Captain Marvel is Coming to Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 45 Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 5657
Captain Marvel is Coming to Blu-ray

The Barrier-Blasting, Intergalactic Origin Story That Goes Higher, Further, Faster

Marvel Studios’

Captain Marvel

Arrives on Digital May 28th, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray Combo Packs on June 11th, 2019

Extensive extras explore the universe’s most powerful hero and future Avenger, Nick Fury’s influence on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, fan-favorite Goose the Cat, deleted scenes, gag reel, commentary and much more!

NEW YORK CITY (May 9, 2019) — At yesterday’s espnW Summit NYC, Marvel Studios hosted a “Captain Marvel” panel and revealed an all-new trailer and in-home release dates for its first female-led franchise film, centered on Carol Danvers a.k.a. Captain Marvel. The spectacular, 1990s-era Super Hero adventure, which electrified and inspired audiences worldwide and surpassed $1 billion in ticket sales, is available on Digital in HD and 4K Ultra HD™ and Movies Anywhere May 28, and lands on Blu-ray™ and Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD™ June 11.

Arriving home with extensive line-up of extras detailing the development of this highly anticipated addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), “Captain Marvel” includes Featurettes that highlight the transformative journey of Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) and her character’s impact on audiences around the globe; the influence of Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) on significant events within the MCU; the perfect pairing of directors Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck; the ongoing conflict between the Skrulls and the Kree; and the raw talent behind the fetching feline named Goose. Viewers also gain access to six deleted scenes, director commentary, a gag reel loaded with funnies, flubs and Flerkens, and never-before-seen concept art and production photography.

“Captain Marvel” comes packaged in various formats to best fit today’s varying consumer desires. Viewers can bring home the film two weeks early on Digital 4K Ultra HD, HD and SD and gain access to two exclusive features, including a behind-the-scenes visit with the Visual Effects team that makes the filmmakers’ visions of the MCU come to life and an inside look at the epic team effort that goes into an action-packed sequence within a Marvel Studios film. A physical copy of “Captain Marvel” is available as either a 4K Cinematic Universe Edition (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital Copy) or a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray+Digital Copy), granting fans the flexibility to watch on devices of their choice.

BONUS MATERIAL (may vary by retailer):

Blu-ray & Digital:
• Alternate Movie Versions
• Movie with Intro – An introduction by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
• Movie with Commentary – Commentary by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
• Featurettes:
• Becoming a Super Hero – Follow Brie Larson's journey as she joins the MCU, and see what it takes to be a Marvel Super Hero in every sense of the word.
• Big Hero Moment – Explore how impactful Captain Marvel's entrance into the MCU is, and how she inspires audiences around the world.
• The Origin of Nick Fury – Witness some of the MCU’s most significant events through Nick Fury's eyes, and see how his influence helped shape the MCU.
• The Dream Team – Discover why Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck are the perfect pair to direct Marvel Studios’ most powerful hero.
• The Skrulls and the Kree – Take a deeper look into the Skrulls and the Kree, their ongoing conflict, and the importance of shifting perspectives in the film.
• Hiss-sterical Cat-titude – The cast and crew dish on working with Goose and the raw talent it takes to portray such a complex character on-screen.
• Deleted Scenes
• “Who Do You Admire Above All Others?” - Kree Commander Yon-Rogg must answer to the Supreme Intelligence, who questions his leadership ability.
• Starforce Recruits - Yon-Rogg lectures a roomful of students on the Kree's mission to defend all nations from the scourge of the Skrulls.
• Heading to Torfa - Vers (Danvers) and her fellow Starforce members banter as they prepare for their rescue mission to Torfa.
• “What, No Smile?” - In this alternate version of a scene from the movie, Vers is consulting a map when she receives a dubious offer of assistance.
• Black Box - Keller attempts to track Vers and Fury after their escape in a quadjet from the Joint USAFA Facility.
• Rookie Mistake - Novice S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson helps Director Keller out of an embarrassing situation.
• Gag Reel – The fate of the universe hangs in the balance as the cast battles props, flubs and Flerkens in these outtakes from the set.

Digital Exclusives:
o Journey into Visual Effects with Victoria Alonso – Experience how filmmakers' visions of the MCU come to life on-screen through the skill of the Visual Effects team.
• What Makes a Memory: Inside the “Mind Frack” – What does it take to craft an action-packed sequence for a Marvel Studios film? Nothing short of an epic team effort!
• Concept Art – Explore artwork from “Captain Marvel” and trace the visual development of characters.
• On-Set Images – Uncover a trove of behind-the-scenes and production photography.

