First Man Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #1 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
First Man Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of First Man, a biopic/drama that looks at the life of astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 141 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Christopher Abbot, Ciaran Hinds
Directed by: Damien Chazelle
Music by: Justin Hurwitz
Written by: Josh Singer based on the book by James R. Hansen
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: January 22, 2019

"The Most Dangerous Mission in History"

Synopsis:

“First Man, the riveting story of NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong and the years 1961-1969. A visceral, first-person account, based on the book by James R. Hansen, the movie will explore the sacrifices and the cost—on Armstrong and on the nation—of one of the most dangerous missions in history.” – Universal Pictures Home entertainment

My Take:

Anyone that reads my review regularly knows my affection for dramatic films based on actual events/people. Having grown up during the Apollo era I have recollections of seeing the launches on TV although I have no specific memory of seeing the events surrounding Apollo 11’s momentous landing on the moon. Based on the book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen First Man takes a personal and inside look at the story behind the first manned mission to the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong and the decade leading to the historic flight.

Told from Neil and Janet’s perspective, the film explores the triumphs and the cost—on not only their family, but, his colleagues and, the nation itself as the events led up to one of the most dangerous missions in history. To be honest, I knew very little about Neil Armstrong’s personal life going into this film and found it to be enlightening. Having prior knowledge of what occurred has little to do with the impact this terrific human-interest story has. There were details of what transpired regarding some of the trials and tribulations associated with the Gemini missions, as well as the real-life people involved, that I was familiar with.

I appreciated the opportunity to see their early beginnings as depicted here, which provided connective tissue to their place in later historic events, some tragic and some successful. The film maintains a good balance in its quest to tell Armstrong’s personal story and pivotal role in human history. Those expecting a space adventure will leave disappointed as First Man isn’t that type of film although, there are elements of that. I felt that director Damien Chazelle expertly shaped his vision for the film both visually and emotionally. The cast is simply terrific from top to bottom. The Apollo 11 mission was simply one of the most incredible and engaging feats of our time. First Man tells the story of its commander from a personal perspective that I found truly gratifying and moving. Well done.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some thematic content involving peril and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

First Man comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

First Man was derived from film-based sources, rendered on a 2K DI and upconverted to 4K.

This video presentation utilizes two different aspect ratios, 2.39:1 and 1.90:1, to incorporate the sequences that were shot using IMAX cameras. Both have been integrated here, with the majority of the film using the wider aspect and the lunar sequences in the finale using the other. The result doesn’t infringe upon fidelity or interrupt the visual flow of the movie in any way.

This is an excellent Ultra HD presentation that looks great on my large screen. This is a drama/biopic, set in the past, that features elements that make use of rich, earth toned colors, boldly applied contrast, and a distinctive visual aesthetic. First Man utilizes differing film stock in order to capture the director’s intended look of specific sequences. Visually speaking, the differences in those scenes is easily discernible in terms of resolution.

The rendering of detail is excellent, as the finest minutia in the film’s variety of textures, as seen in the Armstrong home, in the landscapes, on instrument panels, or on the moon, are reproduced with stark realism. Generally speaking, there is a discernible increase in detail and emboldened highlights that allows the UHD image to appear noticeably detailed and vivid when compared to the 1080p version. The IMAX shots that take place on the moon are breathtaking.

The sequences taking place around NASA, the exterior shots of the Armstrong home in Houston or the wide-angle perspectives of the various testing grounds for flight equipment, show off the video’s superb combination of color and fidelity. The use of sepia is beautifully reproduced, while whites and grays appear gradational and vibrant. The wide color gamut and crisp, bright, imagery, enrich the sense of realism when looking at differing environs, whether lit by natural or artificial lighting.

The film incorporates a host of scenes that take place at night or, in dark environs. I found a few of them to suffer from slightly crushed shadow detail but, not to detrimental levels. I didn’t find that high dynamic range played an integral role in this presentation but, there were moments where it complimented the imagery in a defining way.

This Ultra HD presentation is marvelous, adding a lustrous visual element to the experience of watching First Man.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for First Man, I found the HDR to be close, but felt that the DV rendering edged out the HDR-10. Much of this came when comparing the same scenes, and finding that the rendering of color was not only slightly deeper, but seemingly more delineated. This film uses a varied chromatic palette and I felt that it shone brighter via Dolby Vision. I also felt that the rendering of gradations in shadow detail was smoother in Dolby Vision. While these elements were noticeable neither proved defining. In general both the HDR-10 and DV renderings looked terrific.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderate variety that focused on thematic atmosphere. Its use of audio objects placed above is comprised of a mix of ambience, panning fills and occasional discrete effects. This is done well when implemented and creates an appreciable level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. The music score is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. I must to admit to wishing for deeper use of the overhead channels especially during the scenes that take place within the confines of the command modules. Chapter 7 and 8 seem picture perfect for providing a sense of all-encompassing immersion. Be that as it may, I didn’t find myself taken out of that sequence in any way.

