Godzilla: King of the Monsters Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 362Likes

post #91 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 07:47 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
So I just now was able to crawl out of the pile of rubble that was once my home after watching Godzilla KOM last night .......seriously, THAT WAS INSANE!!! I did a double feature with the 2014 film and it all left me stunned. I watched both films at my normal -1 from reference and my subs run ~10dbs hot from ~40hz and below until they run out of gas at 11-12hz and it was shocking! I've seen the 2014 film many times in my theater and it's always a great HT ride, but right from the very start of the 2019 film it's clear this soundtrack is a different beast!

This goes in the same league of audio tracks as Underworld Awakening, Mad Max Fury Road and one or two others ( I might put Aquaman in there as well) for me and is something I will watch many times over the coming years.

4k PQ was fantastic as well!

The monster fights were so awesome! So much fun to watch!

Yeah, the human element was as advertised and I especially found the guy with glasses who just makes smartass jokes the whole film very annoying, but whatever.......this movie is all about watching monsters kick the **** out of each other and taking in the insane HT experience! It's a total thrill ride!!
Rgb, Ralph Potts, djoberg and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iuvatar View Post
yeah I hear ya!! he's a a notch below Siskel and Ebert !! a chip off the ole block!! Hahaha...

....6th post! but who's counting!
While you are being sarcastic, I am quite serious. You cannot compare Ralph with Siskel and Ebert as they had televised reviews whereas Ralph's reviews are written. And, if you go back and read some of his reviews, not only are they thorough, but they are succinct, and he is an extraordinary wordsmith. He must have had a really good English teacher as you can visualize what he is writing simply by his choice of words. I subscribe to numerous audio periodicals all which contain reviews of certain movies. When you compare those reviews with those of Ralph, its no contest. In fact, I feel Ralph's reviews are so thorough, he should license those reviews to these other periodicals as Ralph's reviews would be the point of reference because none of the others can compete.
post #93 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Now Back to the Topic at Hand

Greetings,

The most recent disruptive posts have been deleted and the user banned from this discussion. There is no need to quote them further and we can get back to the topic at hand. So, who liked, disliked or kinda sorta liked GODZILLA KOM on Blu-ray??

Once gain, thanks guys!

Regards,
Toe, darthray, SuperFist and 4 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
So I just now was able to crawl out of the pile of rubble that was once my home after watching Godzilla KOM last night .......seriously, THAT WAS INSANE!!! I did a double feature with the 2014 film and it all left me stunned. I watched both films at my normal -1 from reference and my subs run ~10dbs hot from ~40hz and below until they run out of gas at 11-12hz and it was shocking! I've seen the 2014 film many times in my theater and it's always a great HT ride, but right from the very start of the 2019 film it's clear this soundtrack is a different beast!

This goes in the same league of audio tracks as Underworld Awakening, Mad Max Fury Road and one or two others ( I might put Aquaman in there as well) for me and is something I will watch many times over the coming years.

4k PQ was fantastic as well!

The monster fights were so awesome! So much fun to watch!

Yeah, the human element was as advertised and I especially found the guy with glasses who just makes smartass jokes the whole film very annoying, but whatever.......this movie is all about watching monsters kick the **** out of each other and taking in the insane HT experience! It's a total thrill ride!!

Greetings,

Woo Hoo! Exactly Todd. So glad to hear that this one gave your system a workout too.

Regards,
Toe, darthray and audiofan1 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #95 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Stop picking on our Ralph. He rates extras. Audio and UHD quality as well as the movie. He tends to rate high but apply your own curve or look to other reviewers or metacritic. Ralph rates some good movies that I would otherwise miss and he is here at the AVS forum.
Is it possible you might have misapprehended the message of our newbie friend? Yes, the commentary was ostensibly about Ralph and his reviews, but the subject and motivation of the posts was, as we frequently see, the attention need of our newbie poster. That is all those posts were intended to serve, whether it be claiming address to Ralph or anything else, the primary purpose was to elicit outraged response to buttress a diminutive sense of self -- "Oh my, look at the furor I have engendered, I must be very powerful indeed."

People intimidated by creativity often find solace in battering positive expression to depose the power of something they don't feel capable of. Film making is creative, and no one is obliged to spend their time on it. Similarly Ralph's reviews are creative expression. His are virtually the only reviews I ever need consult. He is uniquely gifted at extracting and revealing a film's essential elements. This is service and benefit to the world, and particularly we aficionados of film here on the forum.

It is uncanny that I should be able to read Ralph's review of GODZILLA and find that it more or less exactly matches my appraisal, though I certainly recognize that he has gone to extraordinary lengths to share something with us, whereas I'm just one of the beneficiaries. If anyone is not feeling that benefit, one certainly need not pass this way. For those to whom that pertains, accord yourself some gentle self-care -- we hate to see you waste the time of your life with something that fails to reward you......
SuperFist and AmerCa like this.
post #96 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Quote:

Hey Todd,

I run my Dual Subs hot too (about 6 dbs) and I can' even imagine listening to this movie at -1!! My ears were still ringing a bit this morning when I woke up; fact is I thought I might have a case of tinnitus but then the ringing gradually subsided.

I was very pleased though that my subs were able to perform well. I didn't hear one note of distortion. One of the favorite timestamps is at the 1 Hr. 4 Min mark where they used nuclear bombs in the bottom of the sea....my, what a rippling wave of energy went across my room!!

Denny

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #97 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Todd,

I run my Dual Subs hot too (about 6 dbs) and I can' even imagine listening to this movie at -1!! My ears were still ringing a bit this morning when I woke up; fact is I thought I might have a case of tinnitus but then the ringing gradually subsided.

I was very pleased though that my subs were able to perform well. I didn't hear one note of distortion. One of the favorite timestamps is at the 1 Hr. 4 Min mark where they used nuclear bombs in the bottom of the sea....my, what a rippling wave of energy went across my room!!

Denny
That nuclear bomb scene was awesome Denny! So many crazy bass/audio moments in this film!

I really should have turned it down a bit and it was one of the few films where I was right at my comfort limit for bass in particular, but it's just so much fun at those levels I have a hard time backing off.

Glad you enjoyed this one as well though!
post #98 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That nuclear bomb scene was awesome Denny! So many crazy bass/audio moments in this film!

I really should have turned it down a bit and it was one of the few films where I was right at my comfort limit for bass in particular, but it's just so much fun at those levels I have a hard time backing off.

Glad you enjoyed this one as well though!
I read the review from this morning again and noted that your subs will go down to 11-12 Hz. Mine are probably good down to 15-16 Hz. and then my "Limiter" will stop it from going any further. I read on either Blu-ray.com or HiDefDigest.com the lowest this movie registered was at 17 Hz and that the vast majority of the film was in the mid 20s. I can believe the latter figure but I'll bet some material was digging close to the 10 Hz or below. Is there a graph reading on the movie in the Bass Thread?

At any rate, I LOVED the tactile sensations this movie gave us. Like you said, it was "a different beast!"

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #99 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 3358
Too many posts to quote, for this movie was bliss to hear

Since I enjoy many movies, that need you to park your brain at the door. And enjoy-it for what it is, a pop corn movie (beer and small cigar for me).
It is one more blind buy for me, and very much forward to watch this one

As usual, I will post my short impressions once I see-it.

Darth
Ralph Potts, djoberg and SteveC356 like this.

Last edited by darthray; 08-30-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #100 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

The most recent disruptive posts have been deleted and the user banned from this discussion. There is no need to quote them further and we can get back to the topic at hand. So, who liked, disliked or kinda sorta liked GODZILLA KOM on Blu-ray??

Once gain, thanks guys!

Regards,
No need to thank us
You are the one always doing a great service, for all the members who visit your reviews.
Glad this person is now banned.

Darth
Ralph Potts and gbaby like this.
post #101 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Godzilla: King of the Monsters Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Just finished watching this in our basement 7.2.6 Atmos.
The audio surround mix and usage first rate, the LFE first rate.

Told my kids ... it’s a summer popcorn movie, don’t think about the plot at all, just watch it

We all loved it, truly.

It is what it is, a Godzilla movie.

No hesitation recommending this to others. Don’t overthink some movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #102 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 5611
Quote:
Is there a graph reading on the movie in the Bass Thread?
From the left side, low end of the graph, follow the green dotted line. Also, the heat map or peak spectrum graph is on the bottom right side of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Atmos

Ralph Potts, Toe, darthray and 3 others like this.
post #103 of 147 Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Toe

Quote:
I read the review from this morning again and noted that your subs will go down to 11-12 Hz. Mine are probably good down to 15-16 Hz. and then my "Limiter" will stop it from going any further. I read on either Blu-ray.com or HiDefDigest.com the lowest this movie registered was at 17 Hz and that the vast majority of the film was in the mid 20s. I can believe the latter figure but I'll bet some material was digging close to the 10 Hz or below. Is there a graph reading on the movie in the Bass Thread?

At any rate, I LOVED the tactile sensations this movie gave us. Like you said, it was "a different beast!"
It drops off pretty hard at about 25hz, but it's such a great bass track otherwise and the execution is so good that it's hard to complain.

https://m.imgur.com/V6UljQ2

EDIT: Sorry, looks like Superfist beat me to it. Didnt see that before I posted

Last edited by Toe; 08-31-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #104 of 147 Old 08-31-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Thought this was a great movie experience
Sounded and looked fantastic
Action was non stop
God mode Godzilla was awesome
Rgb, Ralph Potts, darthray and 1 others like this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #105 of 147 Old 09-01-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tomorrow is movie time for us.

While I was set to watch Avengers End Game. I got the feeling it will be this
Since it has all the elements, my Wife like in a movie. Been lots of action, great Sound and Picture.
And been what it is, just a fun ride has a popcorn movie.

Darth
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by darthray; 09-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #106 of 147 Old 09-01-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Really enjoyed this movie in my little HT. It brings the thunder and the lightning! Between my three subs up front and my two boss mini risers, I was getting bombarded with bass! It was great! Also enjoy the various night scenes which look great in a completely blacked out room. Between this movie, Alita and End Game, I have been really pleased with the 4K purchases I have made recently. John Wick 3 is next on the list of pre orders!
post #107 of 147 Old 09-01-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Watched the movie on Friday with the family. As others have mentioned, the story was just OK. Visuals and audio were spectacular. Watched it on my 5.1.4 setup and it was a very impressive audio mix. This is the exact reason that I bought the Power Sound Audio S3601.
post #108 of 147 Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just WATCHED this again so I could LISTEN to the amazing Atmos mix again and I'm going to take back something I said earlier. I had said this film doesn't have any EYE CANDY but I was wrong. On my first viewing I was so over-occupied with the rain, smoke and fog in the last few scenes (which gave the CGI a very SOFT LOOK), that I practically dismissed the amazing virtues this film has to offer.

I had mentioned the deep and inky black levels along with incredible specular highlights, but there are also many cases where the director zoomed in to reveal excellent facial texture in both humans and monsters. Also, there are MANY scenes that show GORGEOUS COLORS on monitor screen in planes, submarines and underground control rooms. Those colors really shine against an inky black background. Then there is the first scene with Kyle Chandler when he's filming some lions devouring their prey in Colorado...that scene was as good as any I've seen in the Reference Quality documentary Planet Earth 2 (UHD).

So, this movie is both a FEAST FOR THE EYES & THE EARS!
Ralph Potts, Toe, darthray and 1 others like this.

post #109 of 147 Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know what's the rule of thumb on when 4K movies go on sale after release?
post #110 of 147 Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
Anyone know what's the rule of thumb on when 4K movies go on sale after release?
I suppose that there is no rule-of-thumb, but I'd be pleased to hear otherwise.

I haven't seen any equivalent of the $6 BD bins starting up at BestBuy yet. I have picked up a few titles at $10 each, but not many.

