The Meg Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
The Meg Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

After escaping an attack by what he claims was a 70-foot shark, Jonas Taylor returned to find that no one believe him. Five years later, Jonas must confront his fears and risk his own life to return to the ocean depths…bringing him face-to-face once more with the apex predator of all time.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 113 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jason Statham, Li Bingbing, Rainn Wilson, Ruby Rose, Winston Chad, Cliff Curtis
Directed by: Jon Turteltaub
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams
Written by: Dean Georgaris, Jon Hoeber, Erich Hoeber
Region Code: A

Release Date: November 13, 2018

"Everything is Bait"

My Take:

A deep-sea submersible—part of an international undersea observation program—has been attacked by a massive creature and now lies disabled at the bottom of the deepest part of the Pacific Ocean…with its crew trapped inside. With time running out, former deep-sea rescue diver Jonas Taylor (Jason Statham) is drawn out of self-imposed exile by a visionary Chinese oceanographer, Dr. Zhang (Winston Chao), against the wishes of his daughter, Suyin (Li Bingbing), who thinks she can rescue the crew on her own. But it will take their combined efforts to save the crew, and the ocean itself, from this seemingly unstoppable threat—a prehistoric 75-foot-long shark known as the Megalodon. Thought to be extinct, the Meg turns out to be very much alive…and on the hunt.

Five years before, Jonas had encountered this same terrifying creature, but no one had believed him. Now, teamed with Suyin, Jonas must confront his fears and risk his own life to return to the ocean depths…bringing him face-to-face once more with the apex predator of all time.

I have to be honest, the trailer for The Meg painted a grim picture BUT, it’s just the kind of cheesy, over the top, B-movie thriller that sometimes makes for fun popcorn entertainment. So, in that light I sat down to view it, with my wife, hoping for a bit of mindless entertainment. Well, it didn’t reach far enough to strike me as attention grabbing genre fare but, it doesn’t take itself too seriously, standing at the precipice of banality and oddly charming. I like Jason Statham and can’t think if a film I haven’t liked him in, including this one. He and Li Bingbing, along with Shuya Sophia Cai, combined to provide most of the film’s best moments.

The remaining cast members, some of whom are notable, added essentially nothing to the proceedings. The biggest disappointment though was what should have been the star of the show, the shark. I won’t go into details as they could be spoilers for those wanting to see the film. I would have preferred a more formidable foe and a bit more gore, especially given the thematic context of the film. Despite that, I found The Meg to be a mildly entertaining time passer that I would probably watch again.

Replay Value: 3.5 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action/peril, bloody images, and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Meg comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD The Meg was derived from a 2.8K source, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K. The 1080p transfer for The Meg looks great and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, emboldened contrast, and a noticeably sharper image. The film has a multitude of sequences containing streaming/cascading light, and mixed light dark elements, that simply look terrific. At times this can be a somewhat darkish film, and its low-level sequences had excellent depth and dimension.

Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue, red, and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated. Secondary hues look great as well. During interior sequences whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, particularly during the underwater scenes involving the submersibles. The specular highlights during the various explosions look terrific. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural. The sun splashed exterior sequences had an over exposed aesthetic that white washed them, something that I found distracting.

Resolution received a boost although the differences between the UHD and 1080p renderings aren’t quite night and day. Close-ups tend to look amazing, with resolvable texture visible in the various interior/exterior sets, physical features, and CGI backgrounds being quite obvious. Having not seen this film’s theatrical presentation, I can’t be certain but, I believe that what we are seeing is a faithful rendering of the film’s elements. The Meg in Ultra HD presents extremely well and is the best way to experience the film on home video.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for The Meg, I found the HDR renderings to be very close. Each presented similarly in terms of color rendering, but I did take a close look at contrast, and delineation, during scenes containing dark and bright elements. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, I felt that the DV presentation revealed slightly better interstitials in the darkest portions of the image, and white detail that wasn’t quite as hot, resulting in better definition. These differences aren’t especially noteworthy, but in the grand scheme, made for a more pleasing image. At the end of the day both looked excellent, leaving me satisfied with what I saw.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. You get a taste of what is to come with the opening sequence that takes place on the crippled submersible. The use of audio objects placed above, and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects, and music. This is done to excellent effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. The film’s active moments, swallow you up as the revolving, rotating and all-encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

The Meg comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

Video quality is solid and delivers images that are highly detailed and artifact free. Detail reproduction is excellent as both people and objects are rendered with crystal clear definition that is at times, meticulously resolved. Long distant camera pans are smooth and three dimensional in perspective with well-articulated minutia. Blacks are stable and deep with appreciable dynamic range. Contrast is emboldened and stable so that colors and whites are delineated, unless overdriven by design. Fleshtones are lifelike and reflective of the varying complexional types among the cast. The video had a sharp, pristine quality that looked great.

Incorporating elements of suspense and action, a film like this relies heavily on its soundtrack to elicit the intended effect upon the audience, and the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD (core) and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio does just that. This is an active sound design that features an array of well-placed sound effects that engage the listening position. When called upon the room is illuminated with an array of sounds that are both directional and ambient in nature. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Bass reproduction is clean and hard hitting as it accentuates the audio’s excellent dynamic range with palpable impact. Dialog intelligibility is never a problem even during the film’s active moments. This is a great surround sound experience that made this film a bit more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Meg Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The Meg Blu-ray
  • Creating the Beast - Featurette
  • Chomp on This: Making on The Meg - Featurette
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

The Meg probably isn’t destined for cult-classic status as a B-Movie but, it has enough going for it to make for a mildly entertaining bit of escapism that I didn’t mind spending an evening with. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall video and sound mated with a middling supplemental set. If you’re looking for a “check your brain at the door” flick when you feel like ramping up your home theater The Meg is just the ticket.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
gbaby, 5x10, TravisPNW and 3 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *Final Price Drop*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Thanks for the review Ralph. I enjoyed this movie in the theater along with my preteen daughter who loves shark movies. If it had been any gorier I wouldn't have taken her, which is possibly why they held back on the gore. Agreed that The Meg won't be contending for Oscar, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. This will be a must buy in our household.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Will be definitely picking this up. Missed it at the movies can't wait to watch on the big screen at home

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Ok, Ralph

You talked me into it.

Heading down to Red Box right now.

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #5 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. Looking forward to checking it out in 3D and atmos tonight.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Is the story-line as hokey as the press photos? I mean, is the overall story as silly as showing people "floating" on inner-tubes out in what would have to be at minimum 30 feet deep ocean waters?

I guess what I am asking is, does it have dumb plot elements like making huge 2 person robots to punch monsters, in lue of using howitzers with armor piercing rounds, in a good way (so you have an excuse to make awesome robots ala Pacific Rim?) Or is it full of pointlessly dumb plot points like sharks falling out of the sky just so you can have some banal and superficial characters drive around in a constant state of panic more akin to Sharknado?
post #7 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Is the story-line as hokey as the press photos? I mean, is the overall story as silly as showing people "floating" on inner-tubes out in what would have to be at minimum 30 feet deep ocean waters?

I guess what I am asking is, does it have dumb plot elements like making huge 2 person robots to punch monsters, in lue of using howitzers with armor piercing rounds, in a good way (so you have an excuse to make awesome robots ala Pacific Rim?) Or is it full of pointlessly dumb plot points like sharks falling out of the sky just so you can have some banal and superficial characters drive around in a constant state of panic more akin to Sharknado?
It's somewhere between Jaws and Sharknado on The Official Shark Movie Scale. It could have been better. It could have been worse. Just give it a rent and see for yourself.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric HA View Post
It's somewhere between Jaws and Sharknado on The Official Shark Movie Scale. It could have been better. It could have been worse. Just give it a rent and see for yourself.
Greetings,

There's not any real science behind where the Meg has been lurking for thousands of years, it's accidental discovery or release but, it never purports to be anything more than it is. Sharknado it's not and, while it gets a little silly, it's all relative and doesn't come across as definitively hokey, simply for the sake of it.

Eric is right. Give it a rent and see what you think.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 11-15-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Made a bag of popcorn and sank my teeth into The Meg. Agree with everything Ralph said about the sound - simply put, a rollercoaster of sound that is smartly done - a fun ride.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 7758
I was really on the fence with this one,

The BesBuy Steelbook has been in and out of my online cart more times over the past week than any movie before it.
I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesy flix though, provided the 4K/UHD delivers top notch Audio and Video.

So once again Ralph, you have pushed me past the tipping point with your scores!

On the Way!

Thanks' (again)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #11 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Thanks for the review Ralph. Amazon just sent me my copy.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #12 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I was really on the fence with this one,

The BesBuy Steelbook has been in and out of my online cart more times over the past week than any movie before it.
I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesy flix though, provided the 4K/UHD delivers top notch Audio and Video.

So once again Ralph, you have pushed me past the tipping point with your scores!

On the Way!

Thanks' (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph. Amazon just sent me my copy.
Greetings,

You're quite welcome guys! Post back after you've seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

There's not any real science behind where the Meg has been lurking for thousands of years, it's accidental discovery or release but, it never purports to be anything more than it is. Sharknado it's not and, while it gets a little silly, it's all relative and doesn't come across as definitively hokey, simply for the sake of it.

Eric is right. Give it a rent and see what you think.

Regards,
This movie is a leave your brain at the door type of film and enjoy the fun. Nothing better than Statham vs Meg. Looking forward in watching it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #14 of 37 Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2982
I was going to pass on this one, since I never heard of it.

But after reading Ralph review, with a very good score, for PQ/SQ on the 4K release, and so many positive comments.
It is now a must buy for me, and will pick-it up tomorrow
Will post my comments, when I watch this one.

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-16-2018, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Nice! Thanks for the review!

