John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #1 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Super-assassin John Wick is on the run after killing a member of the international assassin's guild, and with a $14 million price tag on his head - he is the target of hit men and women everywhere. Ralph Potts review the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Halle Berry, Laurence Fishburne, Mark Dacascos, Asia Kate Dillon, Lance Reddick, Ian McShane, Angelica Huston
Directed by: Chad Stahelski
Music by: Tyler Bates and Joel J. Richard
Written by:Derek Kolstad, Shay Hatten, Chris Collins, Marc Abrams
Region Code: A

Release Date: September 10, 2019

"Prepare for War"

Synopsis:

“Super assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) has a $14 million price tag on his head after killing a member of the High Table, the shadowy international assassins’ guild. Now excommunicado, and with an army of the world’s most ruthless hit men and women on his trail, John must find a way to survive in this third chapter of the adrenaline-fueled action series.” – Lionsgate Home Entertainment

My Take:

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum picks right where the previous film ends finding John Wick on the run after he executes a member of the High Table while in the protective confines of The Continental Hotel. Now marked as excommunicado by the shadowy international assassin's guild, John finds himself stripped of the organization's protective services with a $14 million bounty on his head, becoming the target of the world's most ruthless killers. With nowhere else to turn John must return to his roots in order to access those that can assist him in finding a means to locating the organization’s covert leader that stands above the “high table” in order to stave off the death sentence facing him.

I am most decidedly a fan of the JW film series and had every intention of seeing it while it was in theaters but, never got around to it. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum adheres to the series formula via its slick, stylish essence which elevates the narrative’s elements from typical action/thriller to that of a graphic novel brought to life. Yes, it’s indeed predictable, with a rather surface level story that began in the first film and continues to play out into this installment. Truth be told these aren’t films that truly meant to be about the story but, are aimed at adrenaline fueled action, the type of which diehard genre fans feed on.

As with the previous JW films, the action, especially the fight choreography, and attention to detail used in the gunfight exchanges, is frenetic and engaging. The use of visual effects is kept to a minimum in favor of excellent stunt work which adds to the appeal. I like the direction which keeps focus on point without overemphasizing the elements of drama while interweaving the “moments” that stitch context and action together. I really enjoyed the characters of Sofia (Halle Berry) and the “Adjudicator” (Asia Kate Dillon) both of whom made the most of their limited but, no less pivotal roles.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum is every bit as entertaining as its predecessors, which is all that you can ask from any sequel. Once again, the door is left open for more to come from a character who seems to have breathed new life into the action film career of Keanu Reeves. We’ll see comes next!

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating for strong bloody violence throughout and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum was derived from a 2.8K source, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K.

The 1080p transfer looks solid and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, and emboldened highlights, both light and dark. John Wick 3 is a visually dazzling film that benefits from the enhanced resolution and emboldened contrast. This is a dark action thriller that features elements that make use of rich color and, a distinctive visual aesthetic. Intimate details can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension.

The use of HDR is spot on, driving the story’s use of moody visual cues offset by gleams of light that illuminate dark environs, like the compound where John and Sofia meet with Berrada of the theater where the ballerinas rehearse. The film’s plethora of shadow laden environs offer increased resolve in terms of interstitial details that promote depth of field. Blacks are inky without compromise to fidelity. The film utilizes sepia, neon schemed color and, an overall warm chromatic aesthetic that appears faithfully reproduced. I found instances where the image softened, depending on the camera angle, however this appears to innate, as it is present in both the Ultra HD, and 1080p renderings.

Stylistically speaking, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum isn’t the type of film that is going to dazzle with its use of eye scorching dynamism or sun splashed color rendering. There is no question that its Ultra HD presentation appears faithful and makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for JW 3 I found the HDR renderings to be close but, the Dolby Vision presentation edged out the HDR-10 rendering. This came primarily in the form of minutely improved interstitials in blacks. I also thought that white detail fared better ever so slightly. Color rendering was a tossup, but, if I was forced to choose, I would give the nod to the Dolby Vision’s handling of the film’s varied color base. As I alluded to earlier, each of these presentations looked terrific, and share many of the same positive attributes. Both are simply fantastic and deserving of their technical ratings. I suspect that those capable of viewing it in Dolby Vision will find it to be just a notch above.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics, music and discrete effects. This is done to very good effect, creating a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The motorcycle chase through NYC features a host of swirling effects that travel around the soundstage moving overheard, passing by and coming directly at the listening position.

Throughout the course of the film there are set pieces that show off the immersive effect as the blend of music, weapon fire and smaller object sounds rain down from above. Everything comes together during the violent encounters at the Berrada compound and Continental Hotel where you are placed inside the action as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and made for an entertaining and thoroughly engaging listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide-angle shots of the city and desert sequence look great. Framed at 2.39:1 the video has excellent depth, and a stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. John Wick 3: Parabellum looks great on Blu-ray.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an active audio presentation that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is quite good as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the large fight sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the low frequency effects to accentuate its dynamic presence. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile bass impact. Dialog has refining presence with clear vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is an entertaining audio presentation that compliments the film while making for an excellent home theater experience.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: John Wick 3: Parabellum Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: John Wick 3: Parabellum Blu-ray
    4K UHD / BLU-RAY / DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES
    • “Parabellum: Legacy of the High Table” Featurette
    • “Excommunicado” Featurette
    • “Check Your Sights” Featurette
    • “Saddle Up Wick” Featurette
    • “Bikes, Blades, Bridges, and Bits” Featurette
    • “Continental in the Desert” Featurette
    • “Dog Fu” Featurette
    • “House of Transparency” Featurette
    • “Shot by Shot” Featurette
    • Theatrical Trailer #1
    • Theatrical Trailer #2
    • John Wick Hex Game Trailer
    • “Behind the Scenes of John Wick Hex” Featurette
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

As with its predecessors John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum doesn’t reinvent the wheel but, ramps the entertainment factor, with an entertaining blend of stylized action, and well executed production elements, that give it a genre bending appeal. It arrives on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack that features rewarding Ultra HD video in both Dolby Vision and HDR10 flavors, excellent high definition audio/video quality, engaging Dolby Atmos immersive sound, and a fair assortment of extras that are worth exploring if you’re a fan.

If you enjoy the John Wick film series John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum is more of the same and lots of fun. It looks and sounds great on Blu-ray. If you’re set up for Ultra HD Blu-ray and immersive sound, the home theater experience is taken up a notch. Either way this one belongs in the collection of genre fans. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
OzHDHT, darthray, gbaby and 7 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
I did the VUDU disc+digital and wasn't really impressed with the stream, so it is nice to see the disc faired better. As for the film itself, it is my least favorite of the three.
Ralph Potts and Steve544 like this.
post #3 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 777
😁😁😁😁😁😁
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
I confess that lately I've been limiting my visits to the theater more now that a Dolby Cinema is within striking distance (about 3/4 hour to the Boston area).

It's caused by lazyness in not wanting to drive the distance some times and the inevitability of life's little impediments getting in the way.

So in my snootiness, I have waited for some releases to UHD disc despite having perfectly good regular cinemas nearby.

It's caused me some distress (Endgame) in trying to avoid finding out the story before seeing it, but my system at home is very capable, so if I don't see it on a Dolby Cinema, 3D on IMAX or one of the rare 70 mm (Dunkirk), I'll typically wait.

This movie falls right into that slot. I really wanted to see it, but was not able to reach it, so I avoided talk about its script so it's fresh. I don't care if it's not as good as the previous, since to me it's a continuum of the story, so I'll thoroughly enjoy it as much as the last two.

Thanks for the review, Ralph - glad to see it's in DV.
Ralph Potts, darthray and dnoonie like this.
post #5 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 734
I loved the first movie and enjoyed the second, though I thought it got a bit carried away. This third one ramps it up to the point of ridiculousness. The choreographed fight scenes remind me of old school B-rated martial arts films. "You wait there as I work my moves on this guy." Halle Berry's character was flat and miscast and the entire wandering through the dessert / bargaining for his life scene contrived.
I am in the minority though, seeing Ralph's and others' favorable reviews.
Ralph Potts and thehun like this.
post #6 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
I'm in the minority as well [gee that never happened before ] I think the series is really getting tired and repetitive, Berry didn't do much to help things along but "Bronn" on the other hand did. The desert thing was much of it out of the Scorpion King, except he didn't get the army of Anubis. Reeves is on board on to play this character "forever" so yeah much more will come...

