Incredibles 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Incredibles 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this follow-up to 2004’s beloved Disney*Pixar classic that reunites fans with the incredible family of Supers.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney*Pixar - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos7.1.4/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowel, Huck Milner, Samuel L. Jackson, Bob Odenkirk, Catherine Keener, Jonathan Banks, Sophia Bush, Isabella Rossellini
Written & Directed by: Brad Bird
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: November 6, 2018

"It’s Been Too Long, Dahlings"

My Take:

In Incredibles 2,” Helen is called on to lead a campaign to bring Supers back, while Bob navigates the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life at home with Violet, Dash and baby Jack-Jack—whose super powers are about to be discovered. Their mission is derailed, however, when a new villain emerges with a brilliant and dangerous plot that threatens everything. But the Parrs don’t shy away from a challenge, especially with Frozone by their side. That’s what makes this family so Incredible.

I thought I would begin this review with my thoughts on The Incredibles:

I guess I am just a big kid at heart but when this arrived at my doorstep, I couldn’t help feeling a bit more giddy than I care to admit. I would imagine that by now most reading this have seen or are at least familiar with The Incredibles. I have often been asked which of the Disney/Pixar films I like the best. That is a tough question because as a fan I find them all highly entertaining. I think that the best way to answer that question would be to say that my personal favorite depends. With Disney now releasing them on Blu-ray I have been able to experience them in a new way and it seems like whenever I finish watching one I say to myself ‘this is my favorite’. That is exactly how I felt after watching The Incredibles for this review.

It has been a number of years since I have seen it but it’s still so much fun to watch. The story isn’t complex but engages by integrating definable plot points that speak to familial and social issues combined with elements of humor, action/adventure and fantasy. Add well-constructed characters, clever exposition, and intelligent direction to the mix and this is high bar, memorable family fun. Each of the primary members of the cast is each given their moment to shine and does so with warm enthusiasm and spot on timing. Films like The Incredibles can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next which is a testament to the quality of family-oriented entertainment that comes the folks at Disney/Pixar.

As much as I wanted to, I never made it out to the theater to see Incredibles 2. I eagerly awaited its release on home video. I heard primarily positive things about it but, opted to go into viewing with reserved expectations. I am happy to report that I enjoyed Incredibles 2 nearly as much as the first film. In addition to the original cast, most of whom reprise their roles, newcomers Huck Milner, Jonathan Banks, Bob Odenkirk, and Catherine Keener do a terrific job. Like the first film this a well-crafted animated feature containing plenty of family friendly humor, light action and heartwarming charm. It is a befitting sequel that builds upon the foundation of The Incredibles. It’s an entertaining family film that is sure to see plenty of replays in my home.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action sequences and some brief mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Incredibles 2 comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Disney featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

I watched the Blu-ray version of Incredibles 2 first, so going into viewing the Ultra HD presentation it's 1080p video quality was still fresh in my mind. Digital animation tends to look quite good in high definition so I couldn't help but have preconceived notions regarding a positive viewing experience of this film in Ultra HD. Incredibles 2 is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia, especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters. This also applied to backgrounds which emphasized depth of field. The scenes that take place in Edna’s lab and the huge house that the Parr’s are staying in look nearly 3D at times. The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the broad chromatic palate, and use of contrast. Whites are gradational and bright and the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences that take place at night, or with limited lighting, the extended chase of the runaway train and Helen’s battle with The Screenslaver in the apartment, look amazing, appearing multi-staged and dimensional.

The application of HDR added a complimentary and defining element that proved eye-catching. The rescue of the Ambassador features fiery crashes which looked dazzling. The film’s opening scene/battle features flames and mini explosions that sparkle against the deep, shadowy backgrounds underground and within the large machine. As good as Incredibles 2 looks in 1080p, the Ultra HD rendering, while not heads and shoulders above it, takes it to another level, making for a visually engaging and pleasing video presentation.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, music, and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location.

