13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

In 2012, the threat level in Benghazi, Libya was deemed "critical". When everything went wrong, six men had the courage to do what was right. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2016
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 144 minutes
Genre: Drama/Action

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: John Krasinski, Max Martini, James Badge Dale, Pablo Schreiber, Dominic Fumusa, David Costabile, Matt Letscher, David Giuntoli
Directed by: Michael Bay
Music by: Lorne Balfe
Written by: Chuck Hogan based on the book: "13 Hours" by Michael Zuckoff
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 11, 2019

"Based on the True Story"

Synopsis:

“13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi tells the incredible true story of six elite ex-military operators who fought to protect the CIA against overwhelming odds when terrorists attacked a U.S. diplomatic compound on September 11, 2012.” – Paramount Home Media Distribution.

My Take:

I reviewed the 2016 Blu-ray release of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi and, have included my comments from that review here. Ratings for film, bonus content and audio will be the same (* See Note Below), as they are identical to that release. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video are below.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi is the gripping true story of the events of September 11, 2012, when terrorists attacked the US State Department Special Mission Compound and a nearby CIA station called the Annex in Benghazi, Libya. A team of six American security operators fought to repel the attackers and protect the Americans stationed there. Those men went beyond the call of duty, performing extraordinary acts of courage and heroism, to avert tragedy on a much larger scale.

Based on the nonfiction book "13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi" by New York Times bestselling author Mitchell Zuckoff, and Members of the Annex Security Team, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi recounts the harrowing events of that fateful night. I remember reading about the incident when it hit the media although I don't recall specifics. This film tells an important story that recounts the heroism and patriotism of six members of the GRS (Global Response Staff) who responded to a critical situation in a dangerous Libyan city that was in utter chaos, with no functioning government, and Islamic militia running rampant.

I had every intention of catching this film in the theater but it just didn't work out. The trailer had me right from the start, and after seeing the movie, it pretty much lived up to expectations. As a fan of films based upon real people, especially those that draw from situations like this, I found 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi to be engaging, visceral and inspiring. Looking at it from a cinematic standpoint, it's not well-rounded, in terms of its context and character development, however it gets focus of the narrative right. Knowing that surviving members of the attack served as consultants during the making of the film, lent an air of credibility, especially when it came to depicting the critical moments, which I found to be fleshed out quite well.

I thought that the members of the cast served the film well. I like John Krasinki and felt that he did a commendable job at the forefront. Director Michael Bay's reputation precedes him, but in this case, I think he managed to shape the material, maintain the proper thematic tone and get the film's message across with the respect it deserved. Is his signature style present? Yes, but I didn’t find that it watered down the proceedings.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi isn't a perfect film but, it seems to faithfully capture the essence of its subject while paying respect to those that paid the ultimate price in order to protect their charge. Quite frankly, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong combat violence throughout, bloody images, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 98

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 98

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi was derived from a mix of film and digital sources, finished on a 2K DI and upconverted to 4K.

Let’s begin by understanding that the stylistic choices in shooting this film aren’t always lent to razor sharp imagery, and consistently natural use of color. 13 Hours looked very good on Blu-ray, so going into viewing this presentation my expectations were fairly high.

Wow! This can be a rather dark film that strives to recreate the look and feel of the Director Michael Bay’s vision. The video quality looks excellent in 1080p, but this Ultra HD rendering is something to behold. 13 Hours is a beautifully crafted film, both in narrative, and scope. In general, it is not an overtly bright film, although there are certainly bright elements. Dion Beebe’s terrific cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and emboldened contrast. The attack upon the Embassy’s outpost with its inky blacks, detailed shadows and eye-catching HDR, provides a glimpse of what lies in store.

Copious amounts of detail can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension. With the increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears sharper and vivid when compared to the 1080p version. Primary and secondary colors are beautifully rich, while whites appear gradational and vibrant. When brought together, the combination of rich color, sepia, and gradational gray tones literally pop off of the screen.

The use of HDR is spot on, driving the story’s use of visual cues offset by gleams of brilliant light that emanate from headlights, roaring flames, sparks, tracer rounds, or explosions. Specular highlights abound, occasionally resulting in reflexive blinking in response to them. The film’s plethora of shadow laden environs offer increased resolve in terms of interstitial details that promote depth of field. Blacks are inky without compromise to fidelity.

The standoffs at the Annex bring all of the presentation’s best elements together, putting on an HDR showcase that looks terrific. I was pleased with the 1080p rendering but found the Ultra HD presentation took it to the next level, allowing its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. This presentation was all that I hoped it would be.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR-10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference UHD player in DV and HDR10 on my secondary UHD player. The title looked outstanding on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I did feel that the DV presentation offered slightly richer color rendition and handling of the finest details in shadows. The former wasn’t enough of a difference to warrant a rating difference but, I felt the latter did. As I said you can’t go wrong with either.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music accompaniment. This is done to very excellent effect, creating a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events in an involving, and sometime visceral fashion. Prior to the attack at the Annex, there are several sequences that feature the sounds of helicopter props, bustling city streets and background ambience that effectively place you in the environment. Later, when things go wrong, there are a host of firefights, explosions, car chases, and pounding small arms exchanges that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position. Everything comes together in a resplendent blend of room traversing, and well-balanced sound that shows what this format is capable of.

