Blu-ray Spotlight: Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on Ultra HD Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Blu-ray Spotlight: Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on Ultra HD Blu-ray

Ralph Potts puts the Spotlight on Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut, Francis Ford Coppola’s cinematic Vietnam War masterpiece that has been released on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring newly restored video and Dolby Atmos immersive sound.

Synopsis:

In Vietnam in 1970, Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) takes a perilous and increasingly hallucinatory journey upriver to find and terminate Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando), a once-promising officer who has reportedly gone completely mad. In the company of a Navy patrol boat filled with street-smart kids, a surfing-obsessed Air Cavalry officer (Robert Duvall), and a crazed freelance photographer (Dennis Hopper), Willard travels further and further into the heart of darkness.

My Thoughts:

Apocalypse Now needs no introduction among film enthusiasts and is one of the most influential films of our time. Francis Ford Coppola was a master craftsman and storyteller whose vision for this film is fully realized. This film for those of its generation was relevant and, unlike anything you had seen to that point. As a creative work it remains relevant, probably more so today than it was in 1979. Its pacing can be slow at times but, the payoff is in the context and visual storytelling. I haven’t seen it in quite some time and found myself completely engaged when it mattered.

Restored from the original negative for the first time ever, Apocalypse Now Final Cut is Coppola’s most realized version of the film, which was nominated for eight Academy Awards (winning two for Best Cinematography and Best Sound), won three Golden Globes® (Best Original Score, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture, 1980), and is one of AFI’s top 100 films. Starring Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (1972, Best Actor, The Godfather), Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall (1983, Best Actor, Tender Mercies), Golden Globe® winner Martin Sheen (2001, Best Actor – TV Series, “The West Wing”), Academy Award® nominee Dennis Hopper (1986, Best Supporting Actor, Hoosiers), Academy Award® nominee Laurence Fishburne (1993, Best Actor, What’s Love Got to Do with It), and Academy Award® nominee Harrison Ford (1985, Best Actor, Witness), experience Coppola’s spectacular cinematic masterpiece the way it was intended.

The Apocalypse Now Final Cut restoration will be brought to life with Dolby Vision® HDR, bringing entertainment to life through ultra-vivid picture quality. When compared to a standard picture, Dolby Vision can deliver spectacular colors never before seen on a screen, highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker. The 4K Combo Pack and Digital 4K release also feature Dolby Atmos® audio mixed specifically for the home, to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. In addition, the film has been enhanced with Meyer Sound Laboratories’ newly developed Sensual Sound™, a technology engineered to output audio below the limits of human hearing. All of these technologies work together to present Coppola’s true vision of the film, one that delivers deep, visceral visual and auditory impact. Coppola believes Apocalypse Now Final Cut “looks better than it has ever looked, and sounds better than it has ever sounded,” and he is “thrilled beyond measure to present the best version of the film to the world.”

In addition to the restoration, this 4-disc Apocalypse Now Final Cut anniversary set also includes the film’s Theatrical Cut and Extended Cut (Redux), as well as the acclaimed Hearts of Darkness documentary. Loaded with hours of in-depth special features, the set will also feature the fascinating 2019 Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Coppola and the prolific Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape), which has not been seen or heard outside of the festival until now, and newly discovered behind-the-scenes footage.

Release Date: August 27, 2019

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 94

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Apocalypse Now comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from LionsGate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Lionsgate remastered Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut, Redux and Theatrical versions from the original 35mm film elements. Its presentation in Ultra HD is derived from that 4K image.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Apocalypse Now has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

This is period film that relies on visuals to convey its time frame, mood, and thematic tone. Apocalypse Now is a beautifully crafted film, both in narrative, and scope. The cinematography uses wide-angles and sweeping pans of the landscapes which can sometimes impart a bright visual aesthetic. This is purposeful and comes across in this rendering. Looking at the film's opening sequence it, along with select scenes throughout the film, retain the gritty aesthetic that it always has, with no unnecessary additions. Aside from that copious amounts of detail can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension.

The film’s terrific cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and emboldened contrast. The low-level exterior shots of the various landscapes didn’t offer a marked improvement in dimension. Resolution is primarily stable, with some innate softening cropping up, imparting a discernible softness. The color range in the film is narrow, with lots of earth tones, but only the occasional use of primary colors like red and blue appearing onscreen. Shot on 35mm film, using anamorphic lenses, film grain and some innate softening are present.

The use of HDR is spot on, driving the story’s use of visual cues offset by gleams of brilliant light that illuminate the various landscapes and gray skies. The beautiful use of sepia stands out in stark contrast to the gradational blacks, grays and green, that make up the look of wartime featured in the story. The film’s shadow laden environs have never looked better, offering increased interstitial details that promote depth of field. Blacks are inky without compromise to fidelity.

