• 2 Post By WOKNROX

post #1 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 6507
Brightburn Blu-ray Review

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? Ralph Potts reviews the Blu-ray release of Brightburn from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Horror/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Elizabeth Banks, David Denman, Jackson A. Dunn, Matt Jones, Meredith Hagner
Directed by: David Yarovesky
Music by: Tim Williams
Written by: Brian Gunn, Mark Gunn
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: August 20, 2019

"Evil Has Found its Superhero"

Synopsis:

“What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? With Brightburn, the visionary filmmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

My son was home for a visit the week Brightburn was released in theaters. I had seen the trailer for it but, hadn’t really given it much thought. He brought it up, mentioning that he thought the concept looked interesting, so, we went to see what it was all about. I would agree that the concept is indeed interesting in that, it combines horror with fantasy, in a story about a superpowered being that crash landed on Earth as a baby and is adopted by childless parents. The difference being, that this superpowered being is an antihero with a dark side.

My initial reaction to Brightburn was somewhat tepid. I liked the plot and the performances, especially by Elizabeth Banks and young Jackson A. Dunn but, felt as though the story needed better fleshing out. While that didn’t change upon viewing it a second time, I did find that I enjoyed the film a bit more. I think knowing where things were headed allowed me to focus more on the idea of Brightburn, Brendan’s dark nature and, the interesting interplay between its genre bending elements. This is where I think the film succeeds. At 90 minutes there simply isn’t enough narrative meat on the bone. I also think that at times it leans just a tad too far into horror story territory, trying to ply the audience with unnecessary and predictable jump scares.

I like the ending, finding that it befits the film’s overall context and tone. The visual style and effects are complimentary as well. Brightburn is a conceptually engaging film that would have benefitted from a deeper script. Be that as it may, I enjoyed it for the sum of its parts rather than its ability to deliver a wholly gratifying film experience.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for horror violence/bloody images, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Brightburn comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This isn’t a particularly bright film but, it manages to strike a good balance between the use of dark and light elements. Certain scenes are bathed in monochromatic/sepia/blue while others appear to use natural lighting and splashes of color. This seems to mate well thematically, and I found the visual contrast interesting. In most regards both light and dark sequences have above average depth with appreciable shadow delineation. Blacks are gradational with noteworthy depth. Dynamic range is notable as brighter elements tend to have punchy highlights with visible detail. Resolution occasionally fluctuates but in general, detail is clearly resolvable with discerning visual perspective that results in pleasing, multi-dimensional high definition video quality.

This 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is fairly active and features an engaging surround mix that has extended dynamic range that positively renders the elements in the recording. Where appropriate the mix transforms the listening area into a three-dimensional sound field filled via immersive surround activity that mates perfectly with the events unfolding onscreen. Low frequency effects produce deep bass that rumbles with tactile authority. Dialog is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that produced just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers. This is a well-crafted sound design that made the experience of watching the film more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:
  • • 3 “Quick Burns” Vignettes hosted by Actor Elizabeth Banks, Producer James Gunn & Director David Yarovesky
    • “Hero-Horror!” featurette: It’s not often filmmakers successfully and seamlessly combine both Horror and Superhero into a genre-bending “Hero-Horror” category. Hear from Producer James Gunn and Screenwriters Brian and Mark Gunn as we will learn the methods of their filmmaking style and their dotting of the “i”’s and slashing of the “t”’s storytelling process.
    • “Nature vs. Nurture” featurette: Hear from Actor Jackson A. Dunn, Producer James Gunn, Screenwriters Brian and Mark Gunn and understand the creative process involved in flipping the script of the traditional “Superhero” and diving into what motivates and moves our new Anti-hero, Brandon Breyer.
    • Filmmaker Commentary with Director David Yarovesky, DP Michael Dallatorre, and Costume Designer Autumn Steed
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Brightburn is a conceptually engaging and genre bending film that, while not perfectly executed, manages to prove entertaining on several levels. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video and a fair supplemental package that features insights from the cast/crew. Brightburn is worth checking out and deserves a place near the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
BCRSS, Toe, AmerCa and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
The Curse Of La Llorona: Dolby ATMOS.

Brightburn: DTS-MA 5.1

At least Disney tries harder with a 7.1 lossless track in their BDs.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #3 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Thanks Ralph for your review. I have had this on my radar since seeing the trailer. I guess I like the idea of an antihero theme. Looking forward to this and your remarks on the sound will make it a better buy.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Brightburn: great concept, disappointing execution.

Like Daybreakers, it isn't enough just to have a great idea, you have to deliver a great end product. Brightburn is close but like Ralph posted in his review, they tipped the scales toward more cheap violence and easy scares than telling a brilliant story.

But it was good enough that I'll pick it up as soon as the 4K disk gets discounted.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #5 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Brightburn: great concept, disappointing execution.

