Sony Pictures Home Entertainment 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Poll - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 53 Old 06-15-2019, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Big Fish would be nice to see in 4K and an Atmos soundtrack for that, Drive and Snatch would be awesome too.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Another vote here for Lawrence of Arabia.

Unfortunately, since the survey is only open for residents of the US, I don't actually get to vote. So I can only hope that in addition to the data gathering, Sony bigwigs are also reading this forum...

Lawrence is, in IMHO, quite the best movie ever made. I have seen it many times theatrically (e.g. at Empire, Leicester Square, London) and on DVD and Blu.

The remaster is excellent but why only a streaming distribution? I suspect many are disappointed by the decision that Sony would not be releasing a 4K disc. Maybe they will change their mind? I hope they are not locked into some contract about 'streaming only' and that the decision is reversible.

If this survey generates enough interest and a disc is made, then Sony, take my money. (Yes, I bought the streaming copy on AppleTV already, but would cheerfully pony up for a disc).
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #33 of 53 Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15452
Man, there's nothing in question 1 on that list that I'd buy. Wrote in 1982's Spring Break. It's a classic.
tenthplanet likes this.

Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 06-15-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I wasn't too excited by anything in that survey except for Heavy Metal.
tenthplanet and Joshua Chmiel like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #35 of 53 Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Yikes, I really don't follow what studio is doing what film. I had no idea how pathetic the Sony catalog is. It's 90% crappy knockoff of something else that was just popular (not even necessarily good).
Big Fish is the only thing I see that isn't already 4k that I would consider.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
post #36 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I didn't find the request for name, DOB, gender and e-mail address to be intrusive. I suspect that this basic information is designed to assist with determining a demographic.

Regards,

Gender and maybe DOB would be fine, and even an email address is alright. But they certainly don't need my name for a survey
post #37 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Of the entire list of 260 titles presented here by PGWALSH, (he left out Men In Black 1), I would buy and consider just 13 in total from the list. Currently I own just 4 of those listed here, the 1st 3 MIB and Bladerunner.

As WOOKIEGR said, the Sony list is the least interesting set of titles of any of the movie houses, so there are few to excite. Most titles in the list of 260 presented here don't justify 'upgrading' to 4K. BUT-Lawrence of Arabia, Elysium, Hellboy 1&2, Memoirs of a Geisha, Passengers (I am a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan) and the Bond films I would buy.
post #38 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 PM

I feel that we have missed the fact that Sony Pictures has consumed more than one studio. The Columbia list is HUGE. Some titles from them are listed here but most are not. The back catalogue dates back to 1924, not that any more deserve to be upgraded.

A few to add, maybe...

3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Three Stooges Meets Hercules (1962) {just joking)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
Gandhi (1982)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Gattaca (1997)
Chappie

Perusing the Columbia/Sony titles list of 100+ movies since 1924, there are surprisingly few titles worth the trouble of upgrading to 4K UHD disc.
This is not a put-down of the movies themselves but a realisation that, given the themes and storylines, most are fine in HD.

For me, the real push for upgrading any titles is to expose and enhance the levels of detail. If most detail is lost to bokeh (blurry backgrounds) there is not a lot of justification for the effort and expense, except for adding to the profit tree.
thrillcat likes this.
post #39 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I got excited until I saw the list. There is nothing there even worth voting for.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #40 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Of the entire list of 260 titles presented here by PGWALSH, (he left out Men In Black 1), I would buy and consider just 13 in total from the list. Currently I own just 4 of those listed here, the 1st 3 MIB and Bladerunner.

As WOOKIEGR said, the Sony list is the least interesting set of titles of any of the movie houses, so there are few to excite. Most titles in the list of 260 presented here don't justify 'upgrading' to 4K. BUT-Lawrence of Arabia, Elysium, Hellboy 1&2, Memoirs of a Geisha, Passengers (I am a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan) and the Bond films I would buy.

Passengers already HAS a great 4K release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #41 of 53 Old 06-17-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
That's three write-ins for Blue Thunder. Keep it goin'

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #42 of 53 Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
I feel that we have missed the fact that Sony Pictures has consumed more than one studio. The Columbia list is HUGE. Some titles from them are listed here but most are not. The back catalogue dates back to 1924, not that any more deserve to be upgraded.

A few to add, maybe...

3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Three Stooges Meets Hercules (1962) {just joking)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
Gandhi (1982)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Gattaca (1997)
Chappie

Perusing the Columbia/Sony titles list of 100+ movies since 1924, there are surprisingly few titles worth the trouble of upgrading to 4K UHD disc.
This is not a put-down of the movies themselves but a realisation that, given the themes and storylines, most are fine in HD.

