Aquaman Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

post #1 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Aquaman Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Arthur Curry, the human-born heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, goes on a quest to prevent a war between the worlds of ocean and land. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Aquaman.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 143 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Action

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1, 1.78:1, 1.90:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson, Willem DaFoe, Dolph Lundgren, Nicole Kidman, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
Directed by: James Wan
Music by: Rupert Gregson-Williams
Written by: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, Will Beall
Region Code: A

Release Date: March 26, 2019

"He’s Not From Around Here"

Synopsis:

“Aquaman reveals origin story of half-human, half-Atlantean Arthur Curry and takes him on the journey of his lifetime – to discover if he is worthy of who he was born to be…king.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

Once home to the most advanced civilization on Earth, the city of Atlantis is now an underwater kingdom ruled by the power-hungry heir apparent Orm. With a vast army at his disposal, Orm plans to conquer the surface world and then the remaining oceanic people. Standing in his way is Aquaman, Orm's half-human, half-Atlantean brother and true heir to the throne. With help from Atlantean Princess Mera and royal counselor Vulko, Aquaman must retrieve the legendary Trident of Atlan and, embrace his destiny as protector of the deep. Able to survive the harshest depths of the ocean and on the surface world above, the child of two worlds will grow to be a hero to both in addition to being a founding member of the Justice League.

I have to be honest, I was never an Aquaman fan, at least not in the comics. As a child I liked the Aquaman cartoon but, that seemed pretty different compared to the comic book character. I was quite interested to see how the character would compare when brought to the big screen. His appearance in Justice League gave me hope, despite the film’s lack of focus and general direction. When Aquaman was announced I honestly didn’t see that point, feeling that we had enough background on him from Justice League. I also wasn’t sure whether his backstory would have the depth necessary to make for an engaging superhero feature film.

Despite my concerns I was at the theater on opening weekend and gave it a shot. The casting of Amber Heard, Nicole Kidman and Patrick Wilson, alongside Jason Momoa piqued my interest. I have to say that I walked away from Aquaman with an overall favorable impression. No, it’s not up to the level of the best superhero action flicks we have seen in recent years but, the narrative ticks the right boxes, presenting a solid story that includes enough formulaic drama and wit, mated with a cache of characters that are decently drawn, within its construct, so as not to appear simply as window dressing. If I had a nit to pick with respect to the story’s flow, I would say that it would have benefited from tighter editing. There are several scenes that should have found their way to the cutting room floor.

In general, I found the production elements and action to be entertaining to watch. I like Amber Heard and was pleased with her broad role here. Kidman, Wilson, and DaFoe, handled their respective parts well also. Aquaman turned out to be a pleasant surprise that held up quite nicely upon this second viewing.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of sci-fi violence and action and for some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Aquaman comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Aquaman was derived from a 3.4K source, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K.

Aquaman is a sci-fi/fantasy/action-adventure film that features two worlds that blend of mix cinematic visuals, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. When utilized, secondary colors pop off of the screen. The combination of rich color, sepia, and gradational gray tones look absolutely terrific.

I also enjoyed the implementation of HDR. Primarily speaking this isn’t an overtly bright film. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows during the low-level scenes, such as those that take place in Atlantis (the Ring of Fire battle comes to mind), the nighttime attack on Mera and Arthur aboard the boat, by the Trench inhabitants, followed by the descent to the Trench and, the undersea prison/world at the Earth’s core, that contains the Trident of Atlan, is excellent. The cinematography makes use of shadows, streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well, drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. In the aforementioned sequences, as well as the large scale battle in the finale, the blend of shadow detail/depth of field offset by the presence of light at varying levels, looked great, and when applied, brilliant light caused me to blink/squint in reaction to it.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times, the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, clothing and interior spaces is resolvable. The CGI featured in the film has appreciable delineation which adds an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic. There is some innate softening due to the extensive CGI, but it’s rarely depreciating. I found the IMAX sequences, which comprise approximately 70% of the presentation to be beautiful. In general, the IMAX rendered footage particularly those scenes that take place with little, to no CGI, with their level of detail, color depth, and deep blacks made for an incredible enriching and engaging visual display.

