Captain Marvel is Coming to Blu-ray - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Lighten up everyone. I have no interest in allowing this thread to become about anything more than the title. If you're worried about being offended then simply don't see it. After all it's only a movie.

Regards,
Acknowledged.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 613
If you haven't seen it yet, don't blind-buy it. Wait for a sale, rent it, or catch it on streaming first. The movie was definitely not up to the standards of the rest of the MCU - probably the worst one. Thor 2 is saved from being the worst if only because Hemsworth has something Larson doesn't: charisma. Whoever was directing Larson obviously couldn't come up with any good takes so they just used what they had. In retrospect, they most definitely should have used Lashana Lynch (playing BFF Maria Rambeau) as Ms. Marvel rather than Larson, because she was great!

I'll be waiting for a sale, but only because I'm a completionist and need to have all the movies.
pkeegan and hernanu like this.
post #33 of 45 Old 05-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
If you haven't seen it yet, don't blind-buy it. Wait for a sale, rent it, or catch it on streaming first. The movie was definitely not up to the standards of the rest of the MCU - probably the worst one. Thor 2 is saved from being the worst if only because Hemsworth has something Larson doesn't: charisma. Whoever was directing Larson obviously couldn't come up with any good takes so they just used what they had. In retrospect, they most definitely should have used Lashana Lynch (playing BFF Maria Rambeau) as Ms. Marvel rather than Larson, because she was great!

I'll be waiting for a sale, but only because I'm a completionist and need to have all the movies.
Larson has something Hemsworth doesn't...just kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 05-24-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@Ralph Potts

Wow.... that's an early release date. Barely 3 months from it's theatrical debut. Disney must really want to cash in on their franchises. Wonder if that mean's we'll see Endgame by end of July?

Also, any word on what flavor HDR this release will have?

Personally, I don't think it's a need for cash.
They did the same thing with all the Star Wars movies.
More likely new Executive Management, that tried this approach with the Star Wars ones.
And since the sell revenue was better, than holding a title for years. Figure it is the way to go.
A big plus, for Us the Customer

Darth
post #35 of 45 Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I agree: Don't do a blind-buy.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #36 of 45 Old 05-27-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,
If you're worried about being offended then simply don't see it. After all it's only a movie.

Regards,
With respect, where's the thread to discuss this idea...? Namely the idea that, in the history of media, propagandizing fictional stories has never been a thing to worry about?
post #37 of 45 Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
With respect, where's the thread to discuss this idea...? Namely the idea that, in the history of media, propagandizing fictional stories has never been a thing to worry about?
Greetings,

I would imagine that a google search would yield a coffee table discussion location where venting about such things would be appropriate. A Blu-ray review forum is to discuss the film and the quality of the home video release. Allowing it to spread beyond that would throw the topic well past those limits.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #38 of 45 Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I saw Marvel in the theater on day one and loved it. I thought that Brie Larson was excellent as the lead and her scenes with "young" Sam Jackson/Nick Fury were gold. I also thought that Ben Mendelsohn, with his pronounced and snarky "Limey" accent (even though he's an Aussie) was, even under all of the prosthetic Skrull layers, terrific and he stole some of his scenes. The movie was a good mix of drama, action and comedy and was very entertaining which is my primary criteria for thumbs up/thumbs down. While I wish that the 4K version was in Dolby Vision, an HDR10/Atmos home release is a day one buy for me.
Forgot to mention this but the opening tribute to Stan Lee and his many cameo appearances in Marvel films was wonderful. It's been sad to read about how his trusted business manager took advantage of him in his last years. It's truly a cautionary tale about to need to be vigilant as our parents and, eventually, we get older and may need assistance.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #39 of 45 Old 05-29-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@Ralph Potts

Wow.... that's an early release date. Barely 3 months from it's theatrical debut. Disney must really want to cash in on their franchises. Wonder if that mean's we'll see Endgame by end of July?

Also, any word on what flavor HDR this release will have?
I think they had to rush it to retail because it will be included in the Disney streaming service so they have to snag some money now before people sort of start paying for it on that service.

I bought it yesterday in 4K from Vudu (because my daughter wanted to see it) She watched it right away.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #40 of 45 Old 05-29-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I think they had to rush it because it's a crappy movie. This is one of the weakest Marvel tie in's .. Flat acting (and that's being kind), ultra stupid editing and exposition that makes absolutely no sense at all on top of story holes that make Swiss cheese envious. Gotta cash in while the cash in is possible.
post #41 of 45 Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
I think they had to rush it because it's a crappy movie. This is one of the weakest Marvel tie in's .. Flat acting (and that's being kind), ultra stupid editing and exposition that makes absolutely no sense at all on top of story holes that make Swiss cheese envious. Gotta cash in while the cash in is possible.
I guess... Turns out I thought it was fun enough... I guess the cat sort of reminded me of Men in Black ... I think I'm an easy movie critic esp if I'm in the mood to just enjoy something.
Briguy65 likes this.
post #42 of 45 Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I guess... Turns out I thought it was fun enough... I guess the cat sort of reminded me of Men in Black ... I think I'm an easy movie critic esp if I'm in the mood to just enjoy something.
Yeah, I normally hesitate to comment on a lot of these movies as I don't really want to ruin someone else's enjoyment. I think the vast majority of the 4k releases are actually crappy movies that people buy just to have something to show off HDR and Atmos. I wish I was more forgiving. For whatever reason I think a good picture and good sound are way down the list of reasons to watch a movie. If the script, story and acting are bad I don't really have the patience for it. I can typically get over a good story with a bad script if the acting is good. Actually it's funny to watch actors chew on really clumsy lines. But, if the story makes no sense I just have a hard time shutting off the brain and letting it ride. But, don't take my extra dose of grumpy get in the way of your enjoyment.
Xavier3 likes this.
post #43 of 45 Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 321
The 4K HDR with Atmos seemed nerfed to me (not very active and definitely low on volume)...at least the Atmos...wonder if the UHD BR will have the same issues with the lossless version

Josh
post #44 of 45 Old 05-31-2019, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I liked the movie. But I have to admit that back in the day I read a lot of the comics, and I have some passing knowledge of Carol Danvers, mostly in her form of Binary. From what I remember of the comics, the actress fits the bill as the hero. It's easy to get confused though, at first I was going to complain when one of the earlier posters mentioned that Carol Danvers showed up only in 2012. But the last time I read comics was before 2000. Then I remembered that Ms. Danvers was Ms. Marvel in her earliest iteration, so maybe that's why I remembered her as a much older character. Anyway, since most comic book characters of any age have a pretty convoluted history I'm willing to take everything with a grain of salt. After all, I remember quite a few different characters in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #45 of 45 Old 05-31-2019, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
yes, and that stupid 'girl power' scene with all the female superheroes in a corny pose from Avengers End Game was another eye roller. Oddly, it was my daughter and wife that thought that girl power pose was dumb. I hope this isn't a trend in this genre...
I just looked at that scene from Endgame. There is no "pose". It just shows the female heroes gathering together and starting to walk towards a general direction. You may want to look at that scene again. A more classic pose comes in the first Avengers movie where they're standing in a circle, about to take on some of the Chitauri, or in Ultron, when they gather around that device that is levitating Sakovia. Now those are poses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page