Glass Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
  • 5 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 6 Post By Brajesh
  • 2 Post By tenthplanet
  • 2 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By trilkb
  • 1 Post By JimShaw
  • 3 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 2 Post By JimShaw
  • 1 Post By Franin
  • 2 Post By Gorilla Killa
  • 3 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By trilkb

post #1 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Glass Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Glass, Writer-Director M. Night Shyamalan’s comic book thriller that completes a mind-bending trilogy created nearly twenty years ago.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 129 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC: HDR10
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: James McAvoy, Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Anya Taylor-Joy, Sarah Paulson
Written & Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan
Music by: West Dylan Thordson
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: April 16, 2019

"You Cannot Contain What You Are"

Synopsis:

Glass offers a closer look at the world of the Elijah Price, also known as Mr. Glass (Jackson), David Dunn (Willis), and Kevin Wendell Crumb (McAvoy) as they experience a series of escalating encounters as they escape from an asylum and embark on a thrilling battle of good versus evil.” – Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass brings together the narratives of two of his original films — Unbreakable, and Split, in an all-new comic-book thriller. From Unbreakable, Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn as does Samuel L. Jackson as Elijah Price, known also by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Joining from Split are James McAvoy, reprising his role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities who reside within, and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast. Following the conclusion of Split, Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb’s superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.

So, I am a fan of both Unbreakable and Split. I was excited when I saw the integration of elements from Unbreakable at the end of Split and looked forward to seeing how M. Night Shyamalan would tie things together. My son saw Glass when it was in theaters and his lack of enthusiasm for it kept me from making the trip myself. As I sat and watched how Shyamalan’s patchwork came together in the first two acts of Glass I was fairly engaged and ultimately hopeful it would prove fulfilling, narratively speaking. This more or less continued into act three but, that was where the storyline takes an abrupt and odd turn via a series of revelatory elements that seemed feeble and not in keeping with the head of steam that began with the first two films and the potential started in this one.

M. Night Shyamalan’s passion for the subject matter and attempts at stimulating the audience with thoughts that provoke his conceptual design are evident but, incoherence suddenly takes a front seat, leaving what I consider to be the most interesting thing about all three films, to flounder. Truly, there are things to like about this film. Shyamalan’s eye for crafty camera work is spot on. There are several encounters/set pieces that are simply fun to watch and watching James McAvoy do his thing by handling the rapid personality changes is amazing.

Sadly, Glass just doesn’t live up to its potential and fails to fulfill the promise which began with Unbreakable. I can’t help but wonder what a differing third act would have yielded. Disappointing or not, Glass has something to offer those that enjoyed the narrative threads that span all three films and is worth seeing in that regard.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Glass comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Glass was derived from a 3.4K source, and rendered from a 4K DI. From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in this presentation. At times the image is nearly devoid of color, while at others, has a pleasingly diverse palate, that sets the mood of a scene. Shot digitally, the image has a smooth aesthetic, with clean delineation that draws out plenty of detail, in both close-up and wide-angle camera shots. Blacks are deep without compromise to fidelity, as the layers of detail seen with them is readily apparent. Contrast abounds as the richness of the depth seen in grays, whites and mid-tones pops in the film’s variety of low-level sequences. Fleshtones adhere to the film’s visual aesthetic and appear consistent throughout the presentation.

As I alluded to earlier Glass isn’t a predominantly colorful film however its cooler chromatic hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing warmer and pleasing to the eye. There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. I wasn't especially impressed with its application although some of that may be owed to the nature of the photography. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant but, none really stood out.