While this mix doesn’t make constant use of attention-grabbing audio object placement, I found myself completely involved when it mattered and found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that absolutely complimented the source material.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

First Man comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/True HD 7.1 channel sound.

This film looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent video quality that exhibits high level detail, stable sharpness and revealing definition. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. When called for, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the spectrum of secondary hues. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives brightly lit scenes without whitewashing detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which emboldens sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure that enhances depth perception. This is a solid presentation that looked terrific on my big screen.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD (Atmos core) surround mix does a great job presenting the track’s recorded elements. This soundtrack runs the gamut between passages of spoken dialog and music to engaging sequences that deliver enriching surround sound. Dialog rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Dynamic range is excellent as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior clarity and palpable bass. Clarity is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Surround use achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving as effects are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: First Man Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: First Man Blu-ray
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Shooting for the Moon – Take an intimate look at the production of FIRST MAN and the collaborative relationship between Director Damien Chazelle and Ryan Gosling.
    • Preparing to Launch – It’s difficult to believe that FIRST MAN is the first major feature film to tell the journey to Apollo 11. Hear from Director Damien Chazelle and his cast why now is the time to tell the story of this historic event.
    • Giant Leap in One Small Step – A heroic character study, FIRST MAN sheds light on all the hard working individuals that got us to the moon and back.
    • Mission Gone Wrong – Watch as Ryan Gosling reenacts a test piloting sequence gone terribly wrong. Go behind the scenes to see how he trained to nail the landing, performing the majority of his own stunts.
    • Putting You In the Seat – Through the use of innovative technology, most of FIRST MAN was shot in-camera. Take an in-depth look behind the lens of this epic film.
    • Recreating the Moon Landing – Filmed in IMAX to show the vastness of the moon, find out all that it took to recreate the most famous moment in NASA history.
    • Shooting at NASA – Hear from Ryan Gosling and Director Damien Chazelle on how shooting at NASA brought unparalleled authenticity to FIRST MAN.
    • Astronaut Training – Go behind the scenes of the three day boot camp each of the actors underwent prior to filming FIRST MAN.
    • Feature Commentary with Director Damien Chazelle, Screenwriter Josh Singer and Editor Tom Cross
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen First Man takes a personal and inside look at the story behind the first manned mission to the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong and the decade leading to the historic flight. I found it to be an enlightening and engaging biopic/drama that rose to the level of its poignant subject matter. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack featuring an excellent Ultra HD video rendering (which includes Dolby Vision HDR) that makes the most of the source material, solid high definition video, engaging lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and a worthwhile supplemental package. First Man is a keeper and comes highly recommended for fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-13-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Thanks for the review Ralph. Look forward to seeing this at home. Didn't ge the chance to see it when it was out in theatre.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #3 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Is the bass completely neutered like the streaming release?
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by richardsim7; 01-09-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Yes, thanks Ralph. My wife and I also have an interest in dramatizations based upon actual events. This one sounds like it was well done. I also missed it in the theater and look forward to watching at home.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #5 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Is the bass completely neutered like the streaming release?
Greetings,

It's far from infrasonic. I didn't feel as though the response was disproportionate given the transpiring events but, I did find myself wishing for something deeper on one or two occasions. Overall the audio presentation didn't leave me disappointed. YMMV.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks Ralph, I was wondering about this movie presentation...based on your review I will digitally purchase it via iTunes.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Ralph Potts likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.3.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: F/L/SBR/SBL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SL/SR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Def Tech ProMon 1000 (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"
post #7 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
The IMAX shots that take place on the moon are breathtaking.
Agreed! Saw this in an IMAX theatre during its theatrical run. The scenes on the moon (which was the only time I noticed the screen open up to full IMAX height) were a real treat, what with the stunning detail, careful framing, slow camera movement and wide shots. But they're also jarringly different from the rest of the movie, which is grainy hand-held shaky-cam, with lots of extreme closer ups (chins & foreheads cut off). I get what they were trying to do with the shooting style and it worked (the movie really does look like it was made in the '60s, using 16mm cameras to document personal moments of the main characters).
Quote:
While this mix doesn’t make constant use of attention-grabbing audio object placement, I found myself completely involved when it mattered and found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that absolutely complimented the source material.
Watch the end titles again: before they finish you can hear radio chatter in the background that is panned around the room (makes a complete circle). This dialogue is a good way to check speaker-to-speaker consistency in your set-up.

