Goosebumps 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Reddig

post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
Goosebumps 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews Goosebumps 2, the second installment of the family-friendly film franchise based on R.L. Stine’s beloved book series.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Wendi McLendon-Covey, Madison Iseman, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Caleel Harris, Chris Parnell, Ken Jeong
Directed by: Ari Sandel
Music by: Dominic Lewis
Written by: Rob Lieber
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: January 15, 2019

"Halloween Comes to Life"

Synopsis:

“Be careful what you wish for. With their after-school junk business, best friends Sonny and Sam hope to find treasure in other people’s trash. But when cleaning out the old Stine house, they open a locked book that frees a supernatural nightmare- Slappy! Now, with the help of Sonny’s sister Sarah, they’re in a race against time to get the sinister dummy and all the creatures he’s brought to life back into the pages before he unleashes total pandemonium!” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

I think my kids read the Goosebumps books when they were young and I enjoyed the first film Goosebumps. I saw the trailer for Goosebumps 2 and it didn’t look very enticing. Regardless, I like fantasy and family friendly films so I tried to go into my review with an open mind. The story here is pretty elementary (as it should be, I suppose), and begins with best friends Sonny and Sam running across a hidden book by R.L. Stine, while collecting junk for their side business.

They inadvertently unleash Slappy, the devious ventriloquist dummy. Seeking to become of a family, Slappy goes on a mischievous crusade and brings all of his ghoulish friends back to life -- just in time for Halloween. As the sleepy town becomes overrun with monsters, witches and other mysterious creatures, Sonny, Sam, his sister Sarah, and neighbor Mr. Chu join forces to foil Slappy's plan. Goosebumps 2 has a more fast-food narrative than its predecessor and lacks the character base, well-timed humor and plot points to make for film that has broader appeal.

I think that younger viewers will be just fine with its surface level elements and one note humor. I never found myself engaged by it and felt at times, that its 90-minute run time was longer than that. I did like the three primary members of the cast but, thought that the adults, played by Wendi McLendon-Covey, Chris Parnell, and Ken Jeong made me cringe every time they appeared onscreen.

Goosebumps 2 when compared to its predecessor is more or less a swing and miss. Looking at it on its own, its passable, especially for young viewers that enjoy its Halloween based theme.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for scary creature action and images, some thematic elements, rude humor and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Goosebumps 2 comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Goosebumps 2 was rendered from 3.4K/2.8K sources and finished on a 2K DI. This is a fantasy-based film that is essentially boldly colorful throughout, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version.

Primary colors are pleasingly rich while whites appear punchy and vibrant. The spectrum of secondary colors pop quite nicely as well. The first sequence that takes place at the drug store provides a glimpse of what is to come, but it’s the scenes at the school and later, on Halloween night, that offers the bonus that the presentation’s wide color gamut has to offer.

I also enjoyed the implementation of HDR. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows during the low-level scenes is immediately noticeable. Where called for the cinematography makes use of shadows, streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well, drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. The blend of shadow detail/depth of field offset by the presence of light at varying levels, looked very natural, and when applied, brilliant light caused me to blink/squint in reaction to it.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. The exterior sequences and CGI featured in the film have appreciable depth which has an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic. The difference between viewing Goosebumps 2 in high definition and Ultra HD isn't vast but, there is no question that it benefitted from the increase in resolution, emboldened color and high dynamic range treatment.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is falling from above, moving through the room, or emanating from a specific location. While this is not what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix, it is an active one, that complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Goosebumps 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

Colors are effectively used in this film to help set the tone based upon the mood of the scene. The chroma range is broad and hues can vary from being sullen and inanimate to warm and inviting. Skin tones are beautifully rendered with natural highlights and descriptive variation. Images onscreen are exquisitely detailed and sharp with superb depth of field and visible texture during wide angle shots. Contrast is spot on and blacks are deep with revealing delineation that provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. The video has a pristine quality that is free of video related artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action-based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and thought that it complimented the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Goosebumps 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Goosebumps 2 Blu-ray
    • Gag Reel
    • Three Deleted Scenes:
    • Five Featurettes
    o “Thrills & Chills – The Making of Goosebumps 2”
    o “Meet The Monsters”
    o “Science With Slappy”
    o “Junk Brothers – Call Now”
    o “Slappy's Audition”
    • Three Slappy-Oke Sing Alongs
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Goosebumps 2 doesn’t have the broader audience appeal of its predecessor thanks to a lackluster script and meandering direction. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall image and sound quality mated with a fair supplemental package. Goosebumps 2 is mildly entertaining, on an elementary level, and it best left as a rental for the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
gonzalc3 and Reddig like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-19-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 478
best left as a rental for the kinds on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

I live in So. Calif and it never rains on a Saturday in Calif. Therefore, it looks like it won't even be a rental for me.

Thanks Ralph

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I rented this from Netflix and found myself fully entertained for the 90 minutes. Only disappointment was there was no Dolby Atmos on the standard blu-ray. The sound was still good just thought it would of been cool to hear the mischief overhead. Every time the mom came on it reminded me of her character Beverly Goldberg on the Goldbergs. I plan on adding this movie via UHD Blu-ray to my collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Thanks for the review Ralph. I liked the first one a lot and decided to buy this one sigh unseen. Im glad I did as I really enjoyed it. Im a kid at heart so that helped lol and I enjoyed the audio and picture quality as well. A good rental for those with kids.
JeffR1 and Ralph Potts like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I rented this from Netflix and found myself fully entertained for the 90 minutes. Only disappointment was there was no Dolby Atmos on the standard blu-ray. The sound was still good just thought it would of been cool to hear the mischief overhead. Every time the mom came on it reminded me of her character Beverly Goldberg on the Goldbergs. I plan on adding this movie via UHD Blu-ray to my collection.

Everytime I see her I'm reminded of her character on Reno 911.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Everytime I see her I'm reminded of her character on Reno 911.
LOL same here!!

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #7 of 7 Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Very confused about some of the story early on. Particularly the sister going to the club LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page