AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/)
-   -   Glory: 30th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/3080054-glory-30th-anniversary-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.html)

Ralph Potts 07-22-2019 10:15 AM

Glory: 30th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...4939971dcf.jpg

Glory tells the compelling story behind the U.S. Civil War's first all-black volunteer company, where they fight prejudices from both the Union and the Confederate Armies. Ralph Potts reviews the 30th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray release from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...31c9eaaf69.jpg

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1539101747

Extras:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1539101747

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1989
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/French/Spanish DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio/DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo (Blu-ray)
Subtitles: English SDH French, Spanish
Starring: Denzel Washington , Morgan Freeman, Matthew Borderick, Cary Elwes, Andre Braugher, John Finn
Directed by: Edward Zwick
Music by: James Horner
Written by: Kevin Jarre
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: July 30, 2019

"Men Who Fought for Freedom and Found Glory"

Synopsis:

“Commemorate the 30th anniversary of Edward Zwick’s Glory: the heart-stopping story of the first black regiment to fight for the North in the Civil War, starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman. Broderick and Elwes are the idealistic young Bostonians who lead the regiment; Freeman is the inspirational sergeant who unites the troops; and Denzel Washington, in an Academy Award®-winning performance (1989, Best Supporting Actor), is the runaway slave who embodies the indomitable spirit of the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

I reviewed Glory when it released on Blu-ray in 2009 and have included comments from that review here. The rating for the film is the same. New ratings for the Ultra HD video, Dolby Atmos mix and bonus features are included.

As an African American I often find myself reflecting when I watch films or read stories like those depicted in Glory. I wonder what it must have been like for them and if I had lived during those times, could I have withstood the experiences these men went through? The Civil War itself was bad enough but, having to endure the racial injustice that prevailed at the time added another dimension to it. I think that the film touches upon these to varying degrees and offers some level of insight into what it might have been like for all involved. This ranges from Colonel Shaw all the way down to Pvt. Jupiter Sharts.

This period in our history was such a tumultuous one and Glory captures a snapshot that derives enough to encapsulate the strife that plagued our great nation. Character development is strong as we are given an intimate portrayal of the internal struggles experienced by both the black and white soldiers within and outside of the regiment. Robert’s personal thoughts are derived from his letters as his perspective is related in some detail. I saw Glory when it was released back in 1989 and, have been a fan ever since.

The casting, performances (Denzel Washington earned an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor) and direction are simply marvelous. The story of the 54th Massachusetts, the first black infantry regiment during the Civil War is not only compelling but poignant. These men, one and all, epitomized the unconquerable spirit of bravery, hope, dedication, and the belief that all men deserve freedom and the right to fight for what they believe in. A must-see film.

Replay Value:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1539101747

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Glory comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Glory recently underwent a 4K re-mastering with the approval of director Edward Zwick and, its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray was derived from that process.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Glory has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

Looking at the film's opening moments, I wasn’t immediately struck by the upgrade in resolution however as the scene played out and then later, the improvement in depth, definition and color rendering became more obvious. The interior shots of the Shaw home revealed delineated and natural color rendering as well as an uptick in fine detail, not present on the 1080p rendering.

The addition of high dynamic range added a tangible visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. The flickering of the firelight around the nighttime encampment appeared very lifelike. The star of the show was nighttime attack on Fort Wagner in the final act. The various explosions, cannon fire and streaming mortars had appreciable specular highlights and brilliant whites. Dark highlights were rendered with excellent dimension when coupled with these brighter visual elements. Mild black crush can be seen in low-level scenes but, this is something that was noticeable in the 1080p rendering so I would surmise that it’s innate to the source.

The image isn't razor sharp and, there are intermittent issues with innate softening, but detail rendering is very good overall. Grain remains intact with predominantly natural rendering that occasionally takes on more emphasis. Glory looked solid and represents the film in its finest light since coming to home video.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be a fairly entertaining listening experience that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done quite well, and where applied, creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. I noticed that the front overhead channels were used for adding depth to the soundstage while the rear overhead channels contained more discrete sound objects/effects. In addition to things like overhead pans where sounds move through the soundstage, there are several sequences that bring everything together, most notably the attack on Fort Wagner in the finale. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this Dolby Atmos presentation was, adding a complimentary element that elevated the experience of watching the film.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Glory Ultra HD Blu-ray
     Visual Feature-Length Commentary (on the 4K Ultra HD disc)
     Theatrical Trailer (on the 4K Ultra HD disc)
  • Disc 2: Glory Blu-ray
     Director’s Commentary
     Deleted Scenes with Commentary
     Virtual Civil War Battlefield Interactive Map
     “The True Story Continues” Documentary
     “The Voices of Glory” Featurette
     “The Making of Glory” Featurette
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Glory is truly a must-see film experience. It tells an important story that takes place during one of the darkest periods in our nation’s history, the Civil War. The struggles undertaken to ensure the freedom and rights of all is not something that was taken lightly, at that time, nor by those who were part of this film. It is one of my favorites and I am so glad that it has come to Ultra HD Blu-ray. This is another strong catalog title release on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. It features beautifully restored Ultra HD video, a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and worthwhile bonus features. If you’re a fan and are equipped to take advantage of the Ultra HD/Dolby Atmos upgrades, this Ultra HD release is highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Erod 07-22-2019 02:35 PM

One of my favorites. Sorry to see it didn't get the AV upgrade it deserved here.