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #7 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Liked the first one, LOVED the second one. Will be a day one purchase for me! Glad to hear it's a great transfer!

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #8 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm in, I'm all in.
post #9 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I liked the first movie, loved the second, did not like this third movie. Things were getting a bit ridiculous in 2 but 3 greatly ramped up the absurdity.

I have difficulty believing that people who get stabbed in the head and chest or shot at close point blank range would still be able to do martial arts like they were all bulletproof. Also, the mysticism and the ludicrous mythology was getting a bit much (i.e., Wick getting branded before Casablanca, that dude in the tent in the desert, etc.). Lastly, they spent the entirety of the second movie building up how scary Baba Yaga is in the underworld yet all these people would risk their lives to kill the unkillable for a measly $14 million?

I’m skipping this one. Paying to watch bad movies and buying them on disk incentivizes Hollywood to make more intelligence insulting contrived entertainment.

*One bonus observation: I know that New Yorkers don’t give a [email protected] about each other or anyone else and public murder may be a thing in NYC but even they would scatter or at least trample each other when they observe two super assassins committing mass murder in the middle of Grand Central Station. Yet another Hollywood contrivance.*
AmerCa likes this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #10 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Absolutely loved the first film and really enjoyed the second as well. For the third, which I was so looking forward to, I was terribly disappointed. What made the first film so good was that there was a real story and purpose motivating the protagonist propelling the incredible choreography and action, you cared about the characters and their motivations. The second film was certainly thinner in story line but stilll held up nicely. This third film, which I am sure I will buy anyway, had no real story or character development. It was one, very long, but beautifully choreographed fight scene. This is the same way I felt about the recent Mad Max which had no real story but was one long, but beautifully choreographed road race and crash up.

Certainly, Ralph, you did it again in terms of an excellent review...I just can't agree that this was a good film. My guess is that the fourth will be even less interesting and possibly be the death of the series. That is, unless they bring back a real story. Don't count on it though.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #11 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
While there was many positive, and some negative view for this movie.
I am still pump to watch this one
I will still buy this one, and watch JW2 last week. Just to put the story fresh in my mind.
And if the guns shot, are near the sonic bliss of JW2. I will be all

Darth
Ralph Potts, pkeegan and Franin like this.

Last edited by darthray; 09-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.
post #12 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I’m easily entertained and really enjoyed JW3 just as much as the first two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
While there was many positive, and some negative view for this movie.
I am still pump to watch this one
I will still buy this one, and watch JW2 last week. Just to put the story fresh in my mind.
And if the guns shot, are near the sonic bliss of JW2. I will be all

Darth
sorry to disappoint darth, the gunshots are nowhere close to JW2, the overall track is not impressive and mixed quite low IMO. JW2 is in another league sound track wise

Ray

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #14 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I liked the first movie, loved the second, did not like this third movie. Things were getting a bit ridiculous in 2 but 3 greatly ramped up the absurdity.

I have difficulty believing that people who get stabbed in the head and chest or shot at close point blank range would still be able to do martial arts like they were all bulletproof. Also, the mysticism and the ludicrous mythology was getting a bit much (i.e., Wick getting branded before Casablanca, that dude in the tent in the desert, etc.). Lastly, they spent the entirety of the second movie building up how scary Baba Yaga is in the underworld yet all these people would risk their lives to kill the unkillable for a measly $14 million?

I’m skipping this one. Paying to watch bad movies and buying them on disk incentivizes Hollywood to make more intelligence insulting contrived entertainment.

