A Star is Born Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6125
A Star is Born Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews A Star is Born, a new take on the iconic love story about a seasoned musician Jackson Maine, who discovers and falls in love with struggling artist Ally. She has given up on her dream to become a successful singer until she meets Jack, who immediately sees her natural talent.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 136 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Chappelle, Anthony Ramos, Rafi Gavron
Directed by: Bradley Cooper
Music by: Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper
Written by: Bradley Cooper, Eric Roth, Will Fetters
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 19, 2019

"We’re Far From the Shallows Now…."

Synopsis:

In this new take on the iconic love story, four-time Oscar nominee Cooper (“American Sniper,” “American Hustle,” “Silver Linings Playbook”) makes his directorial debut, and also stars alongside multiple award-winning, Oscar-nominated music superstar Gaga in her first leading role in a major motion picture. Cooper and Gaga fuse their considerable talents to depict the raw and passionate tale of Jack and Ally, two artistic souls coming together on stage and in life.

My Take:

Seasoned musician Jackson Maine discovers -- and falls in love with -- struggling artist Ally. She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer until Jackson coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally's career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jackson fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.

So, there are four films that tell this story. The first was in the 1930s, the second, in the 1950s, the third in the 1970s and now this latest one. I have only seen the 1976 version, starring Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand and this one. I must confess, I had never seen the ’76 version in its entirety until AFTER seeing this one, which prompted me to have a look. I honestly didn’t much care for it, despite the fact that this film is more or less based on that version. I think much of that is owed to not finding Kris Kristofferson's performance both as an actor and singer to be in the same league as what I saw from Bradley Cooper.

Anyway, I saw A Star is Born when it was released in theaters and absolutely loved it. My wife was the impetus for me seeing it at the time as frankly, I wasn’t all that interested, given that I recalled not having much interest in the ’76 version. This was a much better experience. The storyline is essentially the same but, with an updated narrative, new songs and three fantastic performances from Cooper, Gaga, and my man Sam Elliott. A Star is Born is a moving drama that touches upon relevant themes about family, addiction, love and loss.

I found that it grabs you almost right from the onset and holds on right through to the credits. The original music, as performed by Cooper and Gaga is simply marvelous, playing a essential role in the proceedings. The pacing, cinematography and Cooper's wonderful direction underscore the film’s thematic tone. As I sat and took it in for the second time, I once again found myself lost in its cautionary tale, enriching drama and melodious charm. A Star is Born is among my favorite films of 2018 and is justly deserving of the accolades bestowed upon it.

A Star is Born recently received five Golden Globe nominations, including Best Motion Picture – Drama; Best Director – Motion Picture, Bradley Cooper; Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama, Lady Gaga; Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, Bradley Cooper; and Best Original Song in a Motion Picture, “Shallow.” The film also received three awards from the National Board of Review, including Best Director Bradley Cooper, Best Actress Lady Gaga, and Best Supporting Actor Sam Elliott, as well as four Grammy Award nominations for “Shallow” for Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, and Best Song Written For Visual Media.

Replay Value: 5 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, some sexuality/nudity and substance abuse.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 98

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

A Star is Born comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD A Star is Born was derived from a 2.8K/3.4K sources, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K. The 1080p transfer for this film looks great and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, emboldened contrast, and a noticeably sharper image. The film utilizes a variety of environs that use both natural and artificial lighting that combines light/dark elements, that simply look terrific.

Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue, red, and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated. During interior sequences whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, particularly during the concert sequences in darkened venues, where shadows mixed with light looked very natural. The sun splashed exterior sequences looked fantastic.