As unimpressive as the 1080p Blu-ray rendering of Apocalypse is, I found the Ultra HD presentation takes it to another level entirely, allowing its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. Video enthusiasts are sure to appreciate it.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR10 presentations for Apocalypse Now, I found the HDR to be extremely close. In fact, I would go so far as to say they were negligible. Again, I want to emphasize that this film’s predominating elements aren’t necessarily lent to the engaging type of HDR that makes the format shine.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. You get a taste of what the track has to offer during the air cavalry raid on the Vietcong village. The use of audio objects placed above, and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects, and music. This is done to excellent effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. The film’s active moments feature elements that revolve, rotate and encompass the listening area.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • 4K UHD SPECIAL FEATURES
    • Disc One
    o NEW: Final Cut intro by Francis Ford Coppola
    • Disc Two
    o Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola (Apocalypse Now Redux)

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
    • Disc Three
    o NEW: Final Cut intro by Francis Ford Coppola
    • Disc Four
    o Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola (Apocalypse Now Redux)
    • Disc Five
    o An Interview with John Milius
    o A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
    o “Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse” Featurette
    o The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
    o “The Hollow Men” Featurette
    o Monkey Sampan “Lost Scene”
    o Additional Scenes
    o “Destruction of the Kurtz Compound” End Credits (with Non-Optional Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
    o “The Birth of 5.1 Sound” Featurette
    o “Ghost Helicopter Flyover” Sound Effects Demonstration
    o “The Synthesizer Soundtrack” Article by Bob Moog
    o “A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
    o “The Music of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
    o “Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
    o “The Final Mix” Featurette
    o “Apocalypse Then and Now” Featurette
    o “2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola” Featurette
    o “PBR Streetgang” Featurette
    o “The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
    • Disc Six
    o Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
    o NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
    o NEW: Super 8mm Behind-the-Scenes Footage
    o NEW: “Dutch Angle: Chas Gerresten & Apocalypse Now” Featurette
    o NEW: “Apocalypse Now: Remastering a Legend in Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmost®
    o NEW: “Apocalypse Now: A Forty-Year Journey” Featurette
    o NEW: “Sensual Sound Technology from Meyer Sound” Featurette
    o John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
    o Storyboard Collection
    o Photo Archive
     Unit Photography
     Mary Ellen Mark Photography
    o Marketing Archive
     1979 Teaser Trailer
     1979 Theatrical Trailer
     1979 Radio Spots
     1979 Theatrical Program
     Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos
     Poster Gallery

DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES
    • Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola (Apocalypse Now Redux)

Final Thoughts:

Apocalypse Now continues to be one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time. Its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Combo Pack from Lionsgate Home Entertainment is sure to please from a technical standpoint as its Ultra HD/Blu-ray video, and Dolby Atmos immersive sound compliment it. As a film enthusiast I am thrilled to own this classic in Ultra HD, and highly recommend it to fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I saw this remaster in a"llie"MAX movie theater two weeks ago and found that it seemed to have a lot of noise reduction applied to the film grain. In most scenes the grain just seemed to be missing. I take it that's not the case with this UHD release?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Any sound problems?

Thanks for the review, Ralph. So there are no sound problems with the 4K UHD version? There were enough complaints about sound issues in the Amazon reviews that I've been holding off buying this until information was available from more reliable reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
I saw this remaster in a"llie"MAX movie theater two weeks ago and found that it seemed to have a lot of noise reduction applied to the film grain. In most scenes the grain just seemed to be missing. I take it that's not the case with this UHD release?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
There were instances where grain took on more emphasis but, I saw no signs of problematic noise reduction. I can't speak to what you observed at the theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
Thanks for the review, Ralph. So there are no sound problems with the 4K UHD version? There were enough complaints about sound issues in the Amazon reviews that I've been holding off buying this until information was available from more reliable reviews.
I didn't experience any sound related problems. Can you be more specific?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
"As unimpressive as the 1080p Blu-ray rendering of Apocalypse is, I found the Ultra HD presentation takes it to another level entirely, allowing its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. Video enthusiasts are sure to appreciate it."

Ralph, to clarify, do you mean the 1080p Blu-ray that's included with this 4K UHD package? It has been acknowledged (bluraydotcom) to be inferior to other available 1080p Blu-ray.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #6 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
"As unimpressive as the 1080p Blu-ray rendering of Apocalypse is, I found the Ultra HD presentation takes it to another level entirely, allowing its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. Video enthusiasts are sure to appreciate it."

