Shazam! Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Shazam! Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Shazam! The latest DCU adventure that tells the origin story of a streetwise fourteen-year-old named Billy Batson who proves that perhaps we all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Zachary Levi, Mark Strong, Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer, Djimon Hounsou
Directed by: David F. Sandberg
Music by: Benjamin Wallfisch
Written by: Henry Gayden
Region Code: A

Release Date: July 16, 2019

"Just Say the Word"

Synopsis:

“We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Asher Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult superhero Shazam (Zachary Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Mark Strong).” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

I must admit to being a big kid at heart. It is something that doesn’t seem to change with age so I guess I am lucky. I have always enjoyed fantasy and when heroes from the pages of comic books began making their way to the big screen, I was all in. I was more of a Marvel Comic reader as a kid but, I certainly dabbled in my share of DC comics. I really wasn’t much of a Shazam/Captain Marvel fan but, I did watch the 1970s TV series and enjoyed it, warts an all. The trailer for Shazam! didn’t really appeal to me as it really looked like more of a comedy than a dyed in the wool big budget superhero action adventure. Based on that I opted to wait for it to come to home video, despite hearing positive things about it from people, including my son, that had seen it.

Shazam! is an entertaining blend of comedy, action and drama that creates just the right mix of those elements so as to not lean too far toward one or the other. The script does a solid job of character building, especially in the case of Billy Batson/Shazam and Freddie and seems to carefully focus on the relationship between the them which is truly when the film’s spirit is found. The film’s first two acts contain its best moments while act three spends just a bit too much time on overlong sequences that needed tighter editing. Regardless, I found the action and production elements to be lots of fun to watch and appreciated the casting choices, especially those of the three principle players in Zack Levi, Jack Dylan Grazer and, Asher Angel. Honorable mention goes out to young Faithe Herman whose adorability factor simply can’t be overlooked. This is now my second viewing of Shazam and my feelings remain the same. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise which goes to show that the DCU is finding its way to providing quality genre entries that fans can be proud to own.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action, language, and some suggestive material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 100

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Shazam! comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atoms/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray Shazam! is derived from a 3.4K source. I wasn’t able to determine whether it was rendered from 2K or 4K DI. This is a top-notch Ultra HD presentation that looks superb on my large screen. What struck me from the onset is the lifelike reproduction of the textures captured by the camera's lens. Whether it be the finest minutia in physical features or textures on the surfaces of buildings, streets, office/school interiors, or the wide-angle shots of the various shooting locations, the imagery is gorgeous. The benefits of high dynamic range and wide color gamut are on display as the film’s variety of colors, particularly primary colors, have an added dimension that enlivens shots where they would normally have blended in, being seen as a less provocative background element that would generally go unnoticed. The scene in the convenience store is a great example of this.

Whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, bringing it to a visually rewarding level. Brightly lit interior scenes look great but, it’s the scenes shot at night or in the Wizard’s keep that truly standout. Chapter 6 (when Freddie and Shazam are testing out his powers) and chapter 12 (the standoff at the carnival) are my favorites. The specular highlights set against the dark backgrounds look outstanding. Shot digitally, this rendering reproduces its elements with aplomb.

Looking at the 1080p version, which is excellent as well, the difference isn’t subtle. That being said, there is no question that this is among the best-looking Ultra HD renderings I have seen. It’s that good.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Shazam!, I found the HDR renderings to be close but, the Dolby Vision presentation edged out the HDR-10 rendering. This came primarily in the form of minutely improved interstitials in blacks. I also thought that white detail fared better ever so slightly. Color rendering was a tossup, but, if I was forced to choose, I would give the nod to the Dolby Vision’s reproduction of red and blue. As I alluded to earlier, each of these presentations looked terrific, and share many of the same positive attributes. Both are simply fantastic and deserving of their technical ratings. I suspect that those capable of viewing it in Dolby Vision will find it to be just a notch above.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music accompaniment. This is done to excellent effect, creating a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events in an involving and, entertaining fashion. Right at the onset, with the film’s opening segment in the Wizard’s chamber it’s obvious that this has the potential to be solid Atmos mix. The sounds of the voices of the evil Seven are spread over the sound field, providing a 360-degree effect, that is quite cool.