The difference between viewing Aquaman in high definition and Ultra HD is fairly close, but there is no question that it benefitted from the increase in resolution, emboldened color and high dynamic range treatment. I found this to be a faithful and complimentary rendering that looked great.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Aquaman, I found the HDR treatment to be close but, the Dolby Vision presentation edged out the HDR-10 rendering. This came primarily in the form of improved interstitials in blacks and deeper resolvable shadows. I also thought that white detail fared better ever so slightly. Color rendering was a tossup, but, if I was forced to choose, I would give the nod to the Dolby Vision’s reproduction of red and blue. As I alluded to earlier, each of these presentations looked terrific, and share many of the same positive attributes. I suspect that those capable of viewing it in Dolby Vision will find it to be just a notch above.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of sounds placed above is a mix of music, atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Over the course of the film there are various sequences (such as the opening scene involving the submarine/pirates, the Ring of Fire battle or the Trench people attack) where environmental sounds, music cues and discrete objects are mixed to differing locations in the sound field, adding a head turning element to the viewing experience.

The large set piece in the finale, finishes things off with a bang as flying debris, atmospherics, and near field objects rotate, and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed this immersive sound mix, and think that it complimented the source material, making for a noticeably richer listening experience when compared to the 5.1 channel mix.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Aquaman comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video, lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound, and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound .

Having seen Aquaman theatrically, I found this rendering to faithfully mimic that presentation. The film utilizes a stylized visual design comprised of various elements that represent the differing environs featured in the story. The color range is varies sometimes being limited to shades of blue, gray and black, and at others, featuring splashes of broader colors and sepia tones. Warm golden accents break up the monochromatic essence as uneven light and shading are prevalent. Primary colors are a bit exaggerated, but, not distractingly so. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are snappy, and crisp, and grays are multi-staged and layered. Blacks are dynamic, and gradational, and detail in shadows is excellent. The large amount of CGI featured in the film softens some of the background elements, but I didn’t find it to be excessive, or distracting, as the quality of the video is high.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack (as well as the 7.1 Dolby True HD Atmos core) is demonstration quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference. This recording has wide dynamic range, and boasts superlative clarity, and high-level detail. Dialog is appreciably lucid through the center channel as it penetrates well into the room. Channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds contained in this soundtrack. Where called upon the listening position is submerged in sound that bombards the senses with a combination of discretely placed, near field, and panning sound effects. Low frequency effects are applied with authority, and occasionally provide room shuddering bass. For those so equipped, I preferred the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD sound over the 5.1 channel mix, but, either one is guaranteed to give your home theater a workout.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Aquaman Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Aquaman Blu-ray
    • Going Deep Into the World of Aquaman
    • Becoming Aquaman
    • James Wan: World Builder
    • Aqua Tech
    • Atlantis Warfare
    • The Dark Depths of Black Manta
    • Heroines of Atlantis
    • Villaneous Training
    • Kingdoms of the Seven Seas
    • Creating Undersea Creatures
    • A Match Made in Atlantis
    • Scene Study Breakdowns
    • Exclusive Sneak Peek of Shazam!
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Aquaman has a few hit or miss moments that luckily don’t spoil its ability to make for a rousing and overall all fun addition to the DC Cinematic Universe. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack featuring reference quality Ultra HD video, superb high definition audio/video, a terrific Dolby Atmos sound mix, and a fan friendly supplemental set. For those that enjoy the genre, Aquaman is easily worthy of consideration for your collection. For those equipped for Ultra HD Blu-ray and immersive sound, you’re in for a treat.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
gonzalc3, darthray, gbaby and 8 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 03-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I entered the theatre with the same outlook, cautiously optimistic.

I gave to agree that it was entertaining, but poorly edited, too long and the final battle scene was very aptly described by another review as Star Wars underwater.

The acting was good, but the script needed some more attention.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I honestly enjoyed the movie, a few storyline flaws and aside from me wanting to know how a Naval Engineer had the ability to re-engineer bio-"alien" weapon tech and turn it into a suit was a large stretch but yeah overall pretty good and the humor was decent too not so much in your face humor but more in the moment humor.

Oh how many Little Mermaid references did you catch? I counted 3 maybe 4 lol.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Cannot wait to watch this in 3D. Should be awesome
Reddig and AlanAbby like this.
post #5 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ralph,

I hope this doesn't go too far off topic, but I'm relatively new here to being a forum frequenter, and had a question or two about your audio reviews, and this movie can suffice as well as any I suppose...

You rated the Atmos track as a 94, but the audio track from the blu-ray as a 100...what's the specific rational for the score discrepancy there?

I'm assuming the Atmos track was derived from the 7.1 True HD track, but why a lower score? Or was the blu-ray offering the 5. 1 master track, and did you think that 5.1 track had more impact than the Atmos track? Are the tracks not the same on UHD and the blu-ray?

I guess I'm really trying to understand the discrepancy in the scoring between the UHD track and the blu-ray track. Perhaps you've gone to lengths to explain this in the past, and if so, a simple link to the explanation would suffice.

Thanks!
post #6 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy View Post
Ralph,

I hope this doesn't go too far off topic, but I'm relatively new here to being a forum frequenter, and had a question or two about your audio reviews, and this movie can suffice as well as any I suppose...

You rated the Atmos track as a 94, but the audio track from the blu-ray as a 100...what's the specific rational for the score discrepancy there?

I'm assuming the Atmos track was derived from the 7.1 True HD track, but why a lower score? Or was the blu-ray offering the 5. 1 master track, and did you think that 5.1 track had more impact than the Atmos track? Are the tracks not the same on UHD and the blu-ray?

I guess I'm really trying to understand the discrepancy in the scoring between the UHD track and the blu-ray track. Perhaps you've gone to lengths to explain this in the past, and if so, a simple link to the explanation would suffice.

Thanks!

Greetings,

Welcome to the Blu-ray Review Forum.

They use differing rating parameters. Here is the link to my post from 2015 that outlines the difference and parameters:

Dolby Atmos Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2567
Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy View Post
Ralph,

Thanks!

As far as I remember, it's a separate ratings scale based solely on Dolby Atmos (and maybe DTS: X) tracks and their capabilities beyond that of a solely channel-based track, and how the track fairs as far as coherent 3D immersion and object placement in the sound field.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #8 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Awesome! yes thanks to both of you. I understand now after reading the linked article. Ralph is holding the Atmos track to a different set of criteria as far as the overall effectiveness of the Atmos platform, rather than a direct comparison to a 5.1, or 7.1 surround track.

That's excellent. I was blown away the first time I heard the dolby atmos demos on my 5.1.4 system and am pleased the atmos reviews are about the effectiveness of that platform's use.
Ralph Potts, djoberg and Dirk504 like this.
post #9 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
This is the template that should had been used for BP as well, take me out the tired old Gotham/NYC,London etc... and show me something new and fantastic. That's exactly what James Waan delivered here. The underwater stuff was just awesome, and luckily that's were the majority of the story takes place. Momoa finally found his calling here, as I didn't care much for Conan or Drago though the later was better, but still not as cool as his SG: Atlantis brake out character. Wilson as most of the time is very dependable, and so is Dafoe. Already pre ordered this on 4k.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #10 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Ralph, your killing my wallet this month! 4th blind buy in the last couple weeks!
Ralph Potts and Reddig like this.
post #11 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
I will definitely be picking this (the UHD release) up as soon as it's released. On Thursday I will take delivery of a new LG OLED77C8 display and I can't wait to see this (and other UHD/HDR Blu-rays) on a display with PERFECT BLACKS and excellent HDR performance.
Ralph Potts, thehun and adpayne like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Saw this on my JVC RS2000. Best PQ I have ever seen.
Ralph Potts and Rengozu like this.
post #13 of 101 Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ralph,

Thank you for the review. I have to agree with you - and others pointing it out - that the script needed some work and the editing could also have been more streamlined.
To us the whole battle scene under water was at times overwhelming. What was a thrill and absolutely breathtaking in the recent Spider-Verse movie, got a little out of hand in this one. One's eyes didn't even know where to look at any one moment during those many scenes.
All in all an OK movie for us. I ordered the 3D blindly, so when that version comes, we have to watch it at least one more time.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ralph you do very good reviews and 9/10 i agree with you on the movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Is there a way for future reviews you could include the HDR format (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision) in the "Details" section at the beginning Ralph?
Ralph Potts likes this.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #16 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Hi Ralph - this is one of those "must have" UHDBR's for me, we saw it at the big cinema and loved it, on pre-order.

2 things:
1st, "** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**"

Yea - what's up with that? I find it irritating that I'm seeing this, if the Dolby Atmos mix is default and the AVR/system can't decode it won't it then just default down?

2nd, I have the RS400 you have the RS500, when you pause and re-start does your RS500 go back to gamma D?
My RS400 does and that's just annoying as all heck.
post #17 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
Is there a way for future reviews you could include the HDR format (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision) in the "Details" section at the beginning Ralph?
Yes, I could certainly add that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hi Ralph - this is one of those "must have" UHDBR's for me, we saw it at the big cinema and loved it, on pre-order.

2 things:
1st, "** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**"

Yea - what's up with that? I find it irritating that I'm seeing this, if the Dolby Atmos mix is default and the AVR/system can't decode it won't it then just default down?

2nd, I have the RS400 you have the RS500, when you pause and re-start does your RS500 go back to gamma D?
My RS400 does and that's just annoying as all heck.
Mike, No idea why Warner does this with some, not all, of their discs containing Atmos soundtracks. Regarding the projector reverting to Gamma D when pausing and restarting the film during HDR playback, no, my RS500 doesn't do that. The lone exception to this would be titles from Universal Studios that when paused and switch to the Universal Logo screensaver, DO make the projector revert to Gamma D.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I enjoyed this in the theater and will be buying for sure. How is the bass in this? It was insane in the IMAX showing I went to and I was wondering if the home version follows suit.
post #19 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIRO View Post
Cannot wait to watch this in 3D. Should be awesome
Too bad the price for 3D is more than twice the regular blu-ray price.
post #20 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post
I enjoyed this in the theater and will be buying for sure. How is the bass in this? It was insane in the IMAX showing I went to and I was wondering if the home version follows suit.

It's obscene, arguably too much at times
Sharp1080 and Rengozu like this.
post #21 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
How is the bass in this? It was insane in the IMAX showing I went to and I was wondering if the home version follows suit.

Greetings,

No worries, it gets things to shaking pretty good!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #22 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
IMAX scenes were amazing. Like I said earlier, this was the best uhd bd in regards to picture quality that I have seen. My wife looked at it a little yesterday and she ended up watching the entire movie. She never cares about how a movie looks, but she was in awe.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
I missed this in theaters but my wife and her friend seen it and they loved it. I can't wait to pick this up next week! Im double dipping as I got the 3D preordered off Amazon UK but its doesn't come out there for another month. In the meantime Im gunna pick it up on UHD.

Great Review Ralph! Im am just ecstatic at these amazing a/v scores so far this year! Wallet is not as ecstatic!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #24 of 101 Old 03-20-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
I am going to be watching this movie to see what is being done with Atmos. With so many effects and water noises, I would hope that the Atmos is very good. So far, most movies are honestly not that much more enveloping than 5.1. I haven't been blown away by most atmos soundtracks and I have plenty of Atmos setup at 17 channels.

Atmos test discs are much more entertaining than atmos movies most of the time...
gbaby likes this.

Blazar!
post #25 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Movie was a 7/10 for me but the visuals are something I'm looking forward to seeing at home. It was a real treat at the theater in 3D.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
post #26 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Thanks @Ralph Potts for the review. I watched on VUDU, but eagerly await the 4K disc to arrive next week.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 635
This movie was so dumb and so clumsy, but I still liked it. But then, I really like Ronon Dex. Once this gets under $20, I'll definitely be buying it.
post #28 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
So the blu ray looks and sounds better than the UHD/Atmos?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #29 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
So the blu ray looks and sounds better than the UHD/Atmos?
Greetings,

Huh?

As someone that regularly frequents the Blu-ray review forum, you aren't familiar with the differing rating parameters for UHD/Atmos and standard Blu-ray/Audio? I have covered this in two articles as well as answered this question countless times.

Here are the links to the articles I wrote back in 2015 and 2016 that outline the difference:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Dolby Atmos Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Regards,
nathanddrews and richardsim7 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #30 of 101 Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3995 Post(s)
Liked: 3169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Too bad the price for 3D is more than twice the regular blu-ray price.
But - it is available in NA same with the new Fantastic Beasts - no UK purchase needed.

Costs me twice - 3D for the Wife, 4K for me!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page