Set in the 1990s, “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that introduces the MCU’s first stand-alone, female-franchise title character—Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel. When we first meet Danvers, she already possesses her superhero powers, having left her earthly life behind and become a member of an intergalactic elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by their enigmatic commander, Yon-Rogg. But after Danvers has trained and worked with the Starforce team, and become a valued member¬, she finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. While on Earth she quickly lands on the radar of Nick Fury, and they must work together against a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls—the notorious Marvel bad guys made even more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities—and their leader, Talos, who is spearheading a Skrull invasion of Earth.

Based on the beloved Marvel comic-book series, first published in 1967, “Captain Marvel” stars Academy Award® winner Brie Larson (“Room,” “Kong: Skull Island”) as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, Samuel L. Jackson (Marvel Studios’ “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “The Hateful Eight”) as Nick Fury, Ben Mendelsohn (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” “Mississippi Grind”) as Talos, with Annette Bening (“American Beauty,” “20th Century Women”) as Supreme Intelligence, with Clark Gregg (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”) as Agent Coulson and Jude Law (“Sherlock Holmes,” “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”) as Yon-Rogg.

The film also includes a talented supporting cast that features Djimon Hounsou (“Blood Diamond,” “Guardians of the Galaxy”) as Korath, Lee Pace (“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” “Guardians of the Galaxy”) as Ronan, Lashana Lynch (“Bulletproof,” “Brotherhood”) as Maria Rambeau, Gemma Chan (“Crazy Rich Asians,” “Humans”) as Minn-Erva, Rune Temte (“Eddie the Eagle,” “The Last Kingdom”) as Bron-Char, Algenis Perez Soto (“Sugar,” “Isolated Victim”) as Att-Lass, Mckenna Grace (“Gifted,” “I, Tonya”) as Young Carol Danvers and Akira Akbar (“Grey’s Anatomy”) as Monica Rambeau.

Marvel Studios’ “Captain Marvel” is produced by Kevin Feige and directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck (“Half Nelson,” “Sugar,” “Mississippi Grind”). Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Jonathan Schwartz, Patricia Whitcher and Stan Lee are the executive producers. The story is by Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve and Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck & Geneva Robertson-Dworet, and the screenplay is by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck & Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

Directors Boden and Fleck’s creative team also includes director of photography Ben Davis (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Marvel Studios’ “Doctor Strange”), production designer Andy Nicholson (“Gravity,” “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”), costume designer Sanja Hays (“The Fate of the Furious,” “Star Trek Beyond”), editors Elliot Graham (“Steve Jobs,” “Molly’s Game”) and Debbie Berman (Marvel Studios’ “Black Panther,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming”), visual effects supervisor Christopher Townsend (Marvel Studios’ “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”), special effects supervisor Dan Sudick (Marvel Studios’ “Avengers: Infinity War,” “Black Panther”) and composer Pinar Toprak (“The Angel,” “The Challenger”).

DISC SPECIFICATIONS (applies to film content only):
Product SKUs: Digital: 4K Ultra HD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Cinematic Universe Edition (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy), and DVD
Feature Run Time: Approximately 123 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
Audio: Ultra HD Blu-ray: English Dolby Atmos; Latin Spanish, French Parisian, Japan, German & Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus; French Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital; Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA; Brazilian Portuguese, French Canadian and Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital; DVD: English, French Canadian and Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital; Ultra HD Digital: English Dolby Atmos (some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Latin Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms); HD Digital: English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Latin Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms); SD Digital: English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Latin Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

Subtitles: Ultra HD: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Cantonese, Korean, Thai, Norwegian, French Parisian; Blu-ray: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese; DVD: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish; Digital: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Ralph,
Can you explain this "Alternate Movie Versions"
Does that mean like a directors cut or something?
Thanks

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 45 Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 394
@Ralph Potts

Wow.... that's an early release date. Barely 3 months from it's theatrical debut. Disney must really want to cash in on their franchises. Wonder if that mean's we'll see Endgame by end of July?

Also, any word on what flavor HDR this release will have?
Mashie Saldana likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Saw it in the theater with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I got back from the movie and preordered the steel UHD book that night.
post #5 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Ralph,
Can you explain this "Alternate Movie Versions"
Does that mean like a directors cut or something?
Thanks
Mike, I would assume that this would mean that but, at the moment what you see is what I know. I will follow up once I have more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@Ralph Potts

Wow.... that's an early release date. Barely 3 months from it's theatrical debut. Disney must really want to cash in on their franchises. Wonder if that mean's we'll see Endgame by end of July?

