Aquaman Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

post #91 of 101 Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I've actually become quite fond of this dual-ratio touch given to more and more movies. It has a real purpose for many films.

If I had to choose one ratio, I'd prefer movies to be in scope screen over full screen for the entirety of a movie. Especially for a traditional drama or comedy. Very easy on the eyes.

But for epic or action movies, there's something quite cool about using both formats. Interstellar did it brilliantly. On earth or in the ship, it was scope. Step into a new world, and it was 16:9. You barely notice the change, but man do those scenes on the planets seem large and immersive.

This seems to be increasing in usage. You can thank (or blame) Christopher Nolan for that.

It still boggles my mind why anyone today would buy a scope screen unless the only thing they watched was 2.35 movies. Sports, videogames, HBO, Youtube, and now these two-format movies.....they require a 16:9 screen unless you constantly want to be changing your zoom.
Well, scope films are meant to be larger and more immersive vs 1.78 films from a purist perspective if you care about that.

Having said the above, the choice of which aspect screen someone goes with depends on many factors and in some situations 1.78 makes more sense and in others scope makes more sense. In my room for example, I run out of height before width. The biggest 1.78 image I can get is the exact same no matter if I go with a 1.78 or scope screen, but I get a MUCH bigger scope image going with a scope screen. A 2.35 screen is a no brainer in my room due to all this. Someone who runs out of width before height would most likely be better off with a 1.78 screen. Lots of other possible reasons to go with one aspect over another, but this is one example.

As a scope screen user, I hate variable aspect because it doesnt work. If I had a 1.78 screen though I'd be all for it.
Erod likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 04-01-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Well, scope films are meant to be larger and more immersive vs 1.78 films from a purist perspective if you care about that.

Having said the above, the choice of which aspect screen someone goes with depends on many factors and in some situations 1.78 makes more sense and in others scope makes more sense. In my room for example, I run out of height before width. The biggest 1.78 image I can get is the exact same no matter if I go with a 1.78 or scope screen, but I get a MUCH bigger scope image going with a scope screen. A 2.35 screen is a no brainer in my room due to all this. Someone who runs out of width before height would most likely be better off with a 1.78 screen. Lots of other possible reasons to go with one aspect over another, but this is one example.

As a scope screen user, I hate variable aspect because it doesnt work. If I had a 1.78 screen though I'd be all for it.
That is very true what you say about available wall space for the screen. I'd do the same in your situation.
Toe likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #93 of 101 Old 04-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Like most other have said, great visuals and great bass. Loved the IMAX scenes. Couldn't get enough of that and for that reason alone, I'm proud to have this in my collection.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 101 Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Here's my thought after watching this one, and as disclaimer I do not read any DC or Marvel comics.

Movie wise, My Wife and I very much enjoy this one.
Nice story, kept you interested all the way. And all the main character's, had some charisma.
Not to mention those battle scene under water, almost like watching a Star Wars space battle scene
Much better, of my expectation

Sound wise, very nice. Lots of bass and all around speaker effect. A well balance sound, and very enjoyable.
While the picture was full screen, a 1:78 aspect ratio on my 1:85 screen. It did not bother me at all.
Since the picture had very nice color, and details in so many scenes.

Worth a second spin, when time is not too restricted. Due to the length of that movie.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 04-03-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #95 of 101 Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
This was a really enjoyable movie. I liked Wonder Woman a lot more, but this was much better than Superman v. Batman and Justice League.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Momoa and Heard. The audio was top notch. My only gripe is that the CG looked really bad during then end. It took me out of the movie for a moment, which was really unfortunate.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #96 of 101 Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Gave this a spin finally tonight and although there were some eye rolling moments my wife and I overall enjoyed it. We wish they could just euthanize the rest of the DC universe and just roll Aquaman and Wonder Woman into the Avengers. As for the soundtrack in this movie, it was in a word, insane. The bass was almost too much at times, especially when he meets the sea monster when he’s going for the trident, I thought my drywall was going to crack, there were things rattling I’ve never heard rattle before. Even though I only watched the 1080p BD from redbox I thought the picture, especially the scenes in the Sahara and Sicily looked excellent. Thanks for the review Ralph.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #97 of 101 Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
Hopefully should be picking this up tomorrow, seen it at the theatres and we enjoyed it
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #98 of 101 Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
Watched it the other night, really enjoyed it at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #99 of 101 Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Picked up the UHD on sale, and my partner and I watched it this weekend. Our expectations were just a low commitment superhero movie and thats exactly what we got - it was fun. We both enjoyed it.

Movie is gorgeous to look at, but I do echo the sentiment that the underwater scenes are a touch soft (due to water effect/CGI), but it does not deter from the great quality. Stand out scene for me personally was the underwater secret meeting in the old ship - visually it was razor sharp with excellent HDR effects. Atmost/mix was amazing, very impressed. Great pickup!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #100 of 101 Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I grew up reading Aquaman comics as well as the rest of the DC universe. By the time I grew older Marvel had become number one but I really had moved on. When it comes to films, I am really not a super hero film fan though some I have found mildly entertaining. Venom surprised me...I thought it was decent.

However, here, for the first time, I have to disagree with Ralph Potts. Not on his evaluation of the video and audio quality but on the movie itself. Not only way too long, which Ralph did mention, but way too boring. I couldn't wait for it to be over. The worst film I have seen since the remake of The Lone Ranger. It was all 90% cartoon animation and 10% green or blue screen.. Not for me at all
Ralph Potts and philf1fan2 like this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #101 of 101 Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
I grew up reading Aquaman comics as well as the rest of the DC universe. By the time I grew older Marvel had become number one but I really had moved on. When it comes to films, I am really not a super hero film fan though some I have found mildly entertaining. Venom surprised me...I thought it was decent.

However, here, for the first time, I have to disagree with Ralph Potts. Not on his evaluation of the video and audio quality but on the movie itself. Not only way too long, which Ralph did mention, but way too boring. I couldn't wait for it to be over. The worst film I have seen since the remake of The Lone Ranger. It was all 90% cartoon animation and 10% green or blue screen.. Not for me at all

Greetings,

Sorry we didn't line up on this one Steve. Catch you one the next one..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews