How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Would've liked to have seen more of description of how the sound mix compares to the first and the second films. I don't know why I don't see even more complaints about the 2nd film's weak sound than there already is. Frankly that's why I think I don't like the 2nd film all that much. On every level the sound mix of the first is almost overwhelmingly engaging, from the intensity of the music score to the dynamics/surrounds/deep bass. The 2nd film is about the polar opposite, in volume-related categories anyways.

Curious to see how this 3rd film compares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Would've liked to have seen more of description of how the sound mix compares to the first and the second films. I don't know why I don't see even more complaints about the 2nd film's weak sound than there already is. Frankly that's why I think I don't like the 2nd film all that much. On every level the sound mix of the first is almost overwhelmingly engaging, from the intensity of the music score to the dynamics/surrounds/deep bass. The 2nd film is about the polar opposite, in volume-related categories anyways.

Curious to see how this 3rd film compares.
Wasn't the second film just mastered low across the board? I know bass wasnt quite the same extension as the first, but I thought I remembered the second sounding pretty damn good once you gave it a healthy volume bump(?).
post #33 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wasn't the second film just mastered low across the board? I know bass wasnt quite the same extension as the first, but I thought I remembered the second sounding pretty damn good once you gave it a healthy volume bump(?).
No, I've cranked that puppy up quite a bit and it's just not the same. Not just in terms of dynamics as far as the actual sound mix goes, but it's like the music score was also tamed down a bit. I once found a video of either the director or Randy Thom talking about how the powers that be felt like the music was a bit too much in the first film so they adjusted.
Toe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
No, I've cranked that puppy up quite a bit and it's just not the same. Not just in terms of dynamics as far as the actual sound mix goes, but it's like the music score was also tamed down a bit. I once found a video of either the director or Randy Thom talking about how the powers that be felt like the music was a bit too much in the first film so they adjusted.
Bummer. Thanks for the info.
post #35 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
The credits are rolling! I wasn't all that impressed with the storyline (it can't match the first installment) but the PQ was stunning. Instead of describing it in detail on this thread, I'll give you a link to the review I just posted on the Blu-ray PQ Discussion Thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post58086952

As you will see, I did mention the Dolby Atmos mix and compared it to the first two. In short, it definitely beat out #2 but still wasn't a match for #1 . I said in an earlier post that Dreamworks/Universal must have set a hard limit on the mix in #2 and they weren't nearly as restricted on this one. I still ended up turning the volume to -3 in order to get the effects I crave in LFE/bass.

Again Ralph, thanks for the review. I concur with nearly every point you made.
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #36 of 39 Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Thanks for the review!

I'll be picking up this one in a month or so on it's price drop.

I picked up 1 & 2 in UHD tonight at Best Buy since they just dropped in price.

Cheers!
Ralph Potts and djoberg like this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #37 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 7490
Watched in 4K/HDR on the OLED last night and my jaw was on the Floor.

Probably the best Picture Quality I've seen to date for an Animated Movie, (PIXAR was the champ once, not so much anymore)
... the HDR was stunning especially entering the Hidden World, I can't wait to see this one in 3D on the 120" screen with the JVC.

The audio was better than the second, not quite up to the original as others pointed out, but pretty close.
I never had an issue getting lots of great ULF moments, with BassEQ

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #38 of 39 Old 05-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Great review thanks, headed to Best Buy to pick up a copy for movie night tonight.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #39 of 39 Old 06-01-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4459 Post(s)
Liked: 3232
Last night we finally watched the latest "How To Train Your Dragon" movie.

I recently added a Lumagen Radiance Pro to my projector which provides Dynamic Tone Mapping. Simply stunning images. May be some of the best I have ever seen!

Even though this is probably considered a "kid's movie" we both thoroughly enjoyed it. A fun, adventurous, feel good film. While I would certainly rate this video at 100 (or maybe even higher if allowed ), the audio was more than "good enough". But at least the audio didn't take away anything from the viewing experience.

Animated movies have certainly come a long, long way since I first saw the early Disney movies in the 50's as a child.
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page