The X-Files: The Complete 11th Season Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 6104
The X-Files: The Complete 11th Season Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews season 11 of this sci-fi television series that details the exploits of two F.B.I. Agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, who investigate the strange and unexplained, while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: TV-14
Feature running time: 437 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Mitch Pileggi, Barbara Hershey, William B. Davis, Annabeth Gish
Directed by: Various
Music by: Mark Snow
Written by: Chris Carter, Brad Follmer, Benjamin Van Allen
Region Code: A

Release Date: September 18, 2018

"Trust No One"

My Take:

The next chapter of The –X-Files is a thrilling 10-episode installment of the classic, mind-bending series. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson return as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, investigating unsolved cases rife with government conspiracies, unexplainable mysteries, and alien cover-ups. Mulder and Scully’s pursuit of the truth continues with a search for their long-lost son, William. But they aren’t the only ones looking for him; dark forces gather, and the very fate of the world could be at stake. One thing is certain: secrets will be revealed… and the truth may finally be within reach.

The X-Files is one of the longest-running science fiction series in network TV history, as it details the exploits of two FBI special agents that investigate unexplained, mind-bending cases known as "X-Files." Though the government is convinced that the outlandish reports are false, conspiracy theorist Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and realist Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), for most of the series, stop at nothing to prove that "the truth is out there."

I was a fan of the series, although I can’t say that I was a dedicated follower from beginning to end. I like the characters, the elements of sci-fi, mystery and intrigue and the personal relationship/devotion between Mulder and Scully. This 10-episode season picks up where the event series left off. Over the course of the season there are catalysts that provide the spark for the show’s elements of mystery/intrigue as the events play out in typical, layer peeling fashion. Beginning with the first episode it starts off fairly strong with good foundational blocks that setup the continuing story. From there we follow Mulder and Scully as they investigate a series of X-File like cases with interjected elements that point toward the narrative threads started during the event series which are now being revealed.

I rather enjoyed season 11. Having not visited these characters or the show in some time I liked the evolution of the storyline as well as Mulder and Scully’s partnership and the fruit it has borne. It looks as though Season 12 is planned so we’ll have to see where things go but, for now, The X-Files still has a little fuel left in its tank.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The show contains mature themes, mild action and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The X-Files The Complete 11th Season comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This a solid video presentation that offers excellent refinement during close ups and discernibly crisp definition within objects during midlevel camera pans. The color range perfectly sets the series tone and has a reserved aesthetic that rarely offers bright, eye catching hues. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the show and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yields crisp, bright whites and blacks are stable and relatively deep. I didn’t see this as a problem based upon the visual style of the film. This is a pristine encoding that showed no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices are rendered with excellent clarity and depth. There is little call for active surround activity and extended dynamics however there is frequent use of atmospheric sounds that stabilize the soundstage in support of the venues and brief action depicted onscreen. That coupled along with the eclectic music score gives the soundtrack an open sounding and balanced presence that helps drive the films thematic elements.

Bonus Features:
  • Conversation on the Fox Lot
  • The Scully Effect
  • Gag Reel
  • Green Production
  • Audio Commentary on Select Episodes
  • Solve for X: Constructing Season 11
  • Implanted Memories: 25 Years of The X-Files

Final Thoughts:

Since its inception in 1993, The X-Files has remained a worldwide phenomenon, garnering a loyal cult following, 16 Emmys® and five Golden Globes® Awards, including “Best Dramatic TV Series”. Season 11 continues to explore the show’s dark themes and topical sci-fi subject matter as it moves toward its inevitable conclusion. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video mated with a fair supplemental package that is worth checking out. I am not certain what lies in store but, if the opportunity presents itself, I may very well find myself tuning in next season.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
Toe and tenthplanet like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
I doubt there will be a season 12 anytime in the near future. With Gillian Andersen publicly discussing her retirement of Agent Dana Scully back in January and Fox saying they have nothing planned it doesn't look real positive. Chris Carter wants more and has also stated he could see something happening, but probably in a different form than what it has been.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV / 130TB Plex Server
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Spoiler!

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page