This Ultra HD rendering makes the most of the film’s elements, which are excellent. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid in its own right, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the most engaging viewing experience.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a blend of atmospherics and discrete effects. When applied it creates an appreciable level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. There are many instances, such as David’s warehouse encounter with The Beast, that show off the track’s thematic blend of music and, well placed object sounds that create a wonderfully involving listening experience, that broadens the soundstage. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere as well as the integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and drew me into the film when it mattered most.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Glass comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Framed at 2.39:1, images onscreen have excellent depth, and a stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Glass looks great on Blu-ray.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel (Atmos core) soundtrack has good dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. Discrete rear channel activity isn’t extensive however, the elements of action provide an enriching level of immersion which is punctuated by palpably rich bass. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this soundtrack as it augments the thematic tone of this film.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Glass Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Glass Blu-ray
    The Collection of Main Characters - A look at all the main players and how they fit in the universe created by filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.
    o David Dunn
    o Elijah Price
    o Kevin Wendell Crumb
    o The Rest of the Family
    • Bringing the Team Back Together - M. Night Shyamalan is famous for working with many of the same crew from film to film. In this piece, cast and crew share personal stories of why Shyamalan's productions feel like seeing family again.
    • David Dunn vs. The Beast - An in-depth look at the animalistic face-off between David Dunn and The Beast
    • Glass Decoded - M. Night Shyamalan unveils some secrets of continuity and style from across the Glass trilogy
    • Breaking Glass: The Stunts - The superhuman strength of The Beast is best illustrated in the stunts. Take a behind the scenes look into the very effective methods of executing stunts in the film.
    • Connecting the Glass Universe - Explore M. Night Shyamalan's stylistic approach to the Glass trilogy and the unconventional concept of a comic book movie grounded in reality.
    • M. Night Shyamalan: Behind the Lens - Cast and crew discuss Shyamalan's dedicated and meticulous approach to storytelling.
    • The Sound of Glass - Composer West Dylan Thordson elaborates on his use of string instruments to create tension, and explains why recording the score on-location enhanced the tone of Glass.
    • Enhancing the Spectacle - The VFX team provides details on the rewarding task of using CGI as an effective tool to intensify the narrative of Glass.
    • Raven Hill Memorial - Roam the long corridors of Raven Hill Memorial Hospital and see why the cast and crew describe the eerie location as its own character in the film.
    • Night Vision - A look at the early stages of Glass by examining the storyboards and their remarkable similarity to the final shots in the film.
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass brings together the narratives of two of his original films — Unbreakable, and Split, in an all-new comic-book thriller. Sadly, it just doesn’t live up to its potential and fails to fulfill the promise which began 19 years ago with Unbreakable. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack featuring excellent overall image quality, terrific lossless surround sound, including an invigorating Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix and, a worthwhile assortment of bonus materials. Despite being somewhat disappointed in Glass I think it deserves consideration for a place in the collections of diehard series fans. Give it a rent on Blu-ray and decide for yourself.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 04-08-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Thanks for the review Ralph! I am definitely picking this up next week.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 04-08-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: No Need to Quote the Entire Review
post #3 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 286
His films are a hit-and-miss, but at least M. Night takes risks and tries to innovate.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2818
Thanks for the review Ralph The film is not perfect, but I loved Samuel Jackson as Glass. His performance just got creepier as the film went along.
Ralph Potts and Xavier3 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Glass is one of the most profoundly disappointing movies I’ve ever watched. I love Unbreakable. I like Split. I did not like Glass whatsoever.

I think the biggest shortcoming is that Shyamalan is too in love with his signature cliche flowchart twist endings. That twist at the end of Glass (no spoilers) was so ridiculous that people in the theater either laughed or looked at each other in confusion. He shoehorns these ludicrous twists in like Michael Bay shoehorns in half naked girls and racial jokes because he thinks it’s his “thing.”

The problem with Shyamalan is that he bought into the premature “next Spielberg” hype early in his career and has not stopped believing it.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch

Last edited by GalvatronType_R; 04-08-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
totally agree Ralph, the third act just sank, and there was no coming back from that. Shame! Great score though, very much appropriate to the film.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I loved the action sequence outside the asylum/hospital. It was so Anti-Marvel/DC. Where Marvel/DC movies are full of thousands of CGI people fighting and buildings/cars/trucks crashing, flying and crumbling, it was refreshing to see a action scene between 2 'superheros' but with some realistic and believable 'limits'.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2

Last edited by nonstopdoc1; 04-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Glass is one of the most profoundly disappointing movies I’ve ever watched. I love Unbreakable. I like Split. I did not like Glass whatsoever.

I think the biggest shortcoming is that Shyamalan is too in love with his signature cliche flowchart twist endings. That twist at the end of Glass (no spoilers) was so ridiculous that people in the theater either laughed or looked at each other in confusion. He shoehorns these ludicrous twists in like Michael Bay shoehorns in half naked girls and racial jokes because he thinks it’s his “thing.”

The problem with Shyamalan is that he bought into the premature “next Spielberg” hype early in his career and has not stopped believing it.
I forgot what the twist was, or I missed it.

But in the heaps of crap that came out in the theaters when this was out, this one really made me leave with a feeling of watching a good movie. It was the first of the series I ever saw. I watched Unbreakable a week later and I found it good but not as good as Glass. Split Im still on the edge about seeing, Im sensitive to movies that involve hurting people for no reason and I feel like it'll leave me messed up for a day or two lol.

Shoot, I liked this movie more than captian marvel or infinity war. Not knowing about the other 2 movies I didnt have anything to compare it too, the fact that while watching it there was a "possibility" of them being super human, but then someone questioning all that at the same time made for a good story to me.

