AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/)
-   -   Sicario: Day of the Soldado Ultra HD Blu-ray Review (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/3006460-sicario-day-soldado-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.html)

Ralph Potts 10-03-2018 12:29 PM

Sicario: Day of the Soldado Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...5176aaef9b.jpg

The drug war on the U.S.-Mexico border has escalated as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the US border. To fight the war, federal agent Matt Graver re-teams with the mercurial Alejandro.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...3a5db06197.jpg

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1402576279

Extras:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1402576279

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/Portuguese DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Josh Brolin, Benicio Del Toro, Isabela Moner, Jeffrey Donavan, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Catherine Keener
Directed by: Stefano Sollima
Music by: Hildur Gudnadottir
Written by: Taylor Sheridan
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: October 2, 2018

"No Rules This Time"

My Take:

In Sicario: Day of the Soldado, the series begins a new chapter. In the drug war, there are no rules – and as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the US border, federal agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) calls on the mysterious Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro), whose family was murdered by a cartel kingpin, to escalate the war in nefarious ways. Alejandro kidnaps the kingpin’s daughter to inflame the conflict – but when the girl is seen as collateral damage, her fate will come between the two men as they question everything they are fighting for.

I really like Sicario and hoped that this sequel would live up to it. Sicario: Day of the Soldado like its predecessor was penned by Taylor Sheridan and also asks the question, how far would you go? Meaning to what lengths would you go to find a means to an end? I also found this film to be an intelligently crafted thriller that unfolds its spiraling tale via an engrossing, multi-genre narrative that effectively combines its elements.

I saw Sicario: Day of the Soldado in the theater and walked away from it feeling that, while very good, it didn’t have the strong central protagonist with a moral compass that offset the dark figure/catalyst, which made for some of the best moments in the first film. The character of Matt Graver is sort of set up in that role, as is Alejandro, which leaves them both feeling a bit diluted. The riff raff that work for the Cartel don’t have enough depth to matter and the characters overseeing the operation on the U.S. Government side who are designed to be the Matt’s foils, never get enough screen time to raise the stakes.

I liked Alejandro and Isabel, played by scene stealer Isabela Moner, as well as Matt’s righthand man, Steve played by Jeffrey Donovan and thought that their respective relationships, along with that of Matt and Alejandro solidified the film’s narrative. The action is on point, not overused and, elevates tension and suspense in order to draw you in on the overt and subtle levels.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado doesn’t have the thematic impact, character base and rich context of its predecessor but, it’s a solid follow-up that makes for an entertaining film experience.

Replay Value:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1402576279

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, grisly images, drug content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

Sicario: Day of the Soldado comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Sicario: Day of the Soldado was derived from a 3.4K source and finished on a 2K DI. This is an excellent Ultra HD presentation that looks great on my large screen. What struck me from the onset is the lifelike reproduction of the textures captured by the camera's lens. Whether it be the finest minutia in physical features or rough textures on the surfaces of buildings, streets, interiors, or the vistas of the shooting locations, the imagery is gorgeous. The benefits of high dynamic range and wide color gamut are on display as earth toned colors have an added dimension that enlivens shots where they would normally have blended in, being seen as a less provocative background element that would generally go unnoticed.

Whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, bringing it to a visually rewarding level. Shot digitally, this rendering reproduces its elements with aplomb. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid as well, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the more gratifying viewing experience.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The various exchanges involving the use of helicopters/aircraft features a host of swirling effects that travel around the soundstage moving overheard, passing by and coming directly at the listening position.

The film features a series of set pieces that show off the immersive effect as the blend of music, weapon fire and smaller object sounds rain down from above and, revolve around the soundstage at ear level, placing you in the heart of the action. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. This is an excellent audio presentation that compliments the source material.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

Audio: 94

Sicario: Day of the Soldado comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

Video quality is solid and delivers images that are highly detailed and artifact free. Detail reproduction is excellent as both people and objects are rendered with crystal clear definition that is at times, meticulously resolved. Long distant camera pans are smooth and three dimensional in perspective with well-articulated minutia. Blacks are stable and deep with appreciable dynamic range. Contrast is emboldened and stable so that colors and whites pop while not appearing overdriven. Fleshtones are lifelike and reflective of the varying complexional types among the cast. The video had a sharp, pristine quality that looked great.

The 7.1 channel surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film’s elements. This is a balanced and active soundtrack that features palpable bass that augments the impact associated with the films action-based elements and music score. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that fills the room. Detail reproduction is excellent, which emboldens the detection of subtle vocal inflections and the presence of low-level sounds contained within the recording. The mix facilitates seamless integration of the front and rear channels, creating a stable and proportionate listening environment.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Sicario: Day of the Soldado Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Sicario: Day of the Soldado Blu-ray
     “From Film to Franchise: Continuing the Story”
     “An Act of War: Making Sicario: Day of the Soldado”
     “The Assassin and the Soldier: The Cast & Characters”
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Sicario: Day of the Soldado isn’t as complete a film as its predecessor but, it’s a solid follow-up that ticks enough of the right boxes to makes for an engaging and entertaining genre entry. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, featuring an excellent Ultra HD video rendering, top notch high definition video, room filling lossless surround sound, including a solid Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and a fair supplemental package. If you’re a fan of Sicario, Sicario: Day of the Soldado is well worth considering, especially given its excellent rendering on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

