Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6134
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, the second installment of the "Fantastic Beasts" series featuring the adventures of Magizoologist Newt Scamander.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 134/141 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Katherin Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Johnny Depp, Ezra Miller, Zoe Kravitz, Callum Turner, Claudia Kim, William Nadylam, Kevin Guthrie
Directed by: David Yates
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: J.K. Rowling
Region Code: A

Release Date: March 12, 2019

"The Fate of One Will Change the Future of All"

Synopsis:

“After the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald escapes from custody, Magizoologist New Scamander is called upon my Hogwarts professor Albus Dumbledore once again. Facing unforeseen dangers, Newt must find a way to stop Grindelwald, whose plan for pure-blood wizards to rule over non-magical beings threatens to divide the entire wizarding world.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

I will begin my review of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald with some of my comments from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:

I haven’t read one of J.K. Rowling’s books, but that hasn’t prevented me from enjoying the films based on them. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, whose seven Harry Potter books were adapted into one of the highest grossing film franchises of all time. The Potter films undeniably brought her delightful characters to life, and endeared them to us while fundamentally establishing the theme of good versus evil. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them continues much in that vein, with a storyline that takes place roughly 70 years before Harry Potter attends Hogwarts. Apparently the first in an anticipated series of films, “Fantastic Beasts” borrows from the rich context of Potter, while spinning a new narrative that stands quite well on its own.

At the end of the first film, the Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). In Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Grindelwald, making good on his threat, escapes custody and sets about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

I am a fan of the Harry Potter film series and enjoyed Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The trailer for this film didn’t inspire me to head out to see it in the theater so viewing it at home was option two. Written by J.K. Rowling the plot picks up very near to where the first film leaves off. From there to stage is set by a series of subplots, several which are clearly designed to lay the foundation for the next installment. Unfortunately, it leaves this entry’s narrative feeling a bit scattered as it introduces several new characters as well as interjecting familiar elements that will come to bear well into the future. It would be fair to say that I found the film as a whole to be mildly entertaining but, not on the same level as its predecessor. There was a lack of enriching magical storytelling and not enough character strength.

I do enjoy watching Eddie Redmayne in the role of Newt and I like Katherine Waterston so, that part’s easy. I am hoping that the next installment brings everything together in a more cohesive way. For now, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald only serves to whet the appetite of series fans.

This Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the theatrical cut (Ultra HD/Blu-ray) and a 7 minute longer Extended Cut (Digital only).

Replay Value: 3 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sequences of fantasy action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald was rendered from a 6.5K source and finished on a 4K DI.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is a period-based film that isn’t boldly colorful, relying on stylized visuals that employ stark contrast, reserved chromatic elements and lots of CGI. I found that this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. The 1080p transfer looks terrific but this rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, and emboldened highlights, both light and dark. This is readily apparent in the sequence where Newt checks in with his caretaker at his animal sanctuary. The beautiful earth toned colors, shimmering water, and sunny sky look terrific. Close ups reveal oodles of fine detail and abounding textures. Wide angle shots and the contrasting cinematography, going from brightly lit exteriors to the variety of dark, shadowy sequences look great in Ultra HD.

I found the application of high dynamic range to be spot on and quite complimentary. Some of the best examples of the presentation's effective use of HDR comes during the opening escape sequence and, the scene in Paris, which looks gorgeous. The HDR highlight comes during Grindelwald’s unleashing of his white fire attack. The brilliant highlights of what follows, above Paris, look terrific. The scenes shot at night, or in the low light of dawn or dusk, are equally rewarding, delivering a noticeably dimensional image, with excellent delineation.

While Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald looks great on either platform, seeing it in Ultra HD makes for a more involving viewing experience.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, I found the HDR renderings to be similar. The title looked solid on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I felt that the each handled of the finest details in shadows, delineation in specular highlights and gradations in variants of gray equally. You can’t go wrong with either.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. The music score is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the story's thematic tone. When the action kicks the level of immersion increases but not to a compelling degree. In general, I enjoyed the presentation's balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I would have preferred a more aggressive overall Atmos listening experience but in the end I think it complimented the source material.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Colors are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/period setting based upon the mood of the scene. The chroma range isn’t broad and hues can vary from being sullen and inanimate to warm and inviting. Skin tones are appropriately bland with natural highlights and descriptive variation. Images onscreen were exquisitely detailed and sharp with superb depth of field and visible texture during wide angle shots. Contrast is spot on and blacks are deep with revealing delineation that provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. The video has a pristine quality that is free of video related artifacts.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Atmos core) soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass associated with the action-based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and while it didn’t prove quite as engaging as its predecessor’s surround mix, I thought that it mated well with the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Blu-ray
    • J.K. Rowling: A World Revealed
    • Wizards on Screen, Fans in Real Life
    • Distinctly Dumbledore
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: The Return to Hogwarts
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: Newt’s Menagerie
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: Credence, Nagini and the Circus Arcanus
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: Paris and Place Cachée
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: Ministere des Affaires Magiques
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets: Grindelwald's Escape and the Ring of Fire
    • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital (Extended Cut)

Final Thoughts:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is the second installment in the Fantastic Beasts film series, Written by J.K. Rowlings and inspired by the Hogwarts textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” written by her character Newt Scamander. This film doesn’t have the narrative depth of the first film, feeling more like a bridge that leads up to the next but, it kept me entertained for most of its two plus hour runtime. It comes to Blu-ray on this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall video quality, solid lossless sound, including a Dolby Atmos immersive mix and a fair supplemental package. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is worth picking up for series fans. Otherwise, a rental is a good place to start.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Was hoping the picture/sound would be a bit higher but will still purchase! A big fan of this entire series. A bit of a letdown the sound isn't as good as fantastic beasts though

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #3 of 33 Old 03-05-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Yeah, definitely the sound takes a backseat compared to the first film, especially in dynamics and the LFE extension and output. As for the Atmos mix, once again using the NeuralX render er vs the native Atmos one yielded a noticeable improvement of the sense of openness and 3D height presence, while discrete placements remained in their intended positions. Still the gutted dynamics makes this a less then stellar effort despite of the wonderful sound design, which was always of the hallmark of the series going back to the "Sorcerer's Stone".

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 03-05-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Thanks for the review Ralph, glad you liked the film. I've had this on pre-order ever since I saw it in the theater. The film is definitely a bridge (without giving anything away).
Ralph Potts and Jonas2 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 33 Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Looking forward to the disk since I never had a chance to see this in the theaters. As always, thanks Ralph for your review!!
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 33 Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Thanks for the review Ralph. Ive often wondered how the Fantastic Beasts movies hold up to someone that hasn't read any of the Harry Potter books.

I think I enjoyed the second one better then the first! Will get it on UHD.
tenthplanet likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #7 of 33 Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Watching this on my JVC RS2000 and the PQ is top notch. Beautiful
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
*mild spoilers* there was one particular scene at around 55 mins where the house gets destroyed. I found the sound to be EXTREMELY poor when i expected it to have a lot of bass. Did anybody else experience this as well or was it just my system ?
post #9 of 33 Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah, definitely the sound takes a backseat compared to the first film, especially in dynamics and the LFE extension and output. As for the Atmos mix, once again using the NeuralX render er vs the native Atmos one yielded a noticeable improvement of the sense of openness and 3D height presence, while discrete placements remained in their intended positions. Still the gutted dynamics makes this a less then stellar effort despite of the wonderful sound design, which was always of the hallmark of the series going back to the "Sorcerer's Stone".
Completely agree. Was extremely disappointed with the sound and dynamics. LFE felt non existent and sound seemed like the dynamic range limiter was on throughout the movie. I went throughout my entire setup to make sure something wasn’t set wrong.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 5433
Thanks for the review, Ralph!

