Godzilla Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Godzilla Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray debut of Godzilla, the 1998 monster spectacle that stars Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno as unlikely heroes who team up to save New York City from the giant, fire-breathing monster.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1998
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 139 minutes
Genre: Horror/Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, Maria Pitillo, Hank Azaria, Kevin Dunn, Doug Savant, Michael Lerner, Harry Shearer
Directed by: Roland Emmerich
Music by: David Arnold
Written by: Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: May 14, 2019

"Size Does Matter…"

Synopsis:

“Following the French atomic bomb tests in the South Pacific, an unknown creature is spotted passing westward through the Panama Canal. Scientist Niko Tatopolous is called in to investigate the matter, and he quickly arrives at the conclusion that a giant, irradiated lizard has been created by the explosions. Godzilla(r) then makes its way north, landing at Manhattan to begin wreaking havoc in the big city. Even with the combined forces of the U.S. military to fight the monster, will it be enough to save the people of New York?” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

I reviewed Godzilla when it released on Blu-ray in 2009 and have included comments from that review here. The rating for the film and bonus content is the same. New ratings for the Ultra HD video and Dolby Atmos mix are contained below.

Growing up I used to love watching the Japanese monster/disaster movies. I was never much of a King Kong fan and always rooted for Godzilla. This 1998 Roland Emmerich film is quite different from those vintage movies. It puts an up to date and Americanized spin on the genre that features plenty of special effects, disaster laden destruction, and a corny yet fairly entertaining script. This was one of the early discs I bought on DVD and I find it to be an enjoyable guilty pleasure that I like to revisit from time to time.

It loses something when compared to the monster’s movies of old but Roland Emmerich and company know how to liven things up with plenty of city leveling action, soldier stomping mayhem, and lightly veiled humor that keeps interest going. The plot is simple, a giant fish-eating reptile hybrid invades NYC in order to nest. It lays waste to the half the city and terrorizes its inhabitants while battling the military and establishing its nesting location. With little known about its origins or what it seeks in NY It is up to a worm seeking scientist, his ex-girlfriend wannabe news reporter, and a French undercover government agent to stop the creature and his brood from multiplying and eventually taking over the world.

This of course isn’t meant to be artistically deep cinema. I think it achieves its goal with over the top thematic elements and lots of action/special effects (that by today’s standards are quite dated but, get the job done) that in the end make it quite fun to watch. Keep that in mind the first time you see it and you’ll probably have a good time with Godzilla.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi monster action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Godzilla comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Godzilla recently underwent a 4K re-mastering and its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray was derived from that process.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Godzilla has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

Looking at the film's opening moments, I wasn’t immediately struck by the upgrade in resolution however as the scene played out and then later, the improvement in depth, definition and color rendering became more obvious. The interior shots of tanker, the panel van used by the French room and the military situation room revealed delineated and natural color rendering as well as an uptick in fine detail, not present on the 1080p rendering. The addition of high dynamic range added a tangible visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. The military’s two nighttime encounters with Godzilla in the city, with its various explosions and streaming lights, had appreciable specular highlights and brilliant whites.

Dark highlights were rendered with excellent dimension especially when coupled with brighter visual elements. The image isn't razor sharp and, there are intermittent issues with innate softening, but detail rendering is very good overall. Grain remains intact with predominantly natural rendering that occasionally takes on more emphasis. Godzilla looked solid and represents the film in its finest light since coming to home video.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be a fairly entertaining listening experience that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done quite well and, creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. This is an overtly active Atmos presentation that occasionally borders on relying too heavily on the height channels (a minor complaint/observation).

I noticed that the front overhead channels were used for adding depth to the soundstage while the rear overhead channels contained more discrete sound objects/effects. In addition to things like overhead pans where sounds move through the soundstage, there are several sequences that bring everything together. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this Dolby Atmos presentation was, adding a complimentary element that elevated the experience of watching the film.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Godzilla Ultra HD Blu-ray (Includes 3 trailers)
  • Disc 2: Godzilla Blu-ray
  • Legacy Bonus Material
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Godzilla doesn’t fall into the category of being considered classic cinema but. I find it to be enjoyable, mindless entertainment that I like to revisit from time to time. This represents another strong catalog title release on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. It features beautifully restored Ultra HD video, an entertaining and complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and legacy bonus material. If you’re a fan and are equipped to take advantage of the Ultra HD/Dolby Atmos upgrades, this Ultra HD release is highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
anwsmh, darthray, GPBURNS and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I think I caught this movie at the right age when it came out because I enjoy it as campy as it is. Might pick this up for the Atmos track going by your review.