*One bonus observation: I know that New Yorkers don’t give a [email protected] about each other or anyone else and public murder may be a thing in NYC but even they would scatter or at least trample each other when they observe two super assassins committing mass murder in the middle of Grand Central Station. Yet another Hollywood contrivance.*
No they would try to film it on their phones while trying to take cover, that is reality. Life is more unbelievable than any movie.
Ralph Potts, thehun and WOKNROX like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #15 of 104 Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I will disagree with some people here in that I really liked JW3. The movie starts literally where the last one ended. Endless senseless violence with over the top fight scenes and ridiculous gunplay is the reason why I watch John Wick, and the movie did not disappoint in any way. Snuck out with the guys for a 'boys night out' when it was released and had an absolute blast. Day 1 purchase for me.
Legairre, Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #16 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks for solid review Ralph. Fwiw, we saw this movie the opening weekend and we loved it. It was a blast. Interested in watching it again on my OLED.
Ralph Potts, darthray and dnoonie like this.
post #17 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I did the Disc + Digital with VUDU and have been avoiding watching the stream since I knew the disc would fair better. This is the review I was hoping to see. I love this franchise and John Wick 2 is one of my favorite reference grade pieces on both the audio and video side. Can't wait for my disc to arrive. Thank you so much.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
post #18 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
sorry to disappoint darth, the gunshots are nowhere close to JW2, the overall track is not impressive and mixed quite low IMO. JW2 is in another league sound track wise

Ray
If that is the case, Bummer
But will still get it, since I love the first two.
But thanks for the heads-up

Darth (another Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I will disagree with some people here in that I really liked JW3. The movie starts literally where the last one ended. Endless senseless violence with over the top fight scenes and ridiculous gunplay is the reason why I watch John Wick, and the movie did not disappoint in any way. Snuck out with the guys for a 'boys night out' when it was released and had an absolute blast. Day 1 purchase for me.
Same here

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 09-05-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #19 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Ralph has me reading his reviews on movies I don't even like, because it's a joy to read his takes on them as they are so artfully elucidated.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #20 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

To be clear I am referring to the audio track. Not the movie plot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #21 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
This film got boring and repetitive really quick. Kick bad guy, headshot. Kick bad guy, double headshot. Wrestle bad guy, headshot. Repeat a good 100 times and you have 95% of the film covered.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #22 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 531
What I loved about JW2 was the rock solid camera work during action scenes. I am so sick of the blurry mess with the excessive use of shaky cam in almost every movie. Looking forward to JW3 assuming its filmed the same way. Hiding poor choreography or special effects with shaky cam is so common I am sure it took a lot more work to not use it. The Mustang escape scene in JW2 is one of my favorites to show off my theater for both the rock solid camera work and Atmos track.
dnoonie likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #23 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Ralph has me reading his reviews on movies I don't even like, because it's a joy to read his takes on them as they are so artfully elucidated.

Greetings,

Thanks SF. I really appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #24 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Great Review

Another great review Ralph. I have the first two and will be buying this one also.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 15, Windows 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16)Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #25 of 104 Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 798
FWIW

When you're tired of make-believe shootouts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...rvF2ImeNWh84mw

(At least one of the vids has John Wick in the title)

(WARNING- real life Security cam/police cam/dash cam/etc footage from all over the world, moderated with excellent Lessons Learned for personal security/self defense/CCW issues)

Last edited by Rgb; 09-07-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #26 of 104 Old 09-06-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The 3rd is my fave. Loved Halle and the dogs. So entertaining.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
post #27 of 104 Old 09-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I will pick this up as I consider JW2 one of the best demos for HDR. Hopefully JW3 will be just as visually and audio spectacular in my home theater. Plot be dammed!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #28 of 104 Old 09-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Great review Mr. Potts!

Had the pleasure of watching last night at home. My setup:

Yamaha Advantage AV Receiver in a 5.1.2 configuration
Sony Blu Ray
Polk TSX speakers
Dayton Audio Sub-1500's (x2)
Buttkicker Advances on main seating couch (x2)
Epson 5030ub projector (1080p with 100 inch Vapex drop down screen)

What is quickly becoming one of the great action film series of all time (my opinion, of course) has produced a third entry that looks and sounds GREAT at home! From 1-5: Picture-5 Sound-5 (or greater). The sound was so perfectly balanced in all frequencies. No distortion, no clipping. Super clean! Crank this one up and enjoy!

Picture is from my screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chapter 3 wick.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	2612234  
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 104 Old 09-07-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked: 15782
My BBY Steelbook arrived early. Missed this one in the theater and really looking forward to firing this up. Loves me some Wick.🤘
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #30 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
My BBY Steelbook arrived early. Missed this one in the theater and really looking forward to firing this up. Loves me some Wick.

Cant wait till it’s released over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page