First Man Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #31 of 100 Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Hello all,
I do not understand why so many people disliked this movie. Watching this movie brought me back to my child hood when we used to watch these rockets blasting off in our elementary school classes. I really enjoyed this movie. I also wanted to add that yes, there was not allot of ultrasonics in the film but I thought the Atmos hight effects were amazing? I totally felt immersed in the sound field!

Regards
Jeff
IronWaffle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 100 Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I just saw someone reference this article today that goes into the research that went into this movie on Armstrong's life as the script was adapted from the book. It sheds a lot of light, I think, on why this film was received the way it was because it was not what many people were expecting and probably impacted the box office as a result. Not trying to derail the thread, but consider this an extra behind-the-scenes from the filmmakers to supplement the bonus features on the release.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/01/fi...er-1202033682/
IronWaffle likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #33 of 100 Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 110
"this film isn't meant to be a documentary"

So? That's not a get out of jail free card.

I grew up on the south side of the island whose north side was Cape Kennedy and the launch pads. Dad worked for space admin. I saw the last few Mercury's, all the Gemini's and the bulk of the Apollo launches.

If you're going to make a movie tied to history you don't get to rewrite it and declare "diplomatic immunity" because its not a documentary.

There's a reason it bombed in the box office and it wasn't because the Atmos sound track lacked bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 100 Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
This is a sci-fi/drama, set in the past..

Ralph: it ain't "sci-fi"...

Last edited by jocedeg; 01-12-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #35 of 100 Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post

It's "Sci-Fa"
post #36 of 100 Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
"this film isn't meant to be a documentary"

So? That's not a get out of jail free card.

I grew up on the south side of the island whose north side was Cape Kennedy and the launch pads. Dad worked for space admin. I saw the last few Mercury's, all the Gemini's and the bulk of the Apollo launches.

If you're going to make a movie tied to history you don't get to rewrite it and declare "diplomatic immunity" because its not a documentary.

There's a reason it bombed in the box office and it wasn't because the Atmos sound track lacked bass.

Yeah I've seen too many negatives on this one and some I definitely agree with that I won't be posting here. Gonna pass on this one.
Brian-HD likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #37 of 100 Old 01-13-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post

Greetings,

Agreed. My fingers were on autopilot there. Corrected..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #38 of 100 Old 01-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I loved this movie other than it was a bit long in the middle kind of dragged a little but damn the rocket scenes where insane.. Superb.. Extremely realistic..
post #39 of 100 Old 01-13-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 4814
I will probably still get this despite the lack of bass. Some of those launch scenes etc could really benefit from a healthy dose of bass, and according to the ultimate bass and beq threads the content is there, just omitted.
Why must they do that, so annoying.
I'll have to learn beq so I can really enjoy this
post #40 of 100 Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
will watch this someday too, but only to see Claire
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #41 of 100 Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
The scenes on the moon (which was the only time I noticed the screen open up to full IMAX height) were a real treat, what with the stunning detail, careful framing, slow camera movement and wide shots. But they're also jarringly different from the rest of the movie, which is grainy hand-held shaky-cam, with lots of extreme closer ups (chins & foreheads cut off). I get what they were trying to do with the shooting style and it worked (the movie really does look like it was made in the '60s, using 16mm cameras to document personal moments of the main characters).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Ugh. When will Hollywood get over this gimmick that everybody hates with a passion?

I saw this on the last day of its IMAX run in my hometown. The flight scenes on that big screen made you feel like you were being pulled out of your seat. The lunar surface scene was breathtaking. But the shaky-cam in other scenes forced me to close my eyes a couple times as it was making me queasy. I saw it again in a conventional theater and of course the smaller screen lessened the impact of both the shaky-cam footage and the lunar surface sequence.

Both the cinematography and its soundtrack make it feel like this film could've been made in that period.

Also, if you like the movie, read the book that it's based on. An excellent read.

