Green Book Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
I thought this was the Best Picture I saw from last year that was nominated. I haven't seen The Favourite either, but I doubt it will surpass the enjoyment I got from this film.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I'm gonna watch it tonight, while the AA don't mean much to me anymore, the fact it irritated many SJW reviewers tells me that I might like it.
I'll be back!
RagtopFE and MRAYB like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #33 of 53 Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I'm gonna watch it tonight, while the AA don't mean much to me anymore, the fact it irritated many SJW reviewers tells me that I might like it.
I'll be back!
LOL Hun. I think we think alike

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I watched this last nite, and like you Ralph and Dave I was very much entertained through out. Viggo was really good here, but so was Mahershala. One could condense this as "road trip" movie with people who are not exactly buddies at least at the beginning, but it is much more than that once the credits start to roll.I can see why the SJW parasites hated this as they live for endless divisions, but normal folks like the ones depicted here can found common ground if they really wanted work together and without banners.
Ralph Potts, RagtopFE and MRAYB like this.

The Hun
post #35 of 53 Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I watched this last nite, and like you Ralph and Dave I was very much entertained through out. Viggo was really good here, but so was Mahershala. One could condense this as "road trip" movie with people who are not exactly buddies at least at the beginning, but it is much more than that once the credits start to roll.I can see why the SJW parasites hated this as they live for endless divisions, but normal folks like the ones depicted here can found common ground if they really wanted work together and without banners.
I couldn't agree more.

Hun...are you in NorCal or SoCal?

post #36 of 53 Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6241
Quote:
I'll be back!
Quote:

Greetings,

Couldn't have said it better thehun. Glad you enjoyed this one as well and, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Regards,
thehun likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #37 of 53 Old 02-26-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Hun...are you in NorCal or SoCal?
NorCal, Sonoma Co.

The Hun
post #38 of 53 Old 02-26-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
NorCal, Sonoma Co.
We're neighbors then...I'm over in Solano County. My old sales territory included Sonoma County, so I know it quite well

post #39 of 53 Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Sounds like another to add to the library!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #40 of 53 Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Watched this on blu-ray last night. I have to say the DOP and colorist did a splendid job in isolating the characters during every frame and keeping me interested adding to Mortensen and Ali's excellent acting.
Ralph Potts and thehun like this.
post #41 of 53 Old 03-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This movie is an enjoyable watch. However, I don't think it does the subject matter of portraying the racial tension of early 60s justice. It is too feel good and sweet for the most parts.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #42 of 53 Old 03-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great 4K movie this afternoon on our 2018 LG 55-inch OLED, with the 4K disc arriving from Amazon this morning. It is now our 'demo' disc when visitors ask to see what good 4K looks and sounds like. We have a simple but good quality 5. 1 surround system in our guest bedroom/Blu-ray viewing room. And this Blu-ray looked and sounded great, with no sudden ear splitting audio levels, thank you!

-Rod
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #43 of 53 Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
This is one of those rare films that is exactly what you want it to be. Looks and sounds great, and the story stands on its own. While it may well be a low bar to clear in 2018, this really was the best picture of the year.
post #44 of 53 Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Will definitely be picking this up, thanks for review Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #45 of 53 Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Will definitely be picking this up, thanks for review Ralph

Greetings,

Sure thing Frank! Great to hear from you..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #46 of 53 Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 5225
Just used my Best Buy birthday discount to purchase this today.

Spoiler!
post #47 of 53 Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I rented this from Netflix on Blu-ray and it had Dolby Atmos. I absolutely love this movie and it was so deserving of it's best picture Academy award. The music featured was fantastic. Definitely plan on purchasing this to add to my collection.
post #48 of 53 Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 5225
Movie arrived last night and we watched it. This was a very enjoyable film. Good story, great acting.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

Spoiler!
post #49 of 53 Old 04-30-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I rented this the other night and thought it was pretty good but not incredible. The problem being that after watching the trailer for it, I, in general terms, predicted in my head how it would be and it ended being pretty close. Hate when that happens.

Was a nice movie though with some amusing parts and was well made.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #50 of 53 Old 07-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I finally got around to watching this on regular blu ray tonight, Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali were great, the movie was excellent! Borrowed from the library, but I think I will go ahead and purchase on 4k UHD. Wonderful picture, top shelf! Really enjoyed it!
Ralph Potts and RagtopFE like this.
post #51 of 53 Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The Greenbook

I finally found the time to sit down, alone and without distractions, to watch The Greenbook.

Mr. Potts' review, like almost every one of his that I have read, was spot on in most every way. The Greenbook was the best and most touching film I have watched in a very, very long time.
I was only 12 in 1962, having been born in the Bronx and moved to Yonkers,NY at the age of 6, I was fairly removed from much of the goings on during the civil rights movement. Now, I pretty much see it as a human rights movement.

So many of my friends from first grade onward through high school were a diversified mix of white and black, christian and Jew that our ethnic and religious differences were never really a subject we paid notice to. The marches, lynchings and murders occurring down South were things we read in the newspapers or saw on the 3 channels of TV news and, I suppose now, were almost a thing of fiction since they didn't touch my friends and I.

Not until I was older, about 13, did it all become real. My 5 years older sister was dating the soon to be famous Happy Hairston who later was dubbed the Super Sub on the Lakers. Happy was a great guy and his friendship made me the envy of my peers. My sister invited him to Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't find this invitation out until much later and learned that my ******* father said no because he was black. To this day, my father, now deceased, had lost any respect I might ever have had for him.

My sister later married another man who was African American and had two, now grown and married, daughters who have done very well for themselves. They are still married and happy.

Perhaps I was too engrossed in the film to have noticed the Atmos audio as being much more than dialogue but, Mr. Potts rewatchable score of 4 stars is too low. I look forward to watching this again many times and to sharing it on movie nights with friends.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #52 of 53 Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Finally got around to seeing this...what an amazing film.

I was aware of the controversy re: Dr Shirley's family, but after doing some research after the movie, it appears the producers and directors (and the actors) did quite a lot of leg work and made a sincere effort to ensure the film was based on their best assessment of true events. Dr Shirley also apparently requested the that film not be made until after his passing, so I'm not sure that's something you entrust to another unless you had a fair degree of confidence that it would be told accurately.

That being said, as a FILM it was fantastic. The two leads have more range and charisma in their back pockets than many in Hollywood have on their best day. I felt very invested in the performances and the story, and it's a sobering reminder of how it really wasn't that long ago that we treated people with such disrespect and cruelty based solely on a physical aspect they did not have any control over.

On a side note, it was very interesting to me that the individual that Viggo portrayed, "Tony Lip", was the actor in The Sopranos who portrayed Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. What an interesting life both Tony and Dr Shirley had, together and separately.

Great review, as always, Ralph!
post #53 of 53 Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Finally got a chance to watch this what an amazing film. Loved it. This is a quality film done well. Will be picking this up definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Steve544 and RagtopFE like this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page