For me, the real push for upgrading any titles is to expose and enhance the levels of detail. If most detail is lost to bokeh (blurry backgrounds) there is not a lot of justification for the effort and expense, except for adding to the profit tree.

Bram Stoker's Dracula has already been out on UHD Bluray for a while now...

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #43 of 53 Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
^^
Otherwise, it may only get streamed. I read a few months ago that Sony has done a 4K version of Lawrence but only intends to release it on a streaming platform, I think it was Apple. So if folks really want to see it on UHD, better use this poll to ask for it.
Yes, it is already available on iTunes and Amazon Video (supposedly Amazon is superior quality) and Kaleidescape. I'm resisting the temptation and holding out for UHD BD!

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #44 of 53 Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula has already been out on UHD Bluray for a while now...
True, but as a UHD?
post #45 of 53 Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Passengers already HAS a great 4K release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it has, my mistake. Great movie, great actors.
post #46 of 53 Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekatoad View Post
Gender and maybe DOB would be fine, and even an email address is alright. But they certainly don't need my name for a survey
Using my details as relevant data for demographics for screw the results. I am 75, male and love superheroes, animation, so-called kids movies and lots of "chick-flicks" (no gender slur intended).
post #47 of 53 Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
It's seems obvious (to me) that Sony is determined to reserve 4K Lawrence of Arabia for streaming (Apple?)

To call some of these "modern classics" is amusing, like Zathura...please And a title like Rudy was a great feel-good, inspiring drama but I don't need to buy it again on 4K or to get Atmos.

For the record, I have a number of these titles already on BD & even DVD (Jerry Maguire) & aren't persuaded to buy them again just for 4K/Atmos.

The only titles that could entice me are Das Boot, Passage to India, Remains of the Day, possibly Awakenings although the BD is again just fine. Someone mentioned they added Blue Thunder - that would be an interesting choice, might be interested in that

Without Lawrence of Arabia, Sony's list is underwhelming me for 4K double or triple-dips. If Warner Brothers gave us 2001, A Space Odyssey in a gorgeous 4K release, Sony should cough up LoA.
I totally agree with the above, especially the last paragraph about LoA. Come on Sony, release the UHD for those of us who still prefer to watch movies on shiny discs that have Dolby Atmos/DTS-X sound!

Cal68

Cal68
post #48 of 53 Old 06-19-2019, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
True, but as a UHD?

Greetings,

Yes, on Ultra HD Blu-ray. I reviewed it when it was released a few years ago.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
post #49 of 53 Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
Yes, it is already available on iTunes and Amazon Video (supposedly Amazon is superior quality) and Kaleidescape. I'm resisting the temptation and holding out for UHD BD!
My guess is the TRT of this film is what's keeping it from UHD disc at the moment.

post #50 of 53 Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Seems a lot of people aren't super enthused about the offerings. That to me supports the idea that with new formats, the movies picked to be brought along do (and should) end up being only the best classics. Personally I'm only buying movies that make my all-time favorites list or have some other significance. I'm actually fortunate in this regard, as I didn't really start buying movies until a few years ago, and those were disney classics for the kids. I've had the ability to be selective about which movies to get, and I envision my collection capping out in the ~200 titles range. This goes hand in hand with the 4K vs streaming debate. For me I will own it on disc if it is a movie I want to be able to watch at anytime in the future because I loved it and want to share it with my kids when they're old enough. The rest I will simply stream because if they disappear from a service I won't be disappointed.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #51 of 53 Old 06-19-2019, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Man as others have said, so much rubbish/films I couldn't give a sh*t about seeing again or don't need to see again in that list. I literally stared at the lists for a minute or so. The only thing I came up with on first list when I came back it, which I really still have so little interest in as it is, was Captain Phillips. The other film I do like from the second part was Drive. So then I couldn't complete the survey as I'm not making stuff up to select two more titles. The rest though I are so far behind anything I'd want to own, let alone care about viewing in 4K, it's not even worth saying. Wish this was one of the other majors asking us the same question..I supposed apart from that having already seen 4K Lawrence on Sony FMP-X10 years ago, maybe a WCG version would be nice to have on disc.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-24-2019 at 12:30 AM.
post #52 of 53 Old 06-20-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
My picks:
A League of Their Own

Last Action Hero (Way underrated. As a big Awnuld fan, I hated it in the theater, but it has really grown on me over the decades)
Berry Gordy's Last Dragon ("He got dat glow in HDR!")
As Good As It Gets (It's just a great movie.)

Write-in (I did two)
Lawrence of Arabia ('Nuff said.)
The Karate Kid Part II (I and II are the only ones I need)
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #53 of 53 Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
So it has, my mistake. Great movie, great actors.
Chappie is also out on 4K UHD...surprised you mentoned it as I think Elysium and District 9 are vastly better.

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page