With no indication to the contrary I would imagine it will be HDR10 or HDR10+. We'll see soon enough...

Regards,
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Thanks Ralph. That would be interesting.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #7 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Looking forward to watching this again. I like when Vudu has the option of Disc+Digital so you get stream on the earlier release day but still get the disc without double dipping. Am I right that Vudu typically doesn't do that with Marvel releases?
guacamoleparty likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #8 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Looking forward to watching this again. I like when Vudu has the option of Disc+Digital so you get stream on the earlier release day but still get the disc without double dipping. Am I right that Vudu typically doesn't do that with Marvel releases?
Im curious of this too! I'd love to get it early and then have them send me the disc! Loved this film.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@Ralph Potts

Yeah it's great and surprising. It it still being shown at my local cinema.

Spoiler!
post #10 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Didn't see this in the cinema, probably will not watch it on video, I really don't like the re-write of the original comic book as Captain Marvel was a man, not sure if it's political correctness, maybe I'm off base, but there it is.
MichaelZ and Brian Hampton like this.
post #11 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I'm not anxiously awaiting this movie in particular, but I'd pretty much watch Brie Larson twiddle her thumbs for a couple of hours.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #12 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
I thought it a pretty terrible movie.
MichaelZ likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #13 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Didn't see this in the cinema, probably will not watch it on video, I really don't like the re-write of the original comic book as Captain Marvel was a man, not sure if it's political correctness, maybe I'm off base, but there it is.
Re-write...no, complicated, yes. Your comment got me curious so...

There were 7 comic book iterations of Captain Marvel: (from, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

Mar-Vell, 1967, man
Monica Rambeau, 1982, woman
Genis-Vell, 1993, man
Phyla-Vell, 2004, woman
Khn'nr, 2007, man
Noh-Varr, 2000,man
Carol Danvers, 2012, woman
Origin story's vary but the original is Kree as are others.
Edit: Hum, well there are 8 more apparently besides the above, happy exploring!

More reading: (links are a bit spoilerey)
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...igin-explained
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/m...l-history.html

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 05-22-2019 at 01:56 AM.
post #14 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
if it wasn't for that thrash talking SJP of a C list wanna be actress, I might had considered it from the bargain basement bin...
MichaelZ and Brian Hampton like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #15 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Re-write...no, complicated, yes. Your comment got me curious so...

There were 7 comic book iterations of Captain Marvel: (from, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

Mar-Vell, 1967, man
Monica Rambeau, 1982, woman
Genis-Vell, 1993, man
Phyla-Vell, 2004, woman
Khn'nr, 2007, man
Noh-Varr, 2000,man
Carol Danvers, 2012, woman
Origin story's vary but the original is Kree as are others.
Edit: Hum, well there are 8 more apparently besides the above, happy exploring!

More reading: (links are a bit spoilerey)
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...igin-explained
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/m...l-history.html

Cheers,
Interesting history, but I was referring to the Stan Lee comics from the late 60's/early 70's. However, if it's not preachy or SJW-ish (is that a word?), I may take it for a spin.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Oh another Disney release? Let me get my set up ready...

Yamaha RX-A2080 + Emotiva XPA-5 | Paradigm Monitor 11 v6 | Paradigm CC-390 | Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 | Pair of Hsu Research HIW-1s | Pair of PSA S3000i subs
post #17 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Mike, I would assume that this would mean that but, at the moment what you see is what I know. I will follow up once I have more details.

With no indication to the contrary I would imagine it will be HDR10 or HDR10+. We'll see soon enough...

Regards,
UGH why does Disney not care about quality? No DV is unacceptable at this point. I guess I'll rent this one instead of purchase.

TV: LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #18 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 2569 Post(s)
Liked: 2519
Captain Marvel is Coming to Blu-ray

Ok, for the record, I'm typically in serious peril of passing out due to blood loss in my heart. I've also been cheekily compared to the precipitation of frozen water. I've even been referred to in a colloquial way as being flexibly impeded. I say all this to explain that what I'm about to say next is not motivated by a specific political leaning or some misguided nostalgia for days gone by.

This is not a good movie. In fact, I would call this the MCU's first true dud. The writing is bad, the plot is nonsensical, the titular protagonist has all the charm and character of a plank (whether due to the aforementioned bad writing, bad direction, bad acting or some combination of all three). Perhaps most egregious, the much touted "de-aging" Disney tech results in uncanny-valley levels of stomach turning. The movie also doesn't follow in the MCU's tradition of meticulous world building as it retcons quite a bit of previously established character history and plot. I won't go into the idea that a two dimensional cardboard cutout of a character is the new Hollywood ideal for female empowerment except to say: women deserve much, much better.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 05-22-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #19 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Pass.

