Won't You Be My Neighbor? Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By kevin j
  • 4 Post By Rengozu
  • 2 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By DLDukes
  • 2 Post By DLDukes
  • 3 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By Brian Hampton

post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6126
Won't You Be My Neighbor? Blu-ray Review

For over thirty years, Fred Rogers, an unassuming minister, puppeteer, writer and producer was beamed daily into homes across America in his beloved television program, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Documentary

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Fred Rogers
Directed by: Morgan Neville
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: September 4, 2018

"A Little Kindness Makes a World of Difference"

My Take:

Won't You Be My Neighbor? is an uplifting documentary that celebrates the power of kindness and joy. It's a heartwarming film that reminds viewers of all ages about the universal kindness and empathy that Mister Rogers radiated on American television screens. The documentary paints a portrait of a man whom we think we know, as it takes us beyond the zip-up cardigans and the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, and into the heart of the remarkable man who continues to enrich American homes with lessons about love and humanity.

The name Mister Rogers is synonymous with kindness, love of children, and mutual respect for everyone. His PBS program crosses generational boundaries, being shared by children and their parents alike. Won’t You Be My Neighbor? is an interesting and enlightening documentary film. Over its 90 minutes it delves into the extraordinary impact that Mister Rogers has had on American Television, and is told from a very personal perspective, much of which we hear directly from Fred Rogers himself. There is lots of archival footage and interspersed interviews that detail his life, career and the adoration of those around him.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? is time well spent and presents an enlightening and interesting look at America’s favorite neighbor.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This filmed documentary is a mix of interviews, still photos and vintage footage. The new interviews/footage appears lucid, with crisp definition, natural color, stable contrast and punchy blacks. The lower resolution elements are softer while occasionally exhibiting minor artifacts that don’t rise to problematic levels. I had no real complaints with the video quality and on a whole thought that this presentation looked quite good.

The soundtrack won’t test the limits of your surround sound system but sounds fine. The narrated segments and recorded dialogue during the various interviews is crystal clear and definitively rendered. Other than the music score’s light ambient bleed to the rear channels the mix remains front oriented. Being a documentary style film there is little call for an active surround mix and to that end I didn’t find the presentation lacking in any way.

Bonus Features:
  • No Bonus Features

Final Thoughts:

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? is time well spent and presents an enlightening and interesting look at America’s favorite neighbor. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video. It’s easily worth your time and comes recommended for fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I saw this movie on Saturday at my local public library in 4k dcp.......the older footage didn't benefit much from the 4k but the newer footage most certainly did.[it was free btw]
Ralph Potts and Brian Hampton like this.

The best way to listen to music is in 5.1 imho.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Little sad to see that his little trolly doesn't whizz around my head with an immersive Atmos soundtrack, but I guess I do want to see this anyways.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Little sad to see that his little trolly doesn't whizz around my head with an immersive Atmos soundtrack, but I guess I do want to see this anyways.
Weren't you paying attention? You're supposed to make believe that it's Atmos.
Rengozu and adpayne like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had watched Fred through the passage of my lifetime from interested child to derisional teen. As a 57 year old, I was very moved by this look at a special individual. Not without his own faults, Fred taught and continues to teach us that we are capable of loving and being loved. We need more Fred's
Thanks
D
Ralph Potts likes this.

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #6 of 11 Old 09-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I watched this in theaters and I loved it. Mr. Rogers meant a lot to me as a kid and it was great to see this documentary pay tribute to a very fine man.

But I didn’t cry during the movie. Because my dad taught me that real men don’t cry. Also, I wanted to see more footage of Mr. Rogers shirtless in swim trunks.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDukes View Post
I had watched Fred through the passage of my lifetime from interested child to derisional teen. As a 57 year old, I was very moved by this look at a special individual. Not without his own faults, Fred taught and continues to teach us that we are capable of loving and being loved. We need more Fred's
Thanks
D
I concur as well...we saw this in the theater this summer. My son (whose a film student) both got a little teary eyed. What a very inspirational film.

Speaking of which....love your avatar (from Backstreets set list images?) !!! Huge Springsteen fan. Saw my first show in Feb of 1981 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa (River Tour)...that started the multiple shows for each tour...at 73 and counting. This Broadway residency will be the first "tour" I will miss. But, rumor is Bruce is considering taking the show on the road...fingers crossed.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I concur as well...we saw this in the theater this summer. My son (whose a film student) both got a little teary eyed. What a very inspirational film.

Speaking of which....love your avatar (from Backstreets set list images?) !!! Huge Springsteen fan. Saw my first show in Feb of 1981 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa (River Tour)...that started the multiple shows for each tour...at 73 and counting. This Broadway residency will be the first "tour" I will miss. But, rumor is Bruce is considering taking the show on the road...fingers crossed.
Holy Christ! My first show was February 7th, 1981, University of Illinois, Assembly Hall Champaign, IL
We had horrible seats. But the man ROCKED. There was a couple who had been married that day. they showed up in tux and dress, Bruce stopped the show, went backstage forever, and came back with a piece of paper, and sang I wanna Marry You.
Magic.

Only 3 dozen shows since then, but My God, the memories...

Fingers Crossed...

D
Ralph Potts and rboster like this.

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I saw this in Theaters, such an amazing documentary with of love... I was surprised to learn that Mr. Rogers was an evangelist republican, I mean that blew my mind. I mean todays evangelist republican sure could learn a lesson from Mr. Rogers on how to be loving, compassionate, and understanding verses what they are now... but I dont want to steer this into a political/religious debate... just was surprising, one of the most surprising part of the movie... What wasnt surprising is the hate that he was fighting back then, we are still fighting now, which is so sad. But that never stopped him, that never stopped the love, the hope... he was an amazing human. I had several moments where I found myself tearing up... ^^;;

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
My church put this movie in the bulletin for last night and called me Wednesday to ask to borrow my popcorn machine.

I was busy during the week but showed up yesterday with the popcorn machine and an extra stereo I use sometimes. They were in no way prepared to show this movie. In the past they would only get a few people and would show the movie on a 32 inch LCD. I setup up the projector and screen and stereo and then purchased and DL-ed the movie on iTunes. (They had thought it was free on Amazon.) 30 people showed up which was most likely too much for the room we used but it all worked fine.

I found the trailer moving when I saw it earlier in the day but I don't think I really got the chance to get "into" the movie as I was sort of managing the room all night. It was a thrill for me to kind of run a full scale theater.

-Brian
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
This movie reminded me a bit of the excellent documentary The Times of Harvey Milk.

Why did Hollywood get Sean Penn to make a mediocre movie about that story I don't know.

Why is Hollywood getting Tom Hanks to make a mediocre movie about this story I'll never know. I guess I'm glad it will get a bigger audience (most likely).

The truth can be more interesting than fiction.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-29-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page