* Note: Having now experience this Atmos track multiple times since my original review, I have increased my original rating from 96 to 98. *.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi Special Features Blu-ray
  • Legacy Bonus Features

Final Thoughts:

Based on the nonfiction book "13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi" by Mitchell Zuckoff, and Members of the Annex Security Team, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi is an engaging film that captures the essence of its subject, while paying respect to those that paid the ultimate price in order to protect their charge. This highly anticipated debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution features dazzling, reference quality Ultra HD Blu-ray, the same rip-roaring Dolby Atmos/7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD lossless immersive/ surround sound found on the previous Blu-ray release, and, legacy bonus supplements that look behind the scenes at the making of the film. Revisiting 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi on Ultra HD Blu-ray was a thoroughly engaging experience that comes highly recommend for fans. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-27-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked: 7722
Nice!

I had a good feeling about this one and pre-ordered a couple months ago.

Excellent Movie based on a true story,
The Picture Quality was outstanding on the Bluray,
The ATMOS audio was glorious.
The LFE was at the Top of the Bass Movie list in 2016

So add to that higher resolution, WCG, DV and/or HDR make's this must have!

Great to hear nothing got botched on the re-release!

Thanks Again Ralph!

Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #3 of 44 Old 05-27-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Great movie. Can't wait to watch again.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 872
The problem is that the BR disc offered so much, especially with the Atmos track, that I can't find a solid reason to upgrade to this 2k based 4k disc.
geocab likes this.
post #5 of 44 Old 05-28-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
I’ve been waiting on this one! Instant day-one purchase now that I know the video upgrade is on par with the superb audio track! Thanks, Ralph!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hi Ralph, thanks for another great review. I see that you state in your review that the PQ on the UHD disc is superior to that on the 1080p bluray disc. Can I ask if the Atmos sound track is the same one as on the bluray disc or have they somehow "enhanced" that as well? I'm guessing that the soundtracks are the same but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks and keep the great reviews coming.

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #7 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Good read @Ralph Potts, looks like double dipping is upon us again.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi Ralph, thanks for another great review. I see that you state in your review that the PQ on the UHD disc is superior to that on the 1080p bluray disc. Can I ask if the Atmos sound track is the same one as on the bluray disc or have they somehow "enhanced" that as well? I'm guessing that the soundtracks are the same but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks and keep the great reviews coming.

Cal68
Greetings,

It's the same Atmos mix Cal.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Kind of off topic, but I remember seeing the advert for this movie and thinking, Jim Halpert as a tough guy soldier...? Then a year or so ago when the ads for Amazon's Jack Ryan series started to show up, someone commented, "Jim Halpert as a tough guy...?" To which I responded, "You never saw '13 Hours' did you."
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.
post #10 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

It's the same Atmos mix Cal.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph, that's what I thought. But I just wanted to double check.

Cal68

Cal68
post #11 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Man I cannot wait to check this out. What a great movie.
SteveC356 likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #12 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
My only disagreements Ralph are that I'd give the movie a 5/5 and the Atmos score a 100--yes, the added bass response tips the scales to perfect Great review, nonetheless.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #13 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
My only disagreements Ralph are that I'd give the movie a 5/5 and the Atmos score a 100--yes, the added bass response tips the scales to perfect Great review, nonetheless.
Greetings,

Definitely minor nits buddy. All in all a great movie experience at home.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn and SteveC356 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 44 Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Looks like a double dip.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #15 of 44 Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I have not been too interested in most modern movies of late, but this one has my interest. Great review Mr. wordsmith, I mean, Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 44 Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I put off watching this when it first came out because I didn't want there to be any politics in it, especially from someone as subtle as Michael Bay but I was in the mood for a decent military action film so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did! There seemed to be nothing political about it and even a few throwaway lines didn't come off as biased one way or the other. I watched it in 4K on Google Play Movies but even that looked and sounded great. Some of the dialogue was a little much and somewhat corny but overall I thought it was a well done film that fit what I was looking for.

post #17 of 44 Old 06-06-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
I have seen the bluray at least 3 times (borrowed from library) and IMO its demo material.

I just saw its 14.99 for UHD on Amazon. I just got a new 4K tv so I'm pretty excited about getting this movie.

The question now is - which one is a better 4K movie (sound and audio) - this or Black Hawk Down? I like both the movies.
post #18 of 44 Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have seen the bluray at least 3 times (borrowed from library) and IMO its demo material.

I just saw its 14.99 for UHD on Amazon. I just got a new 4K tv so I'm pretty excited about getting this movie.

The question now is - which one is a better 4K movie (sound and audio) - this or Black Hawk Down? I like both the movies.

Greetings,

This one probably edges out Black Hawk Down for all around A/V quality but, my advice would be to get them both..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 44 Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Just watched this last night. Completely blown away by the picture quality on this movie! Michael Bay and his crew should offer classes on how to master 4k.

Add in the excellent soundtrack and you have one heck of an experience.

Just needed popcorn 🙂

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)

Last edited by GunmetalR56; 06-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #20 of 44 Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I'm definitely with Ralph on suggesting to get both but my vote is for 13 Hours from a video+audio standpoint.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #21 of 44 Old 06-17-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked: 7722
Thumbs up Scores are Bang On!

This just may be the Best looking/sounding disc in my collection.
The ATMOS/LFE was already top notch on Blu, and is still a Solid 10/10 (IMHO)

The new 4K/UHD is laser sharp, WCG very noticeable improvement over bluray
and the Dolby Vision highlights stand out against the OLED's infinite blacks
...ABSOULTELY worth the $19! ($14 if you shop around)

I typically get much better screen shots on the JVC at 120" (I'll have to replay this weekend)
The OLED screenies don't turn out very good from my smartphone camera...but here's a couple anyway

honestly, photos don't do the real PQ justice

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 06-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #22 of 44 Old 06-22-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Okay, I'm IN! Man, this "double-dipping" is making my wallet fit easily into my pocket!!

I actually thought there wasn't much room for improvement on the 1080p release but I guess I was wrong.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #23 of 44 Old 06-22-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
^^^^^^

Oh my word! Just ordered it from Amazon and the price is an absolute STEAL!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #24 of 44 Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
I had to buy this as well this week and watched it last night. Dont have anything to add that hasn't been said, but damn fine looking/sounding disc! Amazing HT experience. Good movie as well and amazing story of course. My disc froze near the end, but Amazon is sending a replacement.

Been so long since I watched my blu rental that I cant comment on how the two compare, but the 4k disc is a beauty!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-23-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I had to buy this as well this week and watched it last night. Dont have anything to add that hasn't been said, but damn fine looking/sounding disc! Amazing HT experience. Good movie as well and amazing story of course. My disc froze near the end, but Amazon is sending a replacement.

Been so long since I watched my blu rental that I cant comment on how the two compare, but the 4k disc is a beauty!

Mine freezes near the end also. Pause and play and it starts back up and finishes. The freeze is repeatable on mine.

I would say the UHD does look great, an extra oomph on color saturation, but the Bluray looks pretty damned nice on it's own.

Third time I've seen this movie. I could watch it again soon if someone asked me to run it for them.
Toe likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #26 of 44 Old 06-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Mine freezes near the end also. Pause and play and it starts back up and finishes. The freeze is repeatable on mine.

I would say the UHD does look great, an extra oomph on color saturation, but the Bluray looks pretty damned nice on it's own.

Third time I've seen this movie. I could watch it again soon if someone asked me to run it for them.
Hmmm....interesting yours freezes as well. I'll report back on the replacement and let you know if that fixed the issue.
post #27 of 44 Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I finally got a chance to see this movie which I purchased new for $11.00 on eBay. After reading Ralph's review, I'm glad I purchased it. There was so much action going on in the movie, I had to watch it twice. I will probably watch it again. I was impressed with both the picture and sound although I did not think this sounded as good as Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan. But, the sound was good enough to add it as a reference disc. Finally, while I was a fan of President Obama, I feel his Libyan foreign policy was a disaster, and he should have left Kadalfi alone as he stabilized the middle east the same way Sadaam stabilized it. These were two foreign policy blunders from both Barack and Bush.
post #28 of 44 Old 06-24-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Hmmm....interesting yours freezes as well. I'll report back on the replacement and let you know if that fixed the issue.

Yeah, I think it's when the French lady is getting on the plane.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #29 of 44 Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Yeah, I think it's when the French lady is getting on the plane.
Exactly! Same spot here.
post #30 of 44 Old 06-25-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I finally got a chance to see this movie which I purchased new for $11.00 on eBay. After reading Ralph's review, I'm glad I purchased it. There was so much action going on in the movie, I had to watch it twice. I will probably watch it again. I was impressed with both the picture and sound although I did not think this sounded as good as Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan. But, the sound was good enough to add it as a reference disc. Finally, while I was a fan of President Obama, I feel his Libyan foreign policy was a disaster, and he should have left Kadalfi alone as he stabilized the middle east the same way Sadaam stabilized it. These were two foreign policy blunders from both Barack and Bush.
Here is a thought through analysis of Benghazi. While I am sure other thoughtful critiques might reach other conclusions. I am not going to touch off this firestorm again...emotions seem to run high: https://www.vox.com/2015/10/12/94893...hazi-explained

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page