Some examples of this can be during the opening sequence, the aforementioned train and Ambassador rescues and Helen’s encounter with “The Screenslaver”. These are to name a few, as there are ample times where near field objects, and multi-staged atmospherics places you inside the scene as sounds rotate and revolve around the sound field from both above and at ear level. While this is not what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix, it is an active one, that complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Incredibles 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts vibrant colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail rendering is terrific as the video has three-dimensional quality with crisp texture and excellent fine articulation. Contrast is boldly applied, whites are crisp, and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and enriching gradational highlights. This is a beautiful and pristine quality digital transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes for a rewarding home theater experience. As has been the case with recent Disney sound mixes on Blu-ray turning the volume up is a requirement. In this case I found that an 8db increase yielded the best results. After that dynamics are solid, providing the elements contained within the recording with definitive energy and potent impact. Michael Giacchino’s music score plays an integral role in this presentation and the entire surround platform is used to present the instrumental performance.

Dialog is crystalline with appreciable tonal inflection and non-sibilant vocal character. The auditory is rich in clarity and detail which allows the subtle environmental sounds in the recording to easily be heard. The mix creates an immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance which correlates nicely with the events transpiring onscreen. Low frequency effects are solid and when called upon engage the room with palpable low-level bass. This is an involving surround sound mix that makes for an entertaining audio presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Incredibles 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Incredibles 2 Blu-ray
    Digital Exclusives:
    • The Coolest Guy in Show Business – In this partially illustrated documentary, Samuel L. Jackson reflects how his childhood and love of comics shaped his passion for film and imaginative storytelling.
    • 2 SuperScene Breakdowns – Casual commentary-style pieces looking at specific scenes in the film (The Racoon Fight and Mrs. Incredible) through a particular creative focus like action choreography, set design or story.

Blu-ray & Digital:
    • All-New “Auntie Edna” Mini-Movie - When Bob Parr visits super-suit designer Edna Mode looking for help with his high-energy toddler Jack-Jack, Edna pulls an all-nighter designing a suit to harness the baby’s seemingly limitless powers.
    • 10 Deleted Scenes With Introductions - Suburban Escape, Kari Revisited, Return of the Supers, Chewed Out, Late Audition, Slow Day, Frozone and Honey, Restaurant Robbery, Fashion Show and Security Breakdown.
    • Super Stuff - From buildings and vehicles to costumes and props, every action movie requires a lot of really cool stuff. Meet the makers and learn what it takes to design and build such a uniquely incredible world.
    • Heroes & Villains – A collection of mini-docs about the backstory and major design ideas behind the “Incredibles 2” characters — featuring voice actors, director Brad Bird, and Pixar artists talking about the many elements that make these characters feel real.
    • Ralph Eggleston: Production Designer - This short piece explores the many ways a single production designer has influenced the look, feel and character of the Pixar universe, culminating in “Incredibles 2.”
    • Strong Coffee: A Lesson in Animation with Brad Bird - Brad Bird’s passion for animation dates back to his childhood and mentorship under Disney’s Milt Kahl, and that enthusiasm and powerful insight emanates from every film he’s made. Take a deep dive into Brad’s early years at Disney Animation Studios and his time at Pixar.
    • Paths to Pixar: Everyday Heroes - At its heart, “Incredibles 2” is about family dynamics and the challenges of being a working parent. Meet the parents of Pixar as they discuss their personal connections to the film and their experience with stretching to balance work and family.
    • SuperBaby – A documentary/hip hop music video hybrid hosted by Frankie and Paige from Disney Channel’s Bizaardvark. This piece explores how Jack-Jack came to life onscreen — from design to special effects to animation — all set to a hot beat.
    • Commentary – Get inside commentary from animators Alan Barillaro (supervising animator), Tony Fucile (supervising animator, story artist and character designer), Dave Mullins (supervising animator) and Bret Parker (animation second unit and crowds supervisor).
    • Theatrical Short: “Bao” - An aging Chinese mom suffering from empty nest syndrome gets another chance at motherhood when one of her dumplings springs to life as a lively, giggly dumpling boy.
    • Making “Bao” - Director Domee Shi shares her secret recipe for making an animated short — discussing how her rich cultural heritage, unique relationship with her mom, and her love of food all informed the making of the food-fantasy “Bao.”
    • Outtakes & Stories - Raccoon Fight Story, Evelyn Animation Outtakes, Puppet Animator Interview, Outtakes Goofy Arms Story and SuperBaby Music Video.
    • Character Theme Songs, Vintage Toy Commercial TV Spots , Toolkit Montage and Global “Incredibles 2” Trailers
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

As with its predecessor I found Incredibles 2 to be an entertaining and worthy entry that can be enjoyed by kids and their parents. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Disney Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra HD quality, sparkling high definition video, gratifying lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos mix, and a fan friendly assortment of extras that are worth exploring. Incredibles 2 is pitch perfect family entertainment that comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The UHD doesn't have the strobe light effect during the flashing screens scenes like it did in theaters. I prefer the way it is on the UHD so that I can see the scene better compared to the flashing bright lights. I liked how the overall picture wasn't too bright and made the hdr highlights stick out more. The texture on the Supers' suits looked amazing!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I'm afraid I don't get this passage:

"Incredibles 2 is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia, especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters."

If it's 2K upconverted to 4K, how can it display "finer texture" when compared to BluRay, which is native 2K? You can get, maybe, less aliased diagonal lines with good upscaling but "finer texture" requires more information, which upscaling cannot generate, as far as I know it.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
If it's 2K upconverted to 4K, how can it display "finer texture" when compared to BluRay, which is native 2K? You can get, maybe, less aliased diagonal lines with good upscaling but "finer texture" requires more information, which upscaling cannot generate, as far as I know it.
This is just common, typical improvement, AFAIK. (I've seen it all the time in the blu-ray.com reviews that I've read many more of...)

1080p/Blu-ray is slightly less resolution than 2K, actually, which could explain part of it. And Ultra HD's further encoding improvements (HEVC) could help retain more detail, e.g. less perceived compression or such.
tenthplanet and connoralpha like this.
post #5 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post
This is just common, typical improvement, AFAIK. (I've seen it all the time in the blu-ray.com reviews that I've read many more of...)

1080p/Blu-ray is slightly less resolution than 2K, actually, which could explain part of it. And Ultra HD's further encoding improvements (HEVC) could help retain more detail, e.g. less perceived compression or such.
This. Starting with the same 2K content, compressing to disc with the H.264 codec may produce visually different results than upscaling and compressing it with the H.265 codec. I'm not sure why so many folks can't get a grip on that idea. The simple fact that its been upscaled from 2K is not the point. And of course there's the whole consideration of SDR vs HDR that left out of the conversation. But I think people forget that video is compressed on discs, and its compressed differently on BD than on UHD.
JohnAV likes this.
post #6 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Another great review.

Ralph

It's a mystery to me how you are able to make each review sound different then the others you have created.

If I did it, eventually each would sound like the previous.

By the way, if the Post Office delivered today, I would be watching Incredibles2 right now.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #7 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5086 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
Has Disney NOT crippled/compressed the audio on this disc as they have on so many others (like the most recent Avengers or the 2nd Ant Man movie)? If they have I will refuse to buy it. If they have not, I will purchase immediately.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #8 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I have Incredibles 2 on 4K disk and I can confirm that Disney finally decided to give a blockbuster movie the Dolby Atmos audio track that it deserves. The audio is dynamic and makes plenty of use of the LFE and overheads. Same with Ant Man and the Wasp, what a difference with earlier pathetic 4K Disney movies with gimped audio.

Although both disks are an improvement, they are nowhere close to Mad Max Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, The Matrix, etc., so Disney has made steps but has not earned the benefit of the doubt yet.
Ralph Potts, darthray and RUN-NE1 like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #9 of 55 Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 3357
Ralph

First I would like to Thank You, for another outstanding review!
And also very much, enjoy your thought about the first movie.

That one also left me, with nostalgia feeling, as great movie that I keep remembering, as a great movie.
Since the actress "Linda Hunt", in the show NCIS LA show, keep me remembering of Her;
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Linda...w=1344&bih=686
Every time, I watch this show. I got flash back on how great, the character. She played voice wise, and the way She was portray, in this animation movie was, for Her stature, and keep me remembering of Her, in that first movie
This little actress, not only know how to act, but also demand attentions, for all Her roles, in various roles, as an actress

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-12-2018 at 10:01 PM.
post #10 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Getting mixed reviews on the AV front

Some say the UHD picture is darker than the Blu-ray and only a subtle improvement.

