general public - at best you have LORAN but that only works close to the coast. Your position was tracked by the stars and clock.

This includes all modern stuff like EPIRBs and PLBs which really only became a thing in the past 10 years when the satellites started listening on 406Mhz.

At best, your boat would have a VHF transceiver, which the storm promptly killed by taking out the antenna and flooding out the boat electrics.

These days it's much harder to disappear - most boats have EPIRBs, and general satellite surveillance makes it difficult to disappear without a trace. Even satellite phones are reasonably affordable these days (few hundred bucks) and satellite messengers and trackers can be had cheaply and service costs less than the average cellphone bill.

And yes, it's highly unusual to disappear these days - that's why Malaysian Airline MH405 was strange. Even Air France a few years earlier we actually had a reasonable starting location.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Thanks for the spot-on review Ralph. I watched this last night and thought it to be a thoroughly enjoyable movie.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-02-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Watched the edited version on a plane yesterday....we are boaters and out on the ocean quite a bit so I totally got into this one although the romance angle was a little off in my opinion. Still enjoyable to watch and learn a few things. There is a definite twist in the story which is a huge spoiler so don't want to mention it but it kinda blew me away.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
I liked this movie quiet a bit mostly because of Woodley's performance, who came a long way here from her Divergent series's wooden performances. She singlehandedly carried this film and made it a memorable experience.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #12 of 16 Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I liked this movie quiet a bit mostly because of Woodley's performance, who came a long way here from her Divergent series's wooden performances. She singlehandedly carried this film and made it a memorable experience.
Admit it, you just liked her in her bathing suit (and once out of it!).

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #13 of 16 Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wife and I watched this last night on our first projector setup (120" screen... Wow). I have to say, even though neither of us is a huge Woodley fan, but we really enjoyed the movie.

That being said, I felt that back and forth timeline jumps were a pretty big detriment to the tension building of the movie; but it wasn't a show-stopper. In the end we still enjoyed it and reading about the real story made the twist interesting.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hello Ralph,
Thank you for the spot on review. We watched it yesterday in 4K and the picture quality was great. Added to that the always wonderful Shailene and you have a nice movie, even with a little twist just before the last chapter.

Besides the fact that the movie takes place in 1983, as some critics might have forgotten, a storm like that leaves - even today - most smaller boats completely destructed. Anybody read about the couple that had spent all their savings on a very well equipped boat not too long ago. They left the coast of Hawaii I believe and the very next day they had to be rescued by another ship, because their boat was a complete wreckage after a very bad storm that was not even as strong as the one depicted in this movie.

Just saying.

And boring? I thought the script was well executed. I give you boring: 40 minutes into Ocean 8 I was hoping the movie were over soon. My wife agreed.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks as always, Ralph.
Question:
I did not get to see this in theaters. If the extras discuss the true events I might buy it. Anything there about the actual event?
D

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #16 of 16 Old 09-13-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Looking at the extras list, I doubt it.

This link seems to have a short summary of what really happened https://allthatsinteresting.com/tami-oldham-ashcraft

She apparently wrote a book that details it all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page