Sanjay
post #8 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Agreed! Saw this in an IMAX theatre during its theatrical run. The scenes on the moon (which was the only time I noticed the screen open up to full IMAX height) were a real treat, what with the stunning detail, careful framing, slow camera movement and wide shots. But they're also jarringly different from the rest of the movie, which is grainy hand-held shaky-cam, with lots of extreme closer ups (chins & foreheads cut off). I get what they were trying to do with the shooting style and it worked (the movie really does look like it was made in the '60s, using 16mm cameras to document personal moments of the main characters). Watch the end titles again: before they finish you can hear radio chatter in the background that is panned around the room (makes a complete circle). This dialogue is a good way to check speaker-to-speaker consistency in your set-up.
Ugh. When will Hollywood get over this gimmick that everybody hates with a passion?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #9 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
I liked the film although the pacing was a bit slow for my tastes. For me, the best thing about the movie was Claire Foy. Her performance as Armstrong's conflicted wife was outstanding.

Someone may have mentioned this somewhere but I highly recommend the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon. Its episode on the Apollo 11 mission is excellent although Buzz Aldren gets a somewhat unflattering portrayal by Brian Cranston. He's seen as very ambitious and a little over-zealous in his efforts to be the "First Man".

Last edited by Cal1981; 01-09-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #10 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 163
^^^^^ I hear Buzz was quite the ladies man. He would often tell them 'Neil before me'. Ha! Thanks Ralph. Ordered.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #11 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Ugh. When will Hollywood get over this gimmick that everybody hates with a passion?
Your beef is with directors not Hollywood, hand held camera style has been embraced by them. It's here for a few more years.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #12 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I really like true stories but unfortunately, this movie failed to depict some events. You can't readjust history.
Shane661, Summa and ferbal like this.
post #13 of 100 Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Yes, thanks Ralph. My wife and I also have an interest in dramatizations based upon actual events. This one sounds like it was well done. I also missed it in the theater and look forward to watching at home.
interest in dramatizations based upon actual events

I see what you did there

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #14 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
For all the hype this was one of the biggest box office dud in 2018.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Mike Butny likes this.
post #15 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Ralph, how do you get these moves so early? Really looking forward to seeing this. In the third paragraph of your review, you wrote: "Told from Neil and wide Janet’s perspective." Is that a typo? Methinks it is!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Another blind buy. I feel like January and February are filled with movies that I did not make time to see in the theaters.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #17 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post
I really like true stories but unfortunately, this movie failed to depict some events. You can't readjust history.
When you intentionally omit the American Flag from the flag-planting scene because "many nations were responsible for this accomplishment", you've just lost most of your audience who love movies like these. They immediately know they're going to get a stilted version of events, and are not going to reward that with their time or money.

If it wasn't for that, choosing a Canadian man and an English woman to play these very American roles wouldn't have mattered. But combined, it just looks like a political propaganda film.

I look forward to seeing it and judging for myself.
Mike Butny, edved1 and Kini62 like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #18 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
When you intentionally omit the American Flag from the flag-planting scene because "many nations were responsible for this accomplishment", you've just lost most of your audience who love movies like these. They immediately know they're going to get a stilted version of events, and are not going to reward that with their time or money.

If it wasn't for that, choosing a Canadian man and an English woman to play these very American roles wouldn't have mattered. But combined, it just looks like a political propaganda film.

Greetings,

I would say that you should see it for yourself and decide then. There isn't a lot of time spent on the moon landing scene but, there is a moment that intentionally harkens back to early events in the film, which is the focus of the sequence. There is a wide-angle shot of the Eagle with the American Flag planted nearby. You'll have to judge for yourself.

Regards,
tenthplanet and yamato72 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

I would say that you should see it for yourself and decide then. There isn't a lot of time spent on the moon landing scene but, there is a moment that intentionally harkens back to early events in the film, which is the focus of the sequence. There is a wide-angle shot of the Eagle with the American Flag planted nearby. You'll have to judge for yourself.

Regards,
I look forward to it, Ralph. I will definitely see it. I really like the actors in it and the subject matter.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

post #20 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv316 View Post
For all the hype this was one of the biggest box office dud in 2018.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Just because it did not do well at the box office does not make it a bad movie at all. As Ralph said, I think I lot of people were expecting it to be a space adventure movie (e.g., Apollo 13) and it was more a character study like the difference between Darkest Hour (character study on Churchill around the time of the Dunkirk decision) and Dunkirk that focused on the actual events in a more dramatic fashion. An excellent sci-fi movie, Moon, that came out a decade ago was a box office "dud" but an excellent movie none the less.