Resolution received a boost although the differences between the UHD and 1080p renderings aren’t quite night and day. Close-ups tend to look amazing, with resolvable texture visible in the various interior/exterior sets, physical features, and backgrounds being quite obvious. Having seen this film’s theatrical presentation, I believe that what we are seeing is a faithful rendering of the film’s elements. A Star is Born in Ultra HD presents extremely well and is the best way to experience the film on home video.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for A Star is Born, I found the HDR renderings to be very close. Each presented similarly in terms of color rendering, but I did take a close look at contrast, and delineation, during scenes containing dark and bright elements. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, I felt that the DV presentation revealed slightly better interstitials in the darkest portions of the image, resulting in better definition. The differences aren’t especially noteworthy, but in the grand scheme, made for a more pleasing image. At the end of the day both looked terrific, leaving me thoroughly satisfied with what I saw.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the less aggressive variety but, considering the source material that’s not a complete surprise. Its use of audio objects placed above is limited to atmospherics and occasional panning fills. Where the Atmos presentation excelled was in the use of object- based sounds during the film’s musical set pieces, like the opening scene, and various concert sequences. In many respects the track retained the feeling of being front focused, however when called upon its ability to render acoustics, point to point imaging and expanding the breadth of the soundstage never disappointed. While this Atmos mix doesn’t make constant use of discretely placed audio objects from above, I found myself completely involved when it mattered. I found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that absolutely complimented the source material.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

A Star is Born comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video, lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a high quality and faithful video presentation that enhances the grandiose cinematic visual style employed in the film. Fidelity appears intact as colors are vividly reproduced via lustrous primaries, and rich secondary hues that look simply beautiful in high definition. The clothing/costumes have excellent tonal variation with descriptively intricate chromatic detail that collectively leap off of the screen. Fleshtone reproduction can be dependent on the particular visual scheme utilized however, in natural lighting they appear warm, and lifelike.

Blacks are dynamic, gradationally satisfying, and deep, which is accentuated by contrast that is spot on and predominantly stable over the course of the presentation. The blend during sequences containing mixed light/dark elements looks superlative. Resolution is excellent especially during close ups which reveal crisp definition and fine textural nuance. Wide angle shots exhibit estimable dimension with appreciable object detail. Softening is apparent from time to time but appears innate to the photography. A Star is Born looks terrific on Blu-ray.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel (Atmos core) and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio tracks have excellent dynamic range and detail. Dialog is articulately reproduced through the center channel and maintains a position of prominence within the front soundstage. This isn’t an aggressive surround mix but when applied the surround channels generate plenty of atmosphere and discrete sounds. Front and rear channel imaging is spot on as details and spatial cues, mate perfectly with the events transpiring onscreen. Low frequency effects are appropriately applied, and provide tangible richness to the music and live sounds. I found this to be an entertaining and complimentary audio presentation.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: A Star is Born Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: A Star is Born Blu-ray
    • Jam Sessions and Rarities
    o “Baby What You Want Me To Do”
    o “Midnight Special”
    o “Is That Alright”
    • The Road to Stardom: Making A Star is Born
    • Music Videos
    o “Shallow”
    o “Always Remember Us This Way”
    o “Look What I Found”
    o “I’ll Never Love Again”
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Given the number of remakes A Star is Born has seen it’s apparent that this is a story that filmmakers like to tell. I can’t speak with certainty to the quality of them all as I haven’t seen the two earlier versions. What I can say is that number four is a wonderful and moving drama that features sterling performances and accompanying music that underscores not only them but, the film’s thematic impact. A Star is Born comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall video and sound mated with a fair supplemental set. A Star is Born is among my favorites films of 2018 and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray/Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ahh the first movie ralph i disagree with you, thought this was a complete bore, predictable,do not like lady gaga, crap songs.
Yes bradley cooper was good and sam elliot but my prediction is this will not win any oscar's.
post #3 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZUKI67 View Post
Ahh the first movie ralph i disagree with you, thought this was a complete bore, predictable,do not like lady gaga, crap songs.
Yes bradley cooper was good and sam elliot but my prediction is this will not win any oscar's.
Greetings,

Sorry to hear that. If you don't like Lady Gaga then seeing this film would probably make little sense I suppose. Catch you on the next one..

Regards,
Jacob92175 and richardsim7 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I’m posting a potentially politically incorrect comment that will likely get deleted.

I avoided A Star is Born because I don’t find watching drunk or drugged up white people arguing with each other for two hours to be entertaining. Similarly, I once tried to watch Grey’s Anatomy and again, it was an hour of white people screaming at each other while pretending to be doctors.

