The Karate Kid: 35th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 4 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By Roudan
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 3 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By Roudan
  • 2 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By Manni01
  • 1 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By djoberg

post #1 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 5523
The Karate Kid: 35th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD debut of this coming-of-age classic — from Academy Award®-winning director John G. Avildsen — that is celebrating its 35th Anniversary.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1984
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 127 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC - HDR10
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Ralph Maccio, Noriyuki “Pat” Morita, Elizabeth Shue, Martin Kove, William Zabka
Directed by: John G. Avildsen
Music by: Bill Conti
Written by: Robert Mark Kamen
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: April 16, 2019

"Karate Lies in the Heart and Mind. Not in the Hands"

Synopsis:

“Celebrate the 35th anniversary of the coming-of-age classic — from Academy Award®-winning director (1976, Rocky) John G. Avildsen — that will leave you cheering! There is more to karate than fighting. This is the lesson that Daniel (Ralph Macchio), a San Fernando Valley teenager, is about to learn from a most unexpected teacher: Mr. Miyagi (Noriyuki "Pat " Morita in his Academy Award®-nominated performance [Best Supporting Actor, 1984]), an elderly handyman who also happens to be a master of the martial arts. His training and these vital lessons will be called into play when an outmatched Daniel faces Johnny, the skilled leader of the Cobra Kai — a vicious gang of karate school bullies — in a no-holds-barred karate tournament for the championship of the Valley.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

I reviewed The Karate Kid when it released on Blu-ray in 2010 and have included comments from that review here. The rating for the film is the same. New ratings for the Ultra HD video, Dolby Atmos mix and new bonus content are contained below.

I saw The Karate Kid in the theater when it was originally released back in 1984. I remember thinking at the time that the name sounded juvenile and perhaps a little corny. That changed after I saw it. I was twenty years old and easily connected with the archetypes featured in the story. Being someone that likes to root for the underdog Daniel Larusso was both sympathetic and likeable. He had a tough row to hoe being raised by a single parent, moving away from his life/friends and ending up in a place with a new set of rules that required learning via trial by fire. Unfortunately for him this comes in the form or running afoul of a group of hard cases from the Valley that love to practice the teachings of their Cobra Kai Karate Dojo sensei John Kreese which is simple, “an enemy deserves no mercy”. The problem is that these impressionable nimrods have no inkling what the term enemy means and decide that currently Daniel fits the bill. Of course, not all the blame rests with sensei Kreese as the five bullies, led by Johnny, love to inflict pain on poor Daniel.

The turning point for Daniel not only in this situation but, in his life is when he meets Mr. Miyagi, the maintenance man at his apartment complex. Mr. Miyagi and Daniel become acquainted when he fixes Daniels bike after it is damaged by a run in with the Cobra Kai. It isn’t until Mr. Miyagi steps in to save Daniel from a severe beating that he discovers that Mr. Miyagi knows Karate. Daniel convinces Mr. Miyagi to train him, which results in his entry in a local Karate tournament in which the members of the Cobra Kai are competing. Daniel will quickly need to absorb the teachings of Mr. Miyagi through rather unorthodox means if he is to qualify. He will ultimately come to understand that Karate is in the heart and the mind, not in the hands.

The Karate Kid is popular among fans for its uplifting story, thematic strength, and memorable characters in Daniel Larusso and Mr. Miyagi. It has a timeless appeal that I was glad to be able to share with my own children. Its release on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment allows fans the opportunity to enjoy it looking and sounding better than ever

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, teen violence, brief language and bullying.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Karate Kid comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

The Karate Kid recently underwent a 4K re-mastering and its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray was derived from that process.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. The Karate Kid has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

Looking at the film's opening moments in New Jersey and upon their arrival in California, the improvement in depth and delineation is noticeable but, not staggering. Things do get better though. Grain is intact, occasionally rising to more obvious levels but, never to a distracting point. The Karate Kid isn’t an overtly bright film, although there are bright elements. The cinematography benefitted from the enhanced resolution and warmer chromatic accents. In many respects, the image is emboldened with a discernible boost to definition. While the increase in resolution isn't always on display, I believe that this is innate to the photography. The wide-angle shots that take place at the Mr. Miyagi’s compound, the beach and during the tournament looked great.

Color reproduction benefited from the wider color gamut, especially blues, and reds which pop nicely. High dynamic range added a tangible visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. Its application is appropriately applied here, keeping within the boundaries of the film’s cinematography and visual aesthetic. Hands down, this is the best The Karate Kid has looked on home video. Kudos to Sony for giving this the treatment it deserves. Hopefully we can expect continued support of the Ultra HD releases from their extensive catalog.