Everything comes together during chapter 12, where the Shazam squares off Dr. Sivana and the Seven Deadly Sins, with a little help. There are a host of lightning bolts, nearfield pans, and flying debris that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position. It all makes for a resplendent blend of room traversing, and well-balanced sound that shows what this format is capable of. I had a great time with this superb audio mix.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Shazam! comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is a high-quality video presentation where fidelity appears intact as colors are vividly reproduced via lustrous primaries, and rich secondary hues that look beautiful in high definition. Fleshtones predominantly appear warm, and lifelike (no deduction required). Blacks are dynamic, gradationally satisfying, and deep, which is accentuated by contrast that is spot on and stable over the course of the presentation. The blend during sequences containing mixed light/dark elements looks superlative. Resolution is excellent especially during close-ups which reveal crisp definition and fine textural nuance. Wide angle shots exhibit strong dimension with appreciable object detail. Softening is apparent from time to time but appears innate to the photography. Shazam! looks terrific on Blu-ray.

The 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD (Atmos core) surround mix is excellent and features wide dynamic range, superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundstage. Front and rear channel imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable.

The music score, coupled with the integration of discrete and atmospheric surround sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The atmospheric effects associated with the various environments featured in the story sound engagingly real. Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and underscore the audio presentation with aplomb. Its palpable presence is never in question as it renders refined bass quality that kicks nicely and extends deep enough to engage the room.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Shazam! Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Shazam! Blu-ray
    • Shazam Exclusive Motion Comic
    • The Magical World of Shazam
    • Super Fun Zac
    • Carnival Scene Study, Shazamily Values
    • Shazamily Values
    • Who is Shazam?
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Gag Reel
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Shazam! brings another iconic DC superhero to the big screen. I liked the conceptual approach taken which allows the character to appeal to a broader fan base while bringing his origin story onscreen to life. It comes to Blu-ray in the Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring sparking Ultra HD video (with Dolby Vision HDR), reference quality lossless surround sound, including an engaging Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and top-notch high definition video quality. Rounding out the package is a fan friendly assortment of extras. [i]Shazam!] turned out to be a pleasant surprise which goes to show that the DCU is finding its way to providing quality genre entries that fans can be proud to own. This one is highly recommended viewing on Blu-ray at the highest quality that your home theater system can reproduce.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
aaronwt, gbaby, tjenkins95 and 6 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 875
I just did the Apple Download and thought the Dolby Atmos was excellent, debating on whether I buy the 4K disc, but based on your ratings, I might change my mind!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #3 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
I haven't paid much attention to this title, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see such a positive review, both for the A/V aspects and the film itself.

It's now a must buy. I'll thank Ralph if I agree with his sentiments.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I just did the Apple Download and thought the Dolby Atmos was excellent, debating on whether I buy the 4K disc, but based on your ratings, I might change my mind!
Wife saw this in theaters with some friends, went in with some reservations. She loved it, came home and couldn't stop talking about how good it was! Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to catch it in the theaters, but we fired it up last night in our small home theater. Casting was solid, a good balance of action and humor that wasn't entirely over-the-top. Overall, it was a very enjoyable and lighthearted movie with some emotional moments that gave the rest of the movie more depth and pulled it together. Unfortunately the pacing between action, drama, and comedy felt a bit off at times and the villain and his backstory could use more development (huge chunk was missing..no spoiler )

Overall, solid flick.
Garman and Ralph Potts like this.

Living Room-Sony 65" XBR900E, Denon X3300W, Nvidia SHIELD. 5.1.2-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE L/R, CMT-340Center, HTM-200SE Surround, RSL C34E Atmos, Sealed UM18-22 Sub.
"Micro Theater"-Optoma UHD51A, DIY 120" Spandex AT Screen, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-800X, Nvidia SHIELD. 7.2.4 - DIYSG HTM-10 LCR, RSL CG3 Surround, Micca M-8C Atmos , 2 4cuf Sealed 18-22 Ultimax.
post #5 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Shape of Grey: Spot on, I totally agree!

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
post #6 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 2905
Thanks for the review Ralph. For a DC film the humor is almost like Marvel at times, which is good, it better reflects the range of the comic books. The DC universe isn't totally a dark place all the time. The disc is added to list.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Shane from Spare Change was mostly unimpressed with the audio and video quality streaming from Apple TV. He said he will do a separate review from the 4K disk.

I'll compare his review to Ralph's and make a decision from there.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #8 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Shane from Spare Change was mostly unimpressed with the audio and video quality streaming from Apple TV. He said he will do a separate review from the 4K disk.

I'll compare his review to Ralph's and make a decision from there.
Video quality was ok, but I did notice that Atmos was very good, even on a Apple TV... I normally wait for a movie I want to buy on disc, these was a coin toss, but still might buy it on 4K disk.

post #9 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2567
In a very real sense, I get the vibe it's like the Tom Hanks movie, Big (though probably not as good), crossed with a fairly standard superhero origin story. I have normally enjoyed Zachary Levi in the few comedic shows I've seen him in (I understand he's more of a stage actor).