I'll give this a rental!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #16 of 37 Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
"what you guys never watched shark Week? " "Just keep swimming" LOL

Statham can [sort of] dive too, for those who didn't know.

Ralph Potts, Eric HA and darthray like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #17 of 37 Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Is it bad that I didn't find the movie ridiculous enough? I wanted more shark, more blood, more insanity. I saw it in theaters, and I was shockingly bored.
post #18 of 37 Old 11-17-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
I watched this earlier today and I was impressed with the striking clarity (especially in outdoor, daytime scenes) and details (most notably in facial close-ups where texture was on display in all its UHD glory). Colors were vibrant, flesh tones were accurate, and depth was, at times, off the charts. Black levels were okay but in underwater scenes they became a bit murky resulting in a loss of details. The biggest negative was CONTRAST in a few scenes...the one that really stood out was the last "beach scenes"....it was spiked so high it looked "washed out."

I thought it was a good "popcorn rental" with plenty of action. I, like you Ralph, enjoy anything with Jason Statham in it!
darthray and Ralph Potts like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #19 of 37 Old 11-17-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

But after reading Ralph review, with a very good score, for PQ/SQ on the 4K release, and so many positive comments.

Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I watched this earlier today and I was impressed with the striking clarity (especially in outdoor, daytime scenes) and details (most notably in facial close-ups where texture was on display in all its UHD glory). Colors were vibrant, flesh tones were accurate, and depth was, at times, off the charts. Black levels were okay but in underwater scenes they became a bit murky resulting in a loss of details. The biggest negative was CONTRAST in a few scenes...the one that really stood out was the last "beach scenes"....it was spiked so high it looked "washed out."

I thought it was a good "popcorn rental" with plenty of action. I, like you Ralph, enjoy anything with Jason Statham in it!
Thanks for your comments

As I said from my previous post, posted on the quote above yours.
I now have my copy, and looking very much forward to watch this one.
My only hard decision for tomorrow, is either this one, or Incredibles2.

Ray
post #20 of 37 Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Ray
This is in the top 15 highest grossing movies of 2018 surpassing Solo and Rampage and made enough money at the box office well above its production budget.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #21 of 37 Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
with lossless audio rating "100" is surly a must have!
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #22 of 37 Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I picked this up yesterday while browsing BB... had heard about it but it had mixed reviews on RT so I wasn't expecting Jaws by any means.

Still... was pleasantly surprised. An entertaining movie with solid effects and the PQ was stunning on the OLED... Atmos was great too.

I didn't see this review till just now... but you're definitely spot on with the review Ralph! A great addition to the collection! My new go to "show off the OLED/sound system" movie!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #23 of 37 Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finish watching this one.
And to my pleasant surprise, it was much better than expected
I agree with previous posts, that it is a popcorn movie, but one with some actions, funny moment and a nice story.

Picture was, I thought, it was very good and details. Sound wise. I found all surrounds (side, back and ceiling), to be very active
Did find the bass on the heavy side, at some places.
That said it is my personal opinion for the bass, and other find-it perfect.

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-18-2018 at 04:31 PM.
post #24 of 37 Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Enjoyable.

I was disappointed, though. I kept waiting to hear the line "You're gonna need a bigger boat", but it was never delivered. (That's a Jaws reference, for you whippersnappers.)

There was a break from cliché.
Spoiler!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 37 Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
The 3D BD is also great.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 37 Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Enjoyable.

I was disappointed, though. I kept waiting to hear the line "You're gonna need a bigger boat", but it was never delivered. (That's a Jaws reference, for you whippersnappers.)

There was a break from cliché.
Spoiler!

Yeah I was waiting for that line too.

Is it just me or did anyone else when they showed the overhead beach scene think to themselves...

SKITTLES!

LOL
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27 of 37 Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I enjoyed this one. Plenty of use of the surrounds. I spotted a couple of Star Trek references. Save the wh... Doh!!! I found the Jaxx character strangely attractive... the same type of attraction that I find in Camina Drummer ( from The Expanse. ) And. Yes. The shark tasted the rainbow.
Ralph Potts and TravisPNW like this.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #28 of 37 Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
I enjoyed this one. Plenty of use of the surrounds. I spotted a couple of Star Trek references. Save the wh... Doh!!! I found the Jaxx character strangely attractive... the same type of attraction that I find in Camina Drummer ( from The Expanse. ) And. Yes. The shark tasted the rainbow.
A great review Ralph!

I watched this last night - what a fun movie to watch in 4K UHD. This is how all 4K movies should look and sound!!!!!!!!!
Ralph Potts likes this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #29 of 37 Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm gonna say a rental... fun but for the cost of owning it vs renting? Rent it.
post #30 of 37 Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 7758
O-M-G the 4K/UHD Dolby Vision on this one is absolutely Demo worthy!
100% agree with everyone who said THIS is how all 4K/UHD's should look!

ATMOS top Notch too!

... and as it turns out, the movie actually had a half decent story line.
Not the cheese-fest I was expecting at all.

...A Must Own IMHO!
Ralph Potts and hdtv316 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page