Alita: Battle Angel is Coming to Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Alita: Battle Angel is Coming to Blu-ray

Get Battle Ready This Summer When

Alita: Battle Angel

Arrives on Digital on July 9th and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray+Blu-ray+3D Blu-ray & DVD on July 23, 2019

Go Deeper into the World of Alita: Battle Angel

From Academy Award winners James Cameron & Jon Landau, and visionary filmmaker Robert Rodriguez comes ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL, an epic adventure of hope and empowerment. When Alita (Rosa Salazar) awakens with no memory of who she is in a future world she does not recognize, she is taken in by Ido (Christoph Waltz), a compassionate doctor who realizes that somewhere in this discarded cyborg shell is the heart and soul of a young woman with an extraordinary past. When deadly and corrupt forces come after Alita, she discovers a clue to her past - she has unique fighting abilities that those in power will stop at nothing to control. If she can stay out of their grasp, she could be the key to saving her friends, her family and the world she's grown to love.

The action-packed film, also starring Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earle Haley, and Keenan Johnson has scored $405 million at the global box-office.

Now with hours of extensive special features the home entertainment release takes you behind-the-scenes with James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez to see the journey from Manga to Screen and what it took to bring Alita to life. Plus, go deeper into the universe of ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL, where you’ll learn about the past, the characters of the present, and the thrilling sport of Motorball.

Add ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL to your Digital collection on Movies Anywhere July 9 and buy it on 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray™ 3D, Blu-ray™, and DVD July 23.

(more)

Alita: Battle Angel Blu-ray™ Special Features

• Alita’s World - get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
o The Fall - a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita’s return 300 years later.
o Iron City - Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
o What it Means to be a Cyborg - hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
o Rules of the Game - A high-octane “crash course” in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
• From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro’s beloved manga, “Gunnm,” and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
• Evolution of Alita - how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
• Motorball - go inside Iron City’s favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
• James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A moderated by Jon Landau.
• Robert Rodriguez’s 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate - a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
• 2005 Art Compilation (2019) - James Cameron’s original compilation of concept art for the then-titled “Battle Angel: Alita,” presented with new voiceover and music.
• Scene Deconstruction - view three different stages of the production - the original live action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX from four different scenes
o I Don’t Even Know My Own Name
o Just an Insignificant Girl
o I’m a Warrior Aren’t I?
o Kansas Bar

Alita: Battle Angel DVD Special Features
• Alita’s World - get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
o The Fall - a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita’s return 300 years later.
o Iron City - Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
o What it Means to be a Cyborg - hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
o Rules of the Game - A high-octane “crash course” in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.

(more)

Alita: Battle Angel DVD Special Features - continued
• From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro’s beloved manga, “Gunnm,” and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.

Alita: Battle Angel Digital Special Features
• Evolution of Alita - how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
• Motorball - go inside Iron City’s favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
• Musical Themes - Composer Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) offers an in-depth examination of the key musical themes of his Alita: Battle Angel score.
• Robert Rodriguez’s 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate - a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
• Streets of Iron City - Director Robert Rodriguez gives a set tour of Iron City, with cast and crew insights, and a behind-the-scenes look at the city’s creation.
o Iron City
o Scrapyard
o Ido’s Clinic
o Cathedral
o Ambush Alley
o Vector’s Office and the Factory
o Kansas Bar

(more)

Alita: Battle Angel Digital Special Features - continued
• Allies and Adversaries - meet the allies and adversaries that Alita encounters in Iron City.
o Zapan
o Dr. Dyson Ido
o Grewishka
o Nyssiana
o Romo
o McTeague
o Vector
o Chiren
o Hugo
• James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A, moderated by producer Jon Landau.
• Production Materials - explore the initial vision for the movie with art reels from 2005 and 2016.
o 2005 Art Compilation (2019) - James Cameron’s original compilation of concept art for the then-titled “Battle Angel: Alita,” presented with new voiceover and music.
o 2016 Art Reel - Lightstorm Entertainment and Robert Rodriguez’s 2016 compilation of concept art reflecting the design of the final film.
• Scene Deconstruction - view three different stages of the production - the original live action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX cut from four different scenes
o I Don’t Even Know My Own Name
o Just an Insignificant Girl
o I’m a Warrior Aren’t I?
o Kansas Bar
• Theatrical Trailers
o Alita - Official Trailer
o Alita - Battle Ready Trailer

