Avengers: Endgame Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 162Likes

post #121 of 168 Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
So did anybody pick this up? There seems to be an issue with my disc. It insists on freezing when they first show up at Tony's lake house to try and sell him on time travel. Its on a Sony UBP X800
My personal unit froze a lot, which is part of the reason I switched to the X700.
goksucats likes this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by TheSonyExperience; 08-15-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Never really know what to expect going into Disney releases lately and reading the negatives here sure didn't help, and while I share some of the same complaints about features missing, I was overall pretty happy with this one. No, it's nowhere near the quality of an Alita or Shazam! release, and maybe it's because Disney has lowered their own bar over the last couple years, but I found it to be much better than Infinity War and others over the year. Looked good on my older JVC and while Atmos didn't seem to kick in as much as I'd like, the overall surround field with sides and rears were a lot more noticeable with this one.

Guess this will do me just fine until we ever get a better released version that they milk me for again.
Now here's to hoping all the other UHD re-releases of Iron-Man and Thor I also picked up pass the test, because I hate thinking of the possibility that the Blu-ray versions having better audio masters.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #123 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 196
My Steelbook arrived yesterday - IMHO the audio mix even with Atmos is a let down. Had to increase volume like other posters to get better speech and Atmos effects.

Visually it looks good but disappointed by the sound mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
3D BD release 09/02

FYI 3D bluray is available from Amazon UK on 09/02, quick shipping to US and region free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q24QT9C/
PioManiac likes this.
post #125 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Thank you for the review!

I picked this up last night and watched it.

This is a very impressive story very well told, I was delighted, shocked, sad...emotions ran the full spectrum. Will any other cinematic universe pull something like this off? I don't know, it sets a high bar for cinematic story telling.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
To return to an earlier subtopic, 36.3 Mpbs for 3 hours yields 49 GB of data. Sounds plausible for a BD66 disk, perhaps with space reserved for "special features", languages, etc. (I don't know how much space those features should require.)
I don't think I've ever had the special features be on the UHD disk. My copy came with a separate 1080 disk with the special features on it, usually special features are on the 1080 release that's with the UHD release.

Cheer,
seanbryan and Ralph Potts like this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #126 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
FYI 3D bluray is available from Amazon UK on 09/02, quick shipping to US and region free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q24QT9C/
I pre-ordered my 3D Steelie with Zavvi
(my usual source for double dipping UK 3D's not available in North America)

Exciting to see the MCU 4K's rolling out, all in Steelbooks
Did you see the pre-orders on eBay for GOTG, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange?

I have Spider-Man Far From Home on pre-order,
4K Steelie from Best Buy and a 3D from Rahul and i (ebay)

My Iron Man 2 4K/UHD will be delayed by 1 week

I have 3D's on many of them too, thanks in part to you
Ralph Potts and zombie10k like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #127 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

My Iron Man 2 will be delayed by 1 week

I Have 3D's on many of them too, thanks in part to you
Great MCU steelbook collection! I did order the Zavvi 3D SB + the 4K collectors kit (big box with the insets) + BB 4K SB + UK 3D standard release... that is some serious quad dipping!!

thanks for heads up on the pre-orders
PioManiac likes this.
post #128 of 168 Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Just finished it. As usual or par for the Disney-itis course, the sound mix was bad. PQ wasn’t anything spectacular. Incredible no DV at this stage. Disney/MCU discs always sound muted, even with volume turned up, or way up. All their discs are bad and if this is any better than previous it isn’t by much. Maybe a percentage point or two. My bet is they are saving the high quality versions for their streaming service. You can count me out.

