Black Hawk Down Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #61 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Watched it tonight and this was the first time I have seen the film. Checked out the theatrical version and I didn't notice any issues.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Is the general concensus that the Theatrical version doesn't have the freezes, audio dropouts, etc. and the Extended does?

I only watched the Extended before returning it. The freezes every five to ten minutes made it basically unwatchable (though I did) with my Panasonic 820.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #63 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Is the general concensus that the Theatrical version doesn't have the freezes, audio dropouts, etc. and the Extended does?

I only watched the Extended before returning it. The freezes every five to ten minutes made it basically unwatchable (though I did) with my Panasonic 820.

Greetings,

While I didn't experience any issues, I believe that is the consensus and, it is attributable to the seamless branching of the additional scenes.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

No, my original disc theatrical version had freezes. I got a replacement disc and it had no problems. I have not yet tried the extended version.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #65 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Watched it tonight and this was the first time I have seen the film. Checked out the theatrical version and I didn't notice any issues.
Where did you purchase it from and what equipment are you using? That would be helpful, thanks!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #66 of 85 Old 05-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched the 1080 version today, LPCM 48k audio on my 5.1 system.
Audio was very good, no sync issues.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
post #67 of 85 Old 05-26-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
All versions are 48k and PCM
I watched the first 40% of the theatrical version [Atmos] and I liked what I heard mix wise, but couldn't help wondering that it could have been better, like "The Lone Survivor " was, which to me is the most discretely active immersive mix to date I experienced. The bass here also lacking a bit for the majority of the movie, yes it has Irene, but it is beyond the vast majority's set up here,[including my current subs] even the first order harmonics of the fundamentals. Anyway it's just a nitpick this is still a very good and engaging mix overall. Yes I've spotted lots of young actors too that are known better today, including Hardy and Coster-Waldau. will finish watching this tonight.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #68 of 85 Old 05-27-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Where did you purchase it from and what equipment are you using? That would be helpful, thanks!
Purchased my disc from Best Buy and my equipment is listed in my signature. Cheers.

Spoiler!
post #69 of 85 Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I watched this last friday and the 2nd and 3rd scenes kept messing up on my K8500 UHD player, I tried a few times to start over but didn't work. after that it played flawless but sucks couldn't watch it all the way through. Definitely looked excellent and the sound was superb.
post #70 of 85 Old 06-03-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Running out of words in describing the batch of 4K discs have been watching -
Maybe it just my JVC N7 but damm been seeing some quality discs as make my thru
4k titles - What a transfer – top tier in my book - Audio is good would not say great –
Just did not feel it rose above ok – so many scenes that with material present – so much potential -
either lack of weight in low end or just the lack of feeling in a space-just kind of meh

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #71 of 85 Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
I watched this last friday and the 2nd and 3rd scenes kept messing up on my K8500 UHD player, I tried a few times to start over but didn't work. after that it played flawless but sucks couldn't watch it all the way through. Definitely looked excellent and the sound was superb.
Get replacement discs from the seller. Some Black Hawk Down discs have problems.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #72 of 85 Old 06-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
Get replacement discs from the seller. Some Black Hawk Down discs have problems.
I bought a new player! Hahaha, worked fine after that.
post #73 of 85 Old 06-07-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
The "credits are rolling" and all I can say is WOW! Top Reference Quality PQ all the way through!! Its main feature DETAILS...unbelievable details in facial close-ups (the BEST I've ever seen)...incredible details in clothing, weapons, brick buildings, sand, roads, you name it. That feature alone qualifies this as Reference Material

I know some complain about the "heavy grain," but in the majority of scenes it wasn't that bad and it never hindered details, but enhanced them. BLACK LEVELS were amazing, as were SHADOW DETAILS. The last 40 minutes or so were nearly all night time scenes and I never once witnessed "black crush" or "murky blacks."

Regarding "audio drop-outs," I watched the Theatrical Version and I had ZERO PROBLEMS!

Thanks again Ralph for the excellent review and for convincing me to buy the UHD version.
Ralph Potts, GPBURNS and geoffrsc like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #74 of 85 Old 06-08-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The "credits are rolling" and all I can say is WOW! Top Reference Quality PQ all the way through!! Its main feature DETAILS...unbelievable details in facial close-ups (the BEST I've ever seen)...incredible details in clothing, weapons, brick buildings, sand, roads, you name it. That feature alone qualifies this as Reference Material

I know some complain about the "heavy grain," but in the majority of scenes it wasn't that bad and it never hindered details, but enhanced them. BLACK LEVELS were amazing, as were SHADOW DETAILS. The last 40 minutes or so were nearly all night time scenes and I never once witnessed "black crush" or "murky blacks."

Regarding "audio drop-outs," I watched the Theatrical Version and I had ZERO PROBLEMS!

Thanks again Ralph for the excellent review and for convincing me to buy the UHD version.