For Audio, some say this is a 30Hz mix.

Quite confused.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
post #11 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This. Starting with the same 2K content, compressing to disc with the H.264 codec may produce visually different results than upscaling and compressing it with the H.265 codec. I'm not sure why so many folks can't get a grip on that idea.
It's not that I cannot get a grip on the idea. It's simply that I forgot about the different codec used for compressing video on BD and BD UHD.
Quote:
The simple fact that its been upscaled from 2K is not the point. And of course there's the whole consideration of SDR vs HDR that left out of the conversation.
I left out of the conversation the whole SDR vs HDR thing because, for me, it's not in discussion. I was questioning a specific passage and I've now received a reasonable explanation. Good.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #12 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I have Incredibles 2 on 4K disk and I can confirm that Disney finally decided to give a blockbuster movie the Dolby Atmos audio track that it deserves. The audio is dynamic and makes plenty of use of the LFE and overheads. Same with Ant Man and the Wasp, what a difference with earlier pathetic 4K Disney movies with gimped audio.

Although both disks are an improvement, they are nowhere close to Mad Max Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, The Matrix, etc., so Disney has made steps but has not earned the benefit of the doubt yet.
The new Matrix re-releases in 4K/HDR are one of the very best examples of how 3D audio ought to be mixed. And it will use every speaker in the room.

I will now order Incredibles 2.
Ralph Potts and GPBURNS like this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
post #13 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv316 View Post

Some say the UHD picture is darker than the Blu-ray and only a subtle improvement.

Quite confused.

Greetings,

Sometimes you have to roll the dice and see for yourself..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sometimes you have to roll the dice and see for yourself..

Regards,
I will do that Ralph lol once I have this in hand next week.

post #15 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv316 View Post

Quite confused.

The ulf bass is missing if you look at the graphs in the bass thread, BUT I thought the bass and audio were excellent otherwise on the blu ray I rented. Good movie and worthy sequel as well IMO. My experience certainly mimics Ralph's and audiofan1 on this one. I'm sure I'll add either the 4k or import the 3d version at some point for my collection.

Question Ralph if you happen to know....
Spoiler!
Sure seemed like it, but it was close if he did so maybe not.

Last edited by Toe; 11-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.
post #16 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Ralph, glad you enjoyed the movie as much as I did. I've been periodically looking on Amazon to see when this would be released......imagine my surprise to see your review and discover it's already available! Apparently Amazon wants you to buy their prime streaming version so badly that the other formats don't even come up on a search.

Pioneer SC-95, 2x Crown XLS 1000 (LCR amps)
3x Epos Epic 2(LCR), 4x Emotiva UAW 6.2(Surrounds), 4x Aperion Intimus LC-I6(Atmos/DTS:X)
2x Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
post #17 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Thank you for the excellent review Ralph! I watched Incredibles 2 UHD BD last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed everything. But why is the picture so dim? I thought there was something wrong with my TV.
post #18 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsertedsun View Post
The UHD doesn't have the strobe light effect during the flashing screens scenes like it did in theaters. I prefer the way it is on the UHD so that I can see the scene better compared to the flashing bright lights. I liked how the overall picture wasn't too bright and made the hdr highlights stick out more. The texture on the Supers' suits looked amazing!
ah, now that I remember there were signs outside of theater auditorium alerting "possible seizure inducing visual effects" (or something like those lines). am curious to check out the differences, though frankly I don't remember much else of the movie.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #19 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post
Ralph, glad you enjoyed the movie as much as I did. I've been periodically looking on Amazon to see when this would be released......imagine my surprise to see your review and discover it's already available! Apparently Amazon wants you to buy their prime streaming version so badly that the other formats don't even come up on a search.
I tried searching as well and only found the streaming version. So I went to bluray.com, found it there and used that link.

post #20 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
I'm afraid I don't get this passage:

"Incredibles 2 is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia, especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters."