The film itself was flat. I think the multiple time past/future bs has just been done to death. Star Trek, X-Men, Superman (you youngsters probably won’t remember that) too many to list. Some of the fighting was cool but the whole thing was just flat. After Ragnarock or whatever that was called and Captain Mar-vel, meh I didn’t expect anything fantastic and I was right.. Oh well. The Superho thing is just getting played out. Out of all these MCU films, the only real quality films I thought were the first Thor, because Branagh directed it, and Dr. Strange. Those are two that could be watched stand alone and are just solid films.
Karl Maga likes this.
post #129 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
For those with front wides are they active on this Disney Atmos mix?
I have the 8500H with ability to use it in 9.2.4 mode if wides active, or 7.2.6 mode if not.
Waiting till Saturday to watch it as my son is at band camp and coming back then ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #130 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
After you've watched it 1 or 2 times (theater + first full HT viewing) high recommend jumping right to chapter 15 and watch it through the end. This was a blast since this chapter is the beginning of 'go time' and can fully appreciate all the action sequences from that point forward. These are some of the best looking/sounding scenes throughout the movie.
I'll be on the other side of this argument. I was at an AMC with my Stubs A-List membership ready to cash in on a couple of movies, but they didn't start for another couple of hours, so I bought a ticket for Endgame as it was already two hours in. I got in literally at the "phone going off" moment. This didn't nearly hit me as hard as the other two times I saw the film front-to-back. I felt like everything leading up to it created enough earnestness to make the last hour as worth it as it was. That, and of course watching Infinity War within 24 hours of catching Endgame.

That being said, I'm sure it's an excellent delight to watch and listen to at home, even if Disney has been very Disney-esque about their releases.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #131 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
For those with front wides are they active on this Disney Atmos mix?
I have the 8500H with ability to use it in 9.2.4 mode if wides active, or 7.2.6 mode if not.
Waiting till Saturday to watch it as my son is at band camp and coming back then ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disney does 7.1.4 printout tracks and there is no reason to think this one is any different.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #132 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I bought the 4K UHD set on release date. I watched it the next day (yesterday). I had watched Infinity War and Captain Marvel on Sunday and Monday (3 and 2 days, respectively) before.

I enjoyed Endgame, do not regret the purchase, BUT -

Captain Marvel was very politically correct, as was End Game. Nothing objectionable, just contrived and gratuitous.

Endgame just didn’t grab me. It was flat, if I might repeat a comment from a recent post. Perhaps I was affected by too much MCU in a condensed timeframe. While I was entertained, I walked away VERY disappointed, and my expectations were not high.

I felt that Captain Marvel’s place in the story was under developed and Thor’s was a mockery. Kind of like Disney said “hey, we can’t have a macho male as a hero, so let’s create a female replacement hero”, and of course make a couple bucks with the additional movies. Admittedly, they did it well enough that I cheered inwardly when she arrived in the final battle!

As for comments about audio and video, I’ve nothing to add - just to confirm it was mediocre.

I hope my appetite for super hero movies returns, but I’m burned out for now. It might help if the actors would refrain from telling half the country how they hate us for faults we don’t actually possess.
AmerCa likes this.
post #133 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4747 Post(s)
Liked: 3536
For anyone who has the ability to easily check which speakers are playing, I would appreciate your assistance.

I am now on my 2nd copy of this movie and with both, the only height speakers that play (during the movie) are center heights - and NOT top front heights or rear heights. No other Atmos movie I have does this (I have a 9.x.6 configuration running on a Trinnov). Interestingly, when the music is playing when the Menu is being display, the correct speakers play. It did the same on both movies.

I would appreciate anyone's response. If maybe that if you only have a 7.x.4 configuration, it works correctly. But it most certainly does not with my 9.x.6.
post #134 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
The credits are rolling! I thought the movie (which I never saw in the theater) was good, albeit way too long. I did understand the need though to wrap up loose ends and for all the "human drama" leading up to the action and then at the end. This Franchise goes back a very long time and I was quite pleased with the ending.

PQ-wise, I would still consider this "Reference Material" thank to HDR and the benefits of gorgeous COLORS and amazing SPECULAR HIGHLIGHTS (especially in the last hour). The Dolby Atmos mix was quite good and surprisingly the LFE/bass was appreciable without having to crank this up to reference.

