John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #31 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
You have a native 4K projector now, right? Because I scanned the UHD a bit before I plan to watch the movie this week and its just like the other two. Great colors, great sound quality, but video resolution is very lacking and very 1080p like. I'd give resolution / clarity a 3 out of 5 max. It's obviously a 4K upscale from 2K source. I did some side-by-side using the 1080p bluray and I think madVR's upcaling of the 1080p actually looks more 4K like than the UHD. Of course the HDR is very well done in this so I'm only talking about resolution.
It's a shame when a studio gets a pass for taking a movie and reducing it to a 2K digital master then upscales that and gets a 5/5 for video sharpness
farsider3000 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You have a native 4K projector now, right? Because I scanned the UHD a bit before I plan to watch the movie this week and its just like the other two. Great colors, great sound quality, but video resolution is very lacking and very 1080p like. I'd give resolution / clarity a 3 out of 5 max. It's obviously a 4K upscale from 2K source. I did some side-by-side using the 1080p bluray and I think madVR's upcaling of the 1080p actually looks more 4K like than the UHD. Of course the HDR is very well done in this so I'm only talking about resolution.
It's a shame when a studio gets a pass for taking a movie and reducing it to a 2K digital master then upscales that and gets a 5/5 for video sharpness

Greetings,

That rating is for the 1080p video not the UHD.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #33 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked: 15782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Cant wait till it’s released over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You guys are usually in the future. Probably need more Vegemite for your DeLorean.

Advertisement

post #34 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked: 15782
Watched the UHD disc last night. Missed this in the theaters and was really looking forward to it. I was not disappointed. Wow! The colors are rich and vibrant with the DV, like The Dudes rug, tying it all together. The audio is fantastic. Clean and tight. I felt the gunshots. I was in the combat zone. Lol. If you're a fan of the Wick you'll dig this movie.
dnoonie and SteveC356 like this.

post #35 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I loved the first movie and enjoyed the second, though I thought it got a bit carried away. This third one ramps it up to the point of ridiculousness. The choreographed fight scenes remind me of old school B-rated martial arts films. "You wait there as I work my moves on this guy." Halle Berry's character was flat and miscast and the entire wandering through the dessert / bargaining for his life scene contrived.
I am in the minority though, seeing Ralph's and others' favorable reviews.
Have not seen the third yet. Agree with you 100% of the first two. I would rather have 80% less bad guys and have it seem more real. All these people with AR's etc and you run around a corner to where JW is even though you just saw a guy's head get blown off. So much is dark. Just get in a dark corner and wait for JW to enter the room and shoot 7 other guys and shoot JW in the head. Easy. Movie over! But seriously it is like Kill Bill where everyone is just sitting and waiting till its their turn to move.
post #36 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I loved the first movie and enjoyed the second, though I thought it got a bit carried away. This third one ramps it up to the point of ridiculousness. The choreographed fight scenes remind me of old school B-rated martial arts films. "You wait there as I work my moves on this guy." Halle Berry's character was flat and miscast and the entire wandering through the dessert / bargaining for his life scene contrived.

Not so much...just the few that actually didn't leg-hump the film out of peer pressure.
Although the horses in the stalls scene was hilarious....
I felt the same as you do...for me the 3rd was just a live action video game, monotonous, but slightly better then 2.

I rate them in the order 1, 3, 2. So far.

1 will always be the best.
post #37 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post
Not so much...just the few that actually didn't leg-hump the film out of peer pressure.
That's funny!
hifiHigh likes this.
post #38 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
For the most part I find shoot em up's repetitive and boring. But the best one's going these days are from Keanu and Im excited to give this one a watch. Ive heard nothing but good things and those scores Ralph are wonderful!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #39 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You guys are usually in the future. Probably need more Vegemite for your DeLorean.

Tried it but no go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #40 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

That rating is for the 1080p video not the UHD.

