Fighting with my Family Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By boguspomp2

post #1 of 2 Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Fighting with my Family Blu-ray Review

Set in the competitive world of wrestling, Fighting with my Family is an entertaining underdog story based on true events. Check out Ralph Potts' Blu-ray review.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13/Unrated
Feature running time: 109/109 minutes
Genre: Drama/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Florence Pugh, Lena Headey, Nick Frost, Jack Lowden, Vince Vaugh, Dwayne Johnson
Written & Directed by: Stephen Merchant
Music by:Vik Sharma
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: May 14, 2019

"Based on the Incredible True Story"

Synopsis:

“Written and directed by Emmy Award® winner Stephen Merchant (“The Office”), Fighting with My Family is a heartwarming comedy based on the incredible true story of WWE Superstar Paige” – Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

Born into a tight-knit wrestling family, Paige and her brother Zak are ecstatic when they get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try out for the WWE. But when only Paige earns a spot in the competitive training program, she must leave her loved ones behind and face this new cutthroat world alone. Paige's journey pushes her to dig deep and ultimately prove to the world that what makes her different is the very thing that can make her a star.

I saw the trailer for Fighting with my Family and was immediately smitten with its story but, never got around to seeing it during its theatrical run. Based on the true story of Saraya Knight aka WWE’s “Paige”, the film tells the backstory of her family’s love/passion for wrestling and how meteoric rise to prominence which occurred more or less through happenstance. Written and directed by Stephen Merchant Fighting with my Family provides an entertaining family dramedy that glimpses at the world of Pro Wrestling, some of its complexities and how with the right ingredients, the love of family can overcome despite any innate difficulties involved.

Fighting with my Family can be a little schmaltzy and, formulaic but, it’s on point, with a nicely balanced narrative that tickles the funny bone, warms the heart and never feels disingenuous to its subject. I thought that the cast, most notably Florence Pugh, contributed to my enjoyment of the film. It is evident that Stephen Merchant’s desire to convey the essence of what makes the Knight Family tick was paramount. I believe he succeeded in giving us people that we could easily care about and root for. In that vein Fighting with my Family is a winner and a film that can be enjoyed by its target audience. I look forward to giving it another spin.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The film contains crude and sexual material, language throughout, some violence and drug content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Fighting with my Family comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a high-quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Contrast is dynamic without being overpowering and blacks are respectable in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent.

The front heavy lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discernable level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Stephen Merchant
  • Gag Reel
  • A Family’s Passion: Making of Fighting with my Family
  • Learning the Moves
  • Deleted/Extended scenes
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Inspired by true events Fighting with my Family, written/directed by Stephen Merchant, is an entertaining family dramedy that glimpses at the world of Pro Wrestling, some of its complexities and how with the right ingredients, the love of family can overcome despite any innate difficulties involved. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a worthwhile supplemental package. Fighting with my Family is time well spent and deserves a place at the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
pspoar likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *Final Price Drop*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hello Ralph,

Thank you for this spot on review. My wife and I watched it yesterday and it was quite entertaining.

Florence Pugh was the right kind of actress to play the part. One thing cracked me up, though. The "original" Paige is 5.8 ft, FG is just 5.4 ft. Makes the story less believable.

Just like Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. He is 5.7 ft, Jack Reacher - as it is pointed out at least once in every book - is 6.6 ft.

Just saying.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page