Captain Marvel Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Captain Marvel Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Captain Marvel, which follows Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, Captain Marvel is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Marvel/Disney - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 124 minutes
Genre: Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, 1080p Blu-ray: DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Brie Larson, Annette Bening, Jude Law, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Djimon Hounsou, Gemma Chan, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Clark Gregg
Directed by: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
Music by: Pinar Toprak
Written by: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck, Geneva Robertson-Dworet
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: June 11, 2019

"Witness the Rise of a Hero"

Synopsis:

“Captain Marvel is an extraterrestrial Kree warrior who finds herself caught in the middle of an intergalactic battle between her people and the Skrulls. Living on Earth in 1995, she keeps having recurring memories of another life as U.S. Air Force pilot Carol Danvers. With help from Nick Fury, Captain Marvel tries to uncover the secrets of her past while harnessing her special superpowers to end the war with the evil Skrulls.” – Disney Home Entertainment

My Take:

Set in the 1990s, “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that introduces the MCU’s first stand-alone, female-franchise title character—Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel. When we first meet Danvers, she already possesses her superhero powers, having left her earthly life behind and become a member of an intergalactic elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by their enigmatic commander, Yon-Rogg. But after Danvers has trained and worked with the Starforce team, and become a valued member¬, she finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. While on Earth she quickly lands on the radar of Nick Fury, and they must work together against a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls—the notorious Marvel bad guys made even more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities—and their leader, Talos, who is spearheading a Skrull invasion of Earth.

Growing up, I read some of Captain Marvel’s exploits in Marvel Comics. That iteration was Mar-Vell who could appear when trouble struck by exchanging atoms with Rick Jones via use of the Nega-Bans. I didn’t follow the character with any constancy, knew little about his background but, enjoyed reading the comics that I had. I do recall the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel character and caught glimpse of her in other Marvel publications but, never followed her. So, here we are with the lasts character to emerge from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I immediately knew at the end of Avengers Infinity War who Nick Fury was attempting to contact based upon the insignia on the communication device. At that point I wasn’t certain how Captain Marvel would fit into the current/continuing storyline but, I knoew that the characters presence was designed to have a big impact on the proceedings. Captain Marvel’s appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe made a big splash, bringing the character to life in apropos fashion. Giving the character her own film was definitely the next step and co-writers/directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck handled the project with aplomb.

I saw Captain Marvel opening weekend with high expectations and found that it primarily lived up to the hype. It’s not the best film to come from the Marvel Cinematic Universe but, it brings with it the studio’s penchant for thematic context, humor, action and light gravitas. I found some of the references to the historical and upcoming events to be on the gratuitous side and didn’t much care for the relationship between Fury and Danvers, finding it to be oversimplified and hurried. I liked the overall narrative surrounding Danvers and the evolution of events that transforms her into Captain Marvel.

I have heard mixed feelings on star Brie Larson’s handling of the role. Personally, I have no problem with her performance of the depiction of the character as written. I enjoyed the production elements, direction, stunt work and supporting members of the cast that helped bring Captain Marvel to the big screen.

As I stated, I saw Captain Marvel soon after it opened and enjoyed it. This second viewing was no different. I appreciated the handling of her backstory which set up her role in Avengers: End Game. I am not certain where she goes from there but, I look forward to seeing more of Captain Marvel in the MCU.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Captain Marvel comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Captain Marvel was rendered from a 6.5K/8K sources and finished on a 2K DI.

Captain Marvel is a fantasy/action-based film that is boldly colorful, relying on stylized visuals that employ stark contrast, vivid chromatic elements and lots of CGI. With an appreciable increase in detail and richness of color, the image appears refined and vivid when compared to the 1080p version, which is excellent in its own right. Primary and secondary colors emboldened, while whites appear gradational and vibrant. When brought together, the combination of color, sepia, and gradational gray tones literally pop off of the screen. Carol’s first visit to the Supreme being is a great example, as is the second but, it’s when the gloves come off in the finale that you get to see the total package.