Regards,
Ok sorry about that. I see you did lower the rating on the UHD now. Not as low as I'd recommend but at least is not 5 out of 5
Ralph Potts likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #41 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I thoroughly enjoyed JW3. The atmosphere they've created is fantastic and visually a treat to watch on a large projection presentation in UHD HDR. The rainy night scenes across NYC look so great. As a movie, it's choreographed, stylised action done so well. You do have switch off and go along for the ride though. I watch enough 'serious' films as it is, so movies like the John Wick series are a fun departure IMHO.
post #42 of 104 Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nice review, Ralph! My Best Buy Steelbook should be here tomorrow!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #43 of 104 Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Great review again Ralph. My copy of JW3 should arrive tomorrow and I look forward to watching it over the weekend. It was a no-brainer for me to order it after reading your review.

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #44 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Anybody who has the disc care to comment on how it sounds compared to the first two movies? I've got it but waiting till the weekend to watch. I assume it will be excellent like its predecessors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marantz SR6011 * Outlaw Model 750 * M&K S-150 LCR * M&K SS-150 Surrounds * JBL In Ceiling Atmos * FI IB318v2 x4
post #45 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Saw some feedback in the BEQ thread, apparently JW3 doesn't have the same hot mix as JW2.

Marantz SR6011 * Outlaw Model 750 * M&K S-150 LCR * M&K SS-150 Surrounds * JBL In Ceiling Atmos * FI IB318v2 x4
post #46 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 263
To those to whom this might be important: Be advised that the digital copy sheet presents not a standard alpha-numeric code to be used in the standard way, but states that the copy is available after downloading an app to your phone and scanning the digital copy insert -- in particular a micro-sized box containing seemingly random geometric shapes (as you have seen elsewhere), but this one is incredibly small.

Also too, apparently needing to be scanned is a tiny metallic shield-shaped icon. Both of these are contained in a background field white box that is 5/8" by 9/8" -- super-miniaturized. It is hard for me to imagine capturing an accurate scan of something so small. Failing your ability to scan these, you are instructed in super-fine small print to go to a website and enter a sequence of seven letters and numbers that appear in that same microscopic white box. Those letters are 1/16" high, and apparently do not work on the named website.

So this copy is unique, and apparently unusable -- hopefully not the wave of the future. I will return my JOHN WICK 3 for this reason, and will inform the big river that the copy is defective.
post #47 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
To those to whom this might be important: Be advised that the digital copy sheet presents not a standard alpha-numeric code to be used in the standard way, but states that the copy is available after downloading an app to your phone and scanning the digital copy insert -- in particular a micro-sized box containing seemingly random geometric shapes (as you have seen elsewhere), but this one is incredibly small.

Also too, apparently needing to be scanned is a tiny metallic shield-shaped icon. Both of these are contained in a background field white box that is 5/8" by 9/8" -- super-miniaturized. It is hard for me to imagine capturing an accurate scan of something so small. Failing your ability to scan these, you are instructed in super-fine small print to go to a website and enter a sequence of seven letters and numbers that appear in that same microscopic white box. Those letters are 1/16" high, and apparently do not work on the named website.

So this copy is unique, and apparently unusable -- hopefully not the wave of the future. I will return my JOHN WICK 3 for this reason, and will inform the big river that the copy is defective.
Anyone successfully redeem their digital code? I went to the aforementioned website but it won't let me redeem unless I sign up to be included in their newsletters. I don't want to do that. There's no reason they should require me to receive ads just so I can receive a product I've already purchased. In the small print it also states "... for digital video playback in HD on a single digital service ..." Can anyone confirm whether the digital version is HD or UHD? I really like the John Wick series and want to support them by buying disks but I'm irritated they're making it more difficult than it should be.
post #48 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 777
You kind of know what your getter here and delivers in spades -
Top notch all around on technical side - those shotgun cannons ripping holes thru my chest with every blast - Fun stuff
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #49 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Turbo View Post
Anyone successfully redeem their digital code?.
Nope. Same issues as previously posted. Somewhere in the maze it said that it was an HD code, not UHD. I'm returning mine too. Lionsgate did not respond to support email either. Interesting that Vudu has a redemption page for this title but it also doesn't accept the code.
post #50 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd401 View Post
Anybody who has the disc care to comment on how it sounds compared to the first two movies? I've got it but waiting till the weekend to watch. I assume it will be excellent like its predecessors.