Maybe I'll rent Shazam! first and check it out.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-14-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #10 of 71 Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Nice rating. I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I ever expected to. Very excited to pick this one up on Friday.
tenthplanet and audiofan1 like this.

Spoiler!
post #11 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Thanks for the review!
I wasn't sure about Shazam! but I'll be picking up the UHD on the price drop.

Cheers,
tenthplanet likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #12 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
I guess I have a different type of kid inside me, since I thought most of the humor was just cringe worthy to me, however Billy's backstory was rather heartbreaking, and felt all too real compared to the rest of the film. All in all it was a "meh" experience for me and probably worth more a rental than a purchase. YMMV

PS: if you thought the Atmos was good here, wait for Alita....

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #13 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Thanks @Ralph Potts, I enjoyed the streaming, and am looking forward to the 4K disc!
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #14 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The film itself was much better than it appeared from the trailers/reviews. I enjoyed it. The A/V on the 4K version was a very good surprise. If only the Marvel titles had sound like this...
post #15 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCTripleAgent View Post
The film itself was much better than it appeared from the trailers/reviews. I enjoyed it. The A/V on the 4K version was a very good surprise. If only the Marvel titles had sound like this...

Many Disney titles have what many have dubbed "Atmouse" sound. It's really disappointing.
NSCTripleAgent and Aceklub96 like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #16 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 72
New Projector

Hi Ralph,

I see you upgraded your projector from the RS500 to the RS2000. Can you please tell me what is the difference between the two?

And what are your thoughts on the new unit? I also have a RS500.
Thanks!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Huh, I was going to rent this but maybe I'll purchase with these ratings!
Ralph Potts likes this.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #18 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Hi Ralph,

I see you upgraded your projector from the RS500 to the RS2000. Can you please tell me what is the difference between the two?

And what are your thoughts on the new unit? I also have a RS500.
Thanks!

Greetings,

Feel free to send me a PM as I would prefer not to start an off topic discussion in this review thread. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #19 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Don't agree with the video rating of 100. It certainly had some nice HDR effects so maybe a 90. I recently watched Mortal Engines... Which must have video rating of 3000 if this is 100
post #20 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Ralph

Thanks for another good review.

I ordered and should be in my player Thursday night.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #21 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Great review Ralph as always. Those ratings are wonderful and great to see! I am very very excited to pick this up at midnight and give it a spin on UHD.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #22 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really enjoyed this movie. I watched the digital download and was a little underwhelmed but I'll watch the disc tonight on my OLED and see if moves the needle.
post #23 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 551
To be honest I really had no interest in renting it or even buying it bases on the movie trailer. Since Ralph gave it such a good video and audio review I am going to pick up the 4k disc tomorrow and check it out.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #24 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dang it Ralph it would have been better if you rated this one 60 or 70 but with a review of 98 I will have to pick up the 4k version. I tend to agree with most of your reviews. I am more interested in seeing it now I was only going to rent it.
post #25 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
I just want to say I agree with Ralph 100% on this one. I love this movie and the disc is superb. But I can cite one fault: no commentary. Neither on the 4k nor regular BD. And the worst part is that the commentary is an iTunes exclusive.
post #26 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
I wanted to hate it but I was pleasantly surprised.
Absolutely deserved top scores for Audio/Video.

Watched in Dolby Vision on my OLED,
7.4.4 ATMOS audio with 4 subs and 4 Crowsons.

No complaints from me at all.
Blind Buy steekbook edition from BestBuy.

Bass was very well done compared to most Marvel flicks
(a little BassEQ helped the Single Digit Hz (left side)

Ralph Potts likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
post #27 of 71 Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
Thanks for review Ralph. Picked this up today, missed at the theatre so hopefully it will be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #28 of 71 Old 07-16-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 2905
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I wanted to hate it but I was pleasantly surprised.
Absolutely deserved top scores for Audio/Video.

Watched in Dolby Vision on my OLED,
7.4.4 ATMOS audio with 4 subs and 4 Crowsons.

No complaints from me at all.
Blind Buy steekbook edition from BestBuy.

Bass was very well done compared to most Marvel flicks
(a little BassEQ helped the Single Digit Hz (left side)

Shazam !
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #29 of 71 Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Great review. Must wait till Friday to watch it. No time and don't want to wake neighbors in the middle of the night.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #30 of 71 Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead0091 View Post
Great review. Must wait till Friday to watch it. No time and don't want to wake neighbors in the middle of the night.

Normally I wait for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon (10K+Watts of sub power on tap)
But last night we had a big thunderstorm roll in and I took full advantage of the timing

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page