Greetings,

Sweet! So glad you enjoyed it Denny!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #75 of 85 Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:

Have you watched Saving Private Ryan- another one where close up as just incredible

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #76 of 85 Old 06-08-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Have you watched Saving Private Ryan- another one where close up as just incredible
Ah yes, you are right....the facial details were just as good as were details in general. And it had one of the best Dolby Atmos mixes ever! Definitely better than the mix in Black Hawk Down. Here's a link to what I had to say about it on the Blu-ray PQ Discussion Thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post56165968
GPBURNS likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #77 of 85 Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picture quality was fine, but lots of audio sync issues on the extended edition. Off by a second or so for most of the latter 2/3 of the movie. Is this limited to just the extended cut, or does the theatrical have issues as well? Probably just going to return and wait for a fix.
post #78 of 85 Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinpig View Post
Picture quality was fine, but lots of audio sync issues on the extended edition. Off by a second or so for most of the latter 2/3 of the movie. Is this limited to just the extended cut, or does the theatrical have issues as well? Probably just going to return and wait for a fix.
Not a problem with the theatrical version. I have just started the extended version and have not seen the later parts yet. I did exchange the original copy which did have problems.

post #79 of 85 Old 06-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Not a problem with the theatrical version. I have just started the extended version and have not seen the later parts yet. I did exchange the original copy which did have problems.
Zero issues with theatrical, extended had audio drops/lag with the added scenes.
post #80 of 85 Old 06-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Ah yes, you are right....the facial details were just as good as were details in general. And it had one of the best Dolby Atmos mixes ever! Definitely better than the mix in Black Hawk Down. Here's a link to what I had to say about it on the Blu-ray PQ Discussion Thread:

http://https://www.avsforum.com/foru...#115;t56165968
Too bad the SPR Atmos track was a pure bed channel encoding of only 7.1.2.

post #81 of 85 Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I watched the extended cut (UK UHD) with the Atmos track bistreamed, played on a Panasonic DP-UB820EG. No freezing or audio problems.
Except a very short audio stutter during the end titles at 2:23:48. It was not present on the DTS-HD Master Audio track, only the Atmos track.
Anyone get a stutter at the same timecode?
post #82 of 85 Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please post the cypher decoder guide. My space cadet cyper decoder ring has not worked in 60 years.
jherring69 likes this.

post #83 of 85 Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Please post the cypher decoder guide. My space cadet cyper decoder ring has not worked in 60 years.
Saving Private Ryan's Atmos track is a fixed printout containing seven lower level speaker channels and two objects that seem to replicate the two overhead channels in a commercial Atmos mix... and that's it. No panning objects are present in the track that can move about the room and they cannot scale up as you add more rendered speaker outputs with a fancier Atmos processor. And one LFE channel.

Hence the 7.1.2 fixed designation.

Now, I'm not sure if this replicates how the cinema Atmos track was created, or if Paramount purposely dumbed down the home Atmos track as Disney often does.

Whatever the case, it's not a full Dolby Atmos mix or encoding on 4k disc.

post #84 of 85 Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I-R-E-N-E is most definitely alive and well... and plays Solid down to 6Hz

The 4K/HDR looks Amazing on my OLED, even through my smartphone...

https://youtu.be/0E1NkVluuZE

I only got about half way through, can't wait to spin it up again tonight and fire up the JVC and drop the Big 120" screen!

Holy Mogadishu, Batman!

Don't even need meter to measure those low driver Hz- just count 'em with your wristwatch!

Last edited by Rgb; 06-17-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #85 of 85 Old 06-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
This was one of the first Blu-ray’s I bought when I first got my PS3 as the TrueHD soundtrack was stunning for its time. I am really looking forward to hearing the new Atmos soundtrack despite how much I hate double dipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...or triple, quad dipping

I'm an OCD multi-dipper without regrets for TV and films that have high re-watch value and/or are known quality refernce standards for audio and/or video.

For OCD fan collectors, there are many reaosns to save/collect legacy formats. One example is Star Trek TOS. THe original VHS release of a couple episodes have music/audio cue differences in brief scenes and some scene cuts that differ from the DVD/BD releases. There are probably hundreds of other examples for other TV shows and catalog films. Yes, "normal" people may not care, but we ain't "normal".

For DVD vs BD vs UHD releases, the extras or edits/framing, sound edits, may vary- commentaries, special features/documentaries, etc for archive collectors.

I wouldn't count it "x-dipping" for a new format with improved technical qualities- higher pixel count, colorspace improvement, lossless vs lossy audio, adding Atmos, etc. It takes time and effort to remaster for increased pixel/color/audio resolutions.

In the TOS example, the first DVD releases were only 2 episodes/disc on single layer DVD's. Then they remastered the video with new DVD sets with new DVD animated interactive Trek menus on double layer discs and new interviews/extras, which the original DVD's lacked other than previews. Then the Remastered Trek BD's came with new CGI FX- you want to keep the prior version DVD's for the orginal FX when desired. The BD's were made from original 35mm elements used to film the series (later series edited or shot on video), so increased resolution was worth it, plus more extras again. So, each relase had improved technical quality, content and extras for collectors

I think x-dipping got a bad rap in the DVD heydays when studios relesed a single disc debut DVD, then a year later a Special edition 2, 3 disc version, then anohter Extended/Director's edition DVD (i.e. same media format). Yes, that got out of hand in the DVD Golden years ~2000-2005

Last edited by Rgb; 06-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page