Godzilla: King of the Monsters Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

post #61 of 152 Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
... and my 77" OLED (sitting at 8') isn't too shabby either!
Meant to say this in my earlier response to you, but oh my gosh, this movie will make you hug your OLED and never let go. The movie has so many dark scenes and opportunities for HDR to shine... those OLED blacks and punchy colors are going to have you sitting in front of your TV long after the movie is overs just in awe. If you have access to any dynamic tone mapping (Lumagen, Panasonic 4k player, built in to OLED), be sure to engage it!!!!

That was me today.....just sat there....in awe.....and then I replayed my favorite scenes (every-single-set-piece) just for the A/V.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts, djoberg and Dizzle406 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Meant to say this in my earlier response to you, but oh my gosh, this movie will make you hug your OLED and never let go. The movie has so many dark scenes and opportunities for HDR to shine... those OLED blacks and punchy colors are going to have you sitting in front of your TV long after the movie is overs just in awe. If you have access to any dynamic tone mapping (Lumagen, Panasonic 4k player, built in to OLED), be sure to engage it!!!!

That was me today.....just sat there....in awe.....and then I replayed my favorite scenes (every-single-set-piece) just for the A/V.

Okay, now you are whetting my appetite TOO MUCH, for I still have a whole week before my copy arrives!

My LG OLED has Dynamic Tone Mapping (automatically) when viewing a UHD Blu-ray in Dolby Vision and this is definitely the format I will be viewing it in since it's offered in the Godzilla: King of the Monsters UHD release. My OLED also has the "option" to turn on "Dynamic Tone Mapping" when watching a UHD Blu-ray in HDR10, but from what I've read it is more of a "post processing gimmick" like the "Dynamic Contrast" option when watching SDR material. The more informed owners of the LG OLED have said to avoid using this since it will actually produce artifacts and other anomalies like all other "post processing gimmicks." Again, the Dynamic Tone Mapping that is built in to the Dolby Vision option is NO GIMMICK; it will truly give your projector or flat panel the proper HDR effects just like a high end UHD Blu-ray Player with Dynamic Tone Mapping.
Ralph Potts and BrolicBeast like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #63 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Talking

Loved this movie. Cannot wait to fire it up tonight
Ralph Potts and BrolicBeast like this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 444
I really loved the last godzilla story, seen the movie a ton of times.. The fighting on this one is way over the top amazing but the acting or plot was horrendous compare to the last movie..
post #65 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I'll be purchasing this disc exclusively as a tech demo - I very much preferred both Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island (2017) in terms the balance they achieved between the story and action.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #66 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My dad (visiting from NY) is going to watch this with me tonight. He's never seen a full movie in the theater....WHAT AN INTRO TO IT!!!

EDIT: HE LOST HIS MIND!!!!! THIS IS A GREAT FLICK TO INTRODUCE SOMEONE TO YOUR CINEMA WITH!!!!

Ralph Potts, Toe, djoberg and 5 others like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 08-27-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #67 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Bought and watched it today.

As regards the story line, the best that I can say is that it wasn't quite as idiotic as Godzilla Vs. the Smog Monster. (Close, though.) (I hope that they paid David Strathairn a lot.) The visuals and audio were otherwise worth the price of admission.

It wasn't nearly as depressing as Godzilla (2014). It was more fun to watch than Godzilla (1998). It was less endearing than Godzilla (1954).
post #68 of 152 Old 08-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Thanks for the review. IMHO, these types of movies are not for actually watching. They're for demos and to show off subwoofers, surround, and big-screens. Heck, the TV and audio makers should have chipped in for this collection of demo scenes. This is the type of material that makes me want a second subwoofer and two more Atmos/surround speakers even though I darn well know I don't have the room for them!
post #69 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Saw it last night! The audio in this is downright frightening. Video is OK, certainly not eye candy, but a faithful representation of the dark, wet, windy world that these monsters fight in. I had to turn down my subs, as the room couldn't handle it! My two 15 inchers and buttkickers were pounding me into submission.