MIkeDuke 10-03-2018 01:51 PM

I liked the first film a lot. I thought Emily Blunt brought a lot to the film. Maybe she did not want to be in this one. But the ending of the first film gave her a way out to make it realistic why she would not be in this one. The second film I also liked very much. The concept of moving terrorist cells I thought was a great use of the plot. I think these films are not meant to have a moral compass. It's like you say Ralph, how far would someone go. This is a must buy for sure.

rdgrimes 10-03-2018 03:13 PM

I agree its not up to snuff compared to the first, mainly due to a lack of character development and story. I expected more in that regard from Taylor Sheridan, but perhaps he didn't get his way with the studio. Maybe what it was missing was a NEW character.

Chiflyfisher 10-04-2018 05:41 AM

Just waiting for the price to drop here... i loved the first one.

tenthplanet 10-04-2018 06:07 AM

Thanks for the review Ralph. :) I remember seeing (and hearing) the trailer for this in the theater. Was a definite butt kicker. :D

BrolicBeast 10-05-2018 04:33 AM

Wow, just watched this last night. I really loved it just as much as the first one. I was engrossed from start to finish, and as Ralph said, the atmos audio mix is used very effectively. I wasn’t ready for how superb the picture quality is. Tons of detail and great cinematography make for a very pleasing visual spectacle. A few scenes were instant demo material for Atmos...a lot of attention was paid to soundstage realism.

I feel like 2018 is the year that 4k really started delivering on its picture quality promises, and this film is the perfect example of that!

Also—the opening scene will test the black level capabilities of your display! Prepare thyselves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ralph Potts 10-05-2018 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrolicBeast (Post 56910240)
Wow, just watched this last night. I really loved it just as much as the first one. I was engrossed from start to finish, and as Ralph said, the atmos audio mix is used very effectively. I wasn’t ready for how superb the picture quality is. Tons of detail and great cinematography make for a very pleasing visual spectacle. A few scenes were instant demo material for Atmos...a lot of attention was paid to soundstage realism.

I feel like 2018 is the year that 4k really started delivering on its picture quality promises, and this film is the perfect example of that!

Also—the opening scene will test the black level capabilities of your display! Prepare thyselves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Greetings,

Well said Matt. So glad you enjoyed this one too. :)

Regards,

Nexgen76 10-05-2018 10:22 PM

I really enjoyed this film even with the added twist & can't wait until part three. I hope the rumors Emily Blunt coming back not true.

Jive Turkey 10-06-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexgen76 (Post 56914424)
I really enjoyed this film even with the added twist & can't wait until part three. I hope the rumors Emily Blunt coming back not true.

Liked it! Thought the grit and intensity of the first movie was close enough here and the story was a bit different. I thought the ending explained why Alejandro was still around after things went to hell for him...a stretch maybe, but a storyline none the less.

4K and Atmos were both very good and made it worth spending the $$ for the UHD.

Part III better be good.

Johnson-from-Arizona 10-06-2018 07:13 PM

"Sicario: Day of the Soldado isn’t as complete a film as its predecessor"

I disagree. Its not the same movie as the first. Comparing to the first to determine if its as complete is like comparing a BBQ'd pork chop to see if it is as complete as a Porter House steak simply because they are both BBQ'd. There's no sense it was even designed to pick up where the first one left off.

They could easily make a third one now too.

lax01 10-06-2018 11:02 PM

The 4K HDR presentation with Atmos audio totally sucks you into this film...loved it

AlexanderDelarg 10-07-2018 08:54 AM

Emily Blunt was not asked to be in the sequel as the writers said they finished her character arch in the first film. I would love to see director Dennis Villenuvue (sp) return to direct the third film of the said trilogy. I enjoyed Day of the Soldado but liked Sicario more. Looking forward to part 3 - without Blunt.

psyberlogy 10-07-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg (Post 56919422)
Emily Blunt was not asked to be in the sequel as the writers said they finished her character arch in the first film. I would love to see director Dennis Villenuvue (sp) return to direct the third film of the said trilogy. I enjoyed Day of the Soldado but liked Sicario more. Looking forward to part 3 - without Blunt.

The extra feature on the disc explains about this movie. It's more about Alejandro's story. It may well be the continuation for the part 3.

Jrek 10-07-2018 01:56 PM

Very entertaining

I love all types of movies,but really enjoy a good gritty ,spit on your hands and rub them together just flat out good story movie like this, love the first,love the second,keep'em coming.Great 4k hdr great atmos great story!:D

tenthplanet 10-08-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexgen76 (Post 56914424)

After Mary Poppins Returns I don't think she'll be coming back to the world of Sicario.

Franin 12-24-2018 10:59 PM

Watched this awhile back really enjoyed it.

TravisPNW 12-26-2018 12:30 PM

I've seen neither and just ordered the 4K original and sequel. Looks like my type of movies... if they are anything like No Country For Old Men / Hell or High Water.

Thanks for the review Ralph!