Once Upon a Deadpool Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By Franin
  • 1 Post By Mattopotamus
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By TravisPNW
  • 3 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By Suntan

post #1 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5850
Once Upon a Deadpool Blu-ray Review

Everyone’s favorite disreputable Super Hero returns in Once Upon a Deadpool, a twist on Deadpool 2 that the whole gang can enjoy.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Zazie Beetz, Morena Baccarin, Julian Dennison, Jack Kesy, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, Eddie Marsan
Directed by: David Leitch
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Ryan Reynolds
Region Code: A

Release Date: January 15, 2019

"A Fairy-Tale Twist The Whole Gang Can Enjoy"

Synopsis:

“From the studio that brought you Anastasia and Ever After comes a fairy tale that doesn’t go by the book. Everyone’s favorite disreputable Super Hero returns with a twist on Deadpool 2 that the whole gang can enjoy. Watch Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) as he teams up with Domino (Zazie Beetz), Cable (Josh Brolin) and the rest of the X-Force to prove that family is not an F-word. With over 20 minutes of new footage and jam-packed with surprises, you’ll wonder why the fudge they even bothered with the original version.” – 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

My Take:

I reviewed Deadpool 2 when it was released on Blu-ray. This review will contain my comments from that review followed by my thoughts on this PG-13 rated version which retains the primary elements from the original story while adding and subtracting a bit of footage. My ratings for the audio/video are the same as they are identical to the original release. There are no bonus features included here.

I am going to begin this review with some of my opening comments from my review of Deadpool as they apply to Deadpool 2.

"I knew little about the character of Deadpool prior to first getting a glimpse of him in the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My son is familiar, and a fan, so when Deadpool was announced, and hit theaters, we were there opening weekend. There is no need to wax poetic about the plot or Deadpool's place in the Marvel Universe. As we have all been exposed now to a plethora of big screen incarnations of comic book characters brought to life. I think that Hollywood has been doing a pretty good job of late in that regard andDeadpool is no exception. Unabashedly crass, blissfully unconventional, and just downright loads of fun, Deadpool had me from the opening credits, and held on through to the end."

Needless to say, I took in Deadpool 2 on opening weekend and yeah, it’s a fun ride, beginning with the opening, right on through to the finale. Josh Brolin’s “Cable” is a scene stealer, not just for his straight man to Deadpool’s nonstop commentary but, for his great gadgets and spot on crusty cool guy, with a soft underbelly. I think I enjoyed the storyline in Deadpool a bit more but, there is much to like here as Ryan Reynolds treats us to his own particular way of unleashing Deadpool’s vernacular. I really liked Zazie Beetz’s in the role of Domino. She was the perfect blend of capable, cool and sexy.

The action is of the hand-to-hand, small-caliber weapons variety with some elements of big titan flash. Likes its predecessor, what makes Deadpool 2 so entertaining is the infusion of oodles of dialog that comes in the form of quips, one liners, references, and seemingly off-the-cuff remarks, that seem a perfect situational fit. Of course, it should be noted that Deadpool isn't the everyman's superhero, and purposefully so. His perspectives are skewed according to his scale, and his idea of justice is pretty left of center when compared to the typical hero archetypes we are accustomed to. At the end of the day that's fine by me, as I found his cheeky nature, incorrigible brashness, and over the top style to be refreshing.

As I noted with Deadpool and now with Deadpool 2, it isn't for everyone, but I reveled in its excellent production elements, eclectic take on the genre, and entertaining execution by the filmmakers and cast. This second go ‘round was every bit as fun as the first and I look forward seeing more of this character.

This Super Duper Cut of Deadpool 2 includes the Theatrical version and the 14 minute longer Unrated Cut which is a nice touch, especially for fans that can’t get enough of Deadpool’s schtick.