My only nitpick on the sound: There were a couple of instances where the filmmakers could of used more effective rear surround, especially in one section where Godzilla is behind a character and roars (sound was more front focused in that particular scene).

The tactile sensation of the low bass and LFE will reward us bass heads. It was truly visceral. For me, out of 5: Picture - 4 Sound - 4.5 - Blu Ray 2d version

Enjoy!
post #70 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
My dad (visiting from NY) is going to watch this with me tonight. He's never seen a full movie in the theater....WHAT AN INTRO TO IT!!!

EDIT: HE LOST HIS MIND!!!!! THIS IS A GREAT FLICK TO INTRODUCE SOMEONE TO YOUR CINEMA WITH!!!!

I'm going to have my dad over this weekend and haven't watched this (other than the first 10 minutes to test something), sounds like I've picked the movie!

Blade Runner 2049 is my favorite bass movie as of now: combination of raw output but also detail in the bass (I like some of the "drops" as he travels in the hovercraft/car, they have some layers to them rather than just boom, if that makes sense).
post #71 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
I'm going to have my dad over this weekend and haven't watched this (other than the first 10 minutes to test something), sounds like I've picked the movie!

Blade Runner 2049 is my favorite bass movie as of now: combination of raw output but also detail in the bass (I like some of the "drops" as he travels in the hovercraft/car, they have some layers to them rather than just boom, if that makes sense).

You most certainly have picked the right one. My dad seemed mighty proud. After the movie ended, he just sat there staring at the screen, processing what he had just experience. After some time, he said “Matthew, I’ve only seen trailers (referring to demo clips) in this theater so far—I never knew the theater could do all of THAT!”

The pride I felt was indescribable. Your dad will feel the same....the baby whose diapers he once changed is now capable of building a theater capable of THIS experience.

Now, I don’t know how much testing you’ve done with your theater, but one word of advice: if you haven’t yet sought out rattles in your room yet, definitely do so before your dad comes. I had. G2G last year, and while preparing for it, one demo clip in particular—from A Quiet Place—had bass so intense (and I had the volume at 5 above reference and run a 5db shelf on frequencies below 30Hz), my equipment room door started rattling. I never bothered using the fancy door seals on that door like I did with the entry/exit doors because the equipment room is within the soundproofed shell, but I had to go grab weather stripping from Home Depot and apply it to the equipment room door jamb to prevent the door from rattling against the jamb. If you have rattles, this movie will identify them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #72 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
You most certainly have picked the right one. My dad seemed mighty proud. After the movie ended, he just sat there staring at the screen, processing what he had just experience. After some time, he said “Matthew, I’ve only seen trailers (referring to demo clips) in this theater so far—I never knew the theater could do all of THAT!”

The pride I felt was indescribable. Your dad will feel the same....the baby whose diapers he once changed is now capable of building a theater capable of THIS experience.

Now, I don’t know how much testing you’ve done with your theater, but one word of advice: if you haven’t yet sought out rattles in your room yet, definitely do so before your dad comes. I had. G2G last year, and while preparing for it, one demo clip in particular—from A Quiet Place—had bass so intense (and I had the volume at 5 above reference and run a 5db shelf on frequencies below 30Hz), my equipment room door started rattling. I never bothered using the fancy door seals on that door like I did with the entry/exit doors because the equipment room is within the soundproofed shell, but I had to go grab weather stripping from Home Depot and apply it to the equipment room door jamb to prevent the door from rattling against the jamb. If you have rattles, this movie will identify them.

Thanks! I'm pretty lucky in the rattle department. I have an old house built out of mostly concrete that has had 50 years to cure. After recently upgrading my subwoofers I had to lower the panel spans on my cabinets to raise their fundamental frequency higher. Maybe I should do a rattle test beforehand with this movie, timestamps welcome!
post #73 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Picked up the disc and man is this movie boring. The human stuff is bad, and the monster fights are mostly lazily choreographed. While the Atmos was pretty good, I still think the 2014 movie sounds better even without the Atmos.

