Alien: 40th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #31 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Watched this last night. Absolutely stunning. 100 video score is well deserved.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ralph,
Just a quick comment... looked at various scenes on our original DVD release and our original Blu-ray release via our OPPO-203 and LG 55-inch OLED C8PU, compared to this current new Blu-ray release. Significant improvement and really stunning differences in this latest release. Certainly well worth the cost of the new Blu-ray in our opinion.
FWIW,
-Rod
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.
post #33 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...4299/picture:4

Is this the color timing difference you guys are seeing ?

Art

i read somewhere that talked about this and how they fixed the color timing and made sure the transfer matched the theatrical experience. if u pm me i will send u a link.

Great review Ralph. I have the Steelbook at home waiting for me to watch tonight!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #35 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c 2 View Post
In addition to what Nathanandrew already said, the difference in bitrate/quality also translate to internet data usage. It is more exception than norm a US ISP doesn't have a monthly data cap on internet services, 1T for gigabyte internet is fairly common (I'm speaking direct to you, comcast/xfinity). a 4K digital movie takes roughly 20G of data usage, and 1T cap seems large enough to cover for most people, and I'd agree, but for a family of decent size with multiple streaming devices, the data stream can flow pretty quickly.

this situation might not apply to you specifically, but it is A CERTAINTY with physical disc, you NEVER HAVE TO wonder "can I watch my favorite movie (that I own, btw) one more time this month without going over my monthly data cap and get slammed with over-charge fees? Do I have to put that beer back in the fridge?"
Ain't that the truth.

Here in Seattle metro I have a 1TB cap (thank you Comcast) and the kids and their YouTube combined with my home security video system exceeds that every month. If you go over 1 TB it's $10 for every 50GB... or pay $50 for unlimited which I recently switched to.

I haven't spent a nickel on digital streaming either... LOL... my entire library shown in my sig is physical disc.

I keep hearing about streaming taking over someday... and the ISPs are no doubt licking their chops at how much money they will make in data fees. I really don't care about the money... if streaming were better I'd do it... but it's not and will never be better than a physical disc.
RagtopFE and ian c 2 like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #36 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like I'm the same age as Ralph. My friend's dad took us to see this movie in a theater with, at that time, top of the line specs...70 millimeter film and 6-track sound. It scared the hell out of me.
I was looking over my shoulder walking the half-block home from my friend's house afterwards and slept with my closet light on for 2 weeks.
post #37 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This new remaster looks phenomenal to me. I'm used to the most recent Blu Ray disc, and even watching on an SDR 4K screen, the improvement in picture quality is dramatic.

The most noticeable shot to me is in the egg cave under the Space Jockey's room, when the blue laser light shines directly into the camera. On the Blu Ray, it's really oversaturated and totally blown out. On 4K, it's controlled and smoothly graded. Speaking of that, a couple of wide shots in the Space Jockey's room are way oversaturated on the Blu Ray but nicely modulated on 4K.

Not to mention the subtle but significant overall improvements in detail with smoke and atmospherics, light glints, etc., throughout the film. I can't wait to check this out in HDR soon.
Ralph Potts, G-Rex and tenthplanet like this.
post #38 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Ralph- you mentioned the importance of this movie in American Film- but it was shot in the UK by a British Director? I've always considered this a British picture...?

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
post #39 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5444 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
thanks Ralph for the review! I still have the 'special wide screen collectors edition' laserdisc version with the very cool inset..

We watched it last night (director's cut), it was awesome on the RS600 in the velvet abyss!
post #40 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Ain't that the truth.

Here in Seattle metro I have a 1TB cap (thank you Comcast) and the kids and their YouTube combined with my home security video system exceeds that every month. If you go over 1 TB it's $10 for every 50GB... or pay $50 for unlimited which I recently switched to.

I haven't spent a nickel on digital streaming either... LOL... my entire library shown in my sig is physical disc.

I keep hearing about streaming taking over someday... and the ISPs are no doubt licking their chops at how much money they will make in data fees. I really don't care about the money... if streaming were better I'd do it... but it's not and will never be better than a physical disc.