It might not be as "hot" as Part 2 but it is still fantastic. The bass is potent, the Atmos is very active and the sound bubble is there. I was on cloud 9 the whole time.

I enjoyed the movie itself much more on the 2nd viewing. It's almost a jumped the shark affair but it's so fun.. who cares!

The picture is amazing.. drool worthy HDR and the black levels are fantastically inky. Color pop everywhere.

I'm going to have to watch this again over the weekend.. maybe invite a few friends to join me!

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #51 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Anyone successfully redeem their digital code? I went to the aforementioned website but it won't let me redeem unless I sign up to be included in their newsletters. I don't want to do that. There's no reason they should require me to receive ads just so I can receive a product I've already purchased. In the small print it also states "... for digital video playback in HD on a single digital service ..." Can anyone confirm whether the digital version is HD or UHD? I really like the John Wick series and want to support them by buying disks but I'm irritated they're making it more difficult than it should be.
I was able to redeem by scanning the small logo - after that it had my redemption code and it showed up in my iTunes library. Did not check VUDU. Probably spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why I could not scan the redeem code!

Deleted Lionsgate VIP app afterwards.
dnoonie likes this.
post #52 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
I was able to redeem by scanning the small logo - after that it had my redemption code and it showed up in my iTunes library. Did not check VUDU. Probably spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why I could not scan the redeem code!

Deleted Lionsgate VIP app afterwards.
Does it show up as an HD or UHD release in iTunes?
post #53 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
It might not be as "hot" as Part 2 but it is still fantastic. The bass is potent, the Atmos is very active and the sound bubble is there. I was on cloud 9 the whole time.

I enjoyed the movie itself much more on the 2nd viewing. It's almost a jumped the shark affair but it's so fun.. who cares!

The picture is amazing.. drool worthy HDR and the black levels are fantastically inky. Color pop everywhere.

I'm going to have to watch this again over the weekend.. maybe invite a few friends to join me!
Sweet, thanks fo the info.

I got the wife and kids leaving and buddies coming to watch Saturday. May grab a bottle of Blanton’s as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #54 of 104 Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Wasn't a fan. Thought the first one was a near perfect movie, and even enjoyed diving deeper into his world with the second one, but man, the third one . . .
Spoiler!

I dunno, maybe I'll try again when I have friends over, but this was one of the bigger let downs for me lately. Bring on Spidey!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #55 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Does it show up as an HD or UHD release in iTunes?
It appears as 4K with Dolby Vision & Atmos on my ATV4K no problem.
post #56 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
sorry to disappoint darth, the gunshots are nowhere close to JW2, the overall track is not impressive and mixed quite low IMO. JW2 is in another league sound track wise

Ray
Picked up yesterday and watched it, have to agree. The sound was not up to the other two, I also thought the mix was a tad low, picture was first rate, though.
Rengozu likes this.
post #57 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Great review Ralph...couldn't agree more.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #58 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 761
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

[quote=310Turbo;58540750]Anyone successfully redeem their digital code? I went to the aforementioned website but it won't let me redeem unless I sign up to be included in their newsletters. I don't want to do that. There's no reason they should require me to receive ads just so I can receive a product I've already purchased. In the small print it also states "... for digital video playback in HD on a single digital service ..." Can anyone confirm whether the digital version is HD or UHD? I really like the John Wick series and want to support them by buying disks but I'm irritated they're making it more difficult than it should be.[/answered

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #59 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Cool Halle Berry wandering through dessert?

Quote:
I find the opportunity to view Halle Berry wandering through ANY dessert, e.g. cherry pie, chocolate mousse, etc., quite appealing.
Ralph Potts and hernanu like this.
post #60 of 104 Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
I find the opportunity to view Halle Berry wandering through ANY dessert, e.g. cherry pie, chocolate mousse, etc., quite appealing.
Halle Berry smeared with chocolate mousse - that'd be good, but mainly in a different costume. (Thinking of her famous first few frames in Die Another Day.)

(I've retired, so they can't refer me to HR.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page