Ralph, to clarify, do you mean the 1080p Blu-ray that's included with this 4K UHD package? It has been acknowledged (bluraydotcom) to be inferior to other available 1080p Blu-ray.

Greetings,

Yes.

Regards,
Panson likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post

Looks like I shouldn't get rid of my five dollar blu ray from Target. I already bought the new set. I notice the blu ray in the new set got a 3.75 on scale of 5 over at blu ray.com Inferior is a loaded word, unimpressive is more defined. In Ralph we trust.
Panson likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the reply Ralph.

Appears a lot of the more negative reviews on Amazon (US) are sound related: 1) "The Dolby Atmos track on the Blu-ray version of the Final Cut, cuts out at the 2 hr mark"; 2) "The audio de-synched repeatedly throughout the movie and dropped out completely near the end at a dramatic point"; 3) "When watching the Final Cut Blu-Ray (Disc 3) on my PS4 I did experience the audio drop-off at ~2:00:00 mark, during the plantation scene. Lost the Atmos audio track for remainder of movie, the best part"; 4) "the blu ray mid way though the french plantation scene loses all sound."

So, looks like several folks are having problems with sound loss around the 2 hour mark during the plantation scene. It's always difficult to judge how valid comments are in reviews on Amazon, but several folks do appear to be having the same same issue.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Looks like I shouldn't get rid of my five dollar blu ray from Target. I already bought the new set. I notice the blu ray in the new set got a 3.75 on scale of 5 over at blu ray.com Inferior is a loaded word, unimpressive is more defined. In Ralph we trust.
I thought it was 3.2. Whatever. My impressive Blu-ray's rated 4.8 Video, 5.0 Audio, 4.7 Extras. I'm happy enough.

BTW they've rated the 4K UHD disc 4.6 Video, 4.6 Audio, Extras 4.5.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #10 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post

So, looks like several folks are having problems with sound loss around the 2 hour mark during the plantation scene. It's always difficult to judge how valid comments are in reviews on Amazon, but several folks do appear to be having the same same issue.
Several of the discs from this set have "seamless branching" authoring. This always generates a fair number of complaints, as players don't always like it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 34 Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Several of the discs from this set have "seamless branching" authoring. This always generates a fair number of complaints, as players don't always like it.
There used to be the layer won't change problem too. The more things change, the more they sorta don't...

post #12 of 34 Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Didn't even know this was coming out in 4k, what a treat! Christmas has come early this year! Thanks Ralph for your fantastic review! I will purchase with extreme prejudice!
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by erick granato; 09-15-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Great review, Ralph! This is one of my favorite films. I typically only get to it every 10 years or so, but every time I do, it’s well worth the watch.

I found the UHD presentation to be of excellent quality. I was surprised at just how much the UHD expanded color palette and use of HDR highlights were employed. The explosions and ensuing fire brought a level of realism that was truly breathtaking. I squinted my eyes a few times when the flames grew close! I settled for the theatrical cut - my wife was not ready to commit for the addition 30 minutes of the Final Cut (I’m pretty sure she fell asleep, although she denies it). For a movie that is older than I am, it sure looked great. I hope to see more catalog releases treated with the same care!

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #14 of 34 Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Didn't even know this was coming out in 4k, what a treat! Christmas has come early this year! Thanks Ralph for your fantastic review! I will purchase with extreme prejudice!
For what's in the set the price is really good , grab a copy before the marketing dept. at Lionsgate figures out they goofed.
Tom Riddle and Ralph Potts like this.

post #15 of 34 Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 4604
Just ordered.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Spoiler!
post #16 of 34 Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For what's in the set the price is really good , grab a copy before the marketing dept. at Lionsgate figures out they goofed.
Checked all of my sources to buy up here in Canada, Best Buy, Cinema 1, WallyMart, Sunrise Records and Amazon.ca, not even listed yet! WTF!
post #17 of 34 Old 09-16-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Checked all of my sources to buy up here in Canada, Best Buy, Cinema 1, WallyMart, Sunrise Records and Amazon.ca, not even listed yet! WTF!
Try ordering from Amazon U.S., has to be cheaper than what the second parties are getting on Amazon marketplace in Canada.

post #18 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try ordering from Amazon U.S., has to be cheaper than what the second parties are getting on Amazon marketplace in Canada.
I finally did see it on Amazon.CA but $74!!!! Can us Canadians order off Amazon.Com or does it default to Amazon.Ca?
post #19 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
I finally did see it on Amazon.CA but $74!!!! Can us Canadians order off Amazon.Com or does it default to Amazon.Ca?
"When it comes to regional restrictions, the good news is 4K Blu-ray discs have just one region code: worldwide. Essentially, they're region-free. They can be played on any 4K player, in any part of the world.Jul 24, 2019"
However the non 4K disks may not play in Canada.

