Crank Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By tjenkins95
  • 1 Post By hernanu
  • 3 Post By alps006
  • 1 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By audioguy
  • 1 Post By hernanu
  • 1 Post By muffinmcfluffin
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign
  • 1 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign

post #1 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 5642
Crank Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Professional assassin Chev Chelios learns his rival has injected him with a poison that will kill him if his heart rate drops. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Crank from Lionsgate Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2006
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 87 minutes
Genre: Action/Thriller/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English Dolby Digital EX 5.1 (Blu-ray)
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jason Statham, Amy Smart, Jose Pablo Cantillo, Efren Ramirez, Dwight Yoakam
Written & Directed by: Neveldine/Taylor
Music by: Paul Haslinger
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 21, 2019

"You Stop, You Die…"

Synopsis:

“Professional assassin Chev Chelios learns his rival has injected him with a poison that will kill him if his heart rate drops.” – Lionsgate Home Entertainment

My Take:

Chev Chelios (Jason Statham), a hit man wanting to go straight, lets his latest target slip away, then he awakes the next morning to a phone call that informs him he has been poisoned and has only an hour to live unless he keeps adrenaline coursing through his body while he searches for an antidote.

Crank is written/directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor and is a genre bending, head turning, comedy, action, thriller that is most definitely intended to be taken with a grain of salt. I have owned since its home video debut and find that it’s a film that grows on you rather than one that easily digested in one viewing. I mean don’t get me wrong, Crank is far from high-brow filmmaking but, it’s not intended to be.

It’s disjointed flow, poor character design, gratuitous elements and overtly far fetched plot combined with its satirical edge, somehow manage to work, albeit on a noticeably base level. Be that as it may, I found myself chuckling aloud and enjoying watching Jason Statham’s frenetic Chev Chelios spend 87 minutes spinning out of control. Crank is the type of steam letting, mindless entertainment that can be fun when you’re in the mood for something well off the beaten path.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, pervasive language, sexuality, nudity and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 88

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Crank comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Crank has a stylized visual design that won't result in the type of high gloss definition of some of todays films that come to Ultra HD Blu-ray.

I have previously seen Crank in high definition. Looking at the film's opening moments, the improvement in depth and delineation was immediately noticeable but, not strikingly so. It’s not an overtly bright film, although there are bright elements. The cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and warmer chromatic accents. In many respects, the image is emboldened with a discernible boost to definition. Color reproduction benefited from the wider color gamut, especially blues, and reds which pop nicely. The wide-angle shots of daytime Los Angeles look terrific, reveling lots of textures and wonderfully rendered color.

High dynamic range added a tangible visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. Bright sequences appeared vibrant, while dark highlights in most respects, were rendered with appreciable dimension, especially when coupled with brighter visual elements. Crank has always suffered from mild black crush here and there and that continues here. Crank has always looked a bit uneven on home video and that continues in this faithful Ultra HD presentation which renders it in its finest light.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Crank, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. This film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to overtly bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be a fairly entertaining listening experience that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done quite well, and where applied, creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The Atmos mix enlivens the surround track, adding enriching depth of field. In addition to things like overhead pans where sounds move through the soundstage, there are several sequences that bring everything together. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this Dolby Atmos presentation was, adding a complimentary element that elevated the experience of watching the film.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Crank Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Crank Blu-ray
  • Shooting Crank - Featurette
  • The Stunts of Crank - Featurette
  • Pushing Crank - Featurette
  • NEW Crank @ Comic-Con - Featurette
  • NEW More Stories from Crank - Featurette
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and Directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor Crank is a genre bending, head turning, comedy, action, thriller that is the type of steam letting, mindless entertainment that can be fun when you’re in the mood for something well off the beaten path. It comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertaining in this Combo Pack featuring solid Ultra HD video, including Dolby Vision HDR, a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive mix, legacy and new bonus material. If you’re a fan that is equipped for Ultra HD/Dolby Atmos sound, Crank has never looked or sounded better on home video so, feel free to add this one to your collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
TheSonyExperience likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Just picked this up yesterday and I am going to watch this tonight. Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
You're right, Ralph - this is severely off the beaten path but is a frenetic ride. I've got it on bluray, always been a Statham fan, will be picking this up as a good double dip.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Avoid this at all costs, if you are not a fan of shaky and blurred cameras. This is one of those movies that I couldn't pass 30 minutes mark. Not sure if it was intentional or the cameraman is suffering from Parkinson disease. . Thanks for the review Ralph.
Ralph Potts, KRGM1 and hernanu like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Saw this a while ago when it first came out and it's a lot of fun. Picked it up as I couldn't be bothered for $15. Solid review.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
post #6 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
I'm a big fan of Jason Statham and of this genre so I will order as soon as I finish typing this. Looks like fun!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps006 View Post
Avoid this at all costs, if you are not a fan of shaky and blurred cameras. This is one of those movies that I couldn't pass 30 minutes mark. Not sure if it was intentional or the cameraman is suffering from Parkinson disease. . Thanks for the review Ralph.
Not sure why this didn't bug me as I'm usually sick as a dog from that kind of camera work. I couldn't sit through Cloverfield (ran out) and the Green Zone did me in.