Dan Hitchman 07-22-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 58327480)
One of my favorites. Sorry to see it didn't get the AV upgrade it deserved here.

It wasn't shot on the most expensive film stocks of the day as it wasn't a big budget film in comparison to some.

Ovation 07-22-2019 04:22 PM

Two questions:

One--is the regular BD from the re-mastered 4K source (like the UHD Unforgiven release) or is it just the earlier disc? I'm not going to be 4K equipped in the near future, but have bought a handful of titles, like Unforgiven, on UHD to benefit from an improved BD until I do upgrade my gear.

Two--are there any notable new extras? For history themed films, many of which I use in class, I like to go through the extras (especially comprehensive ones like those frequently accompanying Ridley Scott films) and new, meaningful extras would be another reason I might consider buying this edition.

Dan Hitchman 07-22-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovation (Post 58327974)
Two questions:

One--is the regular BD from the re-mastered 4K source (like the UHD Unforgiven release) or is it just the earlier disc? I'm not going to be 4K equipped in the near future, but have bought a handful of titles, like Unforgiven, on UHD to benefit from an improved BD until I do upgrade my gear.

Two--are there any notable new extras? For history themed films, many of which I use in class, I like to go through the extras (especially comprehensive ones like those frequently accompanying Ridley Scott films) and new, meaningful extras would be another reason I might consider buying this edition.

It has the old disc included. It has a short making of blurb and a short documentary on the true life events that inspired the movie.

nathanddrews 07-23-2019 03:13 PM

This movie has always hit me right in my feelers - there's something about the blend of setting, tone, cinematography, and score. The entire movie seems to lull and swell like a symphony and does it just right. I'm glad to hear it improves over the Blu-ray, not that I wasn't going to watch it again to see for myself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 58327480)

What part of Ralph's review said that? I got the exact opposite impression!

Erod 07-24-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanddrews (Post 58332336)
What part of Ralph's review said that? I got the exact opposite impression!

90 is generally on the far low end for Ralph on the UHD and Atmos scores.

Ralph Potts 07-24-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 58335422)

Greetings,

No worries Erod. All things considered this one looks solid and, as mentioned in my review, presents this film in its finest light since coming to home video. :)

Regards,

hernanu 07-24-2019 01:30 PM

Preordered, one of my favorite movies and actors. Waiting to see what it looks like on an OPPO 203 and a Visio PQ65. Being tempted more and more by Atmos.

nathanddrews 07-24-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 58335422)

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I read the review as basically, "the best it has ever looked and probably will ever look due to the source having some imperfections".

Ralph Potts 07-24-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanddrews (Post 58336798)
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I read the review as basically, "the best it has ever looked and probably will ever look due to the source having some imperfections".

Greetings,

You understood correctly Nathan.. ;)

Regards,

calvinwalfred 07-24-2019 06:52 PM

I remember going to see this with my girlfriend. I teared up big time at the end. SMH

mldardy 07-24-2019 09:24 PM

Glad to see so many people appreciate this great movie. I saw this movie twice in two weeks when it came to my theater. I saw it with my mom and brother and then again with my dad and mom. That was the first time I'd ever seen a movie twice in theaters. It moved me that much.

JimShaw 07-26-2019 12:07 PM

I saw this movie a few years ago and over time, I have forgotten it.

But I won't forget again, I just ordered the 4k and looking forward to it.

Thanks Ralph for awaking my mind.

vardo 07-26-2019 04:28 PM

Just ordered this movie from Amazon (4k and blu ray). IMO this is a great
movie that I saw some years ago. With so many movies I have (Blu ray and 4k) I know
this will be a great addition to my collection. Thanks for the review Ralph!

gibson61 07-30-2019 02:44 PM

One of the top Civil War movies ever ' Only Gettysburg for me is better ' but close. Must buy.

GPBURNS 08-13-2019 05:48 AM

Nice review Ralph - best thing about all these 4K releases is going back to revisit the old classics - don't remember when last watched and don't own the blu-ray so can't comment on upgrade - enjoyable watch but will not be a demo
piece or knockin anyone's socks off but studio can only reproduce what is available to them-Most we can ask for is to get the best picture/sound available from the masters