(more)

Alita: Battle Angel 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray™ 3D Specifications
Street Date: July 16, 2019
Screen Format: 16:9 (2.39:1)
HDR Formats for 4K UHD: Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10
Audio for 4K UHD: English Dolby Atmos, English DTS-HD MA 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles for 4K UHD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Audio for Blu-ray 3D: English DTS-HD-MA 7.1, English Dolby Digital 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles for Blu-ray 3D: English SDH, Spanish, French
Total Run Time: Approximately 122 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and some language

Alita: Battle Angel Blu-ray™ Specifications
Audio: English DTS-HD-MA 7.1, English Dolby Digital 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1,
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
U.S. Rating: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and some language

Alita: Battle Angel DVD Specifications
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby Digital 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0, French Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'd have thought that Cameron, if anyone, would have fought to include ATMOS on the 3D disc, as he's a big fan of 3D. It's almost as if the distributors/studios/whomever want the format to have zero chance.......really a shame for fans of 3D.
Rengozu likes this.

Last edited by John^Galt; 06-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I am so stoked for this release! I have small kids and didn't get to the theater to see the movie, so I have pre-ordered and plan to watch it the same night I receive it in the mail! Only question is which version do I watch first, the 4k version or the 3D version. Tough choice!
ImaStar and Ralph Potts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5948
Quote:
Originally Posted by John^Galt View Post
I'd have thought that Cameron, if anyone, would have fought to include ATMOS on the 3D disc, as he's a big fan of 3D.
Fox treats Atmos as a 4K UHD exclusive; they've never put Atmos on Blu-ray (or 3D Blu-ray). Same with Disney.

Sanjay
post #5 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I already have my pre-order in for the non-steel book version. I didn't opt for the Steel book because it didn't include the standard Blu-Ray disk. Though I do prefer the box cover. Hopefully they did a good job on the transfer. Thanks Ralph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I am so stoked for this release! I have small kids and didn't get to the theater to see the movie, so I have pre-ordered and plan to watch it the same night I receive it in the mail! Only question is which version do I watch first, the 4k version or the 3D version. Tough choice!
Not a tough choice for me. Forget the fact I don't have 4k setup yet anyway, I'd still default to 3D. I've done that with most of my collection. I watched the 2D versions and then the 3D and only watch the 3D versions since. Far more immersive imo. In any case, we are fully covered with a backward and forward compatibility in a single offering.

BTW: I haven't seen this movie yet even though I really wanted to but never got around to it. So it'll be a double treat for me.
m0j0, tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.

Last edited by magnification; 06-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Fox treats Atmos as a 4K UHD exclusive; they've never put Atmos on Blu-ray (or 3D Blu-ray). Same with Disney.
Hopefully the timestamps are identical so we can just mux the Atmos tack onto the 3D disc.
post #7 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
This most certainly appears to be MY kind of movie. I've had on "pre-order" since the get-go!!
post #8 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Atmos on the 3D disc AND expanded IMAX framing would've made this the the perfect release!

As it stands, I'm quite pleased (and pleasantly surprised) that we're getting a 4K+3D combo pack.
post #9 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5948
Saw this movie theatrically in IMAX 3D (laser projector, 12-track immersive audio) and it was one of the best (most natural) 3D experiences I've ever had.

Sanjay
post #10 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Atmos on the 3D disc AND expanded IMAX framing would've made this the the perfect release!