Chemist
post #20 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
if it wasn't for that thrash talking SJP of a C list wanna be actress, I might had considered it from the bargain basement bin...
What's an SJP? Sarah Jessica Parker? Students for Justice in Palestine? (Top Google search results.) I've seen SJW before, but not SJP. Maybe I'm not spending enough time on the alt right media outlets.
sage11x and CalJake like this.
post #21 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I am sorry to see that they are making 3D hard to get. I just watched Infinity War in 3d -- active glasses, 168" cinematic screen and it was spectacular. I saw it first in a Dolby Cinema and have streamed it a dozen times. 3D totally refreshed the experience. People miss a lot by poo-pooing 3D. I saw a region free 3D listed on Amazon.

Looking forward to it.
post #22 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I thought it a pretty terrible movie.
yep I'm with you. These identity politics in movie are getting more and more silly.

The way they portrayed air force women was fairly stupid.

The clown-like behavior of the guys for no apparent reason to highlight the "awesome" girls was goofy.

The entire attitude of larson in this movie was quite frankly distracting similar to the last star wars movie flaws.

They can simply portray strong women characters without getting obnoxious about it.

Blazar!
post #23 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Ok, for the record, I'm typically in serious peril of passing out due to blood loss in my heart. I've also been cheekily compared to the precipitation of frozen water. I've even been referred to in a colloquial way as being flexibly impeded. I say all this to explain that what I'm about to say next is not motivated by a specific political leaning or some misguided nostalgia for days gone by.

This is not a good movie. In fact, I would call this the MCU's first true dud. The writing is bad, the plot is nonsensical, the titular protagonist has all the charm and character of a plank (whether due to the aforementioned bad writing, bad direction, bad acting or some combination of all three). Perhaps most egregious, the much touted "de-aging" Disney tech results in uncanny-valley levels of stomach turning. The movie also doesn't follow in the MCU's tradition of meticulous world building as it retcons quite a bit of previously established character history and plot. I won't go into the idea that a two dimensional cardboard cutout of a character is the new Hollywood ideal for female empowerment except to say: women deserve much, much better.
100%. I was really looking forward to Captain Marvel and the badass that she is. This rendition was painful to watch and didn't make you care about any of it..

Blazar!
post #24 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
What's an SJP? Sarah Jessica Parker? Students for Justice in Palestine? (Top Google search results.) I've seen SJW before, but not SJP. Maybe I'm not spending enough time on the alt right media outlets.
LOL you were close, and no it's not alt right, [only DSA NPC's would allude to that] it's a simple variation[of mine] of a known badge. P is for parasite, or pest, instead of "warrior" which is way too of a noble term to associate with those people.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 06-02-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #25 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
However, if it's not preachy or SJW-ish (is that a word?), I may take it for a spin.
well if the way the lead actress went about to "promote" this movie [more like herself and her narrative] than you are in an unpleasant surprise. Only one way to find out though...

The Hun
post #26 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Interesting comments above...I've not seen the movie.

I'll try before I buy, in my Netflix queue. I'll be interested to see what take Ralph has!

Cheers,
sage11x likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #27 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Day one buy for me.

Spoiler!
post #28 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
well if the way the lead actress went about to "promote" this movie [more like herself and her narrative] than you are in an unpleasant surprise. Only one way to find out though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
yep I'm with you. These identity politics in movie are getting more and more silly.

The way they portrayed air force women was fairly stupid.

The clown-like behavior of the guys for no apparent reason to highlight the "awesome" girls was goofy.

The entire attitude of larson in this movie was quite frankly distracting similar to the last star wars movie flaws.

They can simply portray strong women characters without getting obnoxious about it.
Maybe my first instinct was right, sounds like a pass.
post #29 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Lighten up everyone. I have no interest in allowing this thread to become about anything more than the title. If you're worried about being offended then simply don't see it. After all it's only a movie.

Regards,
dnoonie, CalJake, CURX8 and 10 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #30 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
yep I'm with you. ...

yes, and that stupid 'girl power' scene with all the female superheroes in a corny pose from Avengers End Game was another eye roller. Oddly, it was my daughter and wife that thought that girl power pose was dumb. I hope this isn't a trend in this genre...

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page