Last edited by yamato72; 01-15-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typos
post #42 of 100 Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Thanks Ralph for another great review. I bought it after seeing your review. But I saw in amazon.ca some peoples commented that there are quite a few of time shot using handheld camera which caused shaking. Is it true? Could you please clarify it? Thanks
post #43 of 100 Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
My take in the theater was that it was OK. I wasn't a huge fan of the Directors style. The alternating from documentary style framing to action shaky cam was jarring and made the film feel schizophrenic. Scenes went on overly long. I get that Gemini failure was 3 minutes in reality, but I don't necessarily need to see all 3 minutes on screen. My wife who gets motion sick certainly could have stood for less of it. I felt that scenes like this and the X-15 entries length went on long enough to deflate the tension they were meant to create.

I didn't really have any political problems with the film. I did wonder about the accuracy some of the portrayals I was shown onscreen.

Spoiler!

Last edited by jeahrens; 01-23-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #44 of 100 Old 01-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
My take in the theater was that it was OK. I wasn't a huge fan of the Directors style. The alternating from documentary style framing to action shaky cam was jarring and made the film feel schizophrenic. Scenes went on overly long. I get that Gemini failure was 3 minutes in reality, but I don't necessarily need to see all 3 minutes on screen. My wife who gets motion sick certainly could have stood for less of it. I felt that scenes like this and the X-15 entries length went on long enough to deflate the tension they were meant to create.

I didn't really have any political problems with the film. I did wonder about the accuracy some of the portrayals I was shown onscreen.

Spoiler!
The facts are usually somewhere in the middle.

Never watch an historical scripted film for historical accuracy. You're a fool if you do. Making an intriguing story is about creating dramatic tension and most everyday instances in a person's life is pretty damn boring and not interesting enough for a solid narrative.

The characters, while based on actual people, are usually fictionalized composites serving the broader scope of the screenplay's tale.
SuperFist likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 01-23-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #45 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Never watch an historical scripted film for historical accuracy. You're a fool if you do. Making an intriguing story is about creating dramatic tension and most everyday instances in a person's life is pretty damn boring and not interesting enough for a solid narrative.

The characters, while based on actual people, are usually fictionalized composites serving the broader scope of the screenplay's tale.
Oh I don't. I just found the character portrayals uneven and not particularly compelling. Again it's not a bad film. It just feels like a film that struggles to find an identity for me. As much of a space fan as my wife and I are, neither of us have a desire to revisit this one. Which is to bad, we were initially very excited to see it.

post #46 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:

There's a difference between getting a captivating movie into a 2-hour window without bogging it down with too much historical detail, and attempting to alter the historical context of the subject to fit an agenda.

On a less important scale, Bohemian Rhapsody did this, too.

Spoiler!

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #47 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

There's a difference between getting a captivating movie into a 2-hour window without bogging it down with too much historical detail, and attempting to alter the historical context of the subject to fit an agenda.

On a less important scale, Bohemian Rhapsody did this, too.

Spoiler!
How do you know that any particular artistic license, whether warranted or not or overcooked or not (always subjective), is due to an agenda on the part of a writer or writing team? Were you inside their minds when they were creating the screenplay?

post #48 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm curious if someone (or Ralph) can perform this or if Ralph can start adding this as part of his review.

But i'm curious about some recent releases where only HDR10 is on the disc, but the redemption code gives you a DV 4k transfer.
A lot of recent disney movies are like this as well.

I'm curious how the DV Vudu feed is compared to the 4k HDR10 disc.....
Why would Vudu for instance have DV and the disc not.
It can't be because of space, and if someone did go through and master it in DV there's no reason it would be only for a digital release and not on the disc.

Is the DV from streaming not really true DV but just a flag and it's really just HDR10 or is it actually true DV and how does it compare to the disc?

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
post #49 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwock5 View Post
I'm curious if someone (or Ralph) can perform this or if Ralph can start adding this as part of his review.

But i'm curious about some recent releases where only HDR10 is on the disc, but the redemption code gives you a DV 4k transfer.
A lot of recent disney movies are like this as well.

I'm curious how the DV Vudu feed is compared to the 4k HDR10 disc.....
Why would Vudu for instance have DV and the disc not.
It can't be because of space, and if someone did go through and master it in DV there's no reason it would be only for a digital release and not on the disc.

Is the DV from streaming not really true DV but just a flag and it's really just HDR10 or is it actually true DV and how does it compare to the disc?
DV for disc and DV for streaming files require two different mastering and encoding sessions.