I just don’t find people yelling at each other to be a fun time. I saw enough of that from my parents and others’ parents growing up (maybe this is so common in entertainment because Hollywood knows that most American families are not very happy).

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #5 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Great review Ralph and one with which I fully agree. I always respected GaGa as singer but wasn't a big fan during the early part of her career. There was bit too much kitsch for me but I understood it was her way of getting a foothold in the music business. There were two events that turned me into a big fan, her Sound of Music medley at the Oscars and her duet show with Tony Bennett. It was obvious that she was a world class vocalist with tremendous range who could handle anything thrown at her. I was, therefore, looking forward to A Star is Born and it didn't disappoint. Both Gaga and Cooper gave terrific acting and vocal performances and the catalogue of songs, many written or co-written by Gaga, was excellent. Shallow is one of the best songs that she's ever written and will certainly win an Oscar. To my mind it took guts for Gaga to strip off all of the glitz and makeup and just be who she is, Stephani Germonatta from New York City. Her face is wonderfully "ethnic" and like all great actors, her eyes tell you exactly what her character is thinking and how she feels. She's a natural and the camera loves her. Sam Elliot is, as always, excellent and his Oscar nod is long overdue. Another nod goes to Andrew Dice Clay as Ally's "I coulda been bigger than Sinatra" father. He's a good acter when a decent role comes his way. Ditto for Dave Chapelle. Sure this story has been told four times now but this is the version that may well supplant the others as the best one (well maybe not Judy Garland's). This one is a must buy for me.

Last edited by Cal1981; 02-12-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #6 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I’m posting a potentially politically incorrect comment that will likely get deleted.

I avoided A Star is Born because I don’t find watching drunk or drugged up white people arguing with each other for two hours to be entertaining. Similarly, I once tried to watch Grey’s Anatomy and again, it was an hour of white people screaming at each other while pretending to be doctors.

I just don’t find people yelling at each other to be a fun time. I saw enough of that from my parents and others’ parents growing up (maybe this is so common in entertainment because Hollywood knows that most American families are not very happy).
Greetings,

This wasn't a film such as you describe, nor is it in any way similar to Grey's Anatomy but, I understand your point as it relates to your preferences. Thanks for sharing just the same..

Regards,
richardsim7 and jherring69 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
It's a serviceable flick. Nothing too stands out except for the few hit songs. If Lady Ga Ga wasn't in it or signing the songs or Bradley Copper wasn't the leading man, this movie won't work. But it does work at the basic level which is a testament of star power.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 578
At the 72nd British Academy Film Awards held 2 days ago, commonly known as BAFTA, it also won for Best Original Music.
post #9 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I hope this isn't too far off the subject, but why isn't Atmos always the default audio track?
post #10 of 38 Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
I hope this isn't too far off the subject, but why isn't Atmos always the default audio track?
Compatibility. Some audio processors puke on it and people can't figure out why they have no audio on their TV.
edved1 likes this.
post #11 of 38 Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Ralph

You always cost me money

If it isn't, I'm not buying, then changing my mind after reading your review to...

...In this case with A Star Is Born, I had ordered in HD until I read your review. I just changed my order and re-ordered it UHD.

Ralph, once again, you cost me money.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #12 of 38 Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Thanks Ralph for great review. I can only buy one 4K now, which one is better, this one or Bohemian Rhapsody for both music, story and performance? Thanks
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 38 Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Not a huge fan of Lady Gargoyles's music but I do respect her as an artist, so I'll check it out see what's the hoopla about this film.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #14 of 38 Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Ralph

You always cost me money

If it isn't, I'm not buying, then changing my mind after reading your review to...

...In this case with A Star Is Born, I had ordered in HD until I read your review. I just changed my order and re-ordered it UHD.

Ralph, once again, you cost me money.

Sorry Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph for great review. I can only buy one 4K now, which one is better, this one or Bohemian Rhapsody for both music, story and performance? Thanks

Toss a coin Roudan. Both are good...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 38 Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I dug this movie, but think that Cooper released a "director's cut" and that it needed a more concise "theatrical cut." As he is a debut director, I understand he is going to have some flaws along the way. Being married to too many of the scenes was one of them. They could have deleted a lot of moments without destroying any impact of the film. Length/endurance can add to impact, but I think the pace lessened quite a bit.