Dolby Atmos:

The new Dolby Atmos mix uses the entire platform so as to broaden the soundstage. This includes off camera sounds and low-level ambience. The music is mixed over the sound field, adding natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the film’s thematic details. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized. I appreciated the fact that the sound designers didn't go overboard with the freedom of object versus channel- based mixing. The soundtrack retains much of its original essence with the Atmos mix adding a noticeable increase in scope.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Karate Kid Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The Karate Kid Blu-ray
     ALL-NEW: “Remembering The Karate Kid” – featuring new interviews with Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove (on the 4K UHD disc)
     “Blu-Pop™” Pop-Up Track – Activate the Blu-Pop feature to reveal pop-up trivia, interviews and more secrets from the film!
     Commentary with Director John G. Avildsen, Writer Robert Mark Kamen and Actors Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita
     “The Way of the Karate Kid” Multi-Part Making-of Featurette
     “Beyond the Form” Featurette
     “East Meets West: A Composer’s Notebook”
     “Life of Bonsai” Featurette
     Theatrical Trailer (on the 4K UHD disc)
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Karate Kid is popular among fans for its uplifting story, thematic strength, and memorable characters in Daniel Larusso and Mr. Miyagi. It has a timeless appeal that transcends generational boundaries. It’s making its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment that features beautifully restored Ultra HD video, a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and new and legacy bonus content. If you’re a fan and are equipped to take advantage of the upgrades this release is highly recommended. If you aren’t, and already own the previous release, the decision to upgrade for the additional features/restored video will depend on how important that is to you.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Ah, you did good, Ralph-san. Very good.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #3 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 704
One of my favorites... arrived today.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Sounds like one to pick up! Here’s to hoping part 2 gets the same treatment. Also makes me want to watch the new Youtube series.

Pioneer SC-95, 2x Crown XLS 1000 (LCR amps)
3x Epos Epic 2(LCR), 4x Emotiva UAW 6.2(Surrounds), 4x Aperion Intimus LC-I6(Atmos/DTS:X)
2x Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Thinking about part 2 also reminds me of the following: a number of years ago, my wife and I invited my brother over for dinner. He hung out in the kitchen and chatted while we cooked. At some point I spilled something on my shirt. Recalling our shared affinity for part 2, I took my shirt off and tossed it at my brother’s face, arrogantly proclaiming in my best Chozen accent, “You keep for your collection. I know you like, eh?!”

My brother immediately caught the reference and burst laughing. My wife, not familiar with the movie, looked on in awkward, confused silence.....which of course made it all the more hilarious.

Pioneer SC-95, 2x Crown XLS 1000 (LCR amps)
3x Epos Epic 2(LCR), 4x Emotiva UAW 6.2(Surrounds), 4x Aperion Intimus LC-I6(Atmos/DTS:X)
2x Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
thanks Ralph, will pick it up today.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 599
DNR-wax off!

I'm glad to hear this got a quality transfer. I still wish it was a 2-pack with KKII. I love the Okinawa Island (Oahu) locale, the beautiful Kumiko, and the story of reconciliation with Sato. I was always a fan of the antagonist (Chozen) too. Maybe I just like campier/cheesier movies.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 3339
35 year anniversary?!? I feel old now.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Seems no one in Canada is selling it, no Best Buy no Amazon
Tornado Red likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Seems no one in Canada is selling it, no Best Buy no Amazon
Order from Amazon U.S., Amazon is really good about international shipping. People in the U.S. will order things from Amazon CA also.
Ralph Potts and Roudan like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11 of 20 Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Are you allowed to post any screenshots? Would be nice to see a few shots as comparison.

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #12 of 20 Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wax on wax off
post #13 of 20 Old 04-24-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 5310 Post(s)
Liked: 5303
Thanks for the review Ralph, can't wait to re-watch this one on UHD Bluray. Nice to see that Sony did Atmos on that "oldie", and in a respectful way apparently.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #14 of 20 Old 04-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cobrai Kai has made me interested in this one again lol.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
I'm definitely a fan and your review makes it sound like a no-brainer! Thanks again Ralph for helping to drain my wallet!!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #16 of 20 Old 04-29-2019, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I'm definitely a fan and your review makes it sound like a no-brainer! Thanks again Ralph for helping to drain my wallet!!

Greetings,

Any time Denny..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 20 Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Order from Amazon U.S., Amazon is really good about international shipping. People in the U.S. will order things from Amazon CA also.
Things like discs are not quite the deal they used to be ordering from Amazon.com for delivery north of the 49th. With our dollar being what it is and 'import fees' now, The Karate Kid 4K balloons from almost $20 US to about $42 CDN delivered, too steep for me unfortunately.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-29-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I was not impressed. It really seemed like the first 15 minutes they didn't do anything and was a poor 1080 transfer. It got better as the movie went on. The one scene where Myagi and Daniel are practicing next to the truck at sunset looked great, but still felt they couldn't get it as great as they could have
post #19 of 20 Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
The credits are rolling! It was great watching this CLASSIC in what is no doubt the best presentation one can expect from this 1984 film. I remember "back in the day" watching the DVD version which was far from perfect, and then the Blu-ray release in 2010 which was a definite improvement. The 4K release takes it up a couple of notches, especially the colors and contrast.

Thanks again Ralph for your excellent review which prompted me to order this. I can't wait to show it to my grandchildren!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #20 of 20 Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The credits are rolling! It was great watching this CLASSIC in what is no doubt the best presentation one can expect from this 1984 film. I remember "back in the day" watching the DVD version which was far from perfect, and then the Blu-ray release in 2010 which was a definite improvement. The 4K release takes it up a couple of notches, especially the colors and contrast.

Thanks again Ralph for your excellent review which prompted me to order this. I can't wait to show it to my grandchildren!

Greetings,

Awesome Denny! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page