I definitely enjoyed the first one better than this.
pdasterly and Trebor Pyn like this.
post #11 of 33 Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
3d > 2d hdr

Having seen both the DV 4K and 3D discs, the 3D is the clear winner. Not only does the movie do a great job rendering the 3D, but pretty much every scene from the WB logo to the end credits were framed with 3D in mind. 3D is the winner for those lucky enough to have a dlp projector or LG passive 3D set.
easycruise likes this.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I'm not surprised about how Neural:X sounds better. On my last few Denon AVRs, DTS audio tracks sound louder by up to 3dbs and fuller than Dolby tracks. If I switch back and forth, the difference in the two audio formats is immediately obvious.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
When I saw the movie in the theater I felt that it was a bit muddled and not nearly up to the standard set by the first Fantastic Beasts film. We watched it tonight on the 65" OLED set and this time it struck me as a much better movie than I had first thought. The Dolby Vision image was excellent and the audio when I used the Neural:X upmixer was very good. More importantly the multiple story lines seemed much tighter and logically meshed at the end. At the very least it set up the third entry in this series very nicely and, hopefully, Jo Rowling can really come up with a great script. There are some movies that play better in a home video environment than they do in a theater, and for me, FB 2 turned out to be one of them.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 03-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Got my copy last night (along with Green Book) and am looking forward to seeing both of them!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #15 of 33 Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
I think the greatest strength of the 1st movie was the fact that the story was completely removed from the world of Potter and Hogwarts. It stood more or less on its own. This one cannot make that claim, it really seems more like just another Potter film or perhaps a Potter prequel. The Fantastic Beasts aren't really part of the story at all.
post #16 of 33 Old 03-16-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
The art Nouveau architecture in this was absolutely beautiful, whether it was filmed on location and or filled in with CGI, it's always great to see !
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I think the greatest strength of the 1st movie was the fact that the story was completely removed from the world of Potter and Hogwarts. It stood more or less on its own. This one cannot make that claim, it really seems more like just another Potter film or perhaps a Potter prequel. The Fantastic Beasts aren't really part of the story at all.
I agree to a point but they were in there. Personally I like how it ties into Hogwarts and fills in the history of the previous series.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #18 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched both movies back to back last night and no doubt the second one seems throttled back or something. Not nearly as dynamic as the first one. Still I enjoyed the movie and the visuals were fantastic!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denali Cinema
post #19 of 33 Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Watched both movies back to back last night and no doubt the second one seems throttled back or something. Not nearly as dynamic as the first one. Still I enjoyed the movie and the visuals were fantastic!
I watched this last night and I found it sounded great! One note is that it was mixed low (I had to watch at +6db compared to normal). Also, this atmos disc has dynamic compression on by default. I have made it a habit to check any atmos movie at start to make sure this isn't automatically turned on. This was one I had to switch off when it started playing.

My thoughts:

Picture was beautiful. Some of the shots of the city were simply amazing. I also felt the CGI was top notch. I think my favorite creature was that Chinese dragon guy. Even simple things like the texture of Newt's coat were nice.

The sound was very good especially the Atmos. This was a very active disk that used my surrounds quite a bit and had many cool Atmos effects. The scene with the Chinese dragon was very well done! I did BEQ it so I don't want to comment too much on the bass but it was passable with BEQ.

As for the movie, I quite enjoyed it! I went into it with low expectations due to mass market poor reviews but I don't know what movie they were watching. Many critiques of hard to follow but I just don't get that. Even on my first viewing I had no issues following anything. I'm not even sure what was so difficult unless they had a hard time tracking the different characters? Maybe it's because I'm a big Harry Potter fan, I dunno. I liked it as much as the first fantastic beasts. I really enjoyed seeing all the new beasts! Good stuff!
tenthplanet and brazensol like this.

F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
post #20 of 33 Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
I watched this last night and I found it sounded great! One note is that it was mixed low (I had to watch at +6db compared to normal). Also, this atmos disc has dynamic compression on by default. I have made it a habit to check any atmos movie at start to make sure this isn't automatically turned on. This was one I had to switch off when it started playing.

My thoughts:

Picture was beautiful. Some of the shots of the city were simply amazing. I also felt the CGI was top notch. I think my favorite creature was that Chinese dragon guy. Even simple things like the texture of Newt's coat were nice.

The sound was very good especially the Atmos. This was a very active disk that used my surrounds quite a bit and had many cool Atmos effects. The scene with the Chinese dragon was very well done! I did BEQ it so I don't want to comment too much on the bass but it was passable with BEQ.

As for the movie, I quite enjoyed it! I went into it with low expectations due to mass market poor reviews but I don't know what movie they were watching. Many critiques of hard to follow but I just don't get that. Even on my first viewing I had no issues following anything. I'm not even sure what was so difficult unless they had a hard time tracking the different characters? Maybe it's because I'm a big Harry Potter fan, I dunno. I liked it as much as the first fantastic beasts. I really enjoyed seeing all the new beasts! Good stuff!
Good idea on checking for dynamic compression - it never occurred to me to do that! I wonder if it was an oversight or if they intended to do that?

Denali Cinema
post #21 of 33 Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Good idea on checking for dynamic compression - it never occurred to me to do that! I wonder if it was an oversight or if they intended to do that?
It's actually happening on a fair amount of movies since I started checking. I would say 25% of Atmos tracks I've watched this year have had it enabled by default. At least on my Denon I can't find a way to have it ignore it. I have to manually change it each time it gets toggled on via a track from a movie.
brazensol likes this.

post #22 of 33 Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Woohoo. Best bluray release of the year if you ask me. That was awesome. Depp killed it, jude law killed it. Heck the love story even had me going. Liked the changes. Liked all the back stories.

I watched the bluray and it was grainy. Audio was great though. Black levels on my jvc rs420 were..interesting.

The wizarding world is certainly ahead of us, 1927 and women are wearing some very revealing clothes and dont care about bras LOL.

I really enjoyed that movie. I'll be looking for it on 4k hoping for improved picture over the bluray.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #23 of 33 Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Woohoo. Best bluray release of the year if you ask me. That was awesome. Depp killed it, jude law killed it. Heck the love story even had me going. Liked the changes. Liked all the back stories.

I watched the bluray and it was grainy. Audio was great though. Black levels on my jvc rs420 were..interesting.

The wizarding world is certainly ahead of us, 1927 and women are wearing some very revealing clothes and dont care about bras LOL.

I really enjoyed that movie. I'll be looking for it on 4k hoping for improved picture over the bluray.
I just blind bought the 4K version and didn't notice any grain, and if there was any, I probably would have picked up on that.
What scene and time on the Blu-ray had the worst grain, I'll check it out ?
post #24 of 33 Old 03-21-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The beginning was super grainy on the hallway walls. Then there was a scene later where I think grindelwald was about to come out and talk to his "followers" completely black except for a small area that I think led out to the big room. I was seeing a lot of noise there in the blacks. I thought I solved that problem when I bought a jvcrs420 lol, havent seen it show up until this movie.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -

Last edited by trilkb; 03-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #25 of 33 Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
The beginning was super grainy on the hallway walls. Then there was a scene later where I think grindelwald was about to come out and talk to his "followers" completely black except for a small area that I think led out to the big room. I was seeing a lot of noise there in the blacks. I thought I solved that problem when I bought a jvcrs420 lol, havent seen it show up until this movie.
I'll take a look at those scenes, both on the Blu-ray and on the 4K version in the next day or two.
post #26 of 33 Old 03-21-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah crap. Just noticed it in another movie. Forgot I messed with some settings for gamma, picture tone, dark level, bright level...just noticed it on die hard 4 too. Zerod em back out and now I have my jvc blacks back!

Re-rented this movie and everything was perfect.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by trilkb; 03-22-2019 at 08:23 PM.
post #27 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I think if you have 3D capability 3D is the way to go. In 3D I found the visuals to be a real treat.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #28 of 33 Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thought it looked great and sounded ok but I did have to turn it up a bit. I enjoyed it until about the last 45mins when the story didn’t get complicated so to speak, as much as it just got ridiculous and convoluted, reminded me of a modern day JRPG. I wish I had a better word, but just, dumb. Can someone please explain to me at the end why people were just standing around instead leaving or fighting back? They are the magical FBI right? I didnt understand the sacrifice made at all when everyone else took off or fought back. And the whole, spread the word that they are violent and we are not, omg my eyes almost got stuck I rolled them so hard. Maybe a second viewing will fair better as I did enjoy the first quite a bit.
post #29 of 33 Old 09-25-2019, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post

My thoughts:

How can one check if the disc has this dynamic compression? I have never heard of this on a disc. Is it on the disc or does it trigger a certain setting on the avr/prepro?
post #30 of 33 Old 09-25-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
@erick granato , I believe that @Ruppgu is indicating that this happens in the Denon. I have the X4200, and it does at times trigger dynamic compression. just need to go into the receiver GUI to change.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page