As it stands, I'm quite pleased (and pleasantly surprised) that we're getting a 4K+3D combo pack.
Hopefully it sells quite well sending a message to the industry that this is exactly the kind or release we expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Saw this movie theatrically in IMAX 3D (laser projector, 12-track immersive audio) and it was one of the best (most natural) 3D experiences I've ever had.
That's good to hear about the 3D. It's not faux 3d or rather retroconverted to 3D in post production. Alita was shot with James Cameron's own state-of-the-art 3D cameras that he'd used for his deep-sea docs. Not that I mind faux 3D. I can't tell you how many times I watched The Martian which was not shot in native 3D but was retroconverted 3D.
sdurani, Ralph Potts and dfa973 like this.
post #11 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Yeah!
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #12 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
Hopefully the timestamps are identical so we can just mux the Atmos tack onto the 3D disc.
Hi, if it's not identical, it's relatively straight forward to fix. I've done this several times with 3D + ATMOS remuxes and will post details if this turns out to be the case.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this in 3D!
post #13 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 963
I'm looking forward to finally see this film. The trailer looked very promising but we never got around to go to the cinema.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #14 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
4k and 3d in the same set? Nice!
magnification and Ralph Potts like this.
post #15 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Was excited to see a big new 3D release in the US, but also sad about the lack of Atmos as a mix option for it.

I've really got to get motivated to figure out the best way to mux up and play some of my favorites.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #16 of 48 Old 06-15-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Thanks for the heads-up Ralph! This is a must buy for me, even though my Sony 940D LCD (which had 3D) died a few months ago and I replaced it with an LG OLED (with NO 3D). I trust the 4K/UHD version with Dolby Atmos will be reference quality...giving us the EYE & EAR CANDY that we crave!
Ralph Potts and ImaStar like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #17 of 48 Old 06-15-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post

Watch it in 3d first should be good. Ive seen the movie. I have a 3d tv so i plan on getting this version.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 48 Old 06-15-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Watch it in 3d first should be good. Ive seen the movie. I have a 3d tv so i plan on getting this version.
Sounds like good advice, I think that is what I will do.
post #19 of 48 Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This is the way movies should be released here in the states! Dont make us search for 3D flicks overseas! I hope they see the sells in this and all companies copy it. This movie is a must in 3D! I saw it in Dolby Theater and couldnt wait for the home release! Every home theater fan should pre order and own this movie, the sound is amazing too! Def a demo worthy disc!
magnification likes this.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #20 of 48 Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
I hope they see the sells in this and all companies copy it.
I did my part twice now. I ended up ordering the Steel Book as well the other day.
post #21 of 48 Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
I did my part twice now. I ended up ordering the Steel Book as well the other day.
I wanted the steelbook initially but was sold out and did the regular. I checked again just for kicks and it let me pre order , so i ordered it as well..
Thanks!
magnification likes this.

post #22 of 48 Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
If you don't watch this movie in 3D then you're not watching it in the format in which the director intended it to be seen.

Who cares I guess, since directors intend movies to be seen in theatres without HDR and most here watch them at home with HDR.

Fifteen years ago people on this forum cared what the directors' intent was but that seems to be much less of a concern now.
post #23 of 48 Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If you don't watch this movie in 3D then you're not watching it in the format in which the director intended it to be seen.

Who cares I guess, since directors intend movies to be seen in theatres without HDR and most here watch them at home with HDR.

Fifteen years ago people on this forum cared what the directors' intent was but that seems to be much less of a concern now.
Exactly. I actually confess to some vanishingly, virtually insignificant interest in director intent. I'd certainly not object to the inclusion of a segment in the supplemental materials highlighting what the director had in mind, for those with the curiosity to wade through that. Again: I confess to having investigated such "extras" a few times.

But the film either delivers or does not. If the director intended an epic for the ages, but delivers a boring farce, what does it matter what he had in mind? If the director aspires to awe with the visuals but has produced something unwatchable, then people won't care what he was shooting for-- as it should be.

As the end consumer of entertainment, it either meets my needs, or does not. Just as with an oil painting, if it looks like junk, then by definition it is, and thereby perhaps merits no further attention -- visual aesthetic being the salient objective, no amount of what the artist had in mind will ever compensate for failing its mission, or supplant the indispensable raison de etre.

A film that fails to entertain, even perhaps to the point that no one ever makes it through it, has failed no matter what he might share about lofty objectives. Though, again, artist intent may bear upon a historical/genealogical narrative for the work, whatever that may be worth.

I think too, often enough, an artist or director may have very little sense of what was created. The end consumer and the work's resonance through time will define that in a much more meaningful sense, though it still may constitute a minor curiosity what the creator was shooting for, or had in mind.