Agree that you need care, it is not pleasant if it affects you.
alps006 likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Not sure why this didn't bug me as I'm usually sick as a dog from that kind of camera work. I couldn't sit through Cloverfield (ran out) and the Green Zone did me in.

Agree that you need care, it is not pleasant if it affects you.
I don't know if I am bothered by this effect or not but for $15.00 I'm willing to give it a go!
post #9 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I don't know if I am bothered by this effect or not but for $15.00 I'm willing to give it a go!
In Dolby Vision the whole disc is tinted heavily red.

Either my equipment is playing the movie wrong, or this coloring is intentional or the disc was authored incorrectly,

What are others seeing in Dolby Vision?

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #10 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I must've just been really tired when trying to read the thread title, because I thought that this was a third installment in the franchise called Crank Ultra. After searching far and wide on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes and couldn't find a single thing about a third film, I started to make sense of the fact that this was just Crank being reviewed in its Ultra HD format lol.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #11 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
I must've just been really tired when trying to read the thread title, because I thought that this was a third installment in the franchise called Crank Ultra. After searching far and wide on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes and couldn't find a single thing about a third film, I started to make sense of the fact that this was just Crank being reviewed in its Ultra HD format lol.

Greetings,

Glad you sorted it out!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 19 Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Glad you sorted it out!

Regards,
I returned the disk for a refund. I will wait for posts that the Dolby Vision version appears good and not heavily red.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #13 of 19 Old 05-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This has always been one of my favorites, excited to see it in UHD! If you are a fan check out "How did this get made Episode 28" - Always funny with a lot of investing background on the movie.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I returned the disk for a refund. I will wait for posts that the Dolby Vision version appears good and not heavily red.

Greetings,

No red tint issues with the Dolby Vision version here. Not sure what is causing the problem for you.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 19 Old 05-25-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

No red tint issues with the Dolby Vision version here. Not sure what is causing the problem for you.

Regards,
Thanks for the feedback Ralph. I tried the movie Jumanji with Dolby Vision and I have the same red tint problem so the problem is not the Crank disk.

I do not know if a loose HDMI cable can cause this problem but it is easy to check the cables.

The Oppo UDP-203 does not have any Dolby Vision adjustments and I doubt the problem is with the LG Oled.

I can also try wiring the Oppo directly to the display rather than via the Yamaha AVR.

I will devote some time to investigating tomorrow.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-26-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Ralph. I tried the movie Jumanji with Dolby Vision and I have the same red tint problem so the problem is not the Crank disk.

I do not know if a loose HDMI cable can cause this problem but it is easy to check the cables.

The Oppo UDP-203 does not have any Dolby Vision adjustments and I doubt the problem is with the LG Oled.

I can also try wiring the Oppo directly to the display rather than via the Yamaha AVR.

I will devote some time to investigating tomorrow.
The Dolby Vision red tint started after Black Hawk Down 5/19 and is present on Crank 5/24.

I am going to try playing a Netflix film streaming in Dolby Vision and see if it plays OK

post #17 of 19 Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I do not remember seeing this movie before even though it is over a dozen years old. I need to put this on my rental queue. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Ralph!

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #18 of 19 Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Dolby Vision red tint started after Black Hawk Down 5/19 and is present on Crank 5/24.

I am going to try playing a Netflix film streaming in Dolby Vision and see if it plays OK
I found the solution to the pink screen with a search in the Blu-ray player thread - Oppo-UDP-203:
"The latest Oppo firmware when set on Auto on some sets like the E6 would mistakenly send the player-led signal giving the pink screen described, manually setting the OPPO to display-led would resolve it, easy peasy."
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinne13 View Post
This has always been one of my favorites, excited to see it in UHD! If you are a fan check out "How did this get made Episode 28" - Always funny with a lot of investing background on the movie.
One of the best episodes of how did this get made IMO. I LOVE this movie for the sheer over the top attitude of it, Crank2 also. the stories in HDTGM about Bai Ling improvising are HILARIOUS.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews