Superman: The Movie is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By JohnAV
  • 2 Post By 5x10
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By TimOlo
  • 1 Post By Dan Hitchman
  • 2 Post By Blacklightning
  • 1 Post By jocedeg
  • 1 Post By ahmedreda
  • 1 Post By Hank_P
  • 1 Post By Jacob305

post #1 of 20 Old 09-27-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 5988
Superman: The Movie is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray

Warner Bros. Announces the Classic DC Super Hero Film

Superman

To be Released on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital on November 6, 2018

Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the landmark film and the 80th Anniversary of the beloved DC Super Hero, Superman will be available for the first time in 4K resolution with high dynamic range (HDR)

BURBANK, CA, September 25, 2018 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC Entertainment announced today that 1978’s Superman, featuring the beloved DC Super Hero, will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital on November 6th. An Alexander Salkind presentation and directed by Richard Donner (The Goonies, Lethal Weapon, The Lost Boys), the film stars Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (On the Waterfront, The Godfather) as Jor-El, Academy Award winner Gene Hackman (The French Connection, Unforgiven) as Lex Luthor, Margot Kidder as Lois Lane, and Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman.

Based on the DC character created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman was produced by Pierre Spengler from a story by Mario Puzo and a screenplay by Puzo, David Newman, Leslie Newman, and Robert Benton. Ilya Salkind served as executive producer. The film also features Ned Beatty as Otis, Jackie Cooper as Perry White, Glen Ford as Jonathan Kent, Valerie Perrine as Eva Teschmacher, and Terrance Stamp as General Zod.

Superman was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Film Editing, Best Music (Original Score) and Best Sound. The film also received a Special Achievement Academy Award for Visual Effects. In 2017, Superman was inducted in to the Library of Congress National Film Registry.

Ultra HD* showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc of Superman will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc of Superman will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Superman will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $41.99 SRP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Blu-ray disc with the feature film and special features. Fans can also own Superman in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on November 6th.

SYNOPSIS
Academy Award winners Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman head an all-star cast in the fantastic, action-packed film that made Christopher Reeve an international star playing the greatest superhero of all time. From the doomed planet of Krypton, two parents launch a spaceship carrying their infant son to earth. Here he grows up to become Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Metropolis Daily Planet. But with powers and abilities far beyond those of ordinary men, he battles for truth and justice as Superman.

Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Elements
Superman Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special feature:
• Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind

Superman Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:
• Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
• The Making of Superman: The Movie 1978 TV Special
• Superman and the Mole-Men
• Cartoons
• TV Spots and Trailers

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On November 6th, Superman 4K UHD will be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers including GooglePlay, Vudu, Xbox and others, and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
Daniel Chaves likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-27-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I cant wait! I hope that means that the second movie is in the pipeline to be done next and hopefully they are not waiting to see how this does in sales... ^^;;

The ATMOS track is what I am really looking forward to hearing and seeing how they mixed the sound. ^_^

I do wish it was the TV release instead of the Theatrical but I understand why they did it.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #3 of 20 Old 09-27-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 7171 Post(s)
Liked: 6181
Can't wait to hear it. The opening titles were one of the best combinations of music and sound effects I've ever heard.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Interesting to see this released as an UHD HDR10 BD! I’m not sure it’s that appealing even offered in 4k unless the special effects aren’t so dated/noticeable.
This film and the second are the best of the series of 4 films. Those I would recommend to any Christopher Reeve fan.

But the third one with Richard Prior was a real let down, and the fourth one was one of the worst films ever.
Madmax67 and Ralph Potts like this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 20 Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Instabuy
Madmax67 and Ralph Potts like this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #6 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Are they rescanning the negative in 4K?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #7 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Will be interesting to see how the picture and sound translate into today's standards. Chris Reeve and Henry Cavill have been the only two actors that have been able to pull off this character to date. Chris is no longer with us, and Henry Cavill left WB over his contract and how they were treating his character. The audio should be quite good but don't expect miracles from the video as it was shot on 35mm film in 1978.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Of all the Supermans/Supermen, Reeve's was the best because it's the iconic Superman that knows he has a higher purpose, seeks truth, justice, and - yes - the American way. Corny by today's standards, sure, be he's supposed to be an IDEAL man. Doing what's good by instinct, protecting the innocent, standing up for liberty and against oppression. "Boy scout" Superman will always be the best iteration of Superman. This is also why the animated series of the 90s and the Justice League cartoons were amazing.