I didnt quite get the whole movie, but I was not disappointed, its some thing that reminded me a bit of Shutter Island.
Xavier3 likes this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 736
The problem for this guy is that Sixth Sense was so incredible, it's impossible to match that level of surprise and brilliance again.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Anyone know if there will be a trilogy boxset with Unbreakable/Split/Glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
The problem for this guy is that Sixth Sense was so incredible, it's impossible to match that level of surprise and brilliance again.
The car scene with Cole and his mom is cinematic excellence. Never in a thriller would you expect a scene that late in the film's development to carry so much emotional weight, purely with words.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #11 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

He only did IMHO, two movies that were of note. Sixth Sense was fantastic and extremely unsettling and yet heartfelt with some genuine warmth between the kid and his shrink. Bruce Willis was finally acting with some finesse and a depth of range. Unbreakable was a little harder to get around, but once you went with his unique world building style, it pretty much worked.

Then M. Night took a hard tumble down the rabbit hole.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Excellent review

Generally I do as you suggest, in this case, rent.

But because I have Unbreakable and Split, I have to complete the two by adding the third, Glass

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #13 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this yet. It's sitting on my desk but binge watching Game of Thrones for the third time in anticipation of it's climatic season has been distracting me
TravisPNW, ahblaza and Ralph Potts like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #14 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
He only did IMHO, two movies that were of note. Sixth Sense was fantastic and extremely unsettling and yet heartfelt with some genuine warmth between the kid and his shrink. Bruce Willis was finally acting with some finesse and a depth of range. Unbreakable was a little harder to get around, but once you went with his unique world building style, it pretty much worked.

Then M. Night took a hard tumble down the rabbit hole.
Don't shoot me, but I didn't hate The Village either. Kind of saw where it was going, but still not all that bad.

Sixth Sense was brilliant in that it was SCREAMING at you the whole time what was really going on, and nobody got it. No tricks really. It was trying to tell you over and over in a dozen scenes, and yet we were still surprised at the end.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #15 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

The car scene with Cole and his mom is cinematic excellence. Never in a thriller would you expect a scene that late in the film's development to carry so much emotional weight, purely with words.
Amazing. The dinner scene was great, too.

post #16 of 21 Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this yet. It's sitting on my desk but binge watching Game of Thrones for the third time in anticipation of it's climatic season has been distracting me
That is exactly what my wife and I will be doing as soon as I learn when Season 8 will be going to retail. Starting Season 1, Episode 1

ahblaza and Dave Vaughn like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #17 of 21 Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Will be picking this up thanks Ralph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #18 of 21 Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Quote:
Series cant be over soon enough...why you ask. Season 1 on uhd is not cutting it and I want the full set in UHD HDR, Dragons, Death and boobs in all its glory.
Dave Vaughn and GunmetalR56 like this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #19 of 21 Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
I forgot what the twist was, or I missed it.

...Split Im still on the edge about seeing, Im sensitive to movies that involve hurting people for no reason and I feel like it'll leave me messed up for a day or two lol.
I am like you in that regard. I HATE movies where actual people hurt actual real people (don't have a problem with aliens or werewolves tearing people up cause it is fake).

I put off watching it for a long time but when I did finally see Split it did not bother me like a horror/slasher would. I think you may be fine viewing Split, it was an incredible movie IMHO. Jame Macolvoy did a fantastic job!!!

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #20 of 21 Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Series cant be over soon enough...why you ask. Season 1 on uhd is not cutting it and I want the full set in UHD HDR, Dragons, Death and boobs in all its glory.

Don't know if I agree about the UHD. I'm a new GoT viewer and got the BD box set for $75 on BF and it's pretty much the best looking BD content I've seen on my calibrated OLED. I think it was here that a user said the BD set is so good that it's not a surprise the season 1 UHD didn't score as high.

At any rate, I'm not running out to buy the S1 UHD and probably wouldn't even if all were available. They DO look that good... and the missing HDR isn't a huge concern given there is so much dark gorgeous blacks content. I finished S7 a few days ago... just in time for S8 premiere last night.

Now back to this thread... looking forward to Glass. It arrives tomorrow and will be added to the watch list. Thanks for the review Ralph!

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #21 of 21 Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Just watched split. Almost cried a few times, life can be rough from various out looks. I think they captured that well. Especially at the end.

I can see now why people think glass is a let down. Split set up a movie that had to be very involved to follow it and do well. I'm glad I watched it. Really felt a connection to the characters.
Ralph Potts likes this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page