I also enjoyed the implementation of HDR. This isn’t a consistently bright film and relies on its ability to render shadow detail and depth of filed in low lighting. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows during the low-level scenes, such as those that take during the Skrull ambush in the first act, in the records warehouse, on the farm, or aboard Mar-Vell’s laboratory ship, is immediately noticeable. The cinematography makes use of streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well, drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. In the aforementioned sequences, the blend of shadow detail/depth of field offset by the presence of light at varying levels, looked very natural.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times, the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, costumes and interior sets is resolvable. The exterior shots, and CGI featured in the film have superb depth which adds an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic to them.

The difference between viewing Captain Marvel in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day but, there is no question that it benefitted from the increase in resolution, emboldened color and high dynamic range treatment. I thought that this presentation faithfully mimicked the theatrical experience.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety, which was welcomed. Its use of audio objects placed above is comprised of a mix of atmospherics, panning fills and discrete sounds. This is done to good effect when implemented and creates an enriching level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Nearfield sound placement is noteworthy, providing an involving listening experience that emboldens the "being there" effect when applied. Audio object placement, from both above, and in the ear level listening plane are put to effective use. The various sounds and atmospherics, in small and large spaces, feel more realistic in terms of their acoustics and size.

The sound mix creates an engaging level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events when there’s butt kicking afoot. During the film’s hand to hand or larger scale encounters the use of discretely placed objects is ramped up, placing you inside the action. The music is mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. While this presentation may not make constant use of attention-grabbing audio object placement, I found myself completely involved when it mattered. Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that absolutely complimented the source material.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Captain Marvel comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Captain Marvel looks great on Blu-ray.

I had high expectations for this soundtrack on Blu-ray and this 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD (Atmos core) presentation didn’t disappoint, and bested what I heard in the theater. This lossless soundtrack is reference quality and is dynamically supported which accents the active nature of the sound design. Dialog has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. The mix makes involving use of the surround channels as multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that they coincide with the events transpiring onscreen.

The surround mix utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate the action-based sequences which feature a solid low end. Throughout the presentation the quality of the bass is excellent, as it is fills the room with clean, resonating, low frequency detail. * Note: As with other recent Disney releases on Blu-ray I found that I needed to set playback at volumes above where I normally listen. In this case I found it to be less of an increase, only requiring a 2db boost. Once there, it played back as expected with no signs of unwanted dynamic compression.

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with this terrific soundtrack. Captain Marvel on Blu-ray is demonstrative worthy and makes for a great home theater experience.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Captain Marvel Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Captain Marvel Blu-ray
    • Alternate Movie Versions
    • Movie with Intro – An introduction by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
    • Movie with Commentary – Commentary by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
    • Featurettes:
    • Becoming a Super Hero – Follow Brie Larson's journey as she joins the MCU, and see what it takes to be a Marvel Super Hero in every sense of the word.
    • Big Hero Moment – Explore how impactful Captain Marvel's entrance into the MCU is, and how she inspires audiences around the world.
    • The Origin of Nick Fury – Witness some of the MCU’s most significant events through Nick Fury's eyes, and see how his influence helped shape the MCU.
    • The Dream Team – Discover why Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck are the perfect pair to direct Marvel Studios’ most powerful hero.
    • The Skrulls and the Kree – Take a deeper look into the Skrulls and the Kree, their ongoing conflict, and the importance of shifting perspectives in the film.
    • Hiss-sterical Cat-titude – The cast and crew dish on working with Goose and the raw talent it takes to portray such a complex character on-screen.
    • Deleted Scenes
    • “Who Do You Admire Above All Others?” - Kree Commander Yon-Rogg must answer to the Supreme Intelligence, who questions his leadership ability.
    • Starforce Recruits - Yon-Rogg lectures a roomful of students on the Kree's mission to defend all nations from the scourge of the Skrulls.
    • Heading to Torfa - Vers (Danvers) and her fellow Starforce members banter as they prepare for their rescue mission to Torfa.
    • “What, No Smile?” - In this alternate version of a scene from the movie, Vers is consulting a map when she receives a dubious offer of assistance.
    • Black Box - Keller attempts to track Vers and Fury after their escape in a quadjet from the Joint USAFA Facility.
    • Rookie Mistake - Novice S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson helps Director Keller out of an embarrassing situation.
    • Gag Reel – The fate of the universe hangs in the balance as the cast battles props, flubs and Flerkens in these outtakes from the set.