I will say the picture looked better at home then in the theater.

I should've waited for when this is cheap.
thehun likes this.
post #74 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
95!!!!! is 95 only of the HDR and PQ?? or the films story line too? if so, you have got to be the worse film previewer in the history of film! bar none!!

IMDB: 6.3/10 74,138
themoviedb: 62%
rottentomatoes: 41%

...and you give it 95!!! whats wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Iuvatar; 08-28-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #75 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iuvatar View Post
95!!!!! is 95 only of the HDR and PQ?? or the films story line too? if so, you have got to be the worse film previewer in the history of film! bar none!!

Why be so subtle...why don't you tell us what you really think? Of course I'm resorting to sarcasm here for I can hardly believe you're coming to a well-respected reviewer like Ralph Potts and bashing him like this. For the record, you are truly "comparing apples and oranges" by comparing Ralph and his in-depth analysis of a movie's PQ and AQ (his SCORE of 95 reflects his value of those and not of the movie itself) to reviewers like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes who only analyze the movie.

I have been reading Ralph's reviews for years and I value his TOTAL ANALYSIS more than I can say. Enough said!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #76 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 7645
Quote:

Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #77 of 152 Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

2 posts. What's wrong with this person?
khcoach likes this.
post #78 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Why be so subtle...why don't you tell us what you really think? Of course I'm resorting to sarcasm here for I can hardly believe you're coming to a well-respected reviewer like Ralph Potts and bashing him like this. For the record, you are truly "comparing apples and oranges" by comparing Ralph and his in-depth analysis of a movie's PQ and AQ (his SCORE of 95 reflects his value of those and not of the movie itself) to reviewers like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes who only analyze the movie.

I have been reading Ralph's reviews for years and I value his TOTAL ANALYSIS more than I can say. Enough said!

and thats my question!! what is the score all about?? I've seen his scores and nothing ever falls below 90!!

are these scores 80/20 favor the movies PQ and AQ or a combination of both PQ/AQ and Film story? if its both PQ/AQ and Film story then this review is flawed!! just like the rest of his 98% of 90-95 ratings he has.

As you may know, there are exuberant reviewers out there.
post #79 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
Well said @BrolicBeast , right from the opening credits. I watched first on Vudu, but man the 4K discs is awesome. Demo, and I liked the movie as well.
post #80 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
You are quite rude @Iuvatar . You're posts calling people out for their speaker selection is not wanted or warranted. @SuperFist is quite the contributor to more than one area in these forums, and is NOT clueless.
post #81 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’d recommend anyone who takes issue with Ralph’s scores to simply find another source for reviews instead of making ludicrous posts questioning the reviews. I will add that it’s better to ask “does this score include movie story content?” before making accusations of including movie story content in the score.

I’ve found Ralph’s reviews to be spot on for the last 10 years. His reviews are actually what led me to AVS.

Again, ask questions first, and even then-tone and delivery are everything.

post #82 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

Ralph is the best previewer in the history of film. You need to stick with the film reviewers you listed above and let us AVS forum members stick with Ralph
post #83 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7043
Greetings,

Quote:

Quote:
and thats my question!! what is the score all about?? I've seen his scores and nothing ever falls below 90!!

are these scores 80/20 favor the movies PQ and AQ or a combination of both PQ/AQ and Film story? if its both PQ/AQ and Film story then this review is flawed!! just like the rest of his 98% of 90-95 ratings he has.

As you may know, there are exuberant reviewers out there.
??? What are you rambling about? I have been writing reviews here for 11 years using the same template. Clearly summarized at the top of the review, the ratings for film, bonus content and audio/video are separate. You have been a member here since 2010, with a total of 4 posts and NOW decide to contribute with an inflammatory post that clearly shows that you're not paying attention?

As already stated, if you don't like the reviews you have plenty of options available to you elsewhere. Any further attacks upon other members in this forum will not be tolerated.

To others that have posted in response, your support is much appreciated.