I have friends/relatives who will want to see this and I think they'll enjoy watching this on my 77" OLED sitting 8' from the screen!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #135 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

My Iron Man 2 4K/UHD will be delayed by 1 week

I have 3D's on many of them too, thanks in part to you
Nice set. I'm excited to see to see Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange in 4K HDR. Some of the MCU's most visually stunning films even in just HD!

Spoiler!

Last edited by TheSonyExperience; 08-15-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #136 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
For anyone who has the ability to easily check which speakers are playing, I would appreciate your assistance.

I am now on my 2nd copy of this movie and with both, the only height speakers that play (during the movie) are center heights - and NOT top front heights or rear heights. No other Atmos movie I have does this (I have a 9.x.6 configuration running on a Trinnov). Interestingly, when the music is playing when the Menu is being display, the correct speakers play. It did the same on both movies.

I would appreciate anyone's response. If maybe that if you only have a 7.x.4 configuration, it works correctly. But it most certainly does not with my 9.x.6.
That happens when there are only 2 height channels encoded. On a .4 setup they get split between all the speakers. But on a .6 they only play to the middle speakers. So that indicates this is actually a 7.1.2 track which is a new low for Disney.
sdurani and AmerCa like this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #137 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone else find the steelbook, (from Best Buy) cover completely uninspiring? Ant-Man and Nebula are blacked out in silhouette, Stormbreaker made of glass or something and why is Vision even there lol sorry I just had to rant about that cover!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endgameCover.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	836.1 KB
ID:	2603430  
post #138 of 168 Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
If i recall correctly, Endgame was shot entirely with IMAX cameras. Knowing that, why would Disney shortchange the home video release and us this way? Why spend all that money shooting in IMAX and then deliver a less than top quality product? Disney continues to just disappoint on their discs.
It becomes more and more apparent Disney does NOT care about quality ! Disappointing!
Karl Maga likes this.
post #139 of 168 Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
We saw this a couple nights ago, and loved it! There are some details that really stood out in the mix. 1) the texture of explosions seemed really well done. Not just typical “boom” but the explosions had an actual sound to them. Also, the sound effects created for things that don’t exist in the real word (i.e. the mega cannons on Thanos’ ship) had a great sound to them (and also great Atmos implementation) that sounded so much better than your average laser blaster-type weapon. These are two examples that stand out, but I recognized this throughout the entire move. great sound choices and textures, bass was great. I took Ralph’s advice and bumped this up by 4db—might have even been 5db—and was floored by the audio. I enjoyed the picture as well, but the audio was the real star of the show, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ralph Potts and AmerCa like this.
post #140 of 168 Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I am glad this series has ended. Total burnout for me. They just had to many hero's 'over kill. The first Avengers was quite good. After that it was all down hill. Would never waste money buying them. Thank god for Netflix. I also liked the first Iron Man ' Antman ' Black Panther.
post #141 of 168 Old 08-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7073 Post(s)
Liked: 6075
Quote:
No other Atmos movie I have does this (I have a 9.x.6 configuration running on a Trinnov).
Try the Atmos mix on 'Saving Private Ryan', which is also pre-rendered to 7.1.2 channels.

Sanjay
post #142 of 168 Old 08-16-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
I'm curious to know if ATMOS mixes from other studios actually work beyond the 7.1.4 configuration. Is that the case in your experience?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #143 of 168 Old 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
I'm curious to know if ATMOS mixes from other studios actually work beyond the 7.1.4 configuration. Is that the case in your experience?
Yes, but not many. It is getting better but slowly!
darthray and AmerCa like this.
post #144 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I found the picture quality to be really good, much better than the theater. I thought the use of HDR was outstanding, the best looking avengers movie yet.