I comfort myself by looking at my collection of audio CDs. Some were $19 each, in 1985. That would be equivalent to over $40 today. (I admit that I've listened to most of the CDs more times than I'd ever watch any movie.)
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #111 of 147 Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 2951
Hi Ralph

You nailed this one! I was just thinking about the movie itself and it could've had the best script, deep character development etc.. But I still would've checked my brain at the door juiced my subs at went all in at reference volume and watch! eh hum! Godzilla King of Monster's! This was well worth the wait and will see hours of replay. This was a blast and the kid in me was more than satisfied. I agree with you and so many other's 100% on this fantastic a/v delight
Ralph Potts, Toe, darthray and 1 others like this.
post #112 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Man, this Godzilla flick will most certainly rock your room to its very core!

What master volume were you listening at? Did you increase the LFE level after calibration aka how many total dB do you have the sub boosted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #113 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I was listening at -1 with no added boost to my subwoofers. How are you controlling the 10dB boost under 40 Hz? Mini DSP? Do you feel that increasing the LFE level three times more than the calibrated level is overpowering?

post #114 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Tomorrow is movie time for us.

While I was set to watch Avengers End Game. I got the feeling it will be this
Since it has all the elements, my Wife like in a movie. Been lots of action, great Sound and Picture.
And been what it is, just a fun ride has a popcorn movie.

Darth
And indeed, Godzilla King of Monster's was the one we watch
I did enjoy-it for what it was, a fun popcorn movie with lots of actions.

The picture was very nice, even in those dark scenes.
Very well use of all Atmos speakers, and for the bass.
either this recording is very hot, or I screw-up during my last calibration.
Had to bring the bass down by a few dB, and only be able to listen at -16 dB, from my usual minus 12-13.5 dB

Darth
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 09-03-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #115 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawCPA View Post
I was listening at -1 with no added boost to my subwoofers. How are you controlling the 10dB boost under 40 Hz? Mini DSP? Do you feel that increasing the LFE level three times more than the calibrated level is overpowering?

I still use my SMS-1 for bass eq, but that is mainly to get a flat response for music. My ~10dbs below 40hz is a room induced peak that just happens to maintain itself until my subs run out of gas around 11-12hz so it ends up being a nice type of house or shelf curve that I prefer for most movies.

My room is a bit hard for bass in general being carpet over concrete with two concrete foundation walls behind the drywall. I dont find this much bass boost overbearing in the particular room, but someone else could feel different if they heard my setup. What constitutes too much bass is very subjective. I love it though which is why I keep it this way. I also run a couple Buttkickers attached to a platform that my couch sits on which is a must IMO in a carpet over concrete room in order to get that suspended wood floor sensation.
post #116 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
Usually no major sales unless the film itself didn't do very well in sales. Other than that, the major sales are during Black Friday. Disney films don't have a sale unless a related film releases around it. For example, Marvel movies will go on sale when a new one go into theaters or releases for home release.
Dizzle406 likes this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by TheSonyExperience; 09-03-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #117 of 147 Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawCPA View Post
What master volume were you listening at? Did you increase the LFE level after calibration aka how many total dB do you have the sub boosted?

I was listening at -1 from reference and for the mode I was listening to this in (I have many modes saved in my Q-sys UCI), the sub raises 5db once 30Hz hits (but the q value allows for a gentle slope, so the shelf really starts at around 40hz), and jumps another 5db once 10hz hits. The result is a chest-slamming, taut, great sounding/feeling bass effect. Highly recommended for this movie!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts, djoberg and LawCPA like this.
post #118 of 147 Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 438
"The film runs a bit too long, especially given the plots shallow elements..."

The above is a quote from Ralph's review. A friend of mine gave me the digital copy and I watched it, but fell asleep. I will watch it again in its entirety when my 3D version comes.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #119 of 147 Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 906
...time to put on my 10yo kid glasses and have some fun on my newly unboxed UB820 + (1yo) RS420 + pair of Rythmik 12SE's
Ralph Potts and mtbdudex like this.
post #120 of 147 Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Really enjoyed it @Ralph Potts, agree with @Toe that this was great. Bass pounding with the fights. After the first watch, I went to the very start and the shake with the intro is great. I had to turn on the BOSS as well. I am nowhere near -1 like @Toe, but may try to get a little closer this weekend when they are all gone from the house.
Ralph Potts, Toe and djoberg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page