Everyone has their own taste in movies and that is fine. But box office success is not always a good measure of how good a movie is (e.g., Transformers movies). As Ralph and I seem to have similar interests and tastes in film, I found his review spot on. I saw First Man at an IMAX theater specifically to see the lunar scenes and I was impressed with the overall film.
Ralph Potts and edved1 like this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #21 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,

I agree. Do not go just by what you have heard others say about the film (many of whom are talking about the flag "controversy" have not seen the film either), but judge for yourself. My dad is a 24 year Navy veteran and I am a big fan of NASA and the space program in general. I found First Man focused heavily on the space race with the Soviet Union impacting decisions and did not find the movie unpatriotic in any way. It is mainly a biopic of Armstrong, but the rest of it celebrates the courage and technical chops it took for the U.S. to get to the moon first.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #22 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

There's a great shot, one of my favorites in the film, when Armstrong is going up an elevator to the top of the rocket and you see the American flag and "United States of America" go by. I'm not sure if it will work on the small screen, but that moment was great in the theater.

My other favorite moments are the test flights when it seems like the airplane is about to break apart. The movie will never take the place of "The Right Stuff", but it has some great moments.
post #23 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairsonfire View Post
Ralph, how do you get these moves so early? Really looking forward to seeing this. In the third paragraph of your review, you wrote: "Told from Neil and wide Janet’s perspective." Is that a typo? Methinks it is!
Greetings,

You are sooo right! Pretty funny when I went back and read it. Thanks for catching that.

Regards,
tenthplanet and Hairsonfire like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
There's a great shot, one of my favorites in the film, when Armstrong is going up an elevator to the top of the rocket and you see the American flag and "United States of America" go by. I'm not sure if it will work on the small screen, but that moment was great in the theater.

My other favorite moments are the test flights when it seems like the airplane is about to break apart. The movie will never take the place of "The Right Stuff", but it has some great moments.
Cool, thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Doesn't look like a "need to own" based on Ralph's technical review of the PQ and SQ, but I'm a sucker for these types of movies.
Ralph Potts, meli and tenthplanet like this.

post #25 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
I refused to pay for it, but I saw it. History is there for a reason, good and bad. Readjusting it is telling a different story.
post #26 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
I refused to pay for it, but I saw it. History is there for a reason, good and bad. Readjusting it is telling a different story.
Greetings,

Thanks Brian. I am not sure I understand your point as this film isn't meant to be a documentary but, a dramatization based upon a novel about Armstrong's life. What readjustment are you referring to?

Spoiler!

It isn't my intention to derail this thread with a debate about the opinion that it somehow circumvents historical accuracy or significance but, I wanted to respond to your post.

Regards,
edved1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks Brian. I am not sure I understand your point as this film isn't meant to be a documentary but, a dramatization based upon a novel about Armstrong's life. What readjustment are you referring to?

Spoiler!

It isn't my intention to derail this thread with a debate about the opinion that it somehow circumvents historical accuracy or significance but, I wanted to respond to your post.

Regards,
Sorry, but I don't want to derail the thread too. There are certain big moments even in a movie should be part of the story if based on true events as stated. For example, Zero Dark 30, imagine the helicopter crashing into the wall was not part of the movie. It depicted the challenges that the seals faced. This is my final post in the thread. I look forward to reading your next review.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #28 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Looking forward to it on the home rig.

I had a Kidney Stone attack at the movies, right after the crazy-ass X15 ride in the beginning.
Ralph Potts likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #29 of 100 Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
It’s not a documentary. This is a dramatization. I guess that can be a hard concept.
Robert Clark likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 01-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #30 of 100 Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I watched this movie at my local IMAX (dual laser tech, not 15/70mm) and sitting on the 7th row (8th = sweetspot, 9th is better than 7th) and the picture quality for the majority of the movie looked pretty bad. I've only ever said this before with MI: Fallout. The image was muddy, murky and grainy. Looked like it was shot on cameras used in the 50s. A Stylistic choice I suppose since this was a period film set in the 1960s...

However I remember reading that certain lunar landings where filmed in IMAX 15/70mm... Using the same IMAX MSM9802 15/70mm camera that Nolan used in Dunkirk, Interstellar and The Dark Knight (+Rises). I sat eagerly waiting for these scenes to appear and kept thinking "was that it?" "Is this IMAX 15/70m?" "Now?!" but when they finally did land on the moon and the ratio filled out the entire screen my draw just dropped to floor. Hooooly crap that picture quality was amazing. It was like they jammed a billion pixels in those frames. Stunning.

I really don't understand why more film directors don't use the IMAX MSM9802. Dunkirk, Interstellar, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and now the First man.

There's just NOTHING that comes close to it. Even though the dual 4K lasers are (8.8MP) or my 4K OLED are no where near IMAX 15/70mm supposed 1.44:1 ≈ 18K (± 220mp) whenever I see shots transition from regular 35mm/65mm or 2K/4k(even 8K!) cameras its like taking off glasses (or a near blind person putting on glasses I suppose) and looking out of a window to a new reality. Mesmerising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page