Alien: 40th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #61 of 75 Old 05-01-2019, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
And it what point do yo u pass from "It's feels like a movie" vs. It's really good video but it feels like a giant computer monitor.

In Alien the scene at the beginning when John Hurt rises from his incubation pod features a series of optical dissolves.

The 1992 laserdisc shows all the dirt and grain that were "baked in" to those dissolves because that was part of the photochemical work flow of the period. Whether Ridley Scott wanted that dirt there or not(he obviously did not)is irrelevant …….…..that is what he got and that is what audiences saw in 1979.

Scrub that dirt out(digitally) and you deprive modern viewers of what audiences saw back in the day on the big screen.

Star Trek The Motion Picture(released the same year as Alien) features a shot that has the USS Enterprise flying past Jupiter.

The 2001 special edition DVD and the Blu ray(released in 2009) used digital scrubbing and DNR to wipe clean all the dirt that was baked into that shot that is represented faithfully on the 1991 widescreen laserdisc.

In Superman The Movie(released in 1978) there is a shot where Supes flies into the clouds and atmosphere to commence turning back the world. Again, the 1991 laserdisc shows all the beautiful grain and dirt that was baked into those shots. No filtering, no digital manipulation.

The 2001 and 2006 DVDs, the 2011 blu ray and the 2018 UHD for Superman The Movie have scrubbed that shot clean.

Yes it looks objectively sharper and cleaner......it also looks unnatural and is not representative of what audiences saw back in the day...…. and the list goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought the film was very dated. And, I was not particularly impressed with the image quality. I gave it about 15 minutes and turned to something else. All the smoking was very odd to see these days.
post #63 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairsonfire View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought the film was very dated. And, I was not particularly impressed with the image quality. I gave it about 15 minutes and turned to something else. All the smoking was very odd to see these days.
Wow! You turned something else on after watching this classic for 15 minutes? Dismissing this timeless classic film to watch something else simply means Sci Fi horror is not for you. This film should not be missed by anyone who remotely is a sci buff and can handle the gloriously tense atmosphere. The transfer looks beautiful, especially in light of its age.

Last edited by G-Rex; 05-08-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

What display were you using to view this on?

It looks fantastic on my 120" 4K laser PJ setup. There is so much more detail and clarity in the ship's interiors, etc. It was shot on film so there will naturally be some grain, but I found it very subdued and never interfered with my engagement.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #65 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Wow! You turned something else on after watching this classic for 15 minutes? Dismissing this timeless classic film to watch something else simply means Sci Fi horror is not for you. This film should not be missed by anyone who remotely is a sci buff and can handle the gloriously tense atmosphere. The transfer looks beautiful, especially in light of its age.
I watch a lot of movies and if a film does not "click" with me in the first fifteen minutes I just find it very difficult to continue. No disrespect to this movie, just my personal experience.
post #66 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
What display were you using to view this on?

It looks fantastic on my 120" 4K laser PJ setup. There is so much more detail and clarity in the ship's interiors, etc. It was shot on film so there will naturally be some grain, but I found it very subdued and never interfered with my engagement.
I have the Samsung UN82MU8000 and the Oppo 203.
post #67 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:

The film is dated... and smoking was a lot more accepted back in the late 70's when the film was released. I remember people smoking on airplanes.

All that and it's still a classic... if you're a Sci Fi fan.
Hairsonfire likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #68 of 75 Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 815
For you Alien Predator fans, you may find this Alien themed theater of interest. The extent and execution of this collection is jaw dropping.

post #69 of 75 Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
I have the Samsung UN82MU8000 and the Oppo 203.

Nice combo!

It makes it even more curious why you were disappointed in the image quality.
Alien was made during an age where filmmakers could take their time with character development and linger on shots more so than today. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is more than worth it to me. But, if you just weren't into it, nothing anyone can say will matter. You need to watch what you enjoy.
Ralph Potts and Hairsonfire like this.
post #70 of 75 Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 AM

Okay, I totally disavow my previous post. Amazing movie, just amazing. Picture quality is excellent. I feel like an idiot for my previous post . . . sorry folks.
Ralph Potts, G-Rex and RagtopFE like this.
post #71 of 75 Old 05-11-2019, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6204
Quote:
Okay, I totally disavow my previous post. Amazing movie, just amazing. Picture quality is excellent. I feel like an idiot for my previous post . . . sorry folks.
Greetings,

No worries. We are all glad you gave it another go...

Regards,
G-Rex likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #72 of 75 Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
In Alien the scene at the beginning when John Hurt rises from his incubation pod features a series of optical dissolves.

The 1992 laserdisc shows all the dirt and grain that were "baked in" to those dissolves because that was part of the photochemical work flow of the period. Whether Ridley Scott wanted that dirt there or not(he obviously did not)is irrelevant …….…..that is what he got and that is what audiences saw in 1979.

Scrub that dirt out(digitally) and you deprive modern viewers of what audiences saw back in the day on the big screen.

Star Trek The Motion Picture(released the same year as Alien) features a shot that has the USS Enterprise flying past Jupiter.

The 2001 special edition DVD and the Blu ray(released in 2009) used digital scrubbing and DNR to wipe clean all the dirt that was baked into that shot that is represented faithfully on the 1991 widescreen laserdisc.

In Superman The Movie(released in 1978) there is a shot where Supes flies into the clouds and atmosphere to commence turning back the world. Again, the 1991 laserdisc shows all the beautiful grain and dirt that was baked into those shots. No filtering, no digital manipulation.

The 2001 and 2006 DVDs, the 2011 blu ray and the 2018 UHD for Superman The Movie have scrubbed that shot clean.

Yes it looks objectively sharper and cleaner......it also looks unnatural and is not representative of what audiences saw back in the day...…. and the list goes on.

Just watched the UHD of Alien on a Sony 1000es native 4K projector and this is without doubt the best presentation of the film for home video. Much more grain present on this UHD release than on the 2010 blu ray...….indicating that very fine DNR was applied to that one.....probably to preserve bit rate.

Still like my old 1992 laserdisc though with all that analogue goodness
Ralph Potts and G-Rex like this.
post #73 of 75 Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Looks like Art was the only one who picked up on, or even cared about, what is the absolute single most significant aspect to this release.
After fifteen years of state of the art media releases, this film no longer looks like it's trying to ape a Zack Snyder or Michael Bay movie.

The wildly incorrect color grading from the 2004 DVD release that was then taken to even more ridiculous extremes for the blu-ray in 2010, has now been brought much more in line with how the film originally looked theatrically.
Some day I hope more people will understand that grain, and DNR, are not the only metrics in determining if something looks "off" or unnatural. Especially when we are talking about pre-digital toolbox era films.

Kudos and profuse thanks to Mr. Scott for restoring this classic to it's classic look!
NoUDont and RagtopFE like this.

Last edited by Paulidan XM; 05-28-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #74 of 75 Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I just watched Alien, and it's difficult to believe this is from the 70's.

Yes, the computers look dated. But everything else about Alien puts most other 70's movies to shame, and even several 80's movies look really bad in comparison.

Think about other sci-fi in that era. West Word, Future World, Buck Rogers, Damnation Alley, Omega Man, Death Race 2000, Logan's Run.

Alien
(and Star Wars IMHO) have sets, props, and FX that stand out like they were way ahead of their time. I love those other movies to death, but they look REALLY dated in comparison.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #75 of 75 Old 09-19-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Watched this last now WOW its looked awesome.
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page