I wasn’t really certain that I felt that Once Upon a Deadpool was necessary or worse would bear fruit for those of us that enjoy all that makes the Deadpool films fun to watch. Well, I have to say that this was a good time as well. This incorporates quite a bit of new footage, most of it coming with the inclusion of Fred Savage, who Deadpool sits and reads Once Upon a Deadpool to. Additionally, there is some sequences here that weren’t in the initial versions and, some of the more racy/crass scenes have been omitted/bleeped/blurred out. I didn’t find that it detracted in any way from my enjoyment of the story. I loved the banter between ‘Pool’ and Fred Savage which is spot on. Once Upon a Deadpool makes for a nice companion to the Deadpool films and is worth considering for fans.

Not only does Once Upon a Deadpool help you deliver on that pesky New Year’s Resolution to spend more time with your family, you can also feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will be donating $1 from every Blu-ray Purchase or Digital Buy or Rent from January 1 to January 28, 2019 to Fudge Cancer (US only. Minimum donation of $100,000). Fox also donated $1 for each ticket purchased during the film’s festive theatrical release.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence and action, language, sexual content, thematic material, and brief drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Once Upon a Deadpool comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise.

The DTS 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack is sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel. Channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be spot on.

The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds contained in this demanding soundtrack. At times the listening position is bombarded with a combination of discretely placed near field and panning sound effects. The battle sequence at the prison followed by the extended convoy chase and engagement during the finale sound terrific as low frequency effects are applied with authority and occasionally provide room shuddering bass. This is an involving and noteworthy audio presentation that is guaranteed to give your system a workout.

Bonus Features:
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Much like its predecessor Deadpool 2 is an entertaining, albeit road less traveled, genre entry that is blissfully unconventional, and just downright loads of fun. Once Upon a Deadpool makes for a nice companion to the Deadpool films and adds an entertaining element that I thoroughly enjoyed. This new release contains the same top-notch high definition audio/video as the original release and sounds terrific on Blu-ray. A bonus DVD and Digital Copy are included. Once Upon a Deadpool is worth considering for series fans and has found a home in my video library.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Thanks for reviewing this Ralph.I too was curious how much more this version would bring to the table. Having really loved Deadpool and Deadpool 2 I think I will pick this up but wait until it goes down a bit in price. Thanks again!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #3 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Fred Savage? He played the sick kid whose grandfather (Peter Falk) read The Princess Bride to in the film. I haven't seen Once Upon a Deadpool, but I'd place a small (5¢) bet that it's not a coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Ralph, is this a new movie with a new script and story or is it just a re-hash of Deadpool 1 and 2 ?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Thanks for the review Ralph. What we needed now is a value pack of this and Deadpool 2.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 13 Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Ill Pass Ralph. Thanks anyway mate
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Ralph, is this a new movie with a new script and story or is it just a re-hash of Deadpool 1 and 2 ?
Based on the fact he used his Deadpool 2 review, I think it’s the same movie rated PG-13 and with a few different scenes. I wasn’t a huge fan of Deadpool, but Deadpool 2 was hilarious IMO.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Based on the fact he used his Deadpool 2 review, I think it’s the same movie rated PG-13 and with a few different scenes. I wasn’t a huge fan of Deadpool, but Deadpool 2 was hilarious IMO.
Greetings,

Matt is correct Jeff..

Regards,
JeffR1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Thanks for reviewing this Ralph.I too was curious how much more this version would bring to the table. Having really loved Deadpool and Deadpool 2 I think I will pick this up but wait until it goes down a bit in price. Thanks again!

$15 right now at the big river... can't really beat that for a new release.

Thanks for the review Ralph! I'll be adding this one to the collection next to the other Deadpool films!

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph! I'll be adding this one to the collection next to the other Deadpool films!
Oh nice thanks pal.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #11 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
OK, thanks, I'll save it for a weekday.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post

Oh that big river, took a moment for it to register.
TravisPNW likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #13 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Really just wanted a take on whether or not it is worth re-watching if you've already seen the R rated version, and that's exactly what you've given me. Thanks Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page