Digital Exclusives:
    o Journey into Visual Effects with Victoria Alonso – Experience how filmmakers' visions of the MCU come to life on-screen through the skill of the Visual Effects team.
    • What Makes a Memory: Inside the “Mind Frack” – What does it take to craft an action-packed sequence for a Marvel Studios film? Nothing short of an epic team effort!
    • Concept Art – Explore artwork from “Captain Marvel” and trace the visual development of characters.
    • On-Set Images – Uncover a trove of behind-the-scenes and production photography.
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Captain Marvel is the latest character to leap from the pages of Marvel Comics to the big screen. I found it to be an entertaining action/adventure that hit more than missed thanks to the efforts of the creative team and cast. It comes to Blu-ray in this Cinematic Universe Edition from Disney Home Entertainment featuring top notch Ultra HD video, excellent lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive listening experience and a fan friendly supplemental package that is worth exploring. Captain Marvel sparkles on Blu-ray and comes highly recommended for fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Can’t wait to be able to sit down with this one again. My wife and I saw it in the theater and enjoyed the movie but the overall experience was tainted by the theater itself, lousy picture, underwhelming sound, about 20 kids under the age of 10. (can’t for the life of me remember why I let her talk me into goin) might have to order this one right away. Can’t wait to see this on my own couch with a cold beer and some real bass.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut), PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
Sony X800
post #3 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thank you for this review. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this looks on my OLED. I enjoyed the film and will be proud to have this in my collection.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank you for the review Ralph!
I enjoyed this movie in the theatre, and am really looking forward to watching it at home on my own systems.
I think i have enjoyed the origin stories more than some of the sequels and this one was no exception.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Thanks Ralph. Once again your review is proof that great minds think alike I watched the movie again over at a friend's who had bought the UHD version from VUDU (on an LG 65" C8 OLED). I actually enjoyed the film more the second time than the first time in the theater. Watching Brie Larson again convinced me that she was perfectly cast as Captain Marvel. Her bearing, how the suit in both color schemes looked on her and the way in which she used her eyes in her acting sold me. She had a range of expressions with her eyes that were spot on. The snarky and sarcastic looks were especially funny and effective.

The streamed UHD image from VUDU was very good and the Atmos sound, once the volume was kicked up a bit, was solid. I would think that both would be somewhat better on the disc based version. My feeling is that, even more than some of the other top Marvel releases, I'll be watching Captain Marvel numerous times without it getting old. I have just found it to be that enjoyable. It's a morning one purchase for me. Considering that the movie made almost 1.3 billion dollars at the box office world wide, I'd imagine that Mickey's treasury is going to grow by a few more quid when the disc version comes out next week.
post #6 of 47 Old 06-03-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Great review @Ralph Potts , I saw this in the theater, and now can't wait to crank it up at the house. Interesting, and true comment on Disney releases, and glad to hear that you di not have to adjust too much for this flick.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Thanks for another great review Ralph. I saw this movie in the theaters when it came out and agree with just about everything you said in your review. But I'll add that I felt that the movie could have been better with a little more editing. I felt that it was about 20 min too long, especially at the end (I'm not going to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it by spelling out which scenes I felt could have been edited down). I really liked the first half of the movie more than the second half. But based upon your review of the UHD disc, I think that a rental is on the cards for me!

