The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By PioManiac
  • 3 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By pspoar
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By pkeegan
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By jedi1982
  • 1 Post By dnoonie

post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

It's been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are facing a huge new threat: Lego Duplo invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than they can rebuild. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of The Lego Movie 2 The Second Part.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Charlie Day, Tiffany Haddish, Stephanie Beatriz, Brooklyn Prince
Directed by: Mike Mitchell
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Written by: Phil Lord & Christopher Miller
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 7, 2019

"They Come in Pieces"

Synopsis:

“It's been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are facing a huge new threat: Lego Duplo invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than they can rebuild.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

It’s been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are now facing a huge new threat: LEGO DUPLO® invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than it can be rebuilt. The battle to defeat the invaders and restore harmony to the LEGO universe will take Emmet (Chris Pratt), Lucy (Elizabeth Banks), Batman (Will Arnett) and their friends to faraway, unexplored worlds, including a galaxy filled with fantastic planets, strange characters and catchy new songs. It will test their courage, creativity and Master Building skills, and reveal just how special they really are.

In the spirit of fun that made The Lego Movie so entertaining, I had high hopes for The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part and, am pleased to report that much like that film this one is a hoot. This is a cute, fun, and entertaining film that much like its predecessor is filled with cleverly integrated humor, throwback references, and a plethora of characters borrowed from a variety of sources. The story is both creative and chuckle inducing as it boasts themes that can be enjoyed by both kids and their parents. You’d have to pay strict attention to catch each of the references littered throughout, but if missed, the site gags are sure to keep you giggling. The cast is perfectly placed and, add an enriching element that elevates the experience.

Reprising their starring roles from the first film are Chris Pratt as Emmet; Elizabeth Banks as Lucy, aka Wyldstyle; Will Arnett as LEGO Batman; Alison Brie as Unikitty; Nick Offerman as MetalBeard; and Charlie Day as Benny. They are joined by Tiffany Haddish and Stephanie Beatriz as new characters Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi and General Mayhem, respectively. There are also a few well-placed cameos too.

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part isn’t quite as well rounded as the original but, it comes pretty darn close and is lot of fun to watch.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for rude humor and some action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

In terms of resolution the differences between this and the 1080p version are appreciable as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters. To a lesser degree this also applied to backgrounds which emphasized depth of field and fine detail. The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the warm chromatic palate and use of contrast. Whites are bright, and snappy, while the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences with limited lighting are multi-staged and dimensional in appearance. As good as The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part looks in 1080p, the Ultra HD rendering enhances its attributes, making for a visually stimulating and pleasing video presentation.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is falling from above, passing through the room from front to back, or side to side, or about to roll you over. The opening scene kicks things off nicely and over the course of the presentation there are a host of nicely executed immersive moments that prove entertaining.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

The Lego Movie 2: The second Part comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is a high-quality video presentation that boasts inviting colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail is superlative as the video has excellent dimensionality with crisp texture and fine articulation. Contrast is strong and well balanced so that whites are crisp without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and enriching gradational highlights. This is a beautiful and pristine quality digital transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray.

The lossless soundtrack makes excellent use of the entire surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, crystalline dialog and solid dynamics. This is an active surround mix that combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic presence that elevates the experience. The LFE channel is actively engaged throughout and offers bass response that is punchy and on occasion, room shaking.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Blu-ray
    • Everything is Awesome Sing-along – Sing-along, trivia, games and more!
    • Commentary – Fun behind the scenes commentary by filmmakers
    • They Come in Pieces: Assembling The LEGO Movie 2 – Featurette highlighting A-list voice talent including Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett and Tiffany Haddish
    • Emmet’s Holiday Party: A LEGO Movie Short – Holiday themed animated short
    • LEGO Sets in Action – Animations of the LEGO product tied to The LEGO Movie 2
    • LEGO Designers – LEGO toy designers highlight key play sets in TLM2 product line
    • Outtakes & Deleted Scenes – Never before seen scenes
    • Super Cool Music Video – Music video by Beck featuring Robyn and The Lonely Island
    • Promotion Spots – Fun custom spots featured during the theatrical campaign
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

As with its predecessor I found The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part to be an entertaining and worthy genre entry that can be enjoyed by kids and their parents. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra HD quality, sparkling high definition video, gratifying lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos mix, and a fan friendly assortment of extras that are worth exploring. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is pitch perfect family entertainment that comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
PioManiac and dnoonie like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8530
Everything looks AWESOME!!!

I'm a big fan of the 3 previous Lego Movies, and double dipped for the 4K and 3D Blurays
...The Lego Movie, Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago...so this one was a Day-1 Blind Buy pre-order.
My G/F's Grand kids absolutely go crazy for them on the Big 120" screen with the JVC.

Glad to see the latest scores well too!

I pre-ordered the Steelbook 3D from Zavvi (UK) a couple months ago,
because I wasn't sure we would see a North American release.

My 4K/UHD should arrive from BestBuy tomorrow, it was shipped last Friday.
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Thanks Ralph! Really enjoyed the other films (especially Ninjago) and just put this one up top of my Netflix cue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Watched this last night with the family and I'm happy to report it achieved thumbs up across the board. Guess I wasn't expecting too much from the 2nd installment of this franchise, but was very pleasantly surprised with how much I (and the rest of the family) enjoyed this. There was entertainment value on offer for all age ranges, including myself chuckling quite a few times during the entire movie. Graphics and sound were top notch! Thanks for another stellar review Ralph, although this one I would have bought without the added push from one of your reviews.
Cheers!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR75x940D, Denon X4400H, Monolith 5X, PSA S3000i, Axiom M100s, VP180, QS8s, Klipsh R12SW, Polk MC60s, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro
post #5 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspoar View Post
Watched this last night with the family and I'm happy to report it achieved thumbs up across the board. Guess I wasn't expecting too much from the 2nd installment of this franchise, but was very pleasantly surprised with how much I (and the rest of the family) enjoyed this. There was entertainment value on offer for all age ranges, including myself chuckling quite a few times during the entire movie. Graphics and sound were top notch! Thanks for another stellar review Ralph, although this one I would have bought without the added push from one of your reviews.
Cheers!

Greetings,

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Regards,
pspoar likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #6 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
I am a huge fan of the Lego movie franchise and I had went and seen this alone one afternoon and loved it. I picked up the UHD Combo pack yesterday and watched it last night. Wow what an incredible presentation! The mix was AWESOME (sorry lol) and the picture quality was just beautiful. I think movie wise this is the weakest of all the Lego movies but I still loved it non the less. Great review Ralph! Spot on. Im watching it again tonight!

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #7 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
It put us to sleep, both my brother, niece and I.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
It put us to sleep, both my brother, niece and I.
Its definitely my least favorite Lego movie.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #9 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 517
We watched this last night and thought it was terrific! Great little subtle details that make these movies fun to enjoy
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
By far, the worst of the Lego movies. Slow paced, not as funny, really predictable. Too much musical stuff going on. Can't be bothered to pick this up although I really wish I could.

Spoiler!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Thanks for the review!

I watched this last night as a Netflix rental and very much enjoyed it. I think Lego Batman is the most fun so far!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #12 of 12 Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Digital

Is the digital copy that comes with the UHD/BD combo back in 4K, or just 1080?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page