The sound was actually decent. This was a rare disney film that had decent usage of the surrounds and even a few nice atmos moments. I didn’t have to increase the volume either but i know some have. The bass wasn’t amazing like a DC movie but it was good enough.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #145 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an important FYI for anyone who has more than 4 ceiling speakers in their Atmos configuration. Amazingly enough, this movie is only mixed as a 7.x.2. If you have 4 ceiling speakers, most processors will split the signal between front and rear heights. If you have more than 4, it puts all of the audio into center heights. (My processor has meters for all channels so it is easy to determine which speakers are, or are not, playing

I find it almost criminal that Disney would take such a huge movie that has such huge audio potential and literally destroy the sound track. It was obvious as soon as I started the movie that something was seriously wrong with the audio. I thought the first disc I bought must be faulty but the second one does the same. I have had others who have more than 4 ceiling speakers confirm my findings.

@Ralph Potts I don't know if your system has more than 4 ceiling speakers, but if it does, it would be really helpful if you could validate in all future Disney releases whether they crimp the audio as they have here!!

Because of this, I will no longer purchase Disney movies until I determine from someone if this is going to be standard practice at Disney!!

If you need further proof that Disney could care less about providing the best audio possible, look no further than this movie. A total and complete joke!! They should be embarrassed but clearly are not.
muad'dib and AmerCa like this.
post #146 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Video quality was great however I noticed the audio kept clipping and sounded horrible with strange background static.

What could cause this? Using a pretty standard LG 4k player with an LG OLED.

I switched audio inputs from HT setup to the built in OLED speaker and the problem persisted throughout the entire movie. Could there be a corrupt audio feed?
post #147 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Just an important FYI for anyone who has more than 4 ceiling speakers in their Atmos configuration. Amazingly enough, this movie is only mixed as a 7.x.2. If you have 4 ceiling speakers, most processors will split the signal between front and rear heights. If you have more than 4, it puts all of the audio into center heights. (My processor has meters for all channels so it is easy to determine which speakers are, or are not, playing

I find it almost criminal that Disney would take such a huge movie that has such huge audio potential and literally destroy the sound track. It was obvious as soon as I started the movie that something was seriously wrong with the audio. I thought the first disc I bought must be faulty but the second one does the same. I have had others who have more than 4 ceiling speakers confirm my findings.

@Ralph Potts I don't know if your system has more than 4 ceiling speakers, but if it does, it would be really helpful if you could validate in all future Disney releases whether they crimp the audio as they have here!!

Because of this, I will no longer purchase Disney movies until I determine from someone if this is going to be standard practice at Disney!!

If you need further proof that Disney could care less about providing the best audio possible, look no further than this movie. A total and complete joke!! They should be embarrassed but clearly are not.
It's not just the Atmos rendering, but the entire mix is uninspiring, granted that part is artistic not technical but still it deducts from the viewing enjoyment IMO
It seems one of the mods got triggered since my rather brief mention of this inept track prompted a deletion of my post in another thread, in this subforum.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #148 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I enjoyed this movie, and was looking forward to the disc release.
watched it on my main system in 4k, then rewatched it in the "music room" on the old plasma.
i found the soundtrack on bluray sounded really good and i can usually notice a step down from 4k to bluray on the different systems. just my observation.
thanks for the review Ralph!
post #149 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
Video quality was great however I noticed the audio kept clipping and sounded horrible with strange background static.

What could cause this? Using a pretty standard LG 4k player with an LG OLED.

I switched audio inputs from HT setup to the built in OLED speaker and the problem persisted throughout the entire movie. Could there be a corrupt audio feed?
Yeah that sounds like some kind of HDMI issue, or possible faulty disc. It is certainly not what the majority here is complaining about.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #150 of 168 Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
It seems one of the mods got triggered since my rather brief mention of this inept track prompted a deletion of my post in another thread, in this subforum.

So we are not allowed to criticize Disney or other studios audio or video mixes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page