As to 3D -- I don't happen to like the glasses, so I either watch 2D, or nothing. If it was only released as a 3D -- sorry, not watching it, no matter what it is, who made it, or what they want you to think about it -- just the way it is....

Just my $.02.....and undoubtedly worth even less than artist intent....
shivaji likes this.
post #24 of 48 Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good in the theater but not a purchase worthy film for my library....
post #25 of 48 Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

15 years ago I found theatrical experiences poor, they are somewhat better today, but so is my gear. I get what you saying, but if the industry solely relied on cinefiles, they would be broke by now.

The Hun
post #26 of 48 Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Exactly. I actually confess to some vanishingly, virtually insignificant interest in director intent. I'd certainly not object to the inclusion of a segment in the supplemental materials highlighting what the director had in mind, for those with the curiosity to wade through that. Again: I confess to having investigated such "extras" a few times.

But the film either delivers or does not. If the director intended an epic for the ages, but delivers a boring farce, what does it matter what he had in mind? If the director aspires to awe with the visuals but has produced something unwatchable, then people won't care what he was shooting for-- as it should be.

As the end consumer of entertainment, it either meets my needs, or does not. Just as with an oil painting, if it looks like junk, then by definition it is, and thereby perhaps merits no further attention -- visual aesthetic being the salient objective, no amount of what the artist had in mind will ever compensate for failing its mission, or supplant the indispensable raison de etre.

A film that fails to entertain, even perhaps to the point that no one ever makes it through it, has failed no matter what he might share about lofty objectives. Though, again, artist intent may bear upon a historical/genealogical narrative for the work, whatever that may be worth.

I think too, often enough, an artist or director may have very little sense of what was created. The end consumer and the work's resonance through time will define that in a much more meaningful sense, though it still may constitute a minor curiosity what the creator was shooting for, or had in mind.

As to 3D -- I don't happen to like the glasses, so I either watch 2D, or nothing. If it was only released as a 3D -- sorry, not watching it, no matter what it is, who made it, or what they want you to think about it -- just the way it is....

Just my $.02.....and undoubtedly worth even less than artist intent....
It's not that I don't agree with much of what you say. I was just commenting on how things have changed over the last number of years. When it came to the director's intent i.e. the use of grainy film stock, most here a few years ago would have defended the director's choice but I think that's changed, at least to some extent.

We have so many ways now to make meaningful changes to the look of the video (settings that dramatically impact that look) that many consumers simply make changes that look good to them without worrying about the director and his or her intent. I don't have a problem with that.

My original comment was that the director's visual intent has been largely trumped by the end user's ability to make the video more pleasing to his or her eye, now that we have the tools as consumers to make those adjustments.

When the T.V. industry feels it is time it will release glassless 3D T.V.s. It's pretty much a given, just a question of when.
post #27 of 48 Old 06-20-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I preordered the 4K day one. We saw it in the theater, my wife introduced me to GUNNM years ago and we have the VHS OVA. The movie stays pretty true to the original story, with some well thought out changes, I think. I really hope we get sequels because there are plenty of stories to tell. There are a few spots in the movie where it really feels like the cut content for time - so I'm anticipating an extended version at some point, but I'll double-dip if that's the case.

I don't want to oversell it - it's not a perfect movie by any stretch. I also wonder if the movie is better for existing Alita fans, seems like lots of the negative/luke-warm reviews are from people not familiar with the IP.
ImaStar and Ralph Potts like this.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-22-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
It's not that I don't agree with much of what you say. I was just commenting on how things have changed over the last number of years. When it came to the director's intent i.e. the use of grainy film stock, most here a few years ago would have defended the director's choice but I think that's changed, at least to some extent.
We have so many ways now to make meaningful changes to the look of the video (settings that dramatically impact that look) that many consumers simply make changes that look good to them without worrying about the director and his or her intent. I don't have a problem with that.
My original comment was that the director's visual intent has been largely trumped by the end user's ability to make the video more pleasing to his or her eye, now that we have the tools as consumers to make those adjustments.
When the T.V. industry feels it is time it will release glassless 3D T.V.s. It's pretty much a given, just a question of when.
Thanks for your response. And I do appreciate your take on things. I'd easily go for glassless 3D, no doubt. But to the thrust of your post: yes, undeniable that I used to see many more post extolling the virtues of whatever the director had decided he wanted us to see. I participated in a few challenges to that notion -- some perhaps mounted by me, or else I chimed in on a challenge.

