2001: A Space Odyssey is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6211
2001: A Space Odyssey is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray

Stanley Kubrick’s Acclaimed Sci-Fi Classic

2001: A Space Odyssey

To be Released on 4K Ultra HD

Following the summer’s theatrical run of the unrestored 70mm print of
Kubrick’s landmark 1968 masterpiece, the film will be available for the first time
in 4K Ultra High Definition resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) on November 20
in premium collectible packaging

A remastered Blu-ray™ Disc will also be included in the 4K UHD set and will be available for individual purchase

Please Note: The New Release Date For This Title is November 20, 2018

Burbank, CA,– Continuing the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that the renowned director’s groundbreaking science fiction epic will be released on 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) Blu-ray™ in premium collectible packaging and 4K UHD Digital on November 20. Widely considered among the greatest films of the 20th century, 2001: A Space Odyssey returned to U.S. theatres in May following the debut of an “unrestored” 70mm print at the 71st annual Cannes Film Festival. The film is playing throughout the summer at select theatres.

For the first time since the original release, new 70mm prints were struck from pristine printing elements made from the original camera negative. A longtime admirer of the late American auteur, Christopher Nolan worked closely with the team at Warner Bros. Pictures throughout the mastering process.

Building on the work done for the new 70mm prints, the 4K UHD with HDR presentation was mastered from the 65mm original camera negative. The 4K UHD also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 6-track theatrical
audio mix (formatted for 5.1 DTS-HD master audio).

“2001 to me is the most cinematic film that has ever been made and it has been an honour and a privilege to be able to share the film with a new generation,” said Nolan. “4K UHD allows the closest recreation of viewing the original film print in your own home. Kubrick’s masterpiece was originally presented on large format film and the deeper colour palette and superior resolution comes closest to matching the original analogue presentation.”

With 2001: A Space Odyssey, director Stanley Kubrick redefined the limits of filmmaking and cemented his legacy as one of the most revolutionary and influential film directors of all time. Originally released in 70mm Cinerama roadshow format on April 4, 1968, the film ignited the imaginations of critics and audiences alike and its impact continues to resonate to this day.
The film was directed and produced by Kubrick and written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, inspired by Clarke’s short story “The Sentinel.” The film stars Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood.

An award-winning director, writer and producer, Christopher Nolan most recently earned dual Academy Award nominations, for Best Director and Best Picture, for his experiential tour-de-force Dunkirk, which in July 2017 received the largest 70mm release in the last quarter century. His diverse filmography also includes Interstellar, Inception, the blockbuster The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Prestige, and Memento, for which he received his first Oscar nomination, for Best Original Screenplay.

The 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD premium packaging will be available on November 20 at the suggested retail price (SRP) of $41.99, and includes the feature film in 4K resolution with HDR, a remastered Blu-ray disc with the feature film in hi-definition, a Blu-ray disc with the special features in hi-definition, and a Digital version of the feature film. The premium packaging also includes a collectible booklet and art cards featuring iconic images from the film.

In addition to being included with the 4K UHD, the remastered Blu-ray disc with the feature film in hi-definition will also be available on November 20 as a standalone product for $19.98 SRP.

4K Ultra HD showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K UHD Blu-ray disc of 2001: A Space Odyssey will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame.

Fans can also own 2001: A Space Odyssey in 4K UHD via purchase from select digital retailers including iTunes, Google and Vudu on November 20.

SYNOPSIS

Stanley Kubrick’s dazzling, Academy Award-winning achievement is a compelling drama of man vs. machine, a stunning meld of music and motion. Kubrick (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke) first visits our prehistoric ape-ancestry past, then leaps millennia (via one of the most mind-blowing jump cuts ever) into colonized space, and ultimately whisks astronaut Bowman (Keir Dullea) into uncharted space, perhaps even into immortality. “Open the pod bay doors, HAL.” Let an awesome journey unlike any other begin.

4K UHD AND BLU-RAY ELEMENTS

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD contains the following 4K and Blu-ray elements:
• 4K UHD Blu-ray™ with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
• Remastered Blu-ray™ with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
• The Making of a Myth
• Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
• Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
• 2001: A Space Odyssey – A Look Behind the Future
• What Is Out There?
• 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
• Look: Stanley Kubrick!
• 11/27/66 Interview with Stanley Kubrick [Audio Only]
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Premium Booklet
• Art Cards

2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray disc contains the following elements:
• Remastered Blu-ray™ with the feature film in hi-definition with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On November 20, 2001: A Space Odyssey will be available to own in 4K UHD from select digital retailers, including iTunes, Google, and Vudu.

ABOUT DIGITAL

Digital movies or TV episodes allow fans to watch a digital version of their movie or TV show anywhere, on their favorite devices. Digital movies or TV episodes are included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs. With digital, consumers are able to instantly stream and download movies and TV shows to TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones through retail services. For more information on compatible devices and services go to wb.com/digitalmoviefaq. Consult a digital retailer for details and requirements and for a list of digital-compatible devices.

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP
4K UHD Premium Packaging $41.99
Blu-ray $19.98
4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Street Date: November 20, 2018
4K UHD EST Street Date: November 20, 2018
4K UHD BD and Blu-ray Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese
4K UHD BD and Blu-ray Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French,
Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese
Running Time: 142 minutes
Rating: G
4K UHD and Blu-ray: DTS HD-MA

THE CREDITS

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
DaleNixon and zombie10k like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Ralph,
can you please explain what the differences are here:
"The 4K UHD also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 6-track theatrical
audio mix (formatted for 5.1 DTS-HD master audio)
."
Thanks
And what would be your preference. It's a shame they couldn't do a DTS:X version. Maybe they thought it wasn't needed. Anyway, this will be a buy for me.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5493 Post(s)
Liked: 3896
What's odd is that it says release day is November 20th yet Amazon is shipping them out already. Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, while others are expecting them as soon as tomorrow from Amazon. Glad I preordered in July for a price of $22.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 10-25-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
What's odd is that it says release day is November 20th yet Amazon is shipping them out already. Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, while others are expecting them as soon as tomorrow from Amazon. Glad I preordered in July for a price of $22.
Warner shifted the release date at the last minute. It was originally supposed to be this coming up tuesday, but Warner shifted the dates. Places like Amazon had stock early and some slipped through the shipping cracks before Warner told them to change the date
Ralph Potts and MackGuyver like this.
post #5 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yeah same situation here. When I saw the release date had been changed to November on https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html I was surprised since I'd been looking forward to this next week but then lo' and behold I got my "your product has shipped!" notification from Amazon that it'd be at my house tomorrow. I hope they didn't goof and send me something other than the 4K version.
post #6 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Ralph,
"The 4K UHD also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 6-track theatrical
."
Thanks
And what would be your preference. It's a shame they couldn't do a DTS:X version. Maybe they thought it wasn't needed. Anyway, this will be a buy for me.
Mike, I believe that there is a remixed track as well as a restored version of the original, all of which have been formatted for 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio). This allows up to three listening options. I have to give all three a listen so which would be my preference is yest to be determined.

Quote:
I couldn't find it on Amazon and checked Best Buy's website which shows it's availability as November 20th:

Best Buy

Regards,
connoralpha likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if it will make a difference for me since I upmix everything to DTS:X anyway. Even though the height part is sometimes weak because I am using Atmos "enabled" Focal Sib sib speakers, the wide part really does make a difference. It should be a great presentation anyway. I forget, was there a directors cut DVD a while back? This isn't that version right?

My System
post #8 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
A must buy for me. One of my favorite films.
post #9 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 106
There were duplication problems so Warner wasn't going to be able to fulfill orders by the original release date of October 30 so they changed the date to November 20th.
post #10 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 04:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5962 Post(s)
Liked: 5534
Just ordered for $23 on Amazon, unknown ship date.
post #11 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4984
Mine says arriving Tuesday. Pre ordered a while back so hopefully it comes!
post #12 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I had also pre-ordered mine over two months ago on Amazon and they're still saying "Arriving Tuesday", so I guess I'll find out. Could it be the deluxe edition that is pushed out to November?

Now, what I really want to hear is that Lawrence of Arabia is coming to UHD 4K! What's the holdup?
Madmax67 and connoralpha like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #13 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Pre-ordered back in Aug - says it's arriving 1 Nov but has not shipped yet so who knows?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #14 of 48 Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Mine says shipped arriving Saturday, which is odd as it would be pre-release date. I hope it's not a bad batch of discs. Since I seem to the be the earliest person (so far), I'll let you know.