I really hope Godzilla (2014) comes to 4k, just so that amazing audio can get an Atmos bump.
Emaych, darthray and Mattopotamus like this.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Great review Ralph. Yes, it's campy, but still fun. The Atmos track is amazing...I gave it a 10/10.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Great review Ralph. Yes, it's campy, but still fun. The Atmos track is amazing...I gave it a 10/10.
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. Yes, the Atmos track definitely elevates things. I really liked it too but, found that it might have been just a hair over mixed. Totally nitpicking though..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. Yes, the Atmos track definitely elevates things. I really liked it too but, found that it might have been just a hair over mixed. Totally nitpicking though..

Regards,
I like the more aggressive Atmos mixes

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #6 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4458 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
Quote:
I like the more aggressive Atmos mixes

Me too!

I'll snag this when it's at a bargain basement price. The film is definitely on the low end of the Roland Emmerich pile of trashy popcorn flicks.
thehun, darthray, richlife and 2 others like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #7 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
It didn't occur to me that the movie would feature an Atmos remix. It may be worth getting for that.

I doubt that the remix would make Maria Pitillo (the female lead) any less annoying, though.

She did get one of the best lines in the film, though: "It's Gojira, you moron!". (Funny what sticks in the memory.)
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It didn't occur to me that the movie would feature an Atmos remix. It may be worth getting for that.

I doubt that the remix would make Maria Pitillo (the female lead) any less annoying, though.

She did get one of the best lines in the film, though: "It's Gojira, you moron!". (Funny what sticks in the memory.)

Sony and Dolby Atmos remixes tend to go hand in hand. Thankfully.

This one is pretty darn aggressive.

post #9 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post
I think I caught this movie at the right age when it came out because I enjoy it as campy as it is. Might pick this up for the Atmos track going by your review.

I really hope Godzilla (2014) comes to 4k, just so that amazing audio can get an Atmos bump.
I am just going to quote you because this is my exact thoughts. It is one of those movies that you just find yourself watching for no apparent reason.
darthray, F-n-T, DeadEd and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Ralph, when will you upgrade your system to also have front wide speakers? It would be of great added value in your reviews if that could be covered as it is a bit hit and miss which mixes use them. It seems most of the older re-releases do use wides thankfully while anything Disney seems to ignore them.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #11 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Overall, I wouldn't mind having this movie in my collection, but I don't think I could pay more than $9.99 for it.

On the other hand, if we could get some remasters of ALL the old Godzilla movies, I would pay properly for that!
Ralph Potts and Mattopotamus like this.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Ralph, when will you upgrade your system to also have front wide speakers? It would be of great added value in your reviews if that could be covered as it is a bit hit and miss which mixes use them. It seems most of the older re-releases do use wides thankfully while anything Disney seems to ignore them.
Greetings,

We'll see. My next A/V processor will more than likely accommodate them. I will have to decide if I will add them after that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

We'll see. My next A/V processor will more than likely accommodate them. I will have to decide if I will add them after that.

Regards,

Are you at all considering the Monoprice HTP-1? Looks intriguing. 9.1.6 processing with Dirac too.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #14 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Are you at all considering the Monoprice HTP-1? Looks intriguing. 9.1.6 processing with Dirac too.
That is the one I'm eyeing up at the moment. It looks very promising.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #15 of 35 Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
I'm looking forward to Ralph's review of Godzilla vs. Kong when it comes out on disc. A 2020 release.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 35 Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Wow..that Atmos mix is crazy!
darthray, F-n-T and PioManiac like this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #17 of 35 Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 7726
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Wow..that Atmos mix is crazy!
I don't recall the last time my surrounds and height speakers got so much work!

The helicopter pans across the ceiling from side to side, front to rear, rear to front...and diagonally
far exceeded any movie I've played on my 7.1.4 system in the past 3 years.

A must have for ATMOS capable systems (IMHO)

a little lacking in ULF bass when cut off at 35Hz but BassEQ Fixed that...

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #18 of 35 Old 05-19-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Wow

Another double dip for me, from this review and comments!!!
Always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and Loved Jean Reno as an actor
That man, as charisma on the big screen.

Darth

P.S. Use to sign as "Ray", lately too many Ray's around. And get confusing on some threads
post #19 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Writing as a BIG Godzilla fan, this is possibly the worse Godzilla ever made.

He looks like a dinosaur. A freaking dinosaur. The whole cutesie love story is terrible.

Ugggg.....looking forward the the new rendition May 31st. Mothra!
Ralph Potts likes this.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 86" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
post #20 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Wow

Another double dip for me, from this review and comments!!!
Always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and Loved Jean Reno as an actor
That man, as charisma on the big screen.

Darth

P.S. Use to sign as "Ray", lately too many Ray's around. And get confusing on some threads
Here's one for you Darth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catzilla.PNG
Views:	163
Size:	840.3 KB
ID:	2569170  
Ganymed4 and darthray like this.
post #21 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I don't recall the last time my surrounds and height speakers got so much work!

The helicopter pans across the ceiling from side to side, front to rear, rear to front...and diagonally
far exceeded any movie I've played on my 7.1.4 system in the past 3 years.

A must have for ATMOS capable systems (IMHO)

a little lacking in ULF bass when cut off at 35Hz but BassEQ Fixed that...

Interesting, I've been wondering what I should do when its lacking. Do you have a certain EQ for movies that lack in the LFE department, or is it based on the movie itself? Knowledge is power.

Onkyo TX-RZ920
SVS Prime Bookshelfs
SVS Prime Center
SVS PB13 Ultra
Klipsch KG1's
post #22 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle406 View Post
Interesting, I've been wondering what I should do when its lacking. Do you have a certain EQ for movies that lack in the LFE department, or is it based on the movie itself? Knowledge is power.
Check out the BEQ thread: BassEQ for Filtered Movies

Dizzle406 likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #23 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Check out the BEQ thread: BassEQ for Filtered Movies

You just became my superhero!! 1 question, can I use my subwoofer EQ within my AVR settings to apply these?

Onkyo TX-RZ920
SVS Prime Bookshelfs
SVS Prime Center
SVS PB13 Ultra
Klipsch KG1's
post #24 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle406 View Post
You just became my superhero!! 1 question, can I use my subwoofer EQ within my AVR settings to apply these?
I'm not familiar with your subs software, but is best to inquire in the BEQ thread

Spoiler!

a MiniDSP 2x4HD is about the the Best $200 you can spend on your room if you're a BassHead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEQ-Movie_list.png
Views:	610
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2569330  

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-20-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #25 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Nice review Ralph. After seeing the review numbers it looks like it could be some great home theater fodder. Gunna pick this one up!

I was a senior in HS when this movie came out. I remember not liking it much but my taste in movies have evolved to like more wild and crazy type movies. Always loved Sci Fi just more forgiving now to some of these ones.
darthray likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 05-20-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #26 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with your subs software, but is best to inquire in the BEQ thread

The major benefit in using a miniDSP device is you can download the entire 762 title library in XML format from the Repo to your laptop/macbook,
So any movie BEQ you want to load is just a mouse click away instead of changing up to 10 filters manually for each movie.

You can also create your own House Curve and set EQ/delays/phase/crossovers for up to 4 individual sub output channels
and merge them with All the movie BEQ's with the BEQ-Designer app for a more personal sound design specific to your room.

a MiniDSP 2x4HD is about the the Best $200 you can spend on your room if you're a BassHead
Im going to have to dig into this. Thank you for showing me this!

Onkyo TX-RZ920
SVS Prime Bookshelfs
SVS Prime Center
SVS PB13 Ultra
Klipsch KG1's
post #27 of 35 Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Here's one for you Darth.

Love-it

Look exactly like my older Cat, this picture is priceless

Darth
JeffR1 likes this.
post #28 of 35 Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Saw this was being reviewed and had to drop in. Since it came out, this Godzilla has been won of my favorite fun movies. I'm going to rent it right away and then buy when the price drops (as so many others said). Really looking forward to this.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #29 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Super fun audio mix - maybe most aggressive Atmos track have heard yet - great stuff-
Movie had more grain than box of shreddies - great stuff as well -
Picture occasional soft in places and some darker screens bit washed out but detail was very nice and decent image overall
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #30 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Have decided to pick up the disc mainly to check out the Atmos and then compare to the non Atmos mix. Sometimes even without Atmos speakers and playing the non Atmos mix you hear sounds that appear from above. (M&C)
Is there a particular scene that stands out, the scene one would choose to demo to someone who has never heard Atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page