Like Daybreakers, it isn't enough just to have a great idea, you have to deliver a great end product. Brightburn is close but like Ralph posted in his review, they tipped the scales toward more cheap violence and easy scares than telling a brilliant story.

But it was good enough that I'll pick it up as soon as the 4K disk gets discounted.
Is there a 4K copy available?

Spoiler!
post #6 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 6211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Is there a 4K copy available?
No, it will be released on Aug. 20th.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brigh...lu-ray/243432/
post #7 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
No, it will be released on Aug. 20th.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brigh...lu-ray/243432/
Thank you.

Spoiler!
post #8 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Thanks for the review Ralph. I didn't get a chance to get to this in the theater so I put in a pre-order on the 4k disc.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 21 Old 08-13-2019, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
The Curse Of La Llorona: Dolby ATMOS.

Brightburn: DTS-MA 5.1

At least Disney tries harder with a 7.1 lossless track in their BDs.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
It looks like digital releases like Amazon have Atmos...via DD+ [same thing]
AmerCa likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #10 of 21 Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Uhd disc has Atmos on it
WOKNROX likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Uhd disc has Atmos on it
I've got this one pre-ordered...

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Always like James Gunn he backed this movie a lot then I guess I’d give it a try...
post #13 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Ralph liked this one just a bit more than I did, but I have to say, for a streaming rental, it had one of the most enjoyable audio tracks I've heard in a while. I was running it in 5.2.4 Dolby Surround, and it was very impressive. In the end I felt it was an intriguing concept that sort of stayed in the barn (pun intended), but Im glad I saw it. I imagine the full Atmos track will be even more immersive and enveloping than this one was.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 6507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Ralph liked this one just a bit more than I did, but I have to say, for a streaming rental, it had one of the most enjoyable audio tracks I've heard in a while. I was running it in 5.2.4 Dolby Surround, and it was very impressive. In the end I felt it was an intriguing concept that sort of stayed in the barn (pun intended), but Im glad I saw it. I imagine the full Atmos track will be even more immersive and enveloping than this one was.
Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in AJ! It's always good to hear from you.

Regards,
Summa likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #15 of 21 Old 08-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Looking forward to seeing this one in 4k Atmos tonight.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Oh man!!!
I strongly suggest you re-review this movie in 4k and Atmos..
This has one of if not the best 4k image and sound I've seen or heard.

Total demo material right here.
Ralph Potts and GPBURNS like this.

post #17 of 21 Old 09-30-2019, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Oh man!!!
I strongly suggest you re-review this movie in 4k and Atmos..
This has one of if not the best 4k image and sound I've seen or heard.

Total demo material right here.
Gotta disagree on the PQ part, I thought it was quite disappointing. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination; but it looked more like regular blu-ray. Especially since I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 the day before which completely blows it off the water picture-wise.

I do however agree on the phenomenal audio quality. Brightburn has one of the best audio tracks I've heard in a while!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 6211
Thanks for the review on this one, Ralph!

I was under the impression that I shared my thoughts earlier about this film, but I was mistaken...

I enjoyed it and was expecting a dark film, but didn't think it was going to be that dark, and bleek! This is like a super horror film... i.e., what if Damien had superman's powers!

I would like to reiterate the emphasis of others that this audio mix, specifically the Dolby Atmos track, is something to behold! What a fantastic experience and the horror of it all adds to the suspense and peril in a palpable way.
WOKNROX, thehun, Toe and 2 others like this.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Thanks for the review on this one, Ralph!

I was under the impression that I shared my thoughts earlier about this film, but I was mistaken...

I enjoyed it and was expecting a dark film, but didn't think it was going to be that dark, and bleek! This is like a super horror film... i.e., what if Damien had superman's powers!

I would like to reiterate the emphasis of others that this audio mix, specifically the Dolby Atmos track, is something to behold! What a fantastic experience and the horror of it all adds to the suspense and peril in a palpable way.

The 4k Disc with Atmos is frigging amazing - movie was fun ride - Nice and short and did not try to be more than it needed -
By man what a atmos audio track - be sure to check it out and image was spectacular as well - great entertainment !!
Toe, SteveC356 and WOKNROX like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #20 of 21 Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked: 3709
Wow, there is some sick and twisted stuff in this movie! I really enjoyed it though and great rental! Great A/V on the blu and sounds like the UHD is even better.
Ralph Potts and GPBURNS like this.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Gotta disagree on the PQ part, I thought it was quite disappointing. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination; but it looked more like regular blu-ray. Especially since I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 the day before which completely blows it off the water picture-wise.

I do however agree on the phenomenal audio quality. Brightburn has one of the best audio tracks I've heard in a while!
We'll just have to agree to disagree here.
The picture quality on the 4K disc was nothing short of clean, clear and crisp. HDR was excellent and the film stayed sharp throughout.
Definitely better then the Blu-ray version.

The movie is really good as well. Glad I bought this one.
SteveC356 and Ralph Potts like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page