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #8 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Didn't love the movie. But plan to watch again to see if better on second viewing.
Ralph Potts and RonAlam like this.
post #9 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Thought this was okay the first time. Thought a lot less of it the 2nd time. I'm glad it looks good and all, but I imagine it'll be quite a long time before I get around to actually watching it again. As it is, it's only going in my collection because I have all of the other MCU films.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #10 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Saw it in the theater. It just didn't engage me. I have no intention of buying. I liked Brie in Room but as Captain Marvel no. The movie needed a better script.
RonAlam and NSCTripleAgent like this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #11 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Thanks for the review! I didn't get to see this in theaters but me and my wife streamed it over this past weekend. I'm in agreement with you, not understanding all the hate she got. My wife and I both agreed that it was a great movie and Captain Marvel is now one of our favorite Marvel films and characters. Watched it again the next day and it still stood up, this will be one I go back to often.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #12 of 47 Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 528
thanks for the good review Ralph. the wife and I wen to see it in the theater and really enjoyed it, but the sound was weak in the theater. I preordered the UHD STEEL BOOK as soon as I got home from the movie seeing it in the theater. Can't wait to see it on LG E6 and hear it my new ATI AT527NC amp.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 47 Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
For its presentation in Ultra HD Captain Marvel was rendered from a 6.5K/8K sources and finished on a 2K DI.

I just love how lazy/cheap the studios continue to be.
mttpalmer and RDalton like this.
post #14 of 47 Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 736
So, so tired of these kiddie films. Once in a while, fine, but this is 90 percent of what Hollywood is producing these days. Marvel, DC, and Fast and Furious.

When's the next Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Interstellar, Inception, etc?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #15 of 47 Old 06-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hated this film, and I love almost all of the MCU films. Fury and Colson were the only characters I liked. To each their own, though.
RonAlam likes this.
post #16 of 47 Old 06-07-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Nice review Ralph. Wife and I seen this about two weeks after its release. I felt it was important to see it before Endgame. I didn't have the highest hopes going into it but I was pleasantly surprised. Not the best movie but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the time period as I was a teen around that time.

Im VERY VERY excited to see your audio scores Ralph! I was hoping Disney would end its poor audio mixes. This one sounds like a good start!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #17 of 47 Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCTripleAgent View Post
Hated this film, and I love almost all of the MCU films. Fury and Colson were the only characters I liked. To each their own, though.
I totally see your point. There was a few times I asked myself "is this a boring movie or is it just me?"

Fury and Colson were my favorite part of the movie too.
NSCTripleAgent likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #18 of 47 Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked: 2504
I wonder if this Atmos track is another in a long line of fixed Atmos print-outs from The Mouse.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #19 of 47 Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Great review Ralph. We agree on this one
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #20 of 47 Old 06-10-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Heading to Walmart to pick up Captain Marvel! Hope they have them out. Last time I had to ask an employee to get one from the back for me because the guy forget to start putting them out after midnight.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #21 of 47 Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
My disc was just delivered! Really looking forward to re-watching this one with my son this weekend.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #22 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Disc arrived today!

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #23 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 504
I saw this twice in theaters (one was in the Dolby cinema), and was impressed by the sound mix both times. Very dynamic and a full, aggressive low-end. Glad to see that that followed through to the disc.

Loved the movie BTW. The salty-boy fem-hater trend reminds me of the "queefing" episode from South Park. I'm convinced if Return of the King came out today, it'd get derided for being too PC ("I AM NO MAN!!").

Only issue I had with it was the way-too-quick progression from unlocking her powers to suddenly fully harnessing her powers (I had the same issue with other Capt's big moment in Endgame). Not to mention that mega-OP characters are boring (e.g. superman)... unless it's satirical a la One-Punch Man. And I wish I had been informed I needed a rewatch of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 prior to this.
post #24 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Nice review Ralph. Wife and I seen this about two weeks after its release. I felt it was important to see it before Endgame. I didn't have the highest hopes going into it but I was pleasantly surprised. Not the best movie but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the time period as I was a teen around that time.

Im VERY VERY excited to see your audio scores Ralph! I was hoping Disney would end its poor audio mixes. This one sounds like a good start!
Quote:
Heading to Walmart to pick up Captain Marvel! Hope they have them out. Last time I had to ask an employee to get one from the back for me because the guy forget to start putting them out after midnight.
Wow this movie is just awesome! I liked it in theaters but after watching it in my own theater I must say I LOVE this movie now! I got immersed into the movie sooo much more then at AMC, with the popcorn munchers and people talking and crazy kids bouncing around. I loved the story and Brie Larson is so cute too. Shes great.