Normally, DV for streaming is a less capable version due to the fact they must keep the video bitrates so low.

Sometimes the studio doesn't want to pay for two grading steps. Sometimes they are trying to entice you to switch to streaming and they think the words Dolby Vision would conotate a premium feature.
schwock5 likes this.

post #50 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you know that any particular artistic license, whether warranted or not or overcooked or not (always subjective), is due to an agenda on the part of a writer or writing team? Were you inside their minds when they were creating the screenplay?
Impossible to prove definitely, but how do you not show the signature moment of Neil Armstrong's career in a biopic of his life?

As Bill Kristol said, the movie was “a foolish and pernicious falsification of history.”

The director said he was trying to focus on the accomplishment of the lunar landing as that of "mankind", and chose to just show the already planted flag in the background. This French and American citizen director cast a Canadian and an Englishwoman to play the Armstrongs.

Said Ryan Gosling, "“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” adding later, "“I’m Canadian, so [I] might have cognitive bias.” For the record, I think Gosling and Foy are terrific actors, and I will still watch the movie.

They paid for it at the box office. Very few people went.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #51 of 100 Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Impossible to prove definitely, but how do you not show the signature moment of Neil Armstrong's career in a biopic of his life?

As Bill Kristol said, the movie was “a foolish and pernicious falsification of history.”

The director said he was trying to focus on the accomplishment of the lunar landing as that of "mankind", and chose to just show the already planted flag in the background. This French and American citizen director cast a Canadian and an Englishwoman to play the Armstrongs.

Said Ryan Gosling, "“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” adding later, "“I’m Canadian, so [I] might have cognitive bias.” For the record, I think Gosling and Foy are terrific actors, and I will still watch the movie.

I think you're focusing on the wrong things to get miffed about, but that's me. You don't go to the moon and risk life and limb just to plant a particular flag. It's usually a very personal situation. The accomplishment is the thing IMHO... for all mankind.... and I'm an American saying that.

post #52 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Quote:
I think you're focusing on the wrong things to get miffed about, but that's me. You don't go to the moon and risk life and limb just to plant a particular flag. It's usually a very personal situation. The accomplishment is the thing IMHO... for all mankind.... and I'm an American saying that.
Greetings,

Without letting this stray too far from the topic of the thread I would just add:

I have always viewed Neil Armstrong's "signature" moment as stepping from the Eagle onto the moon's surface, followed by his iconic statement "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". I think that pretty much sums things up.

Hope you enjoy the film Erod..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #53 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree Ralph. Though the USA was ultimately responsible for the achievement, it was a shared world experience. We weren't even aware there was an "issue" with the politics of the film until after we saw. Our problems were with the construction of the film. There are certainly pieces of it that are darn good cinema though. If you are a space nut, it's worth watching.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #54 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Without letting this stray too far from the topic of the thread I would just add:

I have always viewed Neil Armstrong's "signature" moment as stepping from the Eagle onto the moon's surface, followed by his iconic statement "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". I think that pretty much sums things up.

Hope you enjoy the film Erod..

Regards,
Yep, those two moments go hand-in-hand. Today's effects technology offer such an awesome opportunity to highlight those moments like we've only imagined.

I do look forward to the watch.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #55 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
I see this film two ways and since manned space has been of interest to me since I saw the Mercury Atlas liftoff with John Glenn I know a fair amount. From the perspective of this being Neil Armstrong's life and portrayed him pretty well it failed miserably IMO. I have six children I hope I go before any of them yet the portrayal of Armstrong as guy who went through life mostly achieving and excelling but not actually living his own life much I feel was false. The historical record of interviews ,public appearances, films of training, all show him as a man who wasn't a great public speaker, relatively shy and generally introverted who preferred not to discuss feeling but instead the science and engineering. He was not, however, a horribly damaged, depressed ,morose guy who just couldn't get closure.

Way too much was historically wrong with the film to give it a pass if you know about those times:

1) There is nothing and I mean nothing in the historical record to indicate that his tossing the bracelet was anything but complete fabrication. This included the fact that his wife said he took no family mementos to the moon.

