• 2 Post By bobbyhollywood

post #1 of 21 Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 5642
Stan & Ollie Blu-ray Review

Laurel and Hardy, the world's most famous comedy duo, attempt to reignite their film careers as they embark on what becomes their swan song - a grueling theatre tour of post-war Britain. Check out Ralph Potts’ Blu-ray review of Stan & Ollie.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures Classics - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: John C. Reilly, Steve Coogan, Nina Arianda, Shirley Henderson
Directed by: Jon S. Baird
Music by: Rolfe Kent
Written by: Jeff Pope
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: March 26, 2019

"The Untold Story of The World’s Greatest Comedy Team"

Synopsis:

Stan & Ollie follows the iconic comedy duo through a farewell tour across the U.K. as they attempt to re-connect with both their fans and each other.” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

Laurel & Hardy, one of the world’s great comedy teams, set out on a variety hall tour of Britain in 1953. Diminished by age and with their golden era as the kings of Hollywood comedy now behind them, they face an uncertain future. As the charm and beauty of their performances shines through, they re-connect with their adoring fans.

The tour becomes a hit, but Stan & Ollie can’t quite shake the specter of Laurel and Hardy’s past; the long-buried ghosts, coupled with Oliver’s failing health, start to threaten their precious partnership. A portrait of the most tender and poignant of creative marriages, they are aware that they may be approaching their swan song, trying to rediscover just how much they mean to each other.

Obviously, I wasn’t yet born during Laurel & Hardy’s heyday and peak popularity but, I became a fan by seeing their work on television. “March of the Wooden Soldiers” was an annual staple that we never missed and I remember watching the “Laurel & Hardy Laugh Toons” shorts on TV as well. I much preferred their brand of slapstick, brilliant comedic timing and physical comedy to that of Abbot and Costello.

I honestly hadn’t heard of Stan & Ollie until I happened to see the trailer on another Sony Home Video release I was reviewing. I was immediately struck by what I saw and was intrigued by the fact that Ollie was portrayed by John C. Reilly. Tried as I might I couldn’t curtail my high expectations and went into viewing hoping that my initial reaction to the trailer would be borne out. Well, it was. I loved every minute of Stan & Ollie.

The film takes a snapshot of the iconic comedy team years after their stars have dimmed and finds them trying to rekindle not only their careers but, their fragile partnership which suffered a blow a number of years earlier. There are insights into what made them tick not only as comedians but, as two men that shared a kinship that would endure. It’s a moving tribute that brought back fond memories of watching their schtick and just how damn GOOD they really were. I was blown away by the performances by Reilly and Coogan. Coogan in particular, as he was thoroughly convincing and could literally have been Stan Laurel.

Stan & Ollie is a wonderful film and a must see not only for fans but, cinema enthusiasts. It’s my favorite film so far this year.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some language and for smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Stan & Ollie comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Classics featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a terrific and faithful high definition transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray. Images are transparent with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. Fidelity is never in question regardless of the camera’s perspective. Colors are kept within the scope of the time frame which means lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks. There is a sepia toned aesthetic that permeates many sequences imparting a light monochromatic essence. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. Blacks are dynamic and stable and contrast is boldly applied without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. Every scene isn’t always razor sharp but is pristinely rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increases the perception of fine detail and depth/dimension. Fleshtones are naturally rendered and appear lifelike.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialog, and a subtle, yet engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds associated with the film’s various venues that created an occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with an appropriate low end and musical accompaniment that underscored the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be a solid audio presentation that complimented the video resulting in an involving viewing experience that enhanced the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Making Stan & Ollie - Featurette
  • Playful Prosthetics - Featurette
  • The Dancing Duo - Featurette
  • Q&A With Cast/Crew

Final Thoughts:

Stan & Ollie is a moving and poignant snapshot of both the creative marriage and swan song of the iconic comedy tandem of Laurel & Hardy. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Classics featuring excellent overall technical merits mated with a worthwhile supplemental package. Stan & Ollie is highly recommended viewing for all of those that appreciate a well-rounded and affecting film experience.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Great review. I saw the trailer when I was bored one night and just looked through all of the upcoming movies on my X1 box. I always loved the early period of comedy, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers, WC Fields, etc. Looks like a great casting job. Could be their twins

S~
Ralph Potts likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Apparently Sony doesn't want anybody to actually buy the BD, since its already sold out everywhere. Amazon says 1-2 months, BB isn't saying anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-29-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Thanks for pointing me to another missed movie, Ralph. I've lost count of how many times you have brought a movie that I knew nothing about to my attention. I too really like Laurel and Hardy comedies and will put this one at the top of my Netflix queue. Seems like a good movie for a family night.

Cal68
Eric HA and Ralph Potts like this.

Cal68
post #5 of 21 Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Thanks for the review Ralph. I will definitely be giving this one a spin.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Thanks for pointing me to another missed movie, Ralph. I've lost count of how many times you have brought a movie that I knew nothing about to my attention. I too really like Laurel and Hardy comedies and will put this one at the top of my Netflix queue. Seems like a good movie for a family night.

Cal68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric HA View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph. I will definitely be giving this one a spin.

Greetings,

You're quite welcome guys. I really hope you enjoy it...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 21 Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Redbox only offers it in DVD format.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #8 of 21 Old 03-29-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1950 View Post
redbox only offers it in dvd format.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #9 of 21 Old 03-30-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I hadn't heard of this one either, Ralph, but now, after reading your review and watching the trailer, I think this will be tonights rental. It looks great!
Thanks for the wonderful recommendation, Ralph.
Dale.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
I enjoyed this movie quite a lot.

However, as a Canadian who remembers our new flag (with the red maple leaf at the centre and the two red bars left and right) replacing the red ensign in 1965 I found it somewhat amusing that it appeared near the end of the movie flying in front of the hotel (two separate scenes) they were staying at in London in 1953. Oh well, the fact checker can't get everything right. It kind of took me out of the movie or a few seconds.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Bought and watched this on iTunes last night and enjoyed it very much. Also another movie I would not have known was out there without a review here on AVS. Thank you.

On a personal note it was special to me because these guys were my Father's absolute favorite and brought back memories of watching their old films on TV as a kid. He always referred to them as 'Fat & Skinny'. I don't know if that was a common name for them or something he made up. iTunes has theirs films in HD so I plan on watching more since I haven't seen any of them in many many years.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
So glad to hear this! I saw a preview of this a while ago in front of another movie and hoped to catch it when it was in theaters, but it must have been very limited release. I had high hopes for this one also as it looked really good. Now have to plan on catching this soon.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #13 of 21 Old 04-12-2019, 04:28 PM

FWIW, Amazon just shipped me one of these BDs, so they are starting to show up again.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Blu-ray from Amazon arrived this morning and we watched it this afternoon. Really a great movie and well done, speaking as someone who has followed Stan and Ollie since the early 1960's, when living in Los Angeles and their movies were shown pretty much weekly on TV. Learned quite a bit about what they went through during their film work, some of it sad. If you're fan, this is a must see/have movie.

Thank you Ralph for the review, which brought the movie to my attention.
-Rod
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-16-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
Blu-ray from Amazon arrived this morning and we watched it this afternoon. Really a great movie and well done, speaking as someone who has followed Stan and Ollie since the early 1960's, when living in Los Angeles and their movies were shown pretty much weekly on TV. Learned quite a bit about what they went through during their film work, some of it sad. If you're fan, this is a must see/have movie.

Thank you Ralph for the review, which brought the movie to my attention.
-Rod
Greetings,

You're very welcome Rod. So glad you enjoyed it as well..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 21 Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I too must see this film, thanks for the review. I bought the Essential L&H DVD box set several years ago. Fabulous. The transfers are all pristine. No dirt and noise on the movies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 discs for $50

This 10-disc set includes most of Laurel & Hardy's talkie shorts and features produced by Hal Roach between 1929 and 1940. These are among the funniest comedies ever made, as many vintage-film buffs will agree. Laurel & Hardy were often capable of carrying the action almost entirely by themselves: BRATS has Stan and Ollie as themselves and their own sons (with giant sets and trick photography); THE MUSIC BOX is the Oscar-winning featurette with the boys as the world's worst piano movers; HELPMATES has Stan helping Ollie to clean house after a wild party; THEIR FIRST MISTAKE has our heroes adopting a baby; TOWED IN A HOLE has them rehabbing a boat; BUSY BODIES turns them loose in a carpentry shop. You'll see dozens of examples of how inventive they were with pantomime and dialogue. Their short subjects were so successful that they branched out into full-length features, including their famous hits WAY OUT WEST and SONS OF THE DESERT, the prison comedy PARDON US, the "gypsy" comedy THE BOHEMIAN GIRL, the hour-of-sight-gags BLOCK-HEADS and SAPS AT SEA, and several others, including both versions of A CHUMP AT OXFORD (the standard 63-minute print of 1940, and the 42-minute, differently edited "streamliner" released in 1943). The supporting casts read like a who's-who of familiar faces: Edgar Kennedy, Billy Gilbert, Charlie Hall, James Finlayson, Mae Busch, Anita Garvin, Walter Long, Harry Bernard, Eddie Dunn, Daphne Pollard, and a host of others. You'll be laughing through 58 L & H comedies.

The wonderful news about this set is that the DVDs are presented in high definition, from the original surviving 35mm film elements. They are NOT taken from RHI's tape transfers that aired on AMC in the 1990s, or the broadcast masters prepared in 1986 for TV's "Laurel & Hardy Show" (some of which are still playing on TCM, and often in shortened form). The DVD producers went back to the source materials, meaning that the vintage Laurel & Hardy comedies have never looked or sounded better on video. The DVD producers have taken some pains with the restoration: picture and sound have been cleaned up digitally; most of the subjects feature the attractive, seldom-seen original titles; and even individual shots cut short in current prints have been restored to their original lengths.
Ralph Potts and dlinsley like this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #17 of 21 Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Watched this tonight. What a delightful story, superbly told.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
All kinds of free stuff on Amazon you can watch to be prepared for this movie.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Stan and Ollie begins downbeat with tepid audiences coming for a nostalgia tour of slap stick and sight gags. But it slowly warms up and shows an aging creative comedic buddy team rife with old hurts but still having the "it" to entertain. Ralph's review is spot on. This movie is one of the best stories out there and will endear all viewers. Rent Stan and Ollie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #20 of 21 Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Stan and Ollie begins downbeat with tepid audiences coming for a nostalgia tour of slap stick and sight gags. But it slowly warms up and shows an aging creative comedic buddy team rife with old hurts but still having the "it" to entertain. Ralph's review is spot on. This movie is one of the best stories out there and will endear all viewers. Rent Stan and Ollie.

Greetings,

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 21 Old 06-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It's important to point out that the central conflict that comes to a head near the end of the film didn't really happen, at least according to virtually all of the hard-core buffs & experts on the boys. The incident that allegedly caused the problem did in fact happen, but as Hardy was under contract to Hal Roach and Stan wasn't it was not considered a betrayal at all. ( Roach kept the team under separate contracts throughout the years until Stan finally realized there was solidarity in riding the two contracts out so they could bargain as a team.)
Ralph Potts and shivaji like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page