It would seem axiomatic that were the end consumer able to fully alter the image to adjust to taste, they would. If one could remove film grain altogether, totally replace a washed out color scheme (often intended to represent a period, or the past in general) with something more natural, stabilize a shaky camera presentation, many would opt to do exactly that, and make many more alterations beyond those. If a director were intent upon the insistence that audiences see the full potential of his work as they might envision it -- possibly only realized on a twenty-foot high screen in the cinema, projected under rigorous quality control, then they would never give their blessing to a home video release.

But their blessing, or tacit assent to this is quite obviously to advance the cause of a wider dissemination of their work, and undoubtedly cannot be easily extricated from financial objectives. So we see how important director intent really is to the director himself. Once in the home video market, anything goes, at least within the parameters of technology, so of course whether the image is projected or seen via OLED, just that consideration alone constitute a vast gamut of variability even taken by itself, let alone allowing for factors of screen adjustments, ZOOM, etc., etc.

Many people can't or won't watch shaky cam. That is an intractable issue that cannot be easily (or at all) solved by any means. Makes movies unwatchable to some. Any number of examples come to mind. The final RESIDENT EVIL had such frenetic editing that it rendered the final product virtually unwatchable to me -- another case of just bouncing the film out of contention for viewing. Because all film making of necessity involves financing, the director has limited say in the presentation that will make itself to the theaters. This is as it should be, and helps mitigate a singular self-indulgence in creative excess -- may serve to substantially broaden the scope and appeal.

I think it was the fourth AVP film that featured darkness and shadow to such degree that it makes it very unappealing to watch -- the "creative choice" there being driven by a shoestring budget which rendered special effects so far from the standard that dark was implemented simply to disguise what had been shot. The first season of series CSI NY was meant to convey gritty New York -- denatured, sickly washed-out colors. We got it -- in the first five minutes we got it. Enough already, switch over to something closer to watchable. Which they did -- to recollect, by the second season the producers had had enough and switched it over to something a good deal more palatable.

I happen to like all the real estate of my whole screen being used, and live for the day when UHD technology allows for ZOOM function. Or, ideally would prefer that the director open his matte. Many are aghast, but that is my preference, it is my home theater and my viewing experience, which still nevertheless has the director's blessing (in most cases), because they implicitly, or explicitly assent to home video release where these things are possible.

As to ALITA, I have pre-ordered this, and can hope that the image quality is to my liking. Won't be watching the 3D, but the UHD is included too, so may watch that, or blu-ray in ZOOM mode. Many UHD presentations are extremely disappointing -- SOLO being one of those that easily comes to mind -- that one I scanned for twenty minutes run-time to find something appealing to look at -- didn't find it. Removed the disc. Wasted money. I decide in my home.

Anyway, good to exchange with you!
post #29 of 48 Old 07-09-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

watched a digital version yesterday, it's an okay story with some interesting characters. this was a green screen/cgi extravaganza but not as polished as Avatar was, however this was a different world so the look might be intentional, much like Ready Player One. Still I expect a noticeable jump from the 4K version, especially with the Atmos mix. The 5.1 mix/ DD encode I heard was rather pedestrian in this day and age.
Ralph Potts likes this.

The Hun
post #30 of 48 Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
watched a digital version yesterday, it's an okay story with some interesting characters. this was a green screen/cgi extravaganza but not as polished as Avatar was, however this was a different world so the look might be intentional, much like Ready Player One. Still I expect a noticeable jump from the 4K version, especially with the Atmos mix. The 5.1 mix/ DD encode I heard was rather pedestrian in this day and age.
I think this movie NEEDS to be watched in 3D. I don’t think regular would do it any justice. And sucks for the people who don’t have 3D. I saw it and theater and can’t wait till my movie arrives.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page