Two things that need to be clarified. Pixar has been selectively rendering portions of their movies at native 4K for the parts that benefit most from the higher resolution, but it doesn't get conveyed in the any of the information that gets put out on IMDB or other places. Unfortunately it just gets called upconverted 2K even though the places where you can actually see higher resolution were likely rendered at 4K. The other thing is that upscaling techniques that are available now are more advanced than the old filters most people are familiar with. Adaptive filters, and especially machine learning techniques for super resolution, can increase the information content in the image.
post #21 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
The ulf bass is missing if you look at the graphs in the bass thread, BUT I thought the bass and audio were excellent otherwise on the blu ray I rented. Good movie and worthy sequel as well IMO. My experience certainly mimics Ralph's and audiofan1 on this one. I'm sure I'll add either the 4k or import the 3d version at some point for my collection.

Question Ralph if you happen to know....
Spoiler!
Sure seemed like it, but it was close if he did so maybe not.
Greetings,

Glad to hear this Todd. As for your question:
Spoiler!

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #22 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Another fun movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Has Disney NOT crippled/compressed the audio on this disc as they have on so many others (like the most recent Avengers or the 2nd Ant Man movie)? If they have I will refuse to buy it. If they have not, I will purchase immediately.
I rented the 1080p Blu-ray from Redbox; I had to really crank it up to appreciate the audio mix. But in fairness to Disney I'm glad there was some decent bass/LFE in spite of the need to turn it to -5...I have releases by them that really disappoint, even at Reference Level.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #24 of 55 Old 11-13-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Hey Ralph,

Thanks (as always) for the excellent review. I probably wouldn't score it (the 1080p release) as high as you did, for the first few scenes weren't as good as I expected (there were some soft shots and a lack of texture), but once the "other super heroes" were introduced, the colors exploded on the scene, along with superb contrast, details and texture.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #25 of 55 Old 11-14-2018, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Will be picking this up, Thanks Ralph

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #26 of 55 Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Ralph,

Thanks (as always) for the excellent review. I probably wouldn't score it (the 1080p release) as high as you did, for the first few scenes weren't as good as I expected (there were some soft shots and a lack of texture), but once the "other super heroes" were introduced, the colors exploded on the scene, along with superb contrast, details and texture.
Hey Denny, I didn't notice that in those early moments but, I am glad that things picked up for you afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Will be picking this up, Thanks Ralph

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sure thing Frank! Post back after you've seen it.

Regards,
Franin likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 55 Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Picked this up on day one, love it! I am hoping the third movie really develops the kids, like having them train and come up with their own super hero names and so on. Another spin off to this would be to see what Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl parents were like if they were Supers and maybe Super Heroes fighting during WWII since the Incredible era is around the late 50s to late 60s. Given the Decor and style of vehicles they drive like the know off split window corvette from the first movie.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #28 of 55 Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
The audio is nowhere as good as the original was, which was reportedly "disneyfied" as well for the 4 k version. Sorry but raising the MV won't fix anything in this regard , as this is a mixing issue not an encoding one. In the old audio thread I would put this into Tier 1 or two steps below reference.
hdtv316 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #29 of 55 Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
The audio is nowhere as good as the original was, which was reportedly "disneyfied" as well for the 4 k version. Sorry but raising the MV won't fix anything in this regard , as this is a mixing issue not an encoding one. In the old audio thread I would put this into Tier 1 or two steps below reference.
My experience was different. I actually watched part 1 and 2 back to back both on blu ray Saturday (DTS-HD-MA tracks on both) and the general sound design seemed the same to me. I didn't notice any night/day differences like going from Attack of the Clones to Revenge of the Sith.
hdtv316 likes this.
post #30 of 55 Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
My experience was different. I actually watched part 1 and 2 back to back both on blu ray Saturday (DTS-HD-MA tracks on both) and the general sound design seemed the same to me. I didn't notice any night/day differences like going from Attack of the Clones to Revenge of the Sith.
I'm not talking about the sound design, yes it is similar in that regard, but mainly the bass and dynamics, which is consistent in the original, and all over on the sequel. The opening "Underminer" sequence is a prime example. I wouldn't say night and day difference, that would be "How to Train Your Dragon" 1&2, but certainly noticeable.
Toe likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page