If you have an Oppo UDP-203 you can buy a device which makes the player region free.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-17-2019 at 05:19 AM.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
You should be able to. In the US I can order from Amazon.CA if I want to.

Third party sellers sometime won't ship to other countries.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #21 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
^^^
There are various 3 and 6 disc versions being released around the world through Sept and Oct.
post #22 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are separate websites it won't default. I've ordered from different Amazon sites for different countries. Your sign-in and password should work on Amazon for any country.

post #23 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Forgive my ignorance, I just want to be sure I am reading the BBuy listing correctly.

I know it says 'digital copy' in the listing, Ijust want to be sure it means it is a digital download and not the actual disks (which would make sense given the price it is listed at)

I would prefer to get the disks but it seems BBuy isn't offering the disc version?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apocaly...?skuId=6356622

thanks
post #24 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL-350 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, I just want to be sure I am reading the BBuy listing correctly.

I know it says 'digital copy' in the listing, Ijust want to be sure it means it is a digital download and not the actual disks (which would make sense given the price it is listed at)

I would prefer to get the disks but it seems BBuy isn't offering the disc version?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apocaly...?skuId=6356622

thanks
That is the link to the six disc version that also include a digital download. So you get everything for $23.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #25 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sweet.

Thanks for clearing it up.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks folks, I'll give the Amazon.com a shot. Of course, will probably have to pay the shipping and exchange, might not be worth it. We always get short changed on things up here, sucks!
post #27 of 34 Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ralph, I don't know that I've ever taken issue with any of your reviews before, but if this Atmos mix doesn't earn a 100, I honestly don't know what would.

From the menu screen rain falling thru the height speakers, to the seemless tracking of the slo motion chopper effects in the opening scene as it circles the room, the chaotic, bombastic, aurally assaulting battle to secure the beach for surfing, to the nuanced and discretely placed bug noises in the jungle scene just before the tiger attack, I mean what more could you want? This audio track rivals any of the "reference" atmos tracks I've heard referred to here.

I was born in '76 so this movie is admittedly one that was before my time in regards to experiencing the cultural significance, but I understand the craft of it's creation and the power of its message, which is why I bought it. I just didn't even imagine the incredible care to the audio side they placed into this version.

I have to say this, I think you underrated it. This disc is the antithesis of the "mixed for sound bar" tracks we've been getting from a certain studio for a while now. The only knock I could really find was the monolog tracks of Martin Sheen's character seemed mixed a little hot.
Ralph Potts and Tom Riddle like this.

Last edited by trptguy; 09-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 09-18-2019, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy View Post
Ralph, I don't know that I've ever taken issue with any of your reviews before, but if this Atmos mix doesn't earn a 100, I honestly don't know what would.

From the menu screen rain falling thru the height speakers, to the seemless tracking of the slo motion chopper effects in the opening scene as it circles the room, the chaotic, bombastic, aurally assaulting battle to secure the beach for surfing, to the nuanced and discretely placed bug noises in the jungle scene just before the tiger attack, I mean what more could you want? This audio track rivals any of the "reference" atmos tracks I've heard referred to here.

I was born in '76 so this movie is admittedly one that was before my time in regards to experiencing the cultural significance, but I understand the craft of it's creation and the power of its message, which is why I bought it. I just didn't even imagine the incredible care to the audio side they placed into this version.

I have to say this, I think you underrated it. This disc is the antithesis of the "mixed for sound bar" tracks we've been getting from a certain studio for a while now. The only knock I could really find was the monolog tracks of Martin Sheen's character seemed mixed a little hot.

Greetings,

Thanks for your feedback. I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed this track which does sound terrific. Despite not receiving a perfect rating its low reference rating is no slouch. At some point I will surely revisit it and, if I rated it too low, may reconsider. In the meantime we can all admit that it looks and sounds GREAT!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 34 Old 09-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've never seen this movie. My dad who was in the field in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968 saw it in the theater and walked out saying that it didn't look real in any way. Is it worth watching?
post #30 of 34 Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
I've never seen this movie. My dad who was in the field in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968 saw it in the theater and walked out saying that it didn't look real in any way. Is it worth watching?
YES! Watching is mandatory or you will need to wear a dunce cap everywhere you go for the rest of your life and the right to watch movies in the future is revoked.

And yes a movie is not the same as being a grunt in battle.
Ralph Potts and Tom Riddle like this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page