The closest modern interpretation was Tom Welling of Smallville. Having both Martha and Jonathan as morally upstanding and proactive parents is also in keeping with the character's roots. It's only too bad that they kept him locked down to the "teen angst WB drama-lite" for a full decade. I mean, it starts in his freshman year (age 15?) and he's supposedly 25 by the series end... like dude, you should be full-on Superman confidence at this point. I'm pretty sure that the ENTIRE 10 seasons of Smallville is based upon the one scene of Clark being angry about not playing football in the Superman movie. LOL Aside from this annoyance, he ultimately portrayed the character well with a nice send off from Reeve himself (as Dr. Swann).

Too bad about Cavill, I didn't know he left. That really sucks JUST AS his Superman finally transformed into something less miserable at the end of Justice League. I was actually hopeful for his appearance in followup movies. Oh well.
Joanvan1 likes this.

Last edited by nathanddrews; 09-28-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Awesome... this will be a buy!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-30-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Are they rescanning the negative in 4K?

Yes. This is a full restoration from the OCN's.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #11 of 20 Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I cant wait! I hope that means that the second movie is in the pipeline to be done next and hopefully they are not waiting to see how this does in sales... ^^;;

The ATMOS track is what I am really looking forward to hearing and seeing how they mixed the sound. ^_^

I do wish it was the TV release instead of the Theatrical but I understand why they did it.

I wish they were releasing the theatrical and Donner Extended Cut versions.

A few things I hope they do to this restoration are: bring the amazing John Williams score forward and back off on the sound effects during the opening title sequence (the score was meant to take center stage), color correct the suit to blue for the rear projection and optical shots, and digitally erase the wires as they did on the Extended Cut (done with Donner's blessing).
connoralpha likes this.

post #12 of 20 Old 10-01-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
The audio should be quite good but don't expect miracles from the video as it was shot on 35mm film in 1978.
What are you talking about, Film even 35mm should be no problem. The biggest problems will be late 90's and 2000 films as that were the early years of digital.
sdurani and Madmax67 like this.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Interesting to see this released as an UHD HDR10 BD! I’m not sure it’s that appealing even offered in 4k unless the special effects aren’t so dated/noticeable.
This film and the second are the best of the series of 4 films. Those I would recommend to any Christopher Reeve fan.

But the third one with Richard Prior was a real let down, and the fourth one was one of the worst films ever.
Of course the special effects will be "dated/noticeable". When I saw it back in '78, they weren't exactly state of the art: the miniatures look like... miniatures, matte lines are VERY visible, but, hey: suspension of disbelief is easy when a movie is so enjoyable.
connoralpha likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
What are you talking about, Film even 35mm should be no problem. The biggest problems will be late 90's and 2000 films as that were the early years of digital.

We all know 35mm is very high def, but there are no guarantees the negative is still in prestine shape. I'm hopeful ! This, after all, is one of my favourite films, warts and all.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Great news! That was my first superhero movie to watch. I wish they would do the same to the 1989 Batman which had a very bad bluray release.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #16 of 20 Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm really stoked about this release. Even the wife, was "oh, we have to get this one" when I mentioned it's release.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post
We all know 35mm is very high def, but there are no guarantees the negative is still in pristine shape. I'm hopeful ! This, after all, is one of my favourite films, warts and all.

They can work wonders with today's digital restoration tools when handled with care and respect, irrespective of what Chris Nolan thinks. Yes, Geoffrey Unsworth did shoot with a gauze filter to give the film a dreamlike quality, but 4k isn't just about detail, it's supposed to be a way of getting closer than ever before to the original source material.

post #18 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i'' wait for the reviews to see if they crazy with the DNR to smooth out the film's massive grain
post #19 of 20 Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I can't wait to purchase this on 4K UHD. I recently purchased this movie on iTunes and for HD I was disappointed in the picture quality and sound.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 50
to help celebrate the 40th anniversary of superman the movie.. its back on the screen thanks to Fantom events November 25, 27, and December 3.
I got my ticket for November 27. can't' wait.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...2000:00:00.000

Jacob
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews