• 1 Post By shivaji

post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 5649
Vice Blu-ray Review

The story of Dick Cheney, an unassuming bureaucratic Washington insider, who quietly wielded immense power as Vice President to George W. Bush, reshaping the country and the globe in ways that we still feel today. Check out Ralph Potts’ Blu-ray review of Vice.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Steve Carell, Sam Rockwell, Alison Pill, Jesse Plemons
Written & Directed by: Adam McKay
Music by: Nicholas Britell
Region Code: A

Release Date: April 2, 2019

"Beware the Quiet Man"

Synopsis:

“Nominated for 8 ACADEMY AWARDS®*, including Best Picture, Vice stars Christian Bale in his Oscar-nominated role as Dick Cheney in this epic tale of how a bureaucratic Washington insider quietly became the most powerful man in the world.” – 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

My Take:

In Vice Governor George W Bush of Texas picks Dick Cheney, the CEO of Halliburton Co, to be his Republican running mate in the 2000 presidential election. No stranger to politics, Cheney's impressive résumé includes stints as White House chief of staff, House Minority Whip and defense secretary. When Bush wins by a narrow margin, Cheney begins to use his newfound power to help reshape the country and the world.

Wow. I took Vice in at the theater and found it to be an engrossing film experience. Writer/director Adam McKay’s penchant for storytelling is up front and center here. The flavorful tonal shifts are nearly perfectly executed across the board. Political dramas/biopics can be hit or miss with me. Obviously, I know who Dick Cheney is but, knew little about who he was before becoming G.W. Bush’s running mate in 2000. Now, let’s not kid ourselves, Vice isn’t intended to be a straight up biopic aimed at portraying the life and times of a political figure and the behind the scenes dealings that are associated with it.

What it is intended to be is light satire, with elements that are accurate and, some that are distorted, in order to make it more interesting from a storytelling perspective. Fact checking the film’s depiction of Cheney’s role in the historical proceedings contained therein reveals liberties taken in furtherance of this, which I was okay with. In general, most of the key bullet points within the plot are more or less accurate. For me, there were a few eye openers, as I didn’t really see Cheney in this light. Anyway, accuracy set aside, as a creative work, Vice is a home run.

There is an inventiveness to the storytelling that is matched by its historical significance. Highly dramatic at one turn and cleverly funny at the next, the somewhat scattershot narrative strikes a chord that rings true more often than not. Yes, the angle and agenda are up front and center but, knowing that is key to gleaning thee most from Vice. The cast is simply marvelous. Christian Bale, like him or not, knocks it out of the park. His performance is literally transformative. Had it not been for Rami Malek’s killer turn on Bohemian Rhapsody, Bale would have taken home the Academy Award. Amy Adams was nearly his equal and not only earned her Oscar Nomination but should have won.

Vice was nominated for 8 Academy Awards including Best Picture. It is justly deserving of the accolades bestowed upon it. I enjoyed it every bit as much during this second viewing as I did during the first. I can’t recommend it enough.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and some violent images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Vice comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent Blu-ray offering from Fox that looks terrific in high definition. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with pleasing primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The extensive palette of secondary hues featured in the story, appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds.

This is primarily a dialog driven film however there are elements in the film that require use of the entire system so its ability to clearly render them is essential. Dialog is reproduced with transparent realism and lucid texture as it is appropriately balanced within the front soundstage. The surround mix utilizes the entire platform to recreate the many acoustic sounds associated with the environments portrayed onscreen. The rear channels contain a mixture of spatial ambience/musical extension as well as directional panning cues that effectively support the front soundstage. This is an enriching audio presentation that mates well with the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Gaming the system: The Making of Vice
  • The Music of Power
  • Photo Gallery
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Nominated for 8 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Vice is a wonderfully crafted film that aims high in the depiction of both its subject and subject matter, hitting the target more often than not. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits and a fair supplemental package that looks behind the scenes. Vice is quality entertainment that deserves serious consideration for inclusion in the collections of film fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
Jive Turkey and shivaji like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
No cheeney fan here but if this movie even slightly pretends to be biopic or based on facts, than it should have come from someone with some credibility on this matter unlike mckay, or bale.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
No cheeney fan here but if this movie even slightly pretends to be biopic or based on facts, than it should have come from someone with some credibility on this matter unlike mckay, or bale.
This is from the guys that brought you 'The Big Short' which was a satire also. It's not a biopic.
shivaji and Hairsonfire like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
This is from the guys that brought you 'The Big Short' which was a satire also. It's not a biopic.
Big Short wasn't a satire, I guess some of the "talking to the audience to explain some stuff might qualifies,but as a whole nope not even close. but it was still watchable nonetheless. However some of the unhinged comments from Bale and McKay made sure that whatever fleeting interest I had in this movie, quickly evaporated, and I will just vote with my wallet. YMMV.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 04-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ralph,

Thx for the review. I like Christian Bale - he might be a little intense at times - his Batman was spot on. My Mother in Law called Cheney the 666. I am not sure yet, whether I want to see a portrayal of him or not. He and his buddies caused so much damage, which can be still experienced every day, that I have to be in the right mood to relive that c##p, if just to see the fantastic performance by CB.

Might have to wait until it's up on Netflix.

Cheers
post #6 of 14 Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
(snip)

and I will just vote with my valet.YMMV.
I dunno. My valet liked the movie.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I dunno. My valet liked the movie.
LOL oops.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

The Hun
post #8 of 14 Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp2 View Post
Ralph,

Thx for the review. I like Christian Bale - he might be a little intense at times - his Batman was spot on. My Mother in Law called Cheney the 666. I am not sure yet, whether I want to see a portrayal of him or not. He and his buddies caused so much damage, which can be still experienced every day, that I have to be in the right mood to relive that c##p, if just to see the fantastic performance by CB.

Might have to wait until it's up on Netflix.

Cheers
Just watched it. Recommended, if you aren't a fan of Neocons. Bale was amazing. Some might object to the movie, though, because it didn't depict Cheney as a 200 proof inhuman monster.

I congratulated myself for figuring out the role that Jesse Plemon's character (the narrator) had before it was revealed.
Spoiler!
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
I just watched this movie. i thought it very unique, scathing and interesting. I dug it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I just watched this movie. i thought it very unique, scathing and interesting. I dug it.
This is very clever and revealing political commentary. I wondered if anyone was paying attention. Cheney was ridiculous and scary as Vice President.

I hope they move on to a Trump movie.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #11 of 14 Old 05-19-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
This is very clever and revealing political commentary. I wondered if anyone was paying attention. Cheney was ridiculous and scary as Vice President.

I hope they move on to a Trump movie.
Careful. You may get dinged for a political post.

I think that no one would release a satirical film about Trump until he is out of office. That would be 2021 or 2025. I assume that repealing the 22nd Amendment (term limits) or conviction under impeachment won't happen.

On the other hand, Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanomo Bay was released in 2008, while Bush 43 was still in office. I doubt that W would have liked his portrayal. (Funny movie, in seriously bad taste.)
post #12 of 14 Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Careful. You may get dinged for a political post.

I think that no one would release a satirical film about Trump until he is out of office. That would be 2021 or 2025. I assume that repealing the 22nd Amendment (term limits) or conviction under impeachment won't happen.

On the other hand, Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanomo Bay was released in 2008, while Bush 43 was still in office. I doubt that W would have liked his portrayal. (Funny movie, in seriously bad taste.)
You are correct.

I will attempt to contain myself like Peter Sellers as Dr. Strangelove holding down his own arm so as not to reflexively throw a Nazi salute.

It is difficult to comment on a righteous political satire without becoming political. Cheney was developing a legal argument that the constitution gives the President the power to bypass Congress and act as a dictator. Beyond that Cheney a former CEO directed business to Halliburton and Halliburton doubled his retirement package.

However, I encourage everyone to stick to movie commentary and avoid politics which is contentious.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 05-20-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I rented this from Netflix based on trailer I seen. Overall, I enjoyed this movie.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Thought Bale was a bit cartoony in the way he spoke but as a satire i can accept it. Curious if Richard Dreyfuss was considered for the part, he actually bears a resemblance to Cheney.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page