The audio is one of the best mixes ive heard from Disney in a long time. Props. Huge dynamics, I love it. And the video was pure eye candy. You were spot on Ralph with your scores (as usual). I wasn't even aware that the movie had such deep blacks since it looked so washed out the first time. Sure is something how much more I enjoyed Captain Marvel at home compared to the local AMC close to my house. In the future I will travel to a better cinema or just wait till it comes out on disc.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #25 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Wow this movie is just awesome! I liked it in theaters but after watching it in my own theater I must say I LOVE this movie now! I got immersed into the movie sooo much more then at AMC, with the popcorn munchers and people talking and crazy kids bouncing around. I loved the story and Brie Larson is so cute too. Shes great.

The audio is one of the best mixes ive heard from Disney in a long time. Props. Huge dynamics, I love it. And the video was pure eye candy. You were spot on Ralph with your scores (as usual). I wasn't even aware that the movie had such deep blacks since it looked so washed out the first time. Sure is something how much more I enjoyed Captain Marvel at home compared to the local AMC close to my house. In the future I will travel to a better cinema or just wait till it comes out on disc.
Greetings,

Woo Hoo! Glad to hear it Reddig...

Regards,
Reddig likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #26 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Since it's blazing hot around my way I was home with the AC on and watched Captain Mavel 4K. The 4K image was somewhat better than the VUDU release that I saw last week but the audio was definitely a step up. The Atmos soundtrack was very immersive with only a modest increase in my AVR's volume level. Since I had the house to myself, I decided to really ramp up the volume well beyond my normal listening levels and the soundtrack just rocked with an excellent low end and a crystal clear top end. Disney appears to be slowly but surely addressing its "Atmouse" issues. Hopefully it will not regress back to its weaker efforts. As far as the movie itself goes, thus was my third viewing and I love it more with each look. I just adore Brie Larson in this role and the rest of the cast is outstanding.
Ralph Potts, pspoar and Reddig like this.
post #27 of 47 Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1912
I just finished watching the 1080p Blu-ray Ralph and this is one of those "rare occasions" where we disagree on the PQ. I thought it had quite a bit of "inherent softness," most notably in heavy CGI scenes. Black levels suffered too at times but thankfully all of the "space scenes" featured inky blacks with amazing star fields. Colors were on the muted side (till Captain Marvel got her new suit!) and depth was lacking. Besides the fantastic space scenes, I was impressed with most of the outdoor, daytime scenes.

The movie was NOT that engaging, though Samuel Jackson gave his usual spot-on performance, along with his feline friend.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #28 of 47 Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I just finished watching the 1080p Blu-ray Ralph and this is one of those "rare occasions" where we disagree on the PQ. I thought it had quite a bit of "inherent softness," most notably in heavy CGI scenes. Black levels suffered too at times but thankfully all of the "space scenes" featured inky blacks with amazing star fields. Colors were on the muted side (till Captain Marvel got her new suit!) and depth was lacking. Besides the fantastic space scenes, I was impressed with most of the outdoor, daytime scenes.

The movie was NOT that engaging, though Samuel Jackson gave his usual spot-on performance, along with his feline friend.

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts/impressions Denny. Catch you on the next one...

Regards,
djoberg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 47 Old 06-15-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts/impressions Denny. Catch you on the next one...

Regards,
I should have added that I agree 100% with your take on the Audio Mix. It (I listened to the DTS:Neural:X mix) was rock solid with tons of LFE/bass that reverberated across my room and the panning/discrete effects across the surround/height speakers were phenomenal. This was a treat, especially considering this was a Disney release which normally disappoints in the LFE/bass department.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
post #30 of 47 Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Ronan?

Is it just me???

I watched Captain Marvel last night for the first time. While watching the movie it appeared to me that the actor playing Ronan was different than in the Guardians or other Marvel movies. According to IMDB it is the same actor, but he looked different and definitely sounded different than in the other films. Sure the role has him wearing near violet colored makeup on all exposed skin, but still, while watching I really thought it was a different actor. He was portrayed very differently - his voice is what really made me pay attention.
thepark likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page