I'm in the Florida Panhandle, though, and the USPS has been late on some of my Amazon orders lately, due to the hurricane damage, so don't hold me to Saturday as it might not happen.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments

Last edited by MackGuyver; 10-26-2018 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Arriving a day earlier
post #15 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received shipping notice last night with mine arriving today. Unfortunately I'm at the airport gone for the next 4 days. 🤨
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181026-085710_Samsung Internet_1540562240790.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	2473912  
post #16 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
woo hoo! mine just showed up. i did place my order the same day Amazon listed the SKU (February 28, eight months ago) so i can't claim this was dumb luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1026181151.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	721.9 KB
ID:	2474002  
Couch Viking likes this.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Amazon just charged my account for it. I was like what is going on. Guess it’s shipping out now.
post #18 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Just got it today

A2, A35, 150, 62fd, s790, s6500, x800, 83, 103D, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
post #19 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I received a shipping notice from Amazon earlier today also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #20 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Ralph,

."

Thanks

Here are a few notable things about the original audio track.

First, it has not to my knowledge been available on home video before (though *perhaps* on LD). More interestingly, it distinguished itself from the modern mix by spreading dialogue across the front three channels, thus following characters’ placement. It’s not so gimmicky as it sounds on paper. I’d say it’s fairly subtle until confronted with HAL’s voice which is spread across all three front channels simultaneously. This gives him an omnipresence that, depending on the viewer, is chilling and heightens the sense that man may now be the tool at the whim of his own creation.

When I saw the recent IMAX 4K restoration it was hands down my favorite element. That says a lot since it was an almost thoroughly stunning presentation. I’d hoped it would be on the disc and it’ll be the first thing I sample when my disc arrives (Amazon still says Tuesday, but we’ll see). The second thing, of course, will be to sample some scenes to relieve myself of the concern this is the Nolan version. I’m 99% sure it isn’t but unlike HAL I’m not 100% fool-proof and I’m prone to human error.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
post #21 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Which scenes are you going to check to confirm the version? Since some folks already have a copy, they could relieve us of the suspense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post

First, it has not to my knowledge been available on home video before (though *perhaps* on LD). More interestingly, it distinguished itself from the modern mix by spreading dialogue across the front three channels, thus following characters’ placement. It’s not so gimmicky as it sounds on paper. I’d say it’s fairly subtle until confronted with HAL’s voice which is spread across all three front channels simultaneously. This gives him an omnipresence that, depending on the viewer, is chilling and heightens the sense that man may now be the tool at the whim of his own creation.

When I saw the recent IMAX 4K restoration it was hands down my favorite element. That says a lot since it was an almost thoroughly stunning presentation. I’d hoped it would be on the disc and it’ll be the first thing I sample when my disc arrives (Amazon still says Tuesday, but we’ll see). The second thing, of course, will be to sample some scenes to relieve myself of the concern this is the Nolan version. I’m 99% sure it isn’t but unlike HAL I’m not 100% fool-proof and I’m prone to human error.
post #22 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
2001: A Space Odyssey is Coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Which scenes are you going to check to confirm the version? Since some folks already have a copy, they could relieve us of the suspense.

I’ve seen a few screenshots but haven’t been paying attention the last week. Life’s been... hectic. What little I’ve seen is reassuring (though I suspect Robert A. Harris’ reservations are well-founded).

Visually, I’ll spot check some of the Dawn of Man for the color of the sky and how evident the scotch guard patterns on the background are. The whites on the Earth orbiting station should be a giveaway. It’s chairs should be much closer to red than pink but not cherry red. I won’t look at the corridor on the Jupiter that was bleach white on the discarded 4K cover and re-release marketing materials because within the scene contexts it’s evident it shouldn’t be that white. These are not sophisticated answers, I know, but they’ll do well enough for me that I can sidestep endless online debates.

As to the sound, HAL has so little dialogue in the movie I’ll simply pick a random scene. I believe his first scene with both astronauts features the panning most readily obviously but my memory is less accurate than the chapter skip button will be.

I should note that I did NOT see the Nolan version (not out of spite — scheduling got in the way at the last minute). Two friends went separately and both were underwhelmed, including one who is very forgiving and doesn’t have a remotely technical eye. When the second round of screenings were announced I made sure not to make that mistake again. I saw it on an above average “LieMax” screen with one of those friends. It was stunning (despite some soft shots that may be from dupes). The other friend (with whom a few months earlier I visited an art installation based on the film’s final act) managed to see it on a genuine IMAX at the Smithsonian. He was floored. I was so excited that I did the math and signed up for AMC A-List just to squeeze in a few more viewings that paid off the three month commitment. Those were at a more local and subpar LieMax. Still quite good and appeared to be the same restoration, though the audio was harder to discern. Whether that’s because they used a different soundtrack (if multiple were provided) or due to a “meh” system, I can’t know. I will say that the audio at Smithsonian (I’m told) was — as it was during my own first screening — thunderously enveloping in the stargate and was both delicate and articulate in the subsequent hotel sequence. I don’t lament lack of DTS-X or ATMOS, though I can understand others’ disappointment. Elsewhere, the music selections were clearly limited by the vintage of the needle drops it’s my understanding Kubrick used.

I’m not the hugest stickler so I won’t take a side on these things so much as I want to be satisfied within my own perception. Either way, I paid my money down, and am certain this disc will improve upon the Blu-ray. I suspect each audio option will have plenty to offer and I look forward to having to watch this many times to decide (then change my mind) which one I prefer.
nathan_h likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
post #23 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post

Thanks. That's cool to know that it may be the first time the original track is offered. I wonder how this will sound up mixed through my preamp. Or should I just run it straight 5.1.
And to get to the video, which I know even less about, they say it's from the original 70mm print. Does that mean it should look like the presentation you saw in the theater? Will
it be that much better then a "regular" UHD?
IronWaffle likes this.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #24 of 48 Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

My review copy should arrive Monday.

Regards,
Bruce N and tvwatcher12345 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #25 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
$5 says Warner Brothers lost the data for the restored version and just didn't want to go through the trouble of restoring it again. This is the most ridiculous example of "OLDER IS BETTER!!" I've seen in the more mainstream side of the a/v world. Granted, I'm still reserving judgement until I see a screenshot comparison to the restored version, but my guess is this is mostly going to appeal to the "film grain or death" and "the pops and hisses make the music sound better" crowd.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #26 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
That’s the craziest bet ever. I’ll take that action. Lost the data? Seems unlikely since people already have the disk in hand.
IronWaffle likes this.
post #27 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
So I've taken a quick peak at the UHD version and I'm by no means a professional reviewer but figured I would share my impressions.

I started with the UHD and was pleasantly surprised to see the whites were very white compared to the unrestored trailer. That said when I did move back the Blu-Ray it was obvious the UHD was a tad warmer, however I felt the Blu-Ray leaned a little to the blue side, so I preferred the UHD there.

Overall color seems to have got a decent boost, relatively early there are some red chairs in a hallway they walk through and on the Blu-Ray they just feel blown out and sort of pinkish compared to the UHD which has a deeper red and you can see more detail in the chairs. It's not like an eye popping wow expanded color gamut sort of look, but it just looks right I suppose.

As for resolution there is a nice bump there, there is film grain but from the few scenes I saw it wasn't an overly intrusive film grain probably due to the 70mm film. Small signage and fabric do resolve a good bit more detail.

Seems like it is a solid upgrade in my eyes from the limited scenes I looked at, but will be interested to see how the whole film holds up and what reviewers like Ralph think of it. The Blu-Ray release was by no means a slouch, but I'm happy with the improvements.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #28 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
So I've taken a quick peak at the UHD version and I'm by no means a professional reviewer but figured I would share my impressions.

I started with the UHD and was pleasantly surprised to see the whites were very white compared to the unrestored trailer. That said when I did move back the Blu-Ray it was obvious the UHD was a tad warmer, however I felt the Blu-Ray leaned a little to the blue side, so I preferred the UHD there.

Overall color seems to have got a decent boost, relatively early there are some red chairs in a hallway they walk through and on the Blu-Ray they just feel blown out and sort of pinkish compared to the UHD which has a deeper red and you can see more detail in the chairs. It's not like an eye popping wow expanded color gamut sort of look, but it just looks right I suppose.

As for resolution there is a nice bump there, there is film grain but from the few scenes I saw it wasn't an overly intrusive film grain probably due to the 70mm film. Small signage and fabric do resolve a good bit more detail.

Seems like it is a solid upgrade in my eyes from the limited scenes I looked at, but will be interested to see how the whole film holds up and what reviewers like Ralph think of it. The Blu-Ray release was by no means a slouch, but I'm happy with the improvements.
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Did you watch the Dolby Vision or HDR10 version?
post #30 of 48 Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Did you watch the Dolby Vision or HDR10 version?
HDR10 and for what it is worth Max Content Light Level: 992 cd/m2 and Maximum Frame-Average Light Level: 282 cd/m2

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page