2) Gimbal trainer scene showing he and Ed White training in and then throwing up was not used after 1960 and only used for the first group of astronauts ,Armstrong was a member of group two or "the new nine" brought in in 1963 and never used the MASTIF.

3)Before and after liftoff we see Armstrong and Collins looking out the windows yet the boost protective cover allowed only Aldrin in the center seat to see until after the first stage was dropped and tower jettison occurred (more accurately shown in Apollo 13).

4) Armstrong was portrayed as damaged morose and depressed going through life almost entirely going through the motions with very little living it himself. He was a poor ,uncomfortable public speaker ,soft spoken and awkward in public but the portrayal of him generally in the film was not the Armstrong of reality.

5) Slayton tells Armstrong in the restroom that they wanted him to command the first moon landing ,in fact, Armstrong was designated the commander of Apollo 11 long before the decision was made by others that Apollo 11 should land first based on how well 7,8,9,and 10 had gone instead of 12,or 13 which were the expected first landing flights. Slayton did offer to switch out the LM pilot spot for Lovell if Armstrong didn't like Aldrin as the choice. So the commander and the flight number was set ..if it was going to be first or was it going to be 12,or13 was made later. Pete Conrad was more expected to be the first man than Armstrong for some time.

6)The interior of both the Gemini and Apollo spacecraft in the film looked filthy and almost corroded around switches. Lovell was quoted as saying that these were in fact single use items and each looked and smelled like a new car when you climbed in.

7)The absolute quiet experienced when the scene shows Aldrin opening the hatch did not occur of course since the sound of the PLSS was constant within the suit.

8) The footprint photo we all know and have seen in real pictures was not Armstrong's but Aldrin's.

9)The Apollo One fire shows all three just laying in their seats when, in fact, two were out of their seats; one (White) attempting to open the hatch the other looking apparently to find the fire source.

10) Armstrong getting his face torn up after bailing out of the LLTV was not true. He bit his tongue and that required no medical attention.

11) "Whitey on the Moon" wasn't released until 1970 after the first two landings but is played as Apollo 11 is preparing for flight.

I'm sorry but this is just a start.

The second way is letting go and just say this is just a movie not really meant to be true and loosely based on a guy named Neil Armstrong and his family. In that case it is a wonderful film with lots of great acting ( not Gosling unfortunately as one of them) IMO and has some fun effects etc. In that case, accepting that ,I'd recommend it.
post #56 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very well put Art. One of the big issues for me was Armstrong's portrayal. Not only did it not follow what I've seen and read about the man, it just didn't tonally work. The acting was fine for the material, but nothing in the material really engaged me as a viewer. I get that this is a docu-drama and not meant to be historically accurate, but having the lead character appearing dead inside and essentially going through the motions of one of the greatest events in recorded history did nothing to hook me. I hesitate to say it, but the film was almost boring at times. Contrast it with say Hidden Figures, a film that has NO space flight at all, yet managed to keep me engaged throughout its runtime. First Man is like a recipe where the ingredients should make a world class meal, but ultimately just turns out bland. And man did I want it to be amazing.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

post #57 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks guys. I really would prefer not to continue the discussion with respect to the film's historical accuracy. Let's move back on topic, which is to discuss the review/audio/video/general thoughts on the film.

Regards,
SuperFist likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #58 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks guys. I really would prefer not to continue the discussion with respect to the film's historical accuracy. Let's move back on topic, which is to discuss the review/audio/video/general thoughts on the film.

Regards,
Ralph,

Growing up these guys were my heroes thus very, very difficult to separate a review of the film from that with so many inaccuracies but I get it.

Art
Eric HA likes this.
post #59 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 2063
Thanks Ralph for your "par for the course" excellent review. I'm heading to Redbox in a few minutes and will be watching it tonight. I read quite a few reviews saying it was extremely BORING, but in my thinking I'd rather have a slow-paced movie with good character development than most of the "mindless drivel action movies" that we see today.

I'll weigh in later when the credits are rolling. If it is as good as I anticipate, I'll more than likely end up getting the UHD release.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #60 of 100 Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Ralph,

Growing up these guys were my heroes thus very, very difficult to separate a review of the film from that with so many inaccuracies but I get it.

Art
Greetings,

Of course, I understand that Art. Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page