As far as songs, some are a bit catchy (opening song was pretty cool) and I learned two of them on guitar really quickly (Shallow and Maybe It's Time) which I like plenty, though I hate pop music and I think they intentionally went with some that are like: "See, kids? This is the crap you're listening to." So for the movie's sake, I was okay with those not being great. There was another particular song that should have been more memorable, but I don't think it came to me as strong as it wanted me to like it.

I think this will eventually hit my library if Black Friday is kind enough, but I'm not an Atmos owner yet so I'm not itching to get a certain HT fix like others might be when this releases.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #16 of 38 Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6295
Seen 5 versions of this story: 4 Hollywood, 1 Bollywood (didn't see the Telegu-language remake of the Bollywood version). Not a bad one in the bunch. Guess some stories are bulletproof. Saw the latest version in a tiny shoebox theatre near work, so never got to see/hear it in its full glory. Will pick up the disc based on Ralph's review of the Atmos track. Over the years it will be interesting to see if Bradley Cooper ends up being one of those actors that is better behind the camera than in front of (Costner, Gibson, Streisand, Affleck, Eastwood, etc). He's off to a good start.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sanjay
post #17 of 38 Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

We must have watched two entirely different films...

I'm not a huge Gaga fan (wife absolutely loves her), but I'm not going to deny that she is an incredibly talented singer. While I felt like the flow wasn't always on cadence, overall I thought the movie was done beautifully with a ton character. Gaga really stepped out of her element and absolutely shined. Plus c'mon, Sam Elliot.....phenomenal actor.

Great characters, fantastic acting, and the music....loved it. Probably top 3 of my favorite movies of 2018.

Living Room-Sony 65" XBR900E, Denon X3300W, Nvidia SHIELD. 5.1.2-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE L/R, CMT-340Center, HTM-200SE Surround, RSL C34E Atmos, Sealed UM18-22 Sub.
"Micro Theater"-Optoma UHD51A, DIY 120" Spandex AT Screen, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-800X, Nvidia SHIELD. 7.2.4 - DIYSG HTM-10 LCR, RSL CG3 Surround, Micca M-8C Atmos , 2 4cuf Sealed 18-22 Ultimax.
post #18 of 38 Old 02-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So there's a difference of opinion regarding whether someone likes the movie or not. My question is, does watching it in 4K improve the experience of the movie at all? I assume that this is more of a story/character driven movie and improved visuals wouldn't add that much to the experience. If you think it's important, I'll gladly get the 4k version, otherwise I'll probably go with just the regular 1080p version.
post #19 of 38 Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
So there's a difference of opinion regarding whether someone likes the movie or not. My question is, does watching it in 4K improve the experience of the movie at all? I assume that this is more of a story/character driven movie and improved visuals wouldn't add that much to the experience. If you think it's important, I'll gladly get the 4k version, otherwise I'll probably go with just the regular 1080p version.
This film definitely has a wonderful color palette in certain scenes that ask for it, so I can see it benefiting a lot from HDR.

I can't speak much on the resolution, though. This movie might have been entirely filmed using handheld techniques, so the lack of stabilization can sometimes result in limited moments of sheer clarity.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #20 of 38 Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape of Grey View Post
We must have watched two entirely different films...

I'm not a huge Gaga fan (wife absolutely loves her), but I'm not going to deny that she is an incredibly talented singer. While I felt like the flow wasn't always on cadence, overall I thought the movie was done beautifully with a ton character. Gaga really stepped out of her element and absolutely shined. Plus c'mon, Sam Elliot.....phenomenal actor.

Great characters, fantastic acting, and the music....loved it. Probably top 3 of my favorite movies of 2018.
He didn't see it, he just wanted make some asinine anti white comment, and see who gets triggered.

On the other hand I have seen it now, and we did see two different movies it seems, as I didn't think it was all that great, especially Gaga. I have a feeling this is what she is like in real life, and didn't really need to act any other way, which of course can be a good thing because it might look natural, and comparing this to her stage antics no doubt it's a much different persona indeed. Liked the music here much better than the 1976 version and was surprised about Cooper that he could sell the stage act really well. Overall I was entertained, but not blown away by any means.
PS Poor old Andrew Dice, he traded his Ford Fairlane to some Suburbans.
Shape of Grey likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #21 of 38 Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
We chose to watch the Apple iTunes streamed version of this last night (4K/HDR/Atmos) as an experiment on how good or not so good are streamed 4K/HDR movies.

First about the movie. I find it so interesting that there are so many diverse opinions on any specific movie. We enjoyed the movie a lot, even though watching Bradley Cooper's character destroy himself was VERY difficult. And had I not heard Lady Gaga sing with Tony Bennett in a concert BluRay, I would have wanted to see the movie but she has a most excellent voice. The other thing about this movie vs the Streisand version is that in that movie, there was ZERO chemistry between Streisand and her costar (Kris Kristofferson) vs what I thought was great chemistry between Lady Gaga and Cooper. And the music was WONDERFUL. !!

And given my reaction to the quality of the image and sound from the streamed version, I will have to find an on-sale or used version of the shiny 4K disc to compare. Given, for the most part, a dialog driven movie, I found the audio more than acceptable but the image seemed to have much less pop, clarity and detail than I am used to seeing with a typical shiny disc 4K/HDR movie. In fact, many of my 1080P/SDR movies looked better than what I saw last night. Once I see the shiny disc, I will be able to compare. Going into the movie, I expected that the audio would seem more compromised than the video - but what do I know. And I could be way off. We shall see.
Ralph Potts and Shape of Grey like this.
post #22 of 38 Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ralph Potts: I purchased this sight unseen based on your review. All I can say good sir is thank you. The movie overall was incredible and whoever mixed the audio should win their own award, it was that good.

Thank you.
sdurani, Ralph Potts and pspoar like this.
post #23 of 38 Old 02-23-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900HP View Post
Ralph Potts: I purchased this sight unseen based on your review. All I can say good sir is thank you. The movie overall was incredible and whoever mixed the audio should win their own award, it was that good.

Thank you.
Greetings,

Awesome. Thanks so much 900HP. I am glad you enjoyed it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 38 Old 02-26-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. The opening scene sounds amazing. There are moments where I thought the picture was razor sharp and others where it felt like there was a hazy fog in front of the actors (intentional I'm sure). The original songs help propel the story line, and by the end of the movie I was in tears. The final 5 minutes are some of the best you can ask for in a movie.
pspoar and Ralph Potts like this.
post #25 of 38 Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
I have never been able to finish watching any of the previous iterations of this story, and I have to say this one was only barely better. A depressing story about sad people, not my idea of entertainment. Absent Gaga's singing it wouldn't be worth watching at all. Great AQ though. Viewers note: the disc defaults to 5.1 DTS-MA instead of Atmos.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 38 Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I purchased this on 4K UHD Blu-Ray and absolutely loved it. I loved the music and thought Ga Ga performance was top notch. Sad that she did not win the Oscar for best actress or the best picture. "A Star Is Born" along with "Bohemian Rhapsody" will have a lot of repeat viewings.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 38 Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 310
IMO totally overrated..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2009 Panasonic TX-P42S10E PDP
post #28 of 38 Old 02-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Well I finally bit a week late.

I didn't like the $30 price at all the major retailers... but just found a new copy for $22 on eBay so I'll add this one to the collection based entirely on the Oscar duet.

Thanks for the review Ralph! Looking forward to seeing this at home!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #29 of 38 Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Well I finally bit a week late.

I didn't like the $30 price at all the major retailers... but just found a new copy for $22 on eBay so I'll add this one to the collection based entirely on the Oscar duet.

Thanks for the review Ralph! Looking forward to seeing this at home!
I just ordered this off of ebay too. Thanks for the heads up @TravisPNW .
TravisPNW and Ralph Potts like this.

Spoiler!
post #30 of 38 Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Why only has 28 comments so far? I am thinking to decide the purchase or not based on number of comments? Black panther has more than 220 comments. Does it mean black panther will be a easier purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page