Regards,
Toe, Emaych, darthray and 9 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #84 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

??? What are you rambling about? I have been writing reviews here for 11 years using the same template. Clearly summarized at the top of the review, the ratings for film, bonus content and audio/video are separate. You have been a member here since 2010, with a total of 4 posts and NOW decide to contribute with an inflammatory post that clearly shows that you're not paying attention?

As already stated, if you don't like the reviews you have plenty of options available to you elsewhere. Any further attacks upon other members in this forum will not be tolerated.

To others that have posted in response, your support is much appreciated.

Regards,
I try not to be too judgmental, but "Iuvatar" is flat-out trolling. I won't be seeing its posts any longer. I hope that not many of them are quoted.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #85 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I try not to be too judgmental, but "Iuvatar" is flat-out trolling. I won't be seeing its posts any longer. I hope that not many of them are quoted.
Big +100, from you and many others that support Ralph!!!
Post like the one I saw on number 79, was enough for me to go back to understand what was happening and stop going back!
This kind of crap is not needed around here, or any other threads for this matter

I look at many reviews, and my one to go. Is always here from Ralph.
Reviewer like him, spend a great deal of time to do a proper review and a write-up.
And do deserve RESPECT!!!

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 08-29-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #86 of 152 Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, the credits are rolling....my ears are still ringing (and bleeding, I think).... and my jaw is still on the floor!!

This is most certainly the best Dolby Atmos mix this year. I had my Denon AVR on -9 (and for a few minutes I turned it to -5) and in order to preserve the foundation of my house (and everything in it!) I resisted the urge to turn it to Reference! (Quite frankly, my wife was home and even though she was sitting upstairs and at the opposite end of our 75' long ranch house I knew she would come down screaming that I needed to turn it down or we needed to evacuate...I'm not blessed with a sound proof Home Theater room!)

PQ-wise, I agree with willymo above that this is not really EYE CANDY (though the details and depth were great in scenes without smoke, fog or softness from the CGI and I was absolutely amazed with the deep, inky black levels and with the phenomenal specular highlights...especially when Godzilla gave his enemies the "death flare," or his body glowed a vibrant red from nuclear radiation and when Mothra lit up with amazing blue/green hues).

Movie-wise, it was as Ralph and others said...a Monster fight from beginning to end where you check your brain at the door and simply enjoy the "Monster Ride."
Ralph Potts, Toe, darthray and 3 others like this.

post #87 of 152 Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
yeah I hear ya!! he's a a notch below Siskel and Ebert !! a chip off the ole block!! Hahaha...

....6th post! but who's counting!
Stop picking on our Ralph. He rates extras. Audio and UHD quality as well as the movie. He tends to rate high but apply your own curve or look to other reviewers or metacritic. Ralph rates some good movies that I would otherwise miss and he is here at the AVS forum.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 100Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #88 of 152 Old 08-30-2019, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Can someone get rid of this guy. He is just a troll. Ralph reviews are very good and well done. It's the first place I look before I spend my money on a new disk.
post #89 of 152 Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
While I haven't watched this film yet, I am another of the "loved Godzilla, and all other monster movies when I was a kid" types, and know what to expect going in. I appreciate Ralph's reviews because unlike most movie watchers who only care about a single viewing, most of my purchases are based on the EXPERIENCE, not the viewing of a "one and done" like when I agree to watch a "Hallmark Love" crap movie with the girlfriend.
Thanks Ralph for putting into perspective ALL aspects of the viewing experience, not just story and acting.

Chris
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #90 of 152 Old 08-30-2019, 06:29 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2836 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Thank You All for your warming thoughts!

Yeah I have 4 posts!! so what!! have been observing from the shadows! you sheep can congregate around your Sheppard if you like , I have no issue with that!

...and Ralph, 11 years of an average of 90-95 rating!! do the math! is there anything you don't like? please answer honestly if you can!

PS ..this makes it my 5th post
Cant we boot this clown from this thread at this point?? Talk about uncalled for blatant and classless disrespect and trolling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page