Titans: The Complete First Season Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wormraper
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By JohnAV

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
Titans: The Complete First Season Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews Titans, a DV Universe original series that follows a team of young superheroes led by Nightwing (formerly Batman's first Robin) that come together to combat evil and other perils.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 501 minutes
Genre: Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.00:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Anna Diop, Teagan Croft, Ryan Potter, Minka Kelly, Alan Ritchson Seamus Dever Curran Walters, Conor Leslie, Rachel Nichols
Directed by: Various
Music by: Kevin Kiner, Clint Mansell
Written by: Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns
Region Code: A

Release Date: July 16, 2019

"Genesis"

Synopsis:

“Titans is a a DV Universe original series that follows a team of young superheroes led by Nightwing (formerly Batman's first Robin) that come together to combat evil and other perils.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

Titans follows a group of young soon-to-be Super Heroes from across the world of DC as they come of age and find belonging in a gritty take on the classic Teen Titans franchise. Former Gotham City vigilante Dick Grayson and Rachel Roth, a special young girl possessed by a strange darkness, get embroiled in a conspiracy that could unleash Hell on Earth. Joining them in their quest are the mysterious Starfire and loveable Beast Boy. Together they become a surrogate family and team of heroes while battling villains, demonic forces … and encountering familiar faces from across DC’s legendary canon.

Titans is an original series that is available on the DC Universe streaming app that can be accessed through multiple platforms that include IOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and XBOX One. Having not seen the series prior to receiving it for review I went into it with no preconceived notions other than an interest in live-action iteration of the Teen Titans. Season one is more or less an origin story that develops the four primary characters, more specifically Nightwing (which he is never referred to as) and Raven, which she is never referred to as. The unfolding season long plot centers on Dick, his encounter with Rachel and how that leads to a series of events and characters, including Kory/Starfire and Gar/Beast Boy, that surround Rachel, her mysterious powers, why she is hunted by a fanatical group/sect, who she truly is and, ultimately the reasons behind it all.

I enjoyed Titans. Being that the show doesn’t air on broadcast television the use of language and thematic violence/content allows its narrative the opportunity to render its elements with more of a darker edge. The plot points primarily retain the focus of its context while doing a fair job with character building. The action is solid and the production elements are predominantly what you’d expect given its platform. I liked the casting for the most part, especially Brenton Thwaites and Anna Diop. Teagan Croft and Ryan Potter could use a little more seasoning but, get the job done. I think that season started out stronger than it finished but, overall there was only one episode that I didn’t care for. The door is left wide open based on the cliffhanger of an ending. Given where things are headed season two should have lots of potential. I can’t see myself subscribing to the DC Universe channel but, I do look forward to having the chance to check out the next installment so, you never know.

Titans: The Complete First Season takes viewers back to each character’s origin story as Dick Grayson emerges as the leader of the core team of DC Super Heroes. The series stars Brenton Thwaites (Maleficent, The Giver, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) as Dick Grayson/Robin, Anna Diop (Bosch, 24: Legacy) as Koriand’r/Starfire, Teagan Croft (Home and Away) as Rachel Roth/Raven, and Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6, Supah Ninjas) as Gar Logan/Beast Boy. Also featured in the series’ first season are Minka Kelly (Almost Human, Friday Night Lights) as Dawn Granger/Dove, Alan Ritchson (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Smallville) as Hank Hall/Hawk, Seamus Dever (Castle) as Trigon, Curran Walters (Too Close to Home) as Jason Todd/Robin, Conor Leslie (Shots Fired, The Man in the High Castle) as Donna Troy, and Rachel Nichols (Continuum) as Angela Roth.

Here is Season One’s episode listing:

• "Titans"
• "Hawk and Dove"
• "Origins"
• "Doom Patrol"
• "Together"
• "Jason Todd"
• "The Asylum"
• "Donna Troy"
• "Hank and Dawn"
• "Koriand’r"
• "Dick Grayson"

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The show contains language, thematic violence and sensuality that would make it inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Titans: The complete First Season comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.q Master Audio sound.

This 2.00:1 framed video presentation offers appreciable high definition resolution that has a satisfying glossy aesthetic. Images are stable and sharp with plenty of discernible texture and revealing fine detail during close-ups. Many of the show’s sequences are shot in uneven and low lighting. Shadow delineation and depth is quite good. Black levels tend to be elevated which leaves many scenes appearing somewhat washed out. Colors are snappy and bright and sullen and muted where appropriate. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. I noticed a few instances of aliasing but otherwise saw no problematic signs of video anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack, like the video quality is quite good. Dynamics are robust and defining without being strident or edgy. Dialog is rendered with appreciable tonal expression and excellent room penetration through the center channel speaker. The front soundstage is diffused with notable separation and articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the surround platform. At times, it opens up quite nicely to create an involving listening environment that contains a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however, it appropriately supports the source elements and provides a tight, punchy low end.

Bonus Features:
  • • Raven and Robin Dark Rebirth
    • The Story of Titans
    • The Characters of Titans
    • The Making of Titans
    • Dick Grayson’s and Rachel Roth’s Dark Past
    • A Look at Vigilantes Hawk and Dove
    • The Identity of Titans Kory Anders/Starfire
    • Gar Logan’s Journey
    • Rachel’s Powers
    • The Doom Patrol Meets the Titans.
    • Jason Todd’s Robin
    • From Comic to Live-Action Adventure
    • Meet Wonder Girl
    • Dick Grayson’s Dark Past
    • World of Super Heroes and Vigilantes
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Titans: The Complete First Season is a solid live-action original series from the DC Universe that features enough action and story to make it entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring fair high definition video, excellent lossless sound and a fan friendly assortment of extras. As an original series the only way to catch the show when it airs is via the DC Universe streaming channel. I think it has good potential so hopefully season two picks up a good head of steam. If you’re curious and it can be found for the right price Titans: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray is well worth checking out.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I liked the series actually. I thought it was going to be utter TRASH from the initial trailers last year, but it was surprisingly entertaining. The one thing that I will say though, they BUTCHERED Starfire's character BADLY. Otherwise it's a solid twist on the original 80s Teen Titans comics.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Minka Kelly......damn.... oh yeah the show was pretty good.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Minka Kelly......damn.... oh yeah the show was pretty good.
Greetings,

Yep!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Kinda glanced at the box artwork thinking it was another DC Animated title a few months back, saw your review Ralph which compelled me to get a copy. Knowing about the teen titan characters I was thinking how this story was progressing nicely with that darker edge as you say. After watching the first 4 episodes I’m hooked, thank you very much!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page