If I had to pay $50 in addition to my $140 monthly bill for a meticulously managed 1TB gigabit plan...I might as well extend my ethernet connection to my neighbors and share the bill together. I don't see streaming developing into where we want them to be, because ISPs are going to bottleneck the hell out of it, they've created a very comfortable monopoly positions for themselves, they have zero incentive to compete for our money by improving services and lowering costs but to bill us higher and higher charges, 8K content in the future? the amount of data required? lol, forget about it.
TravisPNW likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #41 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Which version is better to watch? Director cut? Thx
post #42 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6241
Quote:
In addition to what Nathanandrew already said, the difference in bitrate/quality also translate to internet data usage. It is more exception than norm a US ISP doesn't have a monthly data cap on internet services, 1T for gigabyte internet is fairly common (I'm speaking direct to you, comcast/xfinity). a 4K digital movie takes roughly 20G of data usage, and 1T cap seems large enough to cover for most people, and I'd agree, but for a family of decent size with multiple streaming devices, the data stream can flow pretty quickly.

this situation might not apply to you specifically, but it is A CERTAINTY with physical disc, you NEVER HAVE TO wonder "can I watch my favorite movie (that I own, btw) one more time this month without going over my monthly data cap and get slammed with over-charge fees? Do I have to put that beer back in the fridge?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
If I had to pay $50 in addition to my $140 monthly bill for a meticulously managed 1TB gigabit plan...I might as well extend my ethernet connection to my neighbors and share the bill together. I don't see streaming developing into where we want them to be, because ISPs are going to bottleneck the hell out of it, they've created a very comfortable monopoly positions for themselves, they have zero incentive to compete for our money by improving services and lowering costs but to bill us higher and higher charges, 8K content in the future? the amount of data required? lol, forget about it.

Greetings,

Lets keep the topic of the discussion on track gents. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #43 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I wish more film transfers looked as good as this or Blade Runner. I remember reading the dinner scene no one knew what was going to happen except a few people. It's been quite awhile since I've seen, but the look on Dallas' face looks quite genuine
I just ordered this today.

Regarding the dinner scene, I went to see this in the theater when it came out with a high school buddy, who'd already seen it. I warned him NOT to say anything to me that would spoil the film. I vividly remember him uttering "ut-oh" right before the big moment! I never saw THAT coming, so it didn't ruin anything. Too funny.

Spoiler!
post #44 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Gents, the voice and sound doesn’t synchronized in the director cut after 15 minutes. Do you guys have the same issue? Which version is better in terms of video? Director cut or theater version?

Last edited by Roudan; 04-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #45 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Gents, the voice and sound doesn’t synchronized in the director cut after 15 minutes. Do you guys have the same issue? Which version is better in terms of video? Director cut or theater version?
The UHD release uses complex seamless branching to stitch together both versions of the film, so its more or less the same video in both.
This may also be contributing to your A-V sync issue. Try pausing or RW and re-starting to see if it fixes it.
post #46 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
Looks like I'm the same age as Ralph. My friend's dad took us to see this movie in a theater with, at that time, top of the line specs...70 millimeter film and 6-track sound. It scared the hell out of me.
I was looking over my shoulder walking the half-block home from my friend's house afterwards and slept with my closet light on for 2 weeks.
Sometimes that R rating isn't just about profanity, sex, and violence. It's for intense scary things. Good thing it's wasn't Halloween, that one is good for keeping the closet light on for a month.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #47 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
I just ordered this today.

Regarding the dinner scene, I went to see this in the theater when it came out with a high school buddy, who'd already seen it. I warned him NOT to say anything to me that would spoil the film. I vividly remember him uttering "ut-oh" right before the big moment! I never saw THAT coming, so it didn't ruin anything. Too funny.
That dinner scene has been used by guys to freak out girls for years (it still may). You may know the drill.. it's a sci-fi movie, not a horror movie and then.....
RagtopFE likes this.

post #48 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
The UHD release uses complex seamless branching to stitch together both versions of the film, so its more or less the same video in both.
This may also be contributing to your A-V sync issue. Try pausing or RW and re-starting to see if it fixes it.
Thx rdgrimes. Yes I restarted it and the issues went away. Thx
post #49 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks Ralph for the review! I still have the 'special wide screen collectors edition' laserdisc version with the very cool inset..

We watched it last night (director's cut), it was awesome on the RS600 in the velvet abyss!
"Velvet abyss" true home theater words of bliss.
zombie10k likes this.

post #50 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph Usually I wait for prices to drop on catalog titles but this one is down already, will probably cave and order,,the next 48 hours be will telling.
As THO in the horror thread would say: "He caved" I was buying some coffee pods on Amazon and thought how many times have you seen prices on discs go back up ? So Sumatran and 4K Alien on the way.

post #51 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which version is better to watch? Director cut? Thx
If you've read the novel you'll want to watch the directors cut at some point. I would still watch the theatrical first.
Roudan likes this.

post #52 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Yeah, but it is so LIT that it's now FIRE. haha

Isn't that like being so COOL that you're ICE COLD?
Let me consult..So guys cool ? /Cool/ Borderline but cool/ Cool / Yeeeea cool/ Kool/ Cool dude / So agreement, are we cool with that, ICE Cold ! OK Nathan ICE COLD it is.
nathanddrews likes this.

post #53 of 77 Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I remember a Christmas where we couldn't get the relatives together and I had a rental copy of the laserdisc.(The CAV set was 100 dollars, so I had to rent it) Spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day going through film and most of special features (there were a ton of them). One of the better Christmas's I've had.

post #54 of 77 Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5444 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
Quote:
I remember a Christmas where we couldn't get the relatives together and I had a rental copy of the laserdisc.(The CAV set was 100 dollars, so I had to rent it) Spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day going through film and most of special features (there were a ton of them). One of the better Christmas's I've had.
great story! since I had the disc out for the photo, I had to bring out the Pioneer CLD-99 to give the Alien laserdisc a quick look.

All I can is we are veryyyy lucky to have Bluray and UHD releases of these classic movies.
G-Rex and tenthplanet like this.
post #55 of 77 Old 04-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
great story! since I had the disc out for the photo, I had to bring out the Pioneer CLD-99 to give the Alien laserdisc a quick look.

All I can is we are veryyyy lucky to have Bluray and UHD releases of these classic movies.

Ahh....the much vaunted Elite...always wished I had one of those back in the day.

I do have a CLD 925 laserdisc player and regularly hook it up to my Panasonic ae2000.
Also have that 1992 laserdisc first release of Alien(all 5 CAV discs).

I do like the grain structure(if not the effective resolution or color reproduction---by todays standards) of the image of a well mastered laserdisc like Alien.
The 1986/87 Japanese special collectors edition of the star wars trilogy(also a first widescreen release) have that same natural grainy structure that is present on the Alien discs.

Even in our current HD/UHD era of high resolution /wide colour gamut and HDR there is a small niche crowd out there(I consider myself one of them) who get more of a kick watching old transfers with all their inherent grain, dirt, speckles and optical anomalies than watching the latest cleaned up remaster which is devoid of all that analogue goodness

Will still be picking up my Alien UHD at some point later this week.....and letting my rs600 weave it's magic on all those dark scenes.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 04-28-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #56 of 77 Old 04-28-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The CLD-99, I remember that everyone who saw this wanted one, along with the big Elite rear projection it was sitting on top of in the store.

post #57 of 77 Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Ahh....the much vaunted Elite...always wished I had one of those back in the day.

I do have a CLD 925 laserdisc player and regularly hook it up to my Panasonic ae2000.
Also have that 1992 laserdisc first release of Alien(all 5 CAV discs).

I do like the grain structure(if not the effective resolution or color reproduction---by todays standards) of the image of a well mastered laserdisc like Alien.
The 1986/87 Japanese special collectors edition of the star wars trilogy(also a first widescreen release) have that same natural grainy structure that is present on the Alien discs.

Even in our current HD/UHD era of high resolution /wide colour gamut and HDR there is a small niche crowd out there(I consider myself one of them) who get more of a kick watching old transfers with all their inherent grain, dirt, speckles and optical anomalies than watching the latest cleaned up remaster which is devoid of all that analogue goodness

Will still be picking up my Alien UHD at some point later this week.....and letting my rs600 weave it's magic on all those dark scenes.
There are some blu-rays like that, and the way people complain.... It's like audio, do you want it to sound good or do you want the truth. I prefer truth.

post #58 of 77 Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
There are some blu-rays like that, and the way people complain.... It's like audio, do you want it to sound good or do you want the truth. I prefer truth.
That is a good question.

The laserdisc transfers feature all the original dirt, speckles , weave, sprocket splices and other optical discrepancies that featured on any 35/70mm theatrical print.

The blu ray(or/and UHD) offers(and quite frankly exceeds) the resolution of said theatrical prints.

But the UHD/HD are devoid of all those dirt and speckles ect ect ……..that were part of the theatrical experience(irrespective of whatever the directors intended).

So that is why there is a growing legion of cinephiles out there who are now rediscovering how those old laserdiscs give a finer sensation(not representation) of what those theatrical experiences were like.

Less can be more
tenthplanet likes this.
post #59 of 77 Old 04-30-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
That is a good question.

The laserdisc transfers feature all the original dirt, speckles , weave, sprocket splices and other optical discrepancies that featured on any 35/70mm theatrical print.

The blu ray(or/and UHD) offers(and quite frankly exceeds) the resolution of said theatrical prints.

But the UHD/HD are devoid of all those dirt and speckles ect ect ……..that were part of the theatrical experience(irrespective of whatever the directors intended).

So that is why there is a growing legion of cinephiles out there who are now rediscovering how those old laserdiscs give a finer sensation(not representation) of what those theatrical experiences were like.

Less can be more
And it what point do you pass from "It's feels like a movie" vs. It's really good video but it feels like a giant computer monitor.

post #60 of 77 Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As THO in the horror thread would say: "He caved" I was buying some coffee pods on Amazon and thought how many times have you seen prices on discs go back up ? So Sumatran and 4K Alien